LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Morgellon / Sporotrichosis cured and treated with potassium iodide ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morgellon / Sporotrichosis cured and treated with potassium iodide ?
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bjUYGNlx4M

It is quite fresh video, what do You think ?

Could this potassium iodide have some antipathogenic properties that could affect borrelia ?

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potassium iodide potentiates broad-spectrum antimicrobial photodynamic inactivation using Photofrin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28207234

Use of potassium iodide in Dermatology: updates on an old drug*
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3754371/pdf/abd-88-0396.pdf

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1823/potassium-iodide-oral/details

"Potassium iodide is used to loosen and break up mucus in the airways. This helps you cough up the mucus so you can breathe more easily if you have long-term lung problems (e.g., asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema). This medication is known as an expectorant." interesting...

sounds like antibiofilm drug

[ 02-20-2017, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: wrotek ]

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very interesting video, Wrotek. Re. Using potassium iodide in saturated solution for borrelia, a concern would be the health of the thyroid, by the sound of it.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

I dont think it would be a concern, only theoretical, on the contrary, are not thyroid diseases a result of borrelia ?like hashimoto ?

In second paper there is quote
"Powerful new drugs replaced potassium iodide
in dermatology practice, under the pretext that its
therapeutic dose was too close to being toxic.

On the other hand, better understanding of its mechanism of
action resulted in new questions regarding its optimal
dose and proper use, generating optimistic future perspectives
for a known, safe, inexpensive and effective
drug."

The question is "was the pretext real ? "

" The lack of scientific investigations
in this area could be justified by the lack of interest
from the pharmaceutical industry in this old and
unprofitable drug. "

(breaking up a paragraph for easier reading for many here)

[ 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For some infections, for a limited time, a "higher" dose might be of help yet it can have drawbacks. As PART of a overall anti-infective regimen, it might be best if needed for ongoing time periods.

IMO, it's not a workable treatment for a systemic infection of stealth proportions & of established length, yet, if there is a deficiency, that can cause all kinds of health issues.

And with physiological replacement dose, a person could feel much better. [It helps me but is no miracle.]

If there is too much, it can be very dangerous.

It's important to first be assessed as to if this is right for each person . . . and be aware of the 12.5 mg top dose daily still, that might be too much for some. How to figure it out, see Brownstein's work. Detail here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/133949#000000

Topic: Iodine - questions & links
-

[ 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

12.5 mg a day ? It is not even in the same ball park. Keebler have You read second paper i quoted ? You have said
quote:
IMO, it's not a workable treatment for a systemic infection of stealth proportions
based on what is this assumption ?

"PRESENTATION AND DOSAGE
The recommended dose of potassium iodide to
treat infectious diseases varies from 4 to 6g/day or 6
to 7.5 g/day for adults
, depending on the scientific
reference. "

"It is important to have all these considerations
in mind before administering the drug to a patient so
that the actual dose can be known. Toxicity or absence
of therapeutic response is often due to inadequate
dosage.
"

but
"However, the recommended dose for inflammatory
dermatoses is lower. It is approximately
1g/day for adults
, taken in three doses."

[ 02-21-2017, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: wrotek ]

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

SSKI morgellon update https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHtEC-WrmU
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

ok i will update this thread with this eva sapi borrelia morgellon paper https://bmcdermatol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12895-015-0023-0
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

POTASSIUM IODIDE IN THE TREATMENT OF SYPHILIS*

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1053890/pdf/brjvendis00157-0048.pdf

they used to take up to 120grams a day

[ 02-26-2017, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: wrotek ]

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the links and information.

I didn't know that Morgellons was part of lyme disease...

------------------------------------
Copy pasting the conclusion of the paper above:

Conclusions

Our study using multiple detection methods confirms that Morgellon's Disease is a true somatic illness associated with Borrelia spirochetes that cause Lyme disease.

Further studies are needed to determine the optimal treatment for this spirochete-associated dermopathy.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About iodine, it's by far my favorite product for skin injuries, etc.

I'm now using it daily on my cat, after a bad fight...

During lyme, I used to paint my legs with it, wait until my skin absorbed it. The fastest the absorption, the more I needed iodine.

I guess all lyme sufferers are lacking iodine, as well as magnesium, Vit D3...

I never drank it, but I had capsules of iodine in my freezer some time ago, because I was living close to Fukushima (in South corea).

The local MD gave that to all his patients, just in case.

I always knew it was a widespectrum killer, because it is used in hospitals for ages, before, after surgeries. The amount they paint the skin of people with it, for so many decades, without any 'side' effects.....

It is efficient, a sort of grand mother remedy, too cheap to be profitable in pharmacies (it is hard to find iodine in pure liquid form, now).

The pharma prefers white creams that work NOTHING compared to iodine. I refuse to buy these sh..ty products (of course, more expensive, less efficient that iodine, no shadow of doubt).

In hospitals, nurses paint iodine directly on all open wounds, etc. It means it goes directly into the blood circulation.

I don't think there is any big danger, if not overdoing it...

I would also add more sea weeds to the diet, or sea products. They have good organic forms of iodine, probably better absorbed than chemical forms (just a guess....).

I hope you get better from Morgellon's. It looks so awful, to still have to suffer from that on top of 'normal' lyme symptoms.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Buhner has a good chapter on Morgellons in his revised book on Lyme, including recent research such as the study Wrotek gives a link to.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Well the symptoms of Morgellon, beside of skin lesions, are IDENTICAL . And there are of course papers of scientists isolating spirochetes from lesions.

[ 02-27-2017, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: wrotek ]

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Remember work of alan mcdonald on nematodes and borrelia symbionts ? apparently potassium iodide can kill nematodes https://books.google.pl/books?id=E66d2ielYHkC&pg=PA411&lpg=PA411&dq=potassium+iodide+nematodes&source=bl&ots=zX2uU0KiMW&sig=RitJDnTlTFdbAMjZhveEV1fErMU&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAwuDj wfjSAhXiYZoKHUugBZUQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=potassium%20iodide%20nematodes&f=false
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie put a link to gallium nitrate for horse arthritis , im wondering if anybody has tried this ?
http://galliumnitrate.com/

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28369847
quote:

Palmoplantar pustulosis and pustulotic arthro-osteitis treatment with potassium iodide and tetracycline, a novel remedy with an old drug: a review of 25 patients.
Hayashi S1, Shimaoka Y1, Hamasaki Y1, Hatamochi A1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The use of potassium iodide (KI) to treat palmoplantar pustulosis (PPP) and pustulotic arthro-osteitis (PAO) has not previously been reported. Here, we report the first successful treatment of PPP and PAO with KI.
PATIENT AND METHODS:
Among 25 patients with PPP, seven had an associated PAO. All patients were administered 900 mg KI three times per day for 3 months. Overall, 12 patients received this medical treatment for the first time or had >6 months interval since the last therapy for PPP. The other 13 patients who were nonresponsive to tetracycline for >3 months prior to KI treatment were treated with a combination of KI and tetracycline. All seven patients with PAO were included in the tetracycline and KI-treated group.
RESULTS:
More than 70% of patients demonstrated complete clearance or ≥50% improvement in palmoplantar pustular psoriasis area and severity index (PPPASI) from baseline. In the group with <50% improvement in PPPASI from baseline, all except one patient were smokers. In the KI with tetracycline treatment group, approximately 80% demonstrated improvement. At the end of 3 months, there was remission of arthralgia in five out of seven PPP patients with PAO.
CONCLUSIONS:
Treatment with KI and/or its combination with tetracycline may be a useful treatment for PPP/PAO. Smoking may affect the effectiveness of these treatment modalities.
© 2017 The International Society of Dermatology.
PMID: 28369847 DOI: 10.1111/ijd.13608

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28207234

quote:

Potassium Iodide Potentiates Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Photodynamic Inactivation Using Photofrin.
Huang L1,2,3, Szewczyk G4, Sarna T4, Hamblin MR2,3,5.
Author information
Abstract
It is known that noncationic porphyrins such as Photofrin (PF) are effective in mediating antimicrobial photodynamic inactivation (aPDI) of Gram-positive bacteria or fungi. However, the aPDI activity of PF against Gram-negative bacteria is accepted to be extremely low. Here we report that the nontoxic inorganic salt potassium iodide (KI) at a concentration of 100 mM when added to microbial cells (108/mL) + PF (10 μM hematoporphyrin equivalent) + 415 nm light (10 J/cm2) can eradicate (>6 log killing) five different Gram-negative species (Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis, and Acinetobacter baumannii), whereas no killing was obtained without KI. The mechanism of action appears to be the generation of microbicidal molecular iodine (I2/I3-) as shown by comparable bacterial killing when cells were added to the mixture after completion of illumination and light-dependent generation of iodine as detected by the formation of the starch complex. Gram-positive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is much more sensitive to aPDI (200-500 nM PF), and in this case potentiation by KI may be mediated mainly by short-lived iodine reactive species. The fungal yeast Candida albicans displayed intermediate sensitivity to PF-aPDI, and killing was also potentiated by KI. The reaction mechanism occurs via singlet oxygen (1O2). KI quenched 1O2 luminescence (1270 nm) at a rate constant of 9.2 × 105 M-1 s-1. Oxygen consumption was increased when PF was illuminated in the presence of KI. Hydrogen peroxide but not superoxide was generated from illuminated PF in the presence of KI. Sodium azide completely inhibited the killing of E. coli with PF/blue light + KI.
KEYWORDS:
Gram-negative bacteria; Photofrin; antimicrobial photodynamic inactivation; potassium iodide; reactive iodine species; singlet oxygen

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27381399

quote:
Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Effects of Photocatalysis Using Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Are Strongly Potentiated by Addition of Potassium Iodide.
Huang YY1, Choi H2, Kushida Y3, Bhayana B1, Wang Y4, Hamblin MR5.
Author information
Abstract
Photocatalysis describes the excitation of titanium dioxide nanoparticles (a wide-band gap semiconductor) by UVA light to produce reactive oxygen species (ROS) that can destroy many organic molecules. This photocatalysis process is used for environmental remediation, while antimicrobial photocatalysis can kill many classes of microorganisms and can be used to sterilize water and surfaces and possibly to treat infections. Here we show that addition of the nontoxic inorganic salt potassium iodide to TiO2 (P25) excited by UVA potentiated the killing of Gram-positive bacteria, Gram-negative bacteria, and fungi by up to 6 logs. The microbial killing depended on the concentration of TiO2, the fluence of UVA light, and the concentration of KI (the best effect was at 100 mM). There was formation of long-lived antimicrobial species (probably hypoiodite and iodine) in the reaction mixture (detected by adding bacteria after light), but short-lived antibacterial reactive species (bacteria present during light) produced more killing. Fluorescent probes for ROS (hydroxyl radical and singlet oxygen) were quenched by iodide. Tri-iodide (which has a peak at 350 nm and a blue product with starch) was produced by TiO2-UVA-KI but was much reduced when methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) cells were also present. The model tyrosine substrate N-acetyl tyrosine ethyl ester was iodinated in a light dose-dependent manner. We conclude that UVA-excited TiO2 in the presence of iodide produces reactive iodine intermediates during illumination that kill microbial cells and long-lived oxidized iodine products that kill after light has ended.
Copyright © 2016, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.
PMID: 27381399 PMCID: PMC4997851 [Available on 2017-03-01] DOI: 10.1128/AAC.00980-16

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27381399

quote:
Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Effects of Photocatalysis Using Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Are Strongly Potentiated by Addition of Potassium Iodide.
Huang YY1, Choi H2, Kushida Y3, Bhayana B1, Wang Y4, Hamblin MR5.
Author information
Abstract
Photocatalysis describes the excitation of titanium dioxide nanoparticles (a wide-band gap semiconductor) by UVA light to produce reactive oxygen species (ROS) that can destroy many organic molecules. This photocatalysis process is used for environmental remediation, while antimicrobial photocatalysis can kill many classes of microorganisms and can be used to sterilize water and surfaces and possibly to treat infections. Here we show that addition of the nontoxic inorganic salt potassium iodide to TiO2 (P25) excited by UVA potentiated the killing of Gram-positive bacteria, Gram-negative bacteria, and fungi by up to 6 logs. The microbial killing depended on the concentration of TiO2, the fluence of UVA light, and the concentration of KI (the best effect was at 100 mM). There was formation of long-lived antimicrobial species (probably hypoiodite and iodine) in the reaction mixture (detected by adding bacteria after light), but short-lived antibacterial reactive species (bacteria present during light) produced more killing. Fluorescent probes for ROS (hydroxyl radical and singlet oxygen) were quenched by iodide. Tri-iodide (which has a peak at 350 nm and a blue product with starch) was produced by TiO2-UVA-KI but was much reduced when methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) cells were also present. The model tyrosine substrate N-acetyl tyrosine ethyl ester was iodinated in a light dose-dependent manner. We conclude that UVA-excited TiO2 in the presence of iodide produces reactive iodine intermediates during illumination that kill microbial cells and long-lived oxidized iodine products that kill after light has ended.
Copyright © 2016, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.
PMID: 27381399 PMCID: PMC4997851 [Available on 2017-03-01] DOI: 10.1128/AAC.00980-16

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement