LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Triple negative breast cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Triple negative breast cancer
vitamom
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitamom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. Wondering if there could be a relationship between breast cancer and Lyme? I probably had Lyme as a child but was also bitten in 1999 (under my arm, same side as the cancer) but was treated (IV and orals) for Lyme and Babesia. I still have minor symptoms that are controlled with herbs.

Just a note...getting treated for cancer is so much easier that getting treated for Lyme!! I haven't had to fight with anyone:)

Posts: 83 | From Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope you will have great doctors and can beat this thing!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitamom
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitamom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! It's stage 1 no nodes.... I'm okay...actually think it might be easier than treating Lyme! Have
lots of prayer and support!

Posts: 83 | From Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful .. best of luck to you!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this, although it sounds like you are doing well. How big is it? It must be pretty small to be Stage I

What treatment are they giving you?

I do think that there is a connection, as the infections depress the immune system. I am dealing with Stage II breast cancer. But my infections never were under control, as I've had repeated interruptions in my treatment.

Let us know how it goes. Other people on LN have had breast cancer as well.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Jeff
Member # 50666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Jeff         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link that explains how Bartonella actively causes Cancer.

http://nbprotocol.proboards.com/thread/3/relationship-lyme-disease-cancer

Posts: 12 | From Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for you. Heres some quick advice: Cut out 100% of all vegetable, bean, seed, fish, or nut oils. In everything. No cooking oils. In cooking, in prepared food you buy outside, everywhere. Yes, this means soy oil which is in just about everything, and canola oil which is as well. The only fats in your diet remaining should be coconut oil and butter, and try to use as little of them as possible. You need to cut your PUFA levels to basically zero for your breast cancer. Im not going to to into the whole research and theory but think Ray Peat, and a few studies I can document.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis. Hope for a successful treatment protocol. One of my closest friends also had triple negative and passed her five year survival early this year.

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitamom
Member # 3471

Thank you all. A nurse who coordinates care for breast cancer people told me today that she doesn't think chemo will be as bad as IV antibiotics for Lyme. We'll see.. It is about 1/2 an inch which made it state 1, but being triple negative (more aggressive) it is being treated aggressively. Rumigirl, I hope you are doing well!!
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry to hear this. One of my very best friends, who I actually met right here on Lymenet about 10 years ago, died one year ago almost to the day from Triple Negative Breast Cancer, Stage 1, no nodes.

She was MerryGirl here for those who remember Melissa. She obviously had chronic Lyme for years before the cancer diagnosis. I don't really think there is a definitive connection; a large number of people get cancer at some point in their lives, Lyme or not. However there certainly are arguments to be made.

I hope you do well and that the chemo won't be too hard on you!!!! xo

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Jeff
Member # 50666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Jeff         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chemo is pretty hard on the body . There are some alternatives. A good place to start is 400mg daily of a liposomal Coq10.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7908519

"Partial and complete regression of breast cancer in patients in relation to dosage of coenzyme Q10."

I personally had about 20 tumors from lyme disease (Bartonella) and using fucus vesiculosus made them all go away. It is pretty amazing stuff. It is a type of fucoidan and there are a lot of studies on it's activity against cancers of many types. It took about 9 months until they were all gone.

If you go to Pubmed and look at the search results;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=fucus+vesiculosus+cancer

Fucoidan will also activate the stem cells in your bone marrow and that will make your immune system much stronger.

This explains how using a readily available soap that has fucus vesiculosus in it will stop and reverse the progression of cancer. The soap works because the fucus vesiculosus has a Low Molecular Weight and it goes right through your skin and becomes systemic. I had a lot of tumors and I couldn't even see them until I found something that would actually kill them , when I did it was surprising but they all healed nicely. So Chemo is not the last resort there are better options that your doctor won't tell you about.

http://nbprotocol.proboards.com/thread/8/fucus-vesiculosus-treat-bartonella

Posts: 12 | From Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I too had breast cancer last year. I am all clear now. I had lyme, babesia, bartonella, myclopasma, etc. like 5 years ago. I do believe that there is a conection between these infections and cancer. I think it is bartonella and babesia. Some of the top lyme doctors thought it was babesia like organism that caused cancer. I saw one of their papers on case studies. You can PM me whenever you want.

Posts: 697 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickchickbytick
Member # 50733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickchickbytick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear vitamom, I'm a triple negative cancer survivor (2 years free as of 7/17!) and have been sick for the past year. I just found out after no dr's here in the st louis area could help me, or wanted to....they all dismissed me, called me delusional, etc. My skin is a mess and they thought it was a case of psychological picking.....

flew to NY to go to an LLMD in **** and was finally diagnosed - igenex standards - with lyme and bartonella. He also believes me to have morgellons.

Anyway, wondering if this is all connected. No breast cancer in my huge family and neg on genetic testing. Was treated for lyme around 10 years ago but just 28 days of antibiotics....

anyway, I agree about it being easier. I had a dbl mx, chemo, radiation and a reconstruction, but I had the 'cancer card'. No such thing as a lyme card ;o( I've lost friends and doctors are so dismissive!!

***edited city of LLMD, per LN rules***

[ 08-07-2017, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
2015 triple neg cancer survivor
2017 current lyme, bartonella, morgellons

Posts: 2 | From STL | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

sick chick .. There is a great LLMD in your state.. not that far away.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - you need to study these notes I took from Ty Bollinger's two anti-cancer docuseries. People are able to pretty much beat cancer if they do some of what the survivors have done.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/35737#000000

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mig, I didn't know you went through it. It's a number of us, actually.

There are so many ways to approach cancer, and I spent decades working with clients with it naturally. But I'm not working now; I'm concentrating on my own health.

While I often tell people about natural methods, IF the person is willing and able to go to the mat for it, suggest or a combo, with any cancer, but esp trlple negative BC, you can't take anything for granted. It is not necessarily as easy as people think. In fact, it's not easy at all (I mean just going the natural method).

Keep us posted. The fact that you have good support and prayer is HUGE! Big help.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickchickbytick
Member # 50733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickchickbytick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I certainly dont mean that cancer treatment is easy! It was a long long horrendous road of treatment......I should have specified that I meant more the psychological aspect of being BELIEVED and people having compassion for your illness!

Thx Lymetoo, I think I know who you are referring to. I just happen to be originally from east coast so go out there lots and knew of this LLMD so started with him. It would be nice to have a good primary care here who would consult with him though!

Sorry moderator for putting a city in my earlier post! oops :-/

--------------------
2015 triple neg cancer survivor
2017 current lyme, bartonella, morgellons

Posts: 2 | From STL | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say... I haven't read this topic at all, and many other topics here too. Bad me.

But, I have seen the title so when I saw this newly released study tonight I thought I'd share it here for those who are interested.

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Aug 5. doi: 10.1007/s10549-017-4435-x. [Epub ahead of print]

Riluzole synergizes with paclitaxel to inhibit cell growth and induce apoptosis in triple-negative breast cancer.

Speyer CL1,2, Bukhsh MA3, Jafry WS1, Sexton RE4, Bandyopadhyay S5, Gorski DH6,7.

PURPOSE:

One in eight women will develop breast cancer, 15-20% of whom will have triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC), an aggressive breast cancer with no current targeted therapy. We have demonstrated that riluzole, an FDA-approved drug for treating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, inhibits growth of TNBC.

In this study, we explore potential synergism between riluzole and paclitaxel, a chemotherapeutic agent commonly used to treat TNBC, in regulating TNBC proliferation, cell cycle arrest, and apoptosis.

METHODS:
TNBC cells were treated with paclitaxel and/or riluzole and synergistic effects on cell proliferation were quantified via MTT assay and CompuSyn analysis.

Apoptosis was observed morphologically and by measuring cleaved PARP/caspase three products. Microarray analysis was performed using MDA-MB-231 cells to examine cell cycle genes regulated by riluzole and any enhanced effects on paclitaxel-mediated cell cycle arrest, determined by FACS analysis.

These results were confirmed in vivo using a MDA-MB-231 xenograft model.

RESULTS:
Strong enhanced or synergistic effects of riluzole on paclitaxel regulation of cell cycle progression and apoptosis was demonstrated in all TNBC cells tested as well as in the xenograft model.

The MDA-MB-231, SUM149, and SUM229 cells, which are resistant to paclitaxel treatment, demonstrated the strongest synergistic or enhanced effect.

Key protein kinases were shown to be upregulated in this study by riluzole as well as downstream cell cycle genes regulated by these kinases.

CONCLUSIONS:
All TNBC cells tested responded synergistically to riluzole and paclitaxel strongly suggesting the usefulness of this combinatorial treatment strategy in TNBC, especially for patients whose tumors are relatively resistant to paclitaxel.

KEYWORDS:
Apoptosis; Cell cycle; Paclitaxel; Riluzole; Triple-negative breast cancer
PMID: 28780701 DOI: 10.1007/s10549-017-4435-x

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28780701

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windingshores
Member # 48600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for windingshores     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breastcancer.org is a good forum. I would not worry about what anyone else here writes about others with TN BC dying.

Chemo and hormonal drugs(you won't have the latter) affect the immune system so whatever else we are dealing with may flare or worsen.

I had an autoimmune reaction to Lyme which made me very ill, and had an autoimmune reaction to breast cancer as well.

There are many things to think about with a combo of problems. It was a weird relief to have something that all MD's believe in.

Posts: 54 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement