LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My PICC has a crack ):

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My PICC has a crack ):
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top of the PICC where the extension screws on has a crack. ): It leaks. Someone probably screwed the extension on too tight at some point and made it crack.

Anyone ever have this problem? I love my PICC line. It works so well. I hate I'm having this problem with it.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might have to get a new one.

Don't risk infection.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I will need a new one. This one was so hard to get. ): maybe I should try for a port.
Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Port was a real commitment to illness/wellness but its nice to unplug and pretend im normal...my brother called it my dune attachment .totally freaks out my significant other

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I just watched a video of a port being inserted. Yikes! I don't think my body can take the trauma of a minor surgery. I had a heart monitor inserted, and I think it was probably a similar procedure. Not sure I can go through that again right now.

How was it for you blue?

Notti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry Sam, but you should ask your doctor for advice as soon as possible.
If the hub is cracked there is a risk for infection or air embolism and if the hub breaks you have an acute situation.
In all probability you need to have it replaced.
Make sure to keep the clamp closed, just to be safe.

Posts: 109 | From The Netherlands | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thanks Notti. My line doesn't have a clamp actually. It has an internal valve instead. Luckily it looks like the crack is above the valve (I hope anyway).

Right now the leaked vancomycin has kinda dried up and crusted over the crack and plugged it up, so it's not leaking at the moment. (I know, that's bad).

I'll call my nurse tomorrow. This is all so depressing. I fight so hard every day, and things like this just make it so much harder. I'm so tired.

[ 11-28-2016, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: SickSam ]

Notti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it's tough.
Keep the faith that there are better days to come and keep fighting.
You will find a solution.

Posts: 109 | From The Netherlands | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Sick Sam. I would get that looked at ASAP. It is not worth the risk. Maybe there is something else that can be done to keep current picc line in.

Please keep us posted. I have a picc line now too and it is so nerve wracking, worrying all the time about infection. [group hug]

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thank y'all. I wish I could just dab some super-glue on there, but I'll refrain from that.

Dbpei, I've been so careful about minimizing infection risk and so far so good. My line has been in about 3 months I think.

I use "swabcaps" on the end of my line to keep it germ-free. It's just a screw-on alcohol cap you keep on your line when it's not being used. I highly recommend these things, it's a great infection prevention measure. You can google "SwabFlush" to see exactly what I use.

I also use sterile surgical gloves every time I use the line. Overkill I know, but as I always like to say, "better safe than dead!" I found them online for about 50 cents a pair.

I always worry about the thing getting malpositioned or causing clots or breaking off in my body. It really is very nerve-wracking. I can't wait to get this thing out.

I'm getting a rife machine, recommended by my doc. I'm really hopeful that maybe it'll work better and safer than these IV abx.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your broken PICC line. You didn't get to try IV antibiotics for very long.

Hopefully the Rife treatment will work out better for you so you'll start to feel better soon.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this! When I had a PICC line, it developed a leak after I had had it not too long. Anyway, get it looked at pronto. You don't want to risk infection. Most likely you do need another line---sorry!

I got a port after that, and I was very glad I did. I had to fight for one for a whole year! A port is so reliable for years.

I hope it all goes well, whatever you decide. It wasn't too bad to have it put in (for me). But you know your body better than anyone else. This is a bumpy road to be sure.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thank y'all. (: I think I'll try for another PICC. I thought I was careful with this one. Guess I'll just be super careful with the next one.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't your fault. But if what you said was the issue, ask the nurses to be careful of not screwing the clave on too tight.

Strangely enough, recently, my IV nurse screwed on my hydration line so tightly that my husband had to get a wrench to unscrew it!! It would not unscrew any other way! Was I ever glad I wasn't alone. No way could I have handled this with the neuropathy in my hands.

(He used a clean pair of gloves between it, so the wrench wouldn't make the line dirty).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't mess around, get it looked at pronto by a doc/nurse.

I had to get a picc pulled and one placed in my other arm. It was a bummer, but you don't want an infection caused by a device that goes straight into your heart.

Posts: 133 | From North Shore | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Wow Rumi, a wrench! Now that's a tight line.

Neko, ugh, you're giving me anxiety! But in a good way. I gotta remember this thing could really be dangerous for my heart. I actually needed the reminder, so thanks for that.

I've been calling our local "PICC team" for three days now. No one will call me back. You'd think they'd be all over a leaking PICC line.

In the meantime, I'm wrapping the crack in sterile gauze to help keep germs away.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you get this handled ..can you get a port ordered ?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I think I'm gonna try for another PICC or maybe a midline. Midlines are so easy, they just don't last very long.
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Port is like a midline inplanted ..plus or minus some hubor needles .still wishing you luck .you are a gee

--------------------
Blue

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midlines are nothing like Ports!!!

A port is surgically implanted. It is a much greater commitment. You only need a port if you will be on IV's for several years. Otherwise, you should get a PICC line.

A PICC line can easily last over a year if well taken care of. They are much more appropriate for most
Lyme patients as IV antibiotics are temporary treatments.

Only those that need IVIG for lifetime should really get a port.

Midlines are not comparable to ports. They are not a central line. Not all meds can be infused through Midlines. They are shorter. Therefore, they clot off easier and are not salvageable. They tend to last at max between 2- 6 weeks.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

An Interventional Radiologist can place PICC lines. Ask your doctor to send new orders to the hospital for this since the PICC line department has not responded yet.

I've had PICCs placed both ways by certified PICC/ IV Therapy RN's and Interventional Radiologists. I now prefer to have them done by the Interventional Radiologist. It was a quicker, less uncomfortable procedure.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Since the PICC team never responded, I got my home health nurse to call my doc (my doc never responds either). It took three phone calls, but she finally got orders to remove my PICC and new orders for me to take to our PICC team for a new one to be put in

I love my home health nurse! She takes good care of me.

Our PICC team at the local hospital are RNs. I love them, they're fabulous. So far they've put in two PICCs and two midlines for me. Very quick and good at what they do. Just not sure why I was having such a hard time getting them to respond this time.

[ 12-07-2016, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: SickSam ]

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could go weekly for dressing changes to the hospital that inserted my picc line. When I called my LLNP's office yesterday to ask about this (my insurance is going to stop covering on 12/10) they acted like they never heard of this before [Frown] .

SickSam, did you run into any resistance like this before getting local hospital picc team help covered?

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I never have any trouble getting any hospital treatment covered, PICC care included. I am fighting to get the IV abx covered though.

My nurse says a lot of people change their own dressing. She said she actually learned how to do it in a room full of patients and their families who were learning how to do it. If I weren't too sick to go have my blood drawn every week, I'd probably change the dressing myself (or let my wife do it). It's nice to have my nurse come draw my blood every week though.

dbpei
Member # 33574

I don't know how anyone could remove and place the statlock without an extra pair of hands... But it must be great if you learn that you can do your own dressing changes and have confidence that things are being done correctly!
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I've actually watched people on YouTube doing it. Tricky, but possible! Really though, my wife would probably be the one to do to it.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

So did you get the PICC removed, I hope?? It has been worrisome to hear about this issue not being responded to for so long---dangerous!
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Yeah it's out. Nice to have some freedom from it for a little while! I still can't believe the PICC team never responded to me.

I'll be getting a new one soon though.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Good to hear ssam...
thanks for the correction sammy i was thinking of a hickman line ..

rumi -did you get yours working ok?

--------------------
Blue

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement