LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fruit while on Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fruit while on Lyme?
lymeandceliac
Member # 48492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeandceliac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much contradictory info out there on eating fruit with Lyme. Is it good? Bad? Which ones to eat? Which to avoid? Help!!!
Posts: 81 | From Southern Ontario | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Check the GLYCEMIC INDEX. Low sugar fruits usually also contain things like chromium that can balance blood sugar (such as blueberries).

Low sugar high antioxidant dark, rich, bright BERRIES are best. Best after a well balanced meal, though, and also be sure to have anti-candida measures on board (such as olive leaf extract or other antifungal herbs).

IMO, some fruit is essential for the specific nutrients.

Be sure to get vitamin C, though, somehow. Berries are not that high in C.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am unable to digest veggies due to severe gastroparesis symptoms but I do tolerate all fruits well.

I see nothing wrong with anyone here eating fruit and when I see these kinds of questions it makes me sad. Fruit is full of colorful nutrients and vitamins! Eat it and enjoy!

If you are super worried about the bad sugars, eat the fruit with your protein. Balance your meal.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went without fruit for several years. That was over 20 years ago. I still have Lyme.

In other words...

LIVE!

Everything in moderation.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think dietary strategies help much. Of course if you're celiac or have a food allergy, avoid those, but Lyme is a parasite and eats us, not our food.

Some people who have brain disorders from Lyme do better on ketogenic diets, but otherwise I'm not sure if even that helps.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrekCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, "eat" the fruit or veggies, do not "juice" them. Your body gets a greater benefit from the chewing process.

--------------------
I still have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 138 | From Lost Wages | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are on antibiotics or have candida I would pass on the fruit.

Otherwise, berries are great due to their high concentration of antioxidants and their high pulp to fruit ratio making them a slower burning sugar. And as Sammy suggested, consume fruit after protein, healthy fats, and fiber.

Fruit is healthy in moderation but sugar is sugar and its called "natures candy" for that reason.

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
To help guard against candid overgrowth, along with common sense & planning, probiotics:

A very specific brand of Olive Leaf extract (or a brand that uses the same methods of growing, harvesting, processing) - Seagate. Detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Tincup (live), unless of course you are on abx.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never stopped fruits, not during lyme, not after lyme. I love fruits.

I still have sometimes candida, but what is helping me is to add live food (probiotic FOOD, not supplements) to my diet, daily, like a religion.

When candida is too high, I go slower with fruits.

The best in my opinion is to stop gluten. Somehow, gluten makes my digestion slow, it messes up with my digestion.

Fruits, veggies, never really mess with me. Only when I'm allergic to them.

Juices is though in my NO NO list. Too much sugar at once.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about the sugar in fruit? if you've got yeast, isnt it a problem?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flesh eating fungi

Carnivorous fungi

Fungi eat plants and leaves

Fungi and yeast eat everything.

Have you seen garlic with yeast? Of course, they eat garlic too.

Or onion with yeast? Of course, they get blackish or whitish, and stink alcohol.

Do they decompose your salad? Yep.

Ginger? Yep.

Fruits? Yep.

Some even decompose skin, meat, everything (see links above).

Are you going to eat what then? There is no choice.

Fungi / yeast are here to help decomposing organic matter.

they are also here to help your gut digest foods.

Without yeast / fungi, we may eat, but the nutrition in our food wouldn't be absorbed well by us and we could easily starve (despite eating good food).

Garlic, onion and lettuce have sugar, and virtually everything in nature is decomposed by fungi /yeast with the help of bacteria and insects.

What can we eat then?

Have you ever done the no-sugar no-carb diet, very strictly?

My candida does not bulge only with 'anti-candida' diet. It helps so minimally, one can barely notice.

This is because candida will find food in anything you eat. Of course, eating fruits in great amounts won't help.

But they contain good vitamins and nutrition. I always ate them moderately.

What stopped my candida now was simply adding kimchi (fermented garlic, onions, fish sauce, cabbage, chili pepper, etc).

I don't know if this will last, but usually Jan and Feb are my worst months with candida.

Now I have zero symptoms! Let's see if it will last. I'm still eating fruits (and all Xmas / year end cakes, champagne, wine....). Zero symptoms for the moment.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissVictoria
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissVictoria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fruit contains a lot of natural sugar, so if you have a yeast infection, you might want to avoid fruit until the yeast infection is gone.
Posts: 241 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeandceliac
Member # 48492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeandceliac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on antibiotics and do have celiac, so that complicates things. Aside from fruit, I'm mainly on a diet of grass fed beef and bison - there aren't many things my system can tolerate, and most veggies are out, so I'd like to keep on the fruit for nutrients. But it does sound like there's mixed reviews at best.
Posts: 81 | From Southern Ontario | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked at pages 34-35 of Burrascano's Guidelines? He tells you what fruits you can eat and which you can't while you are taking antibiotics.

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

It's easy to say 'stop eating fruits'.

Then add: 'stop eating carbs'. They are sugar too.

It remains only proteins to eat: meat, fish, chicken, tofu, stuff like that.

But proteins feed bacteria!!!

In my view, a balanced diet is the only way out, when one is a lyme sufferer.

It is much more important to stop eating foods that cause you allergy or reactions (such as gluten, sometimes cow milk products, fruits and veggies that you are allergic) because they will mess with your gut, digestion...

... boost inflammation, and then you make a perfect environment for bacterial, fungal and viral infections!

Plus you get all the nasty inflammatory symptoms that just wrecks your life.

Many people with lyme suffer from multiple allergies, specially food.

If you are not allergic to bananas, apples, but allergic to most other fruits, would you stop eating apples and bananas?

Take vitamin pills instead? And risk getting allergic to the chemicals in pills?

There is NO one single fitting for all diet. Unfortunately. It would be good if there were: just follow the book, and get well.

when I'm flaring with candida, of course I avoid sugar containing stuff, and diminish carb intake.

but gluten for me is more poisonous for candida than an apple or a banana. I flare clearly with gluten, and it lasts longer than the flares with fruits...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement