LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » organic produce from walmart?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: organic produce from walmart?
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's not a medical question but I use my juice as medicine.

The organic produce from Walmart is much cheaper but is it trustworthy? Just seems too cheap to not have a catch.

Any input?

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I would be leery as you are. There was a DVD some years ago that covered how Walmart negotiated with their vendors in ways that required them to cut corners on quality.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using it for a long time. Great prices, although of course a tad more than the other items that aren't "organic", but still less than most other places.

And it seems fine to me. Some of it even has the "organic" look. It's not as perfect as other produce (like regular same sized tomatoes being all-round-shaped and same color).

Even finding organic bananas- just got some more yesterday, beets, carrots, nuts, peanut butter, meats, eggs, etc. Seems each visit there is something new in their organic line.

They have expanded their stock, and continue to do so, due to consumer requests. That is what I was told when I went to thank them for carrying it.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering the same thing the other day. It is at least fresher than what I get at the other local stores because they don't sell as much organic produce as WM and it therefore just sits around on the shelves.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you, I was also skeptical. But we have been buying organic produce from WM for a couple of years and have been very happy with most of it. We also get our organic lettuce and some produce from BJ's and like their prices as well. (not sure if that chain is outside of New England)
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good to know that it is likely a okay. We have WF here and it breaks the bank! Thanks on this!
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did some reading up on it just now. (Beats doing dishes.)

Wild Oats partnered with Walmart to begin this move to more organic items. Two years later, reports say they are now going with Great Value (their brand of all things less expensive).

They expect by raising the supply of organic foods that more people will eat healthier and it will bring down the cost of organic foods.

Here is a quote from one of the articles that might explain it and how they can do it...

"Globally, organic food sales are expected to post double-digit gains over the next several years."

The ones complaining, of course, are some mom & pop farms that say they may not be able to compete.

BUT, I lived on a farm that grew all sorts of produce for a local stand and then they sold to other eateries and food stores too.

They aren't losing money, but they do like to make people think they are.

In fact they are saving money growing organic, but the "organic" name makes people think it should cost more, so they can charge what they want.

And by NOT growing organic, the crop of tomatoes, for example, leave the imperfect produce that has even slight blemishes or are smaller or bigger than the perfect size, to rot in the fields. (Yes, it makes me sick to see that.)

They don't bother picking it if it is imperfect and won't give it away because they said if they did that everyone would wait for the free stuff and the excess they have at the stands would drive down the prices because they would have to charge less to get rid of it all.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Went looking for complaints about their produce and couldn't find any. I did find this info.

I quoted sections below that were interesting...

"Walmart donated 571 million pounds of food to local food banks and hunger relief organizations in 2013."

The numbers relating to Walmart, which began its life as a 5 & 10 store in Arkansas in 1950, are nothing short of mild-boggling.

There are more than 4,000 Walmart locations in the U.S. and more than 6,000 outside our borders.

The company brought in $476 billion in revenue in 2013 and $16 billion in net profit.

140 million shoppers visit U.S. Walmarts every week, equivalent to about 44 percent of the American population.

It’s the nation’s largest private sector employer, with nearly 1.5 million employees domestically and 2.2 million globally.

When it comes to produce, for example, they work with suppliers as well as companies like Conservation International to improve fertilizer and yields, control greenhouse gas emissions and water usage, and support farmers and their communities.

They’re working on establishing a dedicated beef supply by 2023, and more than 90 percent of Walmart's seafood in the U.S. has earned Marine Stewardship Certification for Best Aquaculture Practices, or is engaged in a Fishery Improvement Project.

Bananas have been the top-selling item at Walmart for years.

They Donated Food for 100,000 Meals after Hurricane Katrina

The company also donated $20 million in cash and 1,500 truckloads of free merchandise, and promised a job to every one of its displaced workers in the New Orleans area.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-food-walmart

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Talking about Katrina, I just finished watching -- When The Leeves Broke. It is a four-part series. Link about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levees_Broke

I had to stop watching it after the first two parts because it was tough to see, upsetting. A month later I watched the last two sections and stopped each section part way through to take a break. Had to.

That said, and my sissiness aside, it was excellent. I will watch it again.

And I watched every minute of the live coverage as it was unfolding- starting over a week before the storm hit and all the coverage I could find during and afterward.

My interest was I should have been there (that was part of what I did before Lyme), but instead I had a family member there for search and rescue missions and then he stayed there on heavy equipment clearing (plowing thru) roads so emergency vehicles and utility companies could get in.

Anyhow, worth a watch- but not till after you get back from buying your Walmart organic produce.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

NO NO NO! Do I really have to do those dishes now? Can't I just sit here and chat?

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are labeled USDA Organic, there is a strict uniform standards policy in place. WM cant put out quasi organic produce with that label. And with the size and efficiency of that company, they know what Organic is and the requirements to get the seal.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For all things we purchase, from all vendors, points of sale:

What are their E coli testing procedures?

Who does the certification to ensure organic adherence? This matters. A label is not always the same as actually being certified so that should be verified by someone other than the store. Go to the certifying authority to be sure the store / items in question are on the level.

Does the store spray inside store for pests, or at any points along the way? If so, how is produce not in the way of that?

Slave labor, Child Labor - and all variation - is a concern. Just be sure to find out how the workers are treated at all points, in the field, during distribution, etc.

Does each worker receive fair compensation for their work? Are the working conditions safe?

and any possible waterway pollution, and air pollution in areas surrounding any fields.

Organics can still involve farm chemicals. Find out the safety procedures for the farm workers.

This all matters. Get to know all about the farms, the exact farms or co-ops.

Store employees, too - are their employment conditions / regulations and is their compensation fair and what a person could actually live on?

This research should involve independent sources. There are some groups who have done all this. Sierra Club would not be it but they should know where to turn for the detail.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Get to know your local farmers. Start with any Farmers' Markets, find the websites that list the individual farmers or co-ops.

There are many farm programs now where they either deliver to the Farmers' Markets or have community memberships where you'd get a box or two a week for becoming a member.

This is most often far less expensive than from any store as they don't have the overhead of the physical bldg. and the food is fresher.

Even in winter, many often can still grow kale, cabbage, etc.

The more we can buy from local farmers, other food & item producers, the better. Better for strong communities. If there is a need that is not being met, find out who all around might be able to make that happen.

Some farmers may not be certified organic (it's very expensive) yet they may use the same, or similar practices. "Transitional" also a term to learn about.

Getting to know your local / regional farmers is a good step.

The further food has to travel, the more pollution added to our air, our water, etc.

Also to consider with WalMart & any company, actually: find out their policy for truck
drivers. Some have their truck drivers driving FAR past fatigue point. This matters in, oh, so many ways.

Do they also have safe & fair work environment and fair pay?

Is there any chemical spraying for pests INSIDE the trucks? And some kind of pest management is vital, of course, just be sure what it entails.

And, if done, how does that affect the person who handles any chemicals / sprays? How would whatever they use affect the food?

Lots of questions yet each one matters.

Sometimes, low priced food can mean that some workers are not getting paid what they are worth. But there are so many middle workers when food is transported so many miles.

When we support our local farmers, we not only know more about the food that goes into our bodies, we help them become a strong part of our communities and we all need that.
-

[ 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement