LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diarrhea from IV Rocephin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diarrhea from IV Rocephin?
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started having loose, frequent stools soon after starting IV Rocephin. I have been taking sacro B as well as VSL#3 and my LLNP wants me to increase their dosage, which I just did yesterday.

When you have the runs soon after starting a new antibiotic, does this mean you have a sensitivity toward that drug? I hate to stop taking it because I am noticing some subtle improvement over time.

This has been going on about a month, but getting a little worse over time instead of better. Has anyone else had this side effect? And did it ever clear? I don't feel nauseous or feverish so I am hopeful that this is not C-Diff.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Common Rocephin side effects may include:

•mild diarrhea"

https://www.drugs.com/rocephin.html

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dbpei:

When you have the runs soon after starting a new antibiotic, does this mean you have a sensitivity toward that drug?

I really hope not, because every Abx I have been on, except Doxy, gives me diahrea. It is managed with probiotics and Florastor. But that doesn't mean it isn't causing diahrea.
Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think it is okay to continue using these ABX even if they give you these side effects? I hate to have to stop now because I am having some better days that I haven't had in ages.

I will double up on my probiotics (suggested by my LLNP also) and hope for the best!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carbs and atbx will give you diarrhea .

Are you eating carbs?

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second what joe says ...but alinia helps ..maybe gut protozoan ?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Shoeless, Joe, reducing carbs didn't seem to make a difference. I was eating carbs (some but not a lot) before the rocephin with no problem. I didn't develop the runs until after the IV rocephin.

Before that I had been taking oral malarone, tetracycline, and Valtrex with no problem (am still). It was when we added rocephin and actigal to the mix that the frequent trips to the bathroom started. I did try reducing carbs at that time, but to no avail.

Oh, I almost forgot. I am pulsing IV flagyl too!

I think I have a sensitivity to drugs in this family because this happened to me a few years ago when I took (oral) Omnicef. I remember my LLMD switching me to Ceftin and it helped. I don't think there is a substitute for IV Rocephin in the same family of drugs, though, to be taken intravenously.

I wonder if the malarone is working on any gut protozoa. My LLNP had mentioned wanting me to try alinia a few months back. I see her in a couple of weeks and will bring it up again. Maybe that to replace the malarone would be worth investigating.

Thanks for your input everybody!

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my opinion

Lat a lot of drugs to throw at your body and especially your gut all at once.

Any reason you can't just tackle the rocephin first without eating carbs and them tackle to other drugs as tolerated.

I could never handle that,never

Most people couldn't without side effects.

Cant keep having diarrhea ,you are destroying your gut and will end up with dysbiosis and years which is a disaster.

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Yes, I agree - so much to throw at my body all at once, shoeless... I will continue to work on my diet but I have a feeling it is a sensitivity I have to this drug alone. [Frown]

I have had this infection for a long time and I have tried so many alternative treatments with the hope I could avoid ABX. Nothing has helped as much as the IV rocephin.

Perhaps we can begin to elminate some of the other ABX and possibly make a substitution for the IV Rocephin and see what happens. I certainly don't want to end up with a destroyed gut in addition to the other damage this disease has caused.

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

I did orals for years with no improvements.

Iv rocephin is what helped me,8 months of it.

If I ate to many carbs I would get the runs.

Its not easy to get on IV rocephin.

Again just my opinion but I would cut out the other meds stay on the rocephin and cut out the carbs,see if you gut can handle that.

Hope you figure it out,so many decisions

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get checked for c diff. I had c diff after a kidney infection and had no symptoms that made us think it was c diff at all. I just thought it was a slow recovery. I didn't even have diarrhea.

Three YEARS later, I realized I was declining and went to a functional medicine doctor who diagnosed the c diff from a stool test.

I never bounced back from that kidney infection. I had been doing really well post Lyme, but obviously, the raging gut infection kept my energy levels down. Not down like Lyme, I was still working, working out, etc., but not where they were prior to the infection.

I'm still working on healing my gut, going on 2 years now. I ended up with a really imbalanced GI tract.

No Lyme symptoms though. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Sorry you went through that sixgoofykids. Thanks for the heads' up. I think the problem for me is that I had a colonoscopy about 10 days before I started IV rocephin.

My LLNP tells me that clearing all that good bacteria with the prep probably caused some of this. I am doubling up on my probiotics and already noticing an improvement.

Bowel motility is certainly active, but mostly in morning and after meals. I will get checked for C Diff if it does not continue to improve. I am glad you are doing better and with no lyme symptoms! [Smile]

tickbite666
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbite666     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to increase Florastor up to 4 capsules a day while on IV Rocephin. I Also was taking VSL#3 DS strength. Once it stopped I gradually reduced to normal dose.
Posts: 119 | From ground zero | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad the probiotics are helping!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement