LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hashimotos?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hashimotos?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For any of you that have it, how are you treating it and have you had any improvement?
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefi42
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stefi42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With diet! For me this has been key! I'm completely gluten free and it has greatly helped me. I have been diagnosed recently and with a million other things that I'm trying to treat, I've only been able to do my diet change for now.

There is this great book called The Root Cause by Dr. Isabella Wentz on treating Hadhimotos. It's a great read! I definitely recommend it

Posts: 113 | From Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bam
Member # 47540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Hashimoto's for a long time. After much trial and error with my doctor some years ago, I finally started feeling well taking a combination of synthetic T4, and half a grain of compounded timed release desiccated thyroid.

Prior to that, I had been taking only T4 with which I still had symptoms.

This combination gives me both T4 and T3 (and the dessicated has some T2 and T1), which mimic what the healthy thyroid makes on its own.

It takes a bit of experimenting to find the right levels. Careful to not go hyper by increasing too fast, it's not a good situation.

Some people do fine adding synthetic T3 instead of dessicated.

Posts: 28 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bam
Member # 47540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, going gluten free made a big difference. Eventually I stopped all grains, which is even better. My energy went way up.
Posts: 28 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies.

I have been gluten free for years.....I suspect there are more food triggers as well.

Bam - I was put on thyroid meds a few years ago and it sent me to hyper so I was taken off of it.

Maybe my new Dr will have a better plan.
(fingers crossed)....

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diet(for me it's dairy and gluten) and getting rid of the Lyme & Co's, which cause inflammation, which causes autoimmunes.

I virtually reversed my Hashimotos. That was 11 years ago when I first had Lyme,

Now I have Lyme & Cos again, and I can feel my thyroid acting up again. At least I know what I have to do!

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on synthroid for years and my LLMD just changed me to Armour. He says Armour works better. I asked him why bc I like to know the reasoning behind decisions, and he explained it. The reasoning made sense, but I don't remember what it was--sorry. :/

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Armour. It has glandular T3 and T4 in it. Synthroid just has a synthetic form of T4 so the body needs to be able to convert it to the active T3 form.

My doc also has folks try Naturethroid. Some do better on it, and some do better on Armour.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done well on Nature Throid.

Recently though I had to switch and start continuous Yasmin which has thrown off my hormone balance. I now have hypo symptoms.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

I've tried Synthroid and Armour and both sent me to hyper.

Thank you for the Nature Thyroid suggestion. I will ask about it.

Have any of you heard that it can be triggered by a food sensitivity due to leaky gut?

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that leaky guy can trigger thyroid and other autoimmune issues. A quick google search turned up several articles. Here is one: http://www.amymyersmd.com/2015/07/the-gluten-gut-and-thyroid-connection/

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thanks me [Smile]

We are trying to pinpoint the trigger. There's a food sensitivity test that has been recommended, but it's pricey.

I think I'm going to give it a shot.

me
Member # 45475

Momintexas, One thing that seems to help some is eliminating casein (the protein in milk products) from your diet.

Also, some people use entero labs for food sensitivity testing. It shows if you have autoimmune responses to foods. Here is info: https://www.enterolab.com

The president of Houston celiac association recommended entero labs to me several years ago. It showed a highly elevated autoimmune response to gluten and slightly elevated autoimmune response to casein. I've been trying to experiment with reintroducing casein recently to see if I am able to tolerate it.

Also, I found this article on pubmed re: leaky gut and autoimmune diseases:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22109896/?i=9&from=leaky%20gut%20and%20autoimmune%20diseases

Maybe more people will chime in regarding entero labs or other info.

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you me [Smile]

Cyrex Labs was recommended to me. I had not heard of them before.

I actually have been gluten and dairy free for years. The suspicion is corn and probably something else I'm eating daily

but don't even realize. I don't eat much corn, but have heard it's a common trigger as well and in most everything.

I will definitely ask about entero labs!

me
Member # 45475

MominTexas, You may know this, but just in case you don't, here are the 8 most common food allergies:

http://farrp.unl.edu/informallbig8

Another option rather than spend money is to do an allergen elimination diet:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet

Also, have you been checked for mast cell activation disorder?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23179866/

That may be something to look at. If so, a diet low in histamines may help.

Another thing: Have you had a full hormone work up recently (dhea, progesterone, pituitary, etc.?)

P. S. As fate would have it, I'm currently in the waiting room of an endocrinologist waiting for an ultrasound of my thyroid. Good times!!! [shake]

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Me -

how did your appointment go?

They haven't said anything about mast cell activation disorder, but I will ask. Thanks for mentioning it!

me
Member # 45475

Thanks for asking, MominTexas. They didn't see anything that looked suspicious. I almost fainted bc I it was finally good medical news for once!!! The doc didn't seemed happy that my LLMD changed me to Armour thyroid, but that's fine.

Here is some more info on Mast cell activation disorder. It seems many people with Lyme have mast cell activation disorder:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC96436/

http://www.mastcellaware.com/mast-cells/related-conditions.html

http://www.chronicpainpartners.com/when-food-allergies-are-actually-mast-cell-activation-syndrome/

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

So glad to hear your appointment went well!

Thank you for the links. I will check these out. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement