LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iodine Deficiency Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iodine Deficiency Questions
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD got me healthy again after a recent relapse but is still perplexed by my Iodine deficiency which has been happening for years. I eat seaweed snacks and supplement with Pure Encapsulations Iodine daily and am still deficient.

All my thyroid blood work is normal but my basal temperature is low so LLMD believes there is hypothyroid happening.

Has anyone who experienced this be able to clarify what could be causing deficiency?

Thanks,
Randy

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you examined your methylation status?
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seaweed snacks don't have much iodine. I was looking for natural supplements and was hoping they did, but nothing significant.

Dulse is one of the better sources. Nori sheets have it, too, even though they are so much like the snacks.

Are you sure it's an iodine deficiency causing the low thyroid? I'm taking Allergy Research Group thyroid support and it's helped a lot. It's glandular.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
IODORAL (tablet) is the best iodine supplement I've ever used. Top dose is 12.5 mg - or 125 mcg per day -- never more, though.

Key points important before taking.

Search archives for "Iodine" threads - some excellent educational links there and a major book on the matter, too, by Brownstein.

They answer you seek might be in a different brand - or in the pages of Brownstein's articles or book.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.drbrownstein.com/Iodine-Why-You-Need-It-p/iodine.htm

Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, 5th Edition

Brownstein book, videos, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.optimox.com/iodoral

Optimox IODORAL

http://www.optimox.com/iodine-research

research links
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be aware that sea weeds contain a natural MSG and too much can be over stimulating for many with lyme / adrenal issues. And too much can be a small amount for some of us.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The thyroid and adrenals are married, so to speak.

The Wilson book is so valuable to find answers, it's in this links set (and a thyroid book also mentioned in the thread) likely also has key points relative to your situation:

https://adrenalfatigue.org/

Adrenal detail - Dr. James Wilson - website & book link

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My energy is just in sparks but this keeps at me. And my sentences might be out of order a bit as I keep adding in "after thoughts". Just bear with me.

Just looked up the brand you say you take and it appears that the dose is nearly double of what is considered safe physiological nutrient requirement top dose of 125 mcg per day (12.5 mg)

Also check ALL other supplements / nutrients / protein powders, etc. to be sure your amount is not even higher. If you take kelp, that could add up, too, but more in a powder / pill form than in a little food.

Check the chip nutrient label for iodine amount in light of how much you consume and figure that out.

If you take too much, your thyroid can shut down - this can be very dangerous

and too much might also fool thyroid tests, I wonder?

you say you are still deficient [in iodine, I assume you mean] but those tests might have some variations. See what Brownstein says.

Still, going higher in supplemental iodine can boomerang.

If you have been taking that double amount for some time, though, it could be dangerous to just stop. The book tells you so much more.

You could be taking too much, according to the work of Brownstein in his articles / book.

Pure Encapsulations is usually excellent. This dose is of concern, though, as "amount per serving" would suggest that's in each pill ??

http://www.pureencapsulations.com/iodine.html

Amount Per Serving

iodine (as potassium iodide) 225 mcg

[far more than Brownstein suggests]
-

[ 12-26-2016, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

AJB
Member # 48059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to test methylation? We did the 23 and Me, but I don't see any reference to MTHFR.
Posts: 62 | From VA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJB, you can run your results through Genetic Genie and it will tell you about MTHFR.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not positive, but I don't think 23 and Me does health info anymore. Genetic genie site said something about certain tests would not show up with the new 23 and Me.

Below in quotes is what the site says.

"Does Genetic Genie still work since 23andMe stopped providing health information?

Yes. However, 23andMe recently changed their sequencing chip (they are now using their V4 chip) and no longer provides information on the following SNPs:
◦MTRR H595Y (rs10380)
◦MTRR R415T (rs2287780)
◦BHMT-04 (rs617219)
◦AHCY-02 (rs819134)
◦CBS N212N (rs2298758)
◦SHMT1 C1420T (rs1979277)

If you were genotyped recently by the new chip, these SNPs will not output information. If you have been genotyped in the past with the V3 chip, these SNPs will still output information."

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are very likely methylation issues because cholesterol and homocysteine levels are through the roof. Diet is very healthy and the supplements have little impact.

Someone suggested detoxing more and LLMD believes there are hypothyroid / adrenal issues in the mix.

Posts: 199 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Lugol's liquid iodine for years. I take 24.mg about 3 x week. I started on it when I had cysts in my thyroid that the doctor said would never go away, even though they were benign.

At that time I took upwards of 100mg a day to get rid of the cysts. It worked like a charm and in about 6 weeks the one I could palpate was half the size.

Its hard to over dose on iodine as your kidneys just excrete the excess. Dr Browstein says he's been on 200 mg a day for a long time... Don't recall what his health issue was.

For me, I take bio-identical hormones and my doctor insists that I take it to protect my body from excess estrogens. Got to keep those iodine receptor sites filled. I get my iodine from Ecuador because I like to support Greg Canton as the FDA ramrodded him bad. It comes from Alpha Omega labs and I purchase their 15% product. 3 drops several times a week.. I'd do it daily but I forget.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Hiker, they do health information again. Genetic Genie gave me a lot of information even if it left a few things out that it used to give.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement