LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Keto Clarity\Fat Adaptation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keto Clarity\Fat Adaptation
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All: I wanted to get the word out there on this. I have no financial interest in this at all.

I have been overwhelmed by how helpful this diet has been for my Lyme and cos. The clarity and level of energy are really better than I had pre Lyme. Aside from the fact I have no inflammation or pain.

I told my husband I wish I had done this years ago! And, I'm not on the hunger roller coaster and no bloating or SIBO or candida.

The book Keto Clarity was recommended to me and it's great. You can research ketogenic diet online as well. I hope this helps someone! Pain free and mental clarity are incredible to experience! [group hug]

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks... I know I always felt better when eating a plan similar to this.

My first success was with the Atkins Diet... really felt so much better and was in control of my intake of foods!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Tutu! I'm not surprised to hear this. I just can hardly believe the difference. I hope it will help others too [Smile]
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so funny how we're all different. I feel fatigued on the paleo or keto diet. I try to do part of the day keto, but I cannot do it ongoing.

I did something similar to heal my gut from SIBO, but I could not maintain it long term. I do best on a mostly vegetarian diet with fish and eggs. I try to eat meat once a week for my iron levels.

I've never thought much about the blood type diet, but I think the general idea of it seems to apply to a lot of people. In my family, everyone else does well on paleo/keto, but they're all type O. I'm type A. When my daughter and I took a culinary class on raw vegan food, I thrived and she had to go out and eat a hamburger for some meat.

I'm SO GLAD you've found what works for you!!! <3

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Aww! Six, Thanks! That is interesting that you mention the blood type diet as I am O too. Very interesting. You would have honestly thought with the amount of veggies I was eating to fill up on and I thought to help me lose weight that I too was more of a vegan. I never really liked meat growing up.

I've actually had to ramp down my protein, up my fat and lower my carbs. So far so good. I have noticed that I have to replace salt and electrolytes as that makes you tired if you don't because apparently as you transition to a fat burner, you lose electrolytes.

Wow! I'm really glad you too found that a mostly vegan diet suits you best. Feeling good is everything! Thank you for continuing to give back as you do. We are all so blessed by you Six! You are a sparkle as my mom would say! Hugs! [group hug]

lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keto has made a bog difference for me...clarity, energy and stamina.

Another excellent resource is Stephen Phinney MD, Phd. With research you can find videos, books and writings.

There are two different systems with Keto. One is very high fat (Keto Clarity) the other is moderate fat. When I adhered to the premise laid out in Keto Clarity, I gained weight.

Switching to working with grams rather than percentages and going with moderate fat is the answer for me.

Actually there are many ways of doing Keto and it depends on what the reason is for doing it. It has been used for seizures since the early 1900's. Johns Hopkins has been using it that way for years....

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Lightfoot- I imagine the amount of fat I've been doing of late can make one gain weight. I just had an allergic reaction to macadamia nuts this am so the moderate fat will be easier for me now.

Thanks for the references here. I have loved what I've read re:Phinney. I look forward to learning more. Waking up with no pain and totally clear\sharp even in the morning has been astounding and quite frankly I'd trade ideal weight for that any day! Thanks for the encouragement!

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willbeatthis [group hug] [kiss]

I've read that people with digestive issues often don't like meat, so maybe in your case it was something along those lines rather than not needing it.

I do eat raw cheeses. I find they are helping heal my gut because they are a fermented food. I eat eggs almost daily. And I do well with non-gluten grains, as long as I don't eat them with animal protein.

I eat moderate fat and I find keto a couple days (or half days) is good for me.

I think my diet is referred to as flexitarian.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keto diet worked well for me. I lost about 20 lbs and continue to eat Keto. I read the book and listed to dozens of pod casts from the authors and several medical practitioners.

I use MCT Oil in by tea several times a day. It does help with hunger in the morning. Did not reduce my inflammation much but energy is modestly improved. I am taking lots of curcumin for the inflammation.

I actually like what I am eating on the diet or as a diet.

All the Best,

MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Six! I bet you are correct. See I was allergic to milk as an infant- given soy formula- and my parents weren't ready to make all the changes necessary that the doc told them I needed so I was given milk all my life and sick with sinus issues(TONS of ABX) until I put two and two together in my 30's and took myself off milk. Immediately sinus infections stopped. So was my GI a mess- you bet. Gosh, it's wild to be able to put the pieces finally together. Six, you are brilliant- always finding your way to healing. I'm glad you can eat cheese- so yummy! Love your Flexitarian ways! [Smile]

Good to hear this helped you too Matt! I'm still very much navigating the waters. Having reacted to macadamias really strong and avocados- well, for me it looks like the Wahls Paleo Plus modified may work the best or something that weaves Paleo Autoimmune and Keto together as I'm so darn sensitive. I'm so thankful for GAPS bone broth as my gut rebuilder when I experiment like this.

The MCT oil is supposed to really help with ketones. Dr. Wahls said that with her Paleo Plus 5 tablespoons of coconut oil a day, it allows you to eat the veggies she recommends and I think that has to be good for you.

Godspeed Matt!

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAy 24, 2018: update:

My previous posts have been deleted since I have totally changed my mind about ketogenic diet since, well, learning more & seeing "new" videos, lectures, films, etc.

It took a while to learn that Paleo is not ketogenic, nor is LCHF, yet they are in the same neighborhood and what works for one may not work for the other person.

Tofu is acceptable and there are a couple good vegetarian sites but I've only checked those to find out about tofu.

In fact, I'm working towards ketogenic with the Dr. Westman at Duke Univ. plan as the strictest. This, because of seizures. I have to start with the most effective plan and then, later might shift.

But with zero "food products" - with real food and only read food. I had to give up dairy due to sinus inflammation and never want to go back to that but it's okay. The amounts are so tiny that are allowed and it's addictive to me, anyway.

I'm still studying but some of the links I've found helpful:

Film: The Magic Pill - currently streaming at NetFlix, etc.

At YouTube, search: Low Carb Down Under for a series of excellent lectures at a conference in Australia.

Dr. Eric Westman, with Duke University in N.C.

Dr. Stephen Phinney

Dr. Jeff Volek

also search: The Charlie Foundation, search YouTube and their great website

Search: Sarah Hallberg, DO - and FitterU video series

Her plan differs greatly from that of Westman's at Duke in that Hallberg says unlimited dairy & nuts. Hers seems more LCHF and not really ketogenic as the carbs can run wild with unlimited dairy.

Westman's plan has strict limit on dairy and no nuts. Veggies are also limited yet . . . this plan can really work and while I'm starting out with one cup more of kale a day, I think it will be workable.

I suggest studying the work of all the authors / presenters above and others that pop up along those. There is a conference out of Florida, but I don't recall that name.

I'm still studying this and will post better links sometime.

Nina Tiecholz (sp?) lectures have been excellent, too. Her focus is FAT. Book: The big FAT surprise. And YouTube & TED Talks, as well.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
LCHF plans - low carb; high fat; adequate protein

As noted in posts, there are various ways to do a LCHF. Ketogenic is the most extreme and usually for complex medical reasons.

I am not suggesting that any particular diet plan should be used by everyone, or anyone. Certainly, review all the variables if considering and get medical support with the basic testing and monitoring.

For some, simply being aware of the healthiest foods might be their best plan and not go so low. Just remember that if one is not low in carbs and goes high fat, that can be a problem.

So if one wants to just eat well and not go on a formal structured LCHF plan. . . . still, be sure to use the best kind of oils, just keep them in moderation, do not go high. Weight gain will happen if carbs are still in the typical range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZsfluh0Uo

38:54 YouTube

Dr Eric Westman Duke University

Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Brain Performance

https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

Duke University - Ketogenic Food Plan

The No Starch, No Sugar Diet

carbs: 20 grams / day of total carbs, not net.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCni9TCw0YPwTdu7BYF3j0Eg

YouTube ADAPT YOUR LIFE - Dr. Eric Westman, with Duke University & some other top experts, too. Short videos mostly answering questions from Twitter as this is a # format.
-

[ 05-24-2018, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uSv6OgHJE

Dr. Stephen PHINNEY - 'Recent Developments in LCHF and Nutritional Ketosis' (Part 1)

Then proceed to the other parts of his lecture. Also search his name for lectures at other conferences. Some material is the same but it does not hurt to hear again - and there are always some detail not in the other.

a note about FASTING: In one of his lectures, he says DON'T as it raises cortisol levels and puts too much stress on the body. It can through the body off in other ways, too.

Especially for those with lyme & adrenal issues, this could be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEBUrfP5UI

Trailer: THE MAGIC PILL -- film streaming on NetFlix, and other places
-

[ 05-24-2018, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Her work is not limited to just the ketogenic diet, applies to all LCHF approaches. She discusses animal and vegetable fats.

Her discussion about vegetable oils is a must to really take in. Her presentations on the oils, alone, is fascinating and mind blowing.

LC (low carb), HF (high fat) . . . and adequate / moderate protein. The difference between, say, the Mediterranean . . . Paleo . . . LCHF . . . Ketogenic . . . is basically the number of carbs, even considering vegetables.

Ketogenic is 20 carbs at its basic core, such as what Westman is doing at Duke.

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/

BIG FAT SURPRISE: Why Meat, Butter & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet

by Nina Teicholz, author website

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/faqs/

FAQs

https://ninateicholz.com/blog/

Big Fat Surprise - Blog

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Nina+Teicholz

YouTube Search: Nina Teicholz
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://charliefoundation.org/

THE CHARLIE FOUNDATION for KETOGENIC THERAPIES

https://charliefoundation.org/category/recipes/

Recipes -- Scroll down to see:

Variations of the Diet . . . MCT here, too.

Also search for their excellent lectures posted on YouTube.

For starters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6gH5-mMD8

Beth Zupec-Kania, R.D.: Eating Ketogenically with Optimal Nutrition

46 minutes

Note: when you see a good speaker, take note of what conference they are at to find other speakers' video with that same group.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sarah+Hallberg%2C+FItterU

Sarah Hallberg, DO -- LCHF approach

FItterU - 20 videos, including TED Talk

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/before-you-spend-26000-on-weight-loss-surgery-do-this.html

Before You Spend $26,000 on Weight-Loss Surgery, Do This

By Sarah Hallberg and Osama Hamdy

The New York Times, Opinion - Sept. 10, 2016

Sarah Hallberg is medical director of the weight loss program at Indiana University Health.

Excellent article.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
LCHF = Low Carb High Fat (and adequate protein)

https://lowcarbdownunder.com.au/

LOW CARB DOWN UNDER - from Australia . . . many conferences / presentations

https://lowcarbdownunder.com.au/about/

About

https://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbdownunder

YouTube

LOW CARB DOWN UNDER - from Australia . . . many conferences / presentations

https://lowcarbdownunder.com.au/faq/

Low Carb Down Under

FAQ . . . what foods to eat . . . which foods to avoid . . .

GREAT LISTS here. Very clear.
-

[ 05-25-2018, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT OF REAL FOODS - charts galore

http://www.whfoods.com/index.php

The World's Healthiest Foods

. . . offer the latest scientific information about the benefits of the World's Healthiest Foods and the specific nutrients they provide.

Excellent site. However, their "search" feature does not work. So, you have to find their page on any given food this way. Tofu is just an example. Plug in any food. Scroll all the way down to see the carbohydrate listings.

Also realize that some LCHF plans, especially ketogenic plans differ between using total carbohydrates or net carbs, after fiber is subtracted.

What Dr. Westman at Duke has found that some failures accounted for the fact that some people tend to absorb some of the fiber, or alot of it. And that can mean the difference between achieving ketogenic levels or not.

The Duke plan uses total carbs in their daily counts.

Search Goggle for: _____, whfoods
-

[ 05-29-2018, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement