LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cold Viruses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold Viruses
daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the second Upper Respiratory Infection type virus this season. I was sick in February for two weeks, with a virus.

Last week, I started with a sore throat, went into a full blow, congested state with body aches, coughing. I spent the last 7 days on the couch. My husband came down with the same thing a day after me, but he seems better than me already.

I hadn't been sick for years, and suddenly this year after being off of abx mainly and on an herbal protocol, I have gotten sick twice.

My question is, why do I feel so badly for so long? Is it because my immune system just can't rally despite all the measure I take to boost it......or is it because the viruses are so much stronger now?

It concerns me as I get older. I see how people get pneumonia. Before Lyme I would get colds and viruses but they didn't seem as severe as what is currently happening. I realize the fact that I am getting sick means my immune system is working, which is a good sign, but it sure doesn't feel so positive when I am down and out for 2 weeks.

Any input or advice would be helpful. Thanks

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Herbs makes all the difference for me, managing with the help of specific herbs.

You say do take some herbs but they may not be specific enough for your body or for acute "events" - do you see a LL ND (naturopathic physician) or an acupuncturist?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First sign of a cold: LOMATIUM. Olive Leaf Extract, Allicin, Andrographis or Berberine are also very good in addition to lomatium.

Medical MUSHROOMS are good, ongoing and then more specific formula for acute "event".

A LL ND would know more specifically what would be best for your body.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=032988;p=0

LDM-100 (Lomatium dissectum extract)

Herb Pharm also has a good tincture.

&

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/elderberry-sambucus-species.html

ELDERBERRY (Sambucus species)

or

MANGOSTEEN
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119197?#000000

Topic: Garlic vs Allicin

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119089?#000000

ANDROGRAPHIS paniculata - LINKS SET

http://www.altcancer.com/andcan.htm

In-Depth-Review

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT – LINKS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
MEDICAL MUSHROOMS - Paul Stamets is the top expert. Find his website.

Google: "medicinal mushrooms" Paul Stamets

& also: "medical mushrooms" Paul Stamets

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/119968

Medical Mushrooms - Links

Oh, no. I just checked this and it's not nearly as good as I know it could be. I have far better articles in various places on my computer. But I just cvan't do better for now. later.

CORDYCEPS is the place to start with any medical mushroom, though, excellent for adrenal support and general "tonic" to the body.

-------------------

GREEN IS GOOD:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36235?#000000

CHLORELLA & SPIRULINA - Information Links

-------------------

Google: HIMALAYAN SALT PIPE

breathing air over salt can be very helpful for lungs.
-

[ 04-11-2017, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
BABESIA?

With upper respiratory symptoms as you describe, I'm taking a guess that BABESIA might have / is one of the tick borne infections that were / are in your mix?

I think, for me, babesia made all colds so much worse, especially the coughing. For years I thought I would cough my eyeballs to the moon.

So much better in that regard now for many reasons. Artemisinin really helped, as PART of my approach (I could not get Rx for this).

Be sure that if you were assessed with Babesia that treatment has been thorough.

It does not have to get harder / worse as age approaches, though, even if it seems that now.

GLUTEN-FREE; DIARY-FREE / PHLEGM

Being gluten-free and diary-free are the top two things to help with lungs, too. They both make phlegm and phlegm harbors all kind of bad germs and causes inflmtn
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Read all you can by STEPHEN H. BUHNER, all his books. They are each essential to our well being.

He is a very much LL master herbalist and a brilliant researcher and a writer who will keep your interest with a conversational style.

He has several books about tick borne infections as well as books that explore the world of herbal antivirals and herbal antibiotics . . . and his book on hepatitis is excellent for anyone regarding liver support.

also, for basics:

Though not at all about lyme, this is one of the best reference resources on my bookshelf that has wonderful chapters, many graciously available through their website.

Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tillotson, et al)

He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine; She a doctor of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncturist. The third co-author is a doctor of optometry.

HERBAL BASICS [see left side menu for chapters on]

Principles and Traditions

Growth, Manufacture, Quality

How to Evaluate Information

Safety and Regulation

Actions and Interactions

The Language of Herbs

Understanding Herbs
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
the GUT MICROBIOME also deserves a "chapter" in this set. But I'll leave that up to you to explore or for others to post.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
CHANGE YOUR SHOWERHEAD - over time, some can harbor a very rough microbe that can lead to lung troubles. You can search on this and find the exact articles. Bleach does not clean it.

CLEAN DRAINS in bathroom sink; tub & be sure your drains are not harboring clogs of gunk. Bar soaps cause this to happen more so than liquid soaps but, still, be sure at least the part of the drain you can attend to is relatively clean

(with eye protection and an old toothbrush and a citrus based cleaner). At the very end, then with open windows, you might use a little bleach, walk away and let it sit for a few minutes.

CLEAN BEHIND FRIDGE & the tops of any kitchen cupboards. Some are not finished off at the ceiling and collect / harbor stuff.

CEILING FAN tops, too.

Hopefully, you have someone you can ask / hire to do some of this. It all matters.

And a HEPA VACUUM

Toss out any thing FUZZY that collects or sheds (inanimate objects, only, not anything with a beating heart, eh?)

AVOID ALL POWDERS OR SPRAYS in personal care.

BATHMAT: CORK . . . toss anything that is fuzzy.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
CHEMICALS on TEXTILES?

Avoid purchasing any textile / furniture with flame retardants or "Teflon" coating.

if you use Teflon on your cookware, now is a good time to switch over as that will off-gas even with low heat. If you have any kind of non-stick (and there is no real "green" type) . . . at least always have a window open with heat is on until you can research cookware and find affordable options.

HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS; GARDEN / LAWN CARE

be mindful, there, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even if a product is labeled as "natural" or even environmentally safe, that does mean it may not contain harsh ingredients. Recently, after skin issues of many users, even Seventh Generation lost a lawsuit due to an ingredient being in one of their products.

http://www.ewg.org/

EWG.org -- ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP

- check ingredient safety on all kinds of personal care and household products

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

See their section called SKIN DEEP, cosmetics & personal care
-

daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use an Herbalist who follows the Buhner approach for the most part. I also see and LLMD who referred me to this herbalist.

I emailed her today and she suggested I get elderberry at the first sign of a virus. Which I will do.

She also said it takes 10 days for the immune system to memorize and cure a virus. So I am 3 days early I guess. Today is day 7.

I have been treated for all coinfections over and over again in 10 years, along with Lyme. But I will talk about Babesiea with my LLMD at my next appt.

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad to hear you are in good hand. I find Lomatium to be far - far - more effective at the first sign of a respiratory disturbance. Elderberry is important, too, but it sure is not as "direct" as lomatium, in my experience of this over many years.

And Olive Leaf Extract as well. It's just so much better than just elderberry, I have found.
-

daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Ok, thank you Keebler. Where would I find lomatium?

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
HERB PHARM has a nice tincture and is likely in a good real food market near you. The lomatium links set has other options, too.

LDM-100, from Barlow herbs is not in stores. I find that best but it would take a while to get to you from out west.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
CYTOKINE REACTION / CYTOKINE STORM - your repair kit:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031228;p=0

STINGING NETTLE LEAF (not root) - Links set

The herb, STINGING NETTLE may serve to compensate for the reaction by calming the the cytokine storm that is often part of a herx reaction. . . .

as well as why a cold or flu can make us feel so awful - the cytokines.

Be sure to avoid acetaminophen as that blocks glutathione being made in liver and also from the cells. and glutathione is REQUIRED to help.

The liver makes it and all cells must get some / keep some for them to be able to "cleanse" and push out the waste byproducts from living and from a hit of a cold or flu virus & the cytokine storm.

Liver support also key during any cold / flu.
-

ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I get a virus, it lingers for much longer than on anybody else around me and always packs a bigger punch too. I think this is typical for people with Lyme or other complex chronic infections.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I get a virus, it lingers for much longer than on anybody else around me and always packs a bigger punch too. I think this is typical for people with Lyme or other complex chronic infections.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

I guess so. It's very scary though, and I feel like this winter has been really difficult.

I hadn't been sick for years, and now 2 of these viruses back to back is no picnic.

I guess the fact that my husband had them too means it isn't all about my weakened immune system.

Just wish I felt better. [Frown]

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with UKCarry.

while other kids had just mild chicken pox, my daughter had horrible symptoms, it took her much longer to heal, she got much sicker than all her classmates, the dr looked at her with pity, as her skin was so infected...

she doesn´t have lyme for years, but her immune system definitively is not as strong as the average children.

when she had lyme and got bitten again, and again, she got one serious virus that causes lyme encephalitis. It was HORRIBLE.

While many people barely notice FSME viruses, some people can get permanently damaged, handicapped, and a few even die. So really, it is a matter of weak immunity.

She also caught a lot of colds, all of the viruses running in school for many years, after lyme was gone.

vitamin D3 helped her considerably, but surprisingly, what stopped definitively those constant cold viruses to haunt her was A GLUTEN FREE DIET.

It was amazing to see that after she re~started gluten free diet, she stopped missing school so often. It´s been almost one full year on gluten free diet, and the cold nightmare looks gone.

I think she got one stomach bug the last 10 months, while before, it was at least 2 bugs a month, a lot of missing days in school.

Vit D3 was a must for us in the past, we still continue on it when we remember, but really, the most amazing improvement against colds for her was a gluten~free diet. I think gluten weakened her so much she couldn´t fight any bugs.

This last winter, many kids and teachers were severly ill, for weeks sometimes, and she didn´t catch anything except once a tummy bug...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like many, I never seemed to get sick with lyme, or so I thought. With active lyme, our cellular immunity is too repressed to launch an effective attack on incoming viruses, so you never get "sick". Getting sick again is one of the most reliable indicators of recovery. At least for me it has been.
Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I am the exact opposite. Lyme prevents me from catching colds or any viruses. I went 10 years without a cold aftet being infected with Lyme. Im not the only one either. But to answer your question, I would say it's good you are having colds, and the more severe the better. With fevers etc. It means your immune system is finally fighting other things than just the lyme. Like the person above, when treatment is going really well is the only time I can get sick. I wish for catching colds sometimes because I can distinctly remember feeling like I was alive again even though I was sick as a dog with a cold. Lyme always comes back though and then establishes the typical perfect Lyme body environment. Slightly cold, averse to light, and always a flat, cant get sick with viruses but feel nothing kind of state

[ 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Christopher J ]

Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement