LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gabapentin -- do side effects go away?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gabapentin -- do side effects go away?
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a prescription for gabapentin from LLMD.

I tried two pills yesterday and got dizzy and nauseous and none of the neuro symptoms went away. I had to take a Zofran. It was okay for sleep but I woke up with a really mild headache.

Do I need to keep taking it on a schedule and let the side effects dissipate or should I assume gabapentin is a bust?

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would call dr. J on Monday and ask his opinion.

In the meantime: "How long does it take for Gabapentin to work?
While some people notice the antimanic and antidepressant effects within a week or two of starting treatment, others have to take a therapeutic amount of gabapentin for up to a month before feeling a significant improvement.
You should notice that your pain starts to alleviate over 1-2 weeks after starting gabapentin, but it may take a little longer in some people. On the other hand, some people feel the benefit straight away." from http://www.emedexpert.com/facts/gabapentin-facts.shtml

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most websites and comments on websites say that side effects usually lessen or go away w time. Nonetheless, I would still give dr. J a call on Monday if you are concerned and prior to stopping it.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The effects should go away within a couple of days. Two pills though? Do you know what milligrams they were? Mine are 600 and taking just 1/2 of one has a major effect on me. I love Gabapentin but I could never take two.

I have taken a whole one at one point and it really threw me for a loop. 1/2 a pill is a great dose for me though.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're 300. So I took one in the afternoon and one before bed.

I don't really have pain or mania. It's all weird neuro stuff and that seemed worse somehow yesterday on the G.

I've been working on a theory that it's better with benedryl of all things. At least in the past two days it has been. Maybe it's blocking histamine from immune complexes? Ugh who knows.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
give it a try... When I first started taking it I took both 300 mg pills at once... I was quite doped up... couldn't walk straight and running into things...

My neuro head jazz felt weird too.

I think I got some mild headaches and was super sleepy. This seems to have gotten better and this is only like my third week!

After taking it I seemed to have better head times and I got whizzed up thinking it was the Gabapentin. It still may be helping but my Dr thinks... (and I think too) that it is the Mepron helping the most.

All the best!

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Taking benedryl and bactrim ( babs?) today I actually did not have a nightmare day. We might be in the same boat [Smile] .
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd definitely try just 300. That's what I take every night now. And Bactrim has definitely been one of my favorites. (:
Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Yeah for sleep it seems like it might work, from one day's experience with this drug.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Side effects .. the heart:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21644108/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Interesting. Thanks 2.
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

That case report was after Lyrica use. Lyrica is much more dangerous than Gabapentin from what I understand (but of course everything has risks). I have a Lyrica prescription but after reading horror stories I never took it.
Jordana
Member # 45305

This is such a massive crapshoot. The psychotropics adjust neurotransmitters in the brain. If that hammer of a drug hits the nail of your brain imbalance; then you get a hit, sometimes a home run.

If not then it's best to stop. But if you've got the script, a three to five day trial wouldn't do anything irreversible.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Yep, a massive crapshoot. I'm just now starting to come to grips with that and be ok with it. I think I'll stay away from Lyrica though. If I remember right, it has a long half-life. And it's really expensive. I think it had more (scary) interactions with my other meds too. Mostly heart stuff if I remember right.
Jordana
Member # 45305

Nah you could probably try it if you're ambivalent about feeling worse/potentially ER worthy for eight hours.

For us that's a big if.

The other side is it could be a hit. There are good things about Lyrica. Some people, millions, are grateful God made Lyrica.

But -- if you're a cardiac Lyme person it might be the wrong bark entirely to eat.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Yeah, you're right. But at $350 a month for lyrica, it's gonna have to stay on the bottom of my list. (My insurance doesn't cover prescriptions). Gabapentin only costs me $4 per month. One of my cheapest meds for sure. (:
Jordana
Member # 45305

Want my Cymbalta? I paid 425 dollars for it and never touched it.
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Lol I think I'll pass on that one. I actually bought the Lyrica and never touched it either. I've done that with way too many expensive meds. I just paid $300 for tetracycline and only took it a few days. I started IV vancomycin so I quit the tetra. It was too many antibiotics all together.

I think next time something is that expensive, I'm gonna ask the pharmacy to only give me a one week supply. That way if I don't take it I won't be out nearly as much money!

Cash is depleting quickly, so I'm having to be extremely careful with what I buy at this point. Yea Lyme. /:

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Lyrica and Cymbalta .. NO GO for my body. I think the Lyrica made me feel terrible and the Cymbalta made my pain worse.

I was very worried about getting hooked on Cymbalta and then have to get off of it.. (horror stories).. but I never lasted long enough.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

That's why I never took it. Now I'd take anything that helped but it seems like nothing really does.
madisongrrl
Member # 48682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madisongrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordana:
They're 300. So I took one in the afternoon and one before bed.

I don't really have pain or mania. It's all weird neuro stuff and that seemed worse somehow yesterday on the G.

I've been working on a theory that it's better with benedryl of all things. At least in the past two days it has been. Maybe it's blocking histamine from immune complexes? Ugh who knows.

I'm on 2400 mg of gabapentin for severe nerve pain, so I have a bit of experience with it

You should be very slowly titrating up on this drug. A common titration schedule would be to take 300 mg/day for 5 days, then titrated up to 600 mg/day for 5 days etc. Your problem might have been - too much, too soon.

Posts: 30 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I had 100mg. tried 6 times had terrible effects. Finally cut to 50mg could do it. Now on highest dose go figure.

It helps about 5 of my symptoms from migraines, cluster headaches, neuropathy, finding words was unable to get out complete sentences at 1 time.

Have to be patient. Lyrica seems to be a problem here. It has gaba also many additives. I will not take either.

Hugggsss to all in need.

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement