LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Coartem Sources....Help!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coartem Sources....Help!!!
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three years ago I threw a IGM of 1280 for Babesia Duncani through Igenex.

Clindy and Quinne failed, and after a few months Mepron and Zith no longer kept it down. Bactrim sorta helped, but eh didn't really make any long term progress.

I've been on a treatment plan of Coartem and Primaquine, and it seems to be working! Yay!

However, I've come to find now that Coartem (Riamet in Canada or UK) is basically unobtainable now for the time being due to manufacturer Novartis having "limited" supply and backorders.

In the past I've gotten it from several chain pharmacies (walgreens, etc), as well as from Canadadrugs.

Now...everybody is telling me it is currently unavailable. I really hate to quit a medicine thats working especially against the hell of babesia duncani.

Anybody have luck purchasing it in recent times, if so, where? My LLMD's office has no thoughts....

Posts: 106 | From Rural Michigan | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to hear it's helping you! How long have you been on the Coartem & Primaquine?

[ 01-18-2017, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: TNT ]

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I can't help you out, though, I am interested in how long you've been on the Coartem & Primaquine. I remember it didn't take PoconoLyme very long once she got on that protocol to finally kick Babesia.
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

I decided to look at one vendor online that I normally use, but they don't carry it. So I looked a little more and I found a place that has it. They have the name brand Coartem and they also have a generic Coartem made and shipped from India for MUCH cheaper! The generic tablet is the same exact ingredients, only 4 times the strength as the name brand. So you only have to take 2 pills daily instead of 8. And, of course, it's cheaper! I called them and talked to a salesperson and he verified they have both the name brand and the generic in stock.

Isn't that awesome?!

The salesperson sounded genuine and the website appears genuine too. The salesperson said they have to have a prescription and they take American Express, Discover, money orders, or check by mail as payment. Orders normally ship in 2-3 weeks and they have a 30 day shipping guarantee or you get a replacement order free or a refund. Sounds good enough for me.

Oh, and their name brand Coartem is at least half the price of what you can buy it locally in the U.S. for. I checked GoodRX.com for you on that.

Here's the site:

https://www.northdrugmart.com/drug-coartem.html

k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it since Sept.

Normal dosing of Coartem for the three days, then break of 10 days. While on break from Coartem taking the Primaquine.

Seems to actually be getting somewhere. Might not work for all people, but it seems to hit my strain of Babesia.

Posts: 106 | From Rural Michigan | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm,the protocol you're on is interesting .

Also, the fact that it is hard to get now, as I wanted to go back on it.

Plus, insurance doesn't usually cover it, & it's expensive, so it's good to know about other sources.

Is anyone else on this protocol?? If so, how is it going?

Is the Primaquine oral or IV?

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by k84:

Normal dosing of Coartem for the three days, then break of 10 days. While on break from Coartem taking the Primaquine.

Seems to actually be getting somewhere. Might not work for all people, but it seems to hit my strain of Babesia.

k84, how did that Coartem/Primaquine do for you? How are you doing now? Thanks!
TNT
Member # 42349

Also, has any forum member used this online pharmacy? Was it a good experience?

It seems legit, and it's funny I'm the one inquiring about it now since I'm the one that mentioned it, but I would like any feedback if someone has used it.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked the pharmacy up online last night. It has a lot of bad reviews, meds taking 6-8 weeks, etc. It's not at all clear that it's a legitimate pharmacy. Who knows about the meds, since they come from India, Turkey, etc. Of course, so do many other meds, but at least from good pharmacies.

But is Coartem still hard to get? I need to go back on treatment.

I also wonder how this protocol has worked for people.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by Rumigirl:
I looked the pharmacy up online last night. It has a lot of bad reviews, meds taking 6-8 weeks, etc. It's not at all clear that it's a legitimate pharmacy. Who knows about the meds, since they come from India, Turkey, etc. Of course, so do many other meds, but at least from good pharmacies.

But is Coartem still hard to get? I need to go back on treatment.

I also wonder how this protocol has worked for people.

I read of two members here that were cured of their Babesia in two months or less with Coartem and Primaquine. The one person is well-known PoconoLyme, but the other I cannot remember.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/134396#000014

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/134155?#000002

I checked with my local Walmart pharmacy the other day, and yes, it is available now. I never checked earlier this year. GoodRx.com has a decent coupon, although still twice as expensive as North Drug Mart.

As for North Drug Mart, are you sure you looked up reviews for the correct pharmacy? I decided to also do a google lookup for reviews and here is what I found:

Northdrugstore.com has bad reviews, but,

Northdrugmart.com has a few decent reviews and is probably a good online pharmacy, but it is not approved by Legitscript and may possibly have some risk with it.

http://www.nhssc.org/northdrugmart-com-review-potentially-safe-but-you-must-be-aware-of-the-risk/

http://www.prweb.com/releases/northdrugmart/canadianpharmacy/prweb8311035.htm

https://phrmreviews.com/r/northdrugmart-com-review-safe-place-order-meds/

https://www.rxstars.net/northdrugmart-reviews-suspicious-online-store-with-no-online-recognition/

http://www.pharmacyreviews.org/reviews/northdrugmart/

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used northdrugstore! [Smile] So far they haven;t stolen from me and even refunded my money when they couldn't fill my prescription for coartem.Sadly they seem to be out of it too.

They have been giving me quinine and daraprim though and they are pretty snappy about getting it to you. I like them.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
quote:
Originally posted by k84:

k84, how did that Coartem/Primaquine do for you? How are you doing now? Thanks!
I used Coartem for about 5 months until I just couldn't stand it anymore. It helped with my babesia symptoms, but didn't cure me. I was running Primiquine phosphate at a high dose, and I feel that was probably more helpful then the Coartem, but together they did SOMETHING.
SickofLyme2
Member # 16544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickofLyme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
k84, I am really bummed that the coartem and primaquine didn't work for you. How are you doing now, and what are you using for your Babesia? And, just curious, why couldn't you stand the Coartem any more?
Posts: 27 | From Central IL | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k84
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32738

quote:
Originally posted by SickofLyme2:
k84, I am really bummed that the coartem and primaquine didn't work for you. How are you doing now, and what are you using for your Babesia? And, just curious, why couldn't you stand the Coartem any more?

Coartem just seemed to make me sicker and sicker, without controlling babesia anymore.

Using high doses of Primiquine (along the lines of doses Aids patients use), I could buy myself about 6 months of remission from Babesia. Not sure about helpfulness long term as I currently am now back again with night sweats and short of breath.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement