LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Manganese Deficiency and MCS connection??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manganese Deficiency and MCS connection??
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on another board said that MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) is associated with manganese deficiency.

I have never heard that and have no idea if it is true, but we do know that Lyme disease depletes our manganese.

Here is proof in case you didn't see that one awhile back:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/24/lyme-disease-bacteria-immune-system-iron_n_2934134.html

So, can we just supplement manganese?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting read!

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6147 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would absolutely NOT supplement Manganese. That is the worst possible thing you can do because the Lyme will grow out of control. Lyme needs manganese, and infact it needs a lot of manganese.

You might remember that study where the reason Claritin worked is because it reduced Manganese in the system.

From personal experience, once I removed al foods high in manganese from my diet, I started making more and more gains in overall health.

You can weaken it dramatically by cutting off its supply which then makes it more susceptible to antibiotic treatment.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 12-05-2016, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJB
Member # 48059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really interesting about the Claritin~anyone take it daily to assist w/ treatment?
Posts: 62 | From VA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did for a while, but you cant take high enough doses of Claritin to achieve that result. What I really took away from that is to cut off manganese in my diet because it was something tangible I could do. Very similar in a way to the iron depletion diet for Malaria.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating Lymetoo if that's the case (MCS and manganese deficiency). I've been limiting manganese for a while.

Good stuff Christoper!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dr. K has found a high correlation between patients with chronic Lyme disease and those with Kryptopyrroluria (KPU), or more precisely Hemopyrrollactamuria (HPU).

The condition is alternatively known as the "Mauve Factor....
HPLs bind to zinc, biotin, manganese, vitamin B6, arachidonic acid and other important compounds and lead to a significant depletion of these substances in the body."

http://www.publichealthalert.org/kpuhpu-a-major-piece-of-the-puzzle-in-overcoming-chronic-lyme-disease.html

I wonder if/how MCS and KPU/HPU are related?

**editing out doctor's name**

[ 12-04-2016, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manganese is kind of dangerous. No one really knows what it does for sure and it's not a necessary part of the diet in the trace amounts we ingest.

A high manganese diet was connected to prion diseases in cattle so that was enough for me not to supplement it.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not suggest decreasing manganese in the diet myself. Living with MCS is not fun .. not in the least.

My battle is no longer the lyme, it's the MCAS and the resulting MCS.

I've wondered many times about the HPU/KPU but I don't seem to have the symptoms of it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think MCAS is still a response to a latent infection of some kind. This paper has a list of histamine antagonists they're using in research.

https://www.biotrend.com/download/BTReview_Jan2010_Mastcell.pdf

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's the chicken and egg thing. Some of us know this has been in our genetics for many generations.

I think it's there, and then it's kicked off by something. For me, it was ramped up by a stressful event several years ago.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does a manganese free diet look like?

am very interested, anyone know about this?

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Why would you want to limit it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well theoretically if you starve your body of manganese, you also starve BB of it at the same time.

however, multiple places say bb will ultimately be fine and find the manganese it needs one way or another, so maybe it wont work.

at least one doctor is using a Mang. chelating agent called para-aminosalicylic acid to treat Lyme, it also happens to be an antibiotic

-----------------------------------

http://www.bayarealyme.org/blog/alternative-treatments-for-lyme-disease/

“A second tier anti-tuberculosis drug called para-aminosalicylic acid (PAS) can bring down manganese levels in the human body and make life very tough for the Lyme bacteria, but there have been no clinical studies in this area, and PAS is not for everyone. (Borrelia will feel the effects of manganese deficiency long before humans, as humans are no

“My anecdotal experience with PAS is that, at 2/3 the dose recommended for treating tuberculosis, it takes about two weeks to bring down manganese levels enough for the organism to start to suffer and for patients to feel a deeper level of relief. I have had no one report that 10 mg of loratadine was doing anything for them one way or another. That doesn’t mean it won’t or can’t but, again… what is the correct dose, and if the correct dose for doing this is well beyond the normal dose then there will there be untoward reactions to taking so much loratadine? The problem is no one knows yet.

“I have used PAS for a couple of years now, but not just with Lyme. I have used it in patients who exhibit Parkinsonism, because for many there is manganese-toxicity in the parts of the brain that deal with dopamine. I have seen it work many times, so I know it is bringing down manganese levels. Using PAS at a fraction of the dose used to treat TB also makes me feel comfortable using it off-label.

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Someone on another board said that MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) is associated with manganese deficiency.

I have never heard that and have no idea if it is true, but we do know that Lyme disease depletes our manganese.

Here is proof in case you didn't see that one awhile back:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/24/lyme-disease-bacteria-immune-system-iron_n_2934134.html

trust me .. you do not want to add MCS to your list of woes

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lapis29:

[QB]

at least one doctor is using a Mang. chelating agent called para-aminosalicylic acid to treat Lyme, it also happens to be an antibiotic

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement