LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » First herx? Wow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First herx? Wow
Luciano23
Member # 49916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luciano23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So after being undertreated for Lyme for about 6 years I started a cocktail of ABX with a more well known LLMD.

Within 3 days of starting, I experienced 10/10 back pain for four straight weeks - up to and including as I type this.

Exactly 4.5 weeks into treatment (today) I randomly came down with the worst chills I've ever experienced. Teeth chattering. I left work early and tried to sleep it off. After having the chills for about 4 hours, I became extremely naueseous. Puked eVerywhere. Now running a fever 102.1.

Is this a herx?

Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it could be a herx. You are able to work through your disease?
Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luciano23
Member # 49916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luciano23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes fortunately I had a bullseye rash and started treatment right away. So I've never really felt worse than 75% but never been able to get fully better.
Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this quote from Burrascano:

"With treatment, these monthly symptom flares are exaggerated and presumably represent recurrent Herxheimer-like reactions as Bb enters its vulnerable growth phase and then are lysed. For unknown reasons, the worst occurs at the fourth week of treatment." (page 17)

You are in your 4th week of treatment! Coincidence? I don't think so.

Then it goes on to say: "Observation suggest that the more severe this reaction, the higher the germ load, and the more ill the patient."

So, based on the timing of this horrible sick day, I would say you are experiencing the famous Herxheimer reaction.

As Burrascano says, this is the worst one you will have. Each month, it will get less.

Mark on a calendar the day you got sick--today. Then, count 28 days into the future and mark on the calendar "herx due" or "bad day" or whatever note to remind you of this day. If you again get sick on or around that future date, you have your proof positive.

I always marked my herx days in the future so that I did not plan anything important on that day. If you are going to be sick, you don't want to have an appointment, or a concert, etc. to go to on that day. Makes your life more smooth. Not only that, but it won't take you by surprise. Then, you don't have to get upset and worry about what is happening to you! It really gives you peace of mind big time!

Do all the detoxifying you know to do. Take Alka Seltzer Gold (try CVS--not all drug stores carry it--you may have to call around) 4 times per day with lemon or lime squeezed into it.

Most people feel better within hours of doing that.

Drink lots and lots of water with lemon squeezed into it. Try to eat up to 4 lemons per day. Lemons are natural cleansers of the body and water flushed everything out. Make lemon water your only drink until you start feeling normal.

You can also call your doc and ask for glutathione which will help you detoxify. You may want to let them know what happened to you today. An Rx for glut may help you tremendously. You will have to try it and see.

My first herx was feeling bad for about 3 days and then half bad for about 4 days. If you detox a lot, it will make a big difference. If you don't, this herx could go on longer.

You may want to tell us what meds you are on, just in case these could be possible side effects of one of them. Doesn't hurt to look into all possibilities.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get used to the monthly cycles. When you first start treating Lyme, everything is extreme, the herxes, the immediate reaction to new medicines added, etc. As you continue to treat for a long time its a gradual lessening and lessening of any reactions at all. At my stage after a few years of combo antibiotics I dont have any reaction left anymore. My Lyme is well and truly controlled. I can switch up antibiotics, be on high dose stuff, pop tons of pills, without even thinking about it. I think back on those early days sometimes and how much like a drop of mepron for example would have on me! Or the first time they put me on Biaxin and Flagyl, how I had violent herxes. Seems like a distant memory. The one thing I want to emphasize for you is NEVER STOP. It is so easy to discontinue or stop treatment when you have dramatic reactions, but the only way to get to the next step is going to war with it every single day. That analogy is apt here, you have got to get up every day on the attack with the antibiotics and never let up no matter how you feel. I learned this over time.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luciano23
Member # 49916

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I too thought it would be too much of a coincidence that this isn't a herx, being my fourth plus week of treatment.

I'm currently on doxy, rifampin and tinidazole (and artemisinin). Was feeling pretty good up until this herx. Just had the back pain and some brain fog. Surprised my germ load is so high. Then again, I was on high dose doxy for many years and probably have many persister germs to kill.

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luciano, how are you doing? Any improvement? I hope so!
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Christopher. First is the hardest. I'm probably somewhere in the middle. New meds/treatments still give me problems, but it doesn't seem to be like it was in the beginning.

Are you doing any better by now?

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luciano23
Member # 49916

Thanks for asking everyone.

The fever, headache and nausea lasted until the next morning (Tues morning) and I've just felt kind of weak and haven't had an appetite since. Back to work today and I'm running a low grade fever so we'll see

As fate would have it I had scheduled an appt with my LLMD for Tues evening. He couldn't say for sure that it was a herx but thinks I am on the right track. I still have the back pain and since this possible herx I've had some babesia symptoms creep up (air hunger, marginal night sweats).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement