LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MS or lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MS or lyme
Jenene
Member # 49398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!!

I started treatment 2 weeks ago for Lyme. The past few days my 4 smaller toes and my pinky and ring finger keep going numb on my right side.

The reason I'm asking is because I never had a 100% sure lyme test come back positive and there was the possibility of this being MS.

Would these symptoms show up after treatment if they are new to me?

--------------------
Jk

Posts: 88 | From Nj | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What antibiotics are you on? Some antibiotics can cause neuropathy I believe.

When I first started treatment I had NEW symptoms show up and yes symptoms show up throughout treatment.

I think it was tincup that told me to think of them as fireworks and celebrate because that means bacteria is dying... LOL

I didn't ever have a 100% positive lyme test either, but I'm treating for Lyme and have seen small improvements. I'm not too far into treatment either.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be many reasons for that to happen.

Keep in mind that there is NO definitive test for MS. It is a diagnosis of exclusion.

Lyme is usually the cause of MS symptoms .. also look to viruses.

But the finger issue could be other things as well.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You herxed 2 days after starting lyme treatment, so you have lyme disease.

I doubt you also have MS.

By reading your old posts, it seems to me that you are just taking Bactrim. Is that correct?

When you ask questions about symptoms, it is always good to tell us what meds you are on because some symptoms can be side effects of meds.

Numbness is not a side effect of Bactrim, however. But, numbness IS a symptom of lyme. See p. 10 of Burrascano:

Tingling, numbness, burning
or stabbing sensations,
shooting pains, skin
hypersensitivity

See this quote:

"It is clear that in the great majority of patients, chronic Lyme is a disease affecting predominantly the nervous system." (p. 4)

So, as lyme attacks the nerves, you get the various symptoms named such as numbness, burning, pins and needles, etc.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They tried to pin Lupus on me this time around. I'm just not taking that diagnosis, especially since I had the Lyme rash and classic Lyme symptoms. Last time - 11 years ago- I got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which was reversed with Lyme treatment.

Maybe I have Lupus, which is an autoimmune disease like Hashimoto's but I feel it can be reversed, since it was caused by Lyme. Lyme causes inflammation, inflammation causes autoimmunes.

Is MS an autoimmune?

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get a diagnosis of MS, you go to the neurologist and they do some functional tests, and if anything seems abnormal then you can get an emg, where they push a lot of needles into your body and see the response of your nervous system. Then they'll do an MRI of your brain.

In my case, you wouldn't believe the things I've had happen since my Lyme became symptomatic. The most insane stuff has happened to me, 1000 times worse than this "numbness and tingling" stuff. And every test I've taken has been completely normal. Lyme causes spots on your brain -- I don't have any, but it can, and they can look like MS.

I know it drives you crazy to have no support or explanation for the stuff that happens except "lyme" and I wouldn't believe it myself if it wasn't happening to me.

Go through the testing if it will ease your mind but it really probably isn't MS.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenene
Member # 49398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thanks, yes I am on Bactrim only. The only other thing I am trying is essential oils. The Dr did say mine was neurological Lyme.

I wasn't sure if you could get new symptoms during treatment.

I am really hoping this treatment will work.

I guess this is s sign that it is working

Fireworks!!!!!

--------------------
Jk

Posts: 88 | From Nj | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can definitely get new symptoms during treatment. If you make the little bugs mad enough they can do all kinds of new things!

Also, when I started treatment, Bactrim was my only antibiotic too. It helped a lot, but many symptoms it never helped. Some symptoms just got worse on it, probably because I have a coinfection that Bactrim wasn't killing. Could be the same for you too.

It's way too early to tell if that's the case for you too, but If that happens, don't give up, just keep trying different antibiotics!

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenene
Member # 49398

Thank you. It's a lot to wrap my brain around the fact I may never get better!! I am trying to be hopeful though.

I was never one to take meds. I always tried the natural route.

I'm struggling with the fact that I may need antibiotics on and off for the rest of my life.

I'm trying to be positive but as you all may know this is a very hard thing to go through!!

--------------------
Jk

Jenene
Member # 49398

I just saw one of your posts and I do have spots on my brain.

MS is autoimmune

--------------------
Jk

Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of people have spots on their brains. It's actually not diagnostic -- you have to have new symptoms and new spots to get diagnosed.

Most people in the Lyme world aren't convinced that MS really exists. There are no autoimmune markers for MS; just symptoms and an MRI. Mostly our crowd is pretty convinced that MS is Lyme.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117839;p=0

Topic: Could (misdiagnosed) MS be Lyme?

Many links here about the Lyme-MS connection - and how "autoimmune" often really is not what it seems but the body trying to fight a tenacious stealth infection.

Also detail about other tick-borne infections, other stealth infections (such as Cpn) that can cause "MS" as well as environmental causes & complexities.

Key nutrient factors discussed, too. But good nutrients, alone, will not be enough to address the issue.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Jenene -- you will get better. Of course. It's a matter of making one adjustment to your lifestyle after another and being extremely patient.

The craziest thing about this disease is that it changes over time. When I first suspected I had Lyme, I had twitches and facial paralysis and all kinds of GI misery, and so many visual disturbances I basically could not see.

Now my symptoms are totally different. I rarely twitch, now I feel like I'm walking/sitting on marshmallows all the time and turning my head a certain way makes me feel like I'm falling down an elevator shaft. I barely have anything left from my Lyme a year ago.

Am I better? Am I worse? Who knows?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, there is no test for MS ..

You will DEFINITELY get MORE symptoms while treating Lyme. They will come out of the woodwork.

RELIABLE information on Lyme and coinfections:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088555;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is video from dude from ks...at top they said his dx is ms ..clearly you can spirochetes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJBBHZSCdb8&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MS is lyme and company. I wouldn't waste my time on the testing. TF is right, you wouldn't have herxed if you didn't have lyme.

Conventional medicine makes up new names for things they cannot explain (lyme gives them so much to work with). They just aren't familiar with lyme thanks to the idsa's bad identifying guidelines, test, etc.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenene
Member # 49398

Thanks for the links and support!! It is so nice to have this group because this is so complicated and no one understands!!!

I have so many questions!!!

--------------------
Jk

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Amen, Catgirl! You got it~~!

Jenene .. keep the questions coming! We're here for ya!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you watched "Under Our Skin?" It will help explain some very important things to know regarding Lyme:

http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v21055812yWtmpgB8

Many of are misdiagnosed with MS, rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson's, and the list goes on.

Please keep asking questions. You have a wonderful support group.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenene
Member # 49398

Thanks to everyone!

--------------------
Jk

thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatdudefromkansas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with MS, and am seeing and LLMD for treatment.

See my posts in the microscopy forum.

I do microscopy, actively searching for borrelia in blood and cultures.

I am convinced they are one and the same, but treatment is another story altogether.
Is it a condition caused by Borrelia, but cannot be reversed even with eradication of the bacteria?
Is it, as Dr. Alan MacDonald pointed out, a symbiotic infection of both the borrelia bacteria and an unidentified parasitic roundworm in the brain?

this is what I am actively pursuing now.

Posts: 163 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dude ...how do you plan on treating the helminith part ?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thatdudefromkansas,

My mom has M.S. and I have lyme and all co infections. She has tested positive for lyme too, and a few specifically new symptoms went away with treatment.

Her classic M.S. symptoms did not improve one bit.

I agree with you that there has to be something a bit different going on.

Keep up the good studying work! We need heroes like you!!! [Smile]

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement