LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What's the latest on free tick testing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the latest on free tick testing?
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few in the group I was with picked up some deer ticks in Nelson County VA, which I have heard is a known area for Lyme, etc. Of course, being the tick nerd, I wanted to send them in for testing. Last year I sent some in to Northern Arizona University (Nathan Nieto) but it took a couple of months to get results. Are they still doing this testing? Any other options?

Thank you.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now tell me do ConnieMc ... what were you all doing in Nelson County, VA? Besides picking up ticks?

Visiting Walton's Mountain? Golfing at Wintergreen? Visiting a brewery? Hiking the AT? Riding the BR Parkway?

You don't have to say, of course, it is just me being curious. I love the place, wish I could be there now.

Anyhow... here are some labs (and their contact info) that do tick testing. They are still doing the free tests, but yes, I would imagine they are backed up again or still with getting results out.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/lab-tests

Scroll down about 1/2 way and there is a section that says...

Laboratories Testing Ticks

Right under that title is the link to the free testing info. Below that free link are the labs that are testing ticks, the contact info and some of the details.

Hope that helps!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Now tell me do ConnieMc ... what were you all doing in Nelson County, VA? Besides picking up ticks?

[Big Grin]

Running rivers in a kayak. Mainly the Tye River. Beautiful country up there and we go every year on Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, I know, high risk behavior. I was equipped with lots of tick spray and the private property where we camped was pre-treated a week before to head 'em off at the pass.

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to know you have fun there! It is beautiful.

I hesitated asking about river rafting, etc. because you said the Tye River. I've avoided that place for many years and rafted elsewhere.

Big scandal and cover up of the massive pollution by a chemical company, involving politicians, etc. I witnessed the aftermath from both sides of the fence and it was upsetting. Still is actually.

I found this article about it that may be of interest so you don't think I am just blabbering about something not many remember. It doesn't tell all, not even close, but enough that you'd get the picture.

Quote- "But the structure [a building off 151 from Rt. 29 - Afton Mountain- up past Wintergreen] also unofficially symbolizes a political and environmental nightmare — a sordid story that includes a stint as the centerpiece in the conviction of former Sen. Harrison “Pete” A. Willams, of New Jersey, as part of the FBI’s sting operation known as Abscam.

The controversial federal corruption investigation, which led to bribery and conspiracy convictions for Williams, six members of the U.S. House of Representatives and several lower-level politicians, has been given new life as the foundation for the plot of “American Hustle.”

The movie, directed by David O. Russell and starring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner, opened nationwide Dec. 20."

http://www.newsadvance.com/nelson_county_times/news/piney-river-hustle-local-site-played-role-in-scandal-popularized/article_51fcf67e-7e06-11e3-bde0-001a4bcf6878.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

quote:

I found this article about it that may be of interest so you don't think I am just blabbering about something not many remember. It doesn't tell all, not even close, but enough that you'd get the picture.

Wow, I had no idea! Strange I have never heard this before since my Dad and some of his buddies own property near the intersection of the Tye and James. Just Wow. Also saw the movie and never saw the connection.

It's all about money in the pockets, not people, for sure. Not to mention the Lyme scandal which has continued for decades, so we know all about money over people.

Thanks for the education!

ConnieMc
Member # 191

quote:
Now tell me do ConnieMc ... what were you all doing in Nelson County, VA?

[Big Grin]

One tick came up positive for relapsing fever. :-(

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement