LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you have heat intolerance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you have heat intolerance?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this out:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/health/4305394-medical-hell-duluth-man-blames-mast-cell-disorder-intense-allergic-reactions

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was 105 here the other day. I just cant breath when it gets that hot. dizzy, heavy sweating, etc...heat index of 110.

I stay inside. course then I go to er and freeze my rear off.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you read the article too.

When it's 105, everyone has heat intolerance! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I cannot handle heat or cold. I have Dysautonomia (Dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system). Lyme exacerbates it, who know maybe it caused it? I also have very low blood pressure. If it is colder than 50 or hotter than 80-85 I'm going to have issues.

Check with your LLMD, but i think this is a pretty common problem with Lyme Disease, especially when it becomes Chronic. Sorry, I just have to stay inside. [Frown]

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, it's connected to Lyme. Lyme can trigger Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, described in the above article .. and more here:

Mast Cell Disease 101

http://www.sneeze.com/allergy-resources/mast-cell-disease-101/

When to Suspect MCAD.

http://ohtwist.com/what-is-mcad/when-to-suspect-mcad/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks for the links, TuTu.

Along with mast cell issues, {and maybe good to think of this when next stocking up to get through a heat wave, too]

Dysautonomia . . . and other factors with the nervous system glitches that lyme causes, too . . . the demyelination that lyme can cause can also contribute to heat intolerance & to some of the damage that can happen . . . as can adrenal distress & other issues of the heart . . . and "sticky blood" that can be common with lyme.

The condition of the liver also matters a lot as the liver can be very distressed by "over" heating and that can cause a domino effect.

Covering all the bases is important. And, mast cells may contribute to more of the lyme issues than we might think.

In this heat wave in my area now, little putt-putt AC just not cutting it and gave way to despair, itself, too early yesterday . . . I found that personal care of utmost importance to be:

ice packs to head, heart, arm pits, bottom of feet.

Woven (not terry cloth) kitchen towels, lightly dampened, folded and frozen - keep separate so you can putt them out individually.

Keep a full set to cover key points and unwrap as they start to melt down a bit.

The soft cloth ice pack, to me, just are not as good as they don't get cold enough but the hard blue ice things are too cold and could burn skin.

Feet: A pan for water . . . not much is required, actually, just enough to splash about but not so much it's hard to carry and pick back up again. In lieu of that, wet cloth to feet to keep cool.

maybe dampen some clean socks and freeze, too, then don for a little chill.

I found that it's best to get ahead of the heat, not wait until feeling so ill to pull out the cold packs.

In addition to woven cotton kitchen towels, a viscose "kitchen towel" from Trader Joe's is perfect . . . well, actually, several for the kit. It's a bit more substantial and really holds cools for a while. Best to form around head, I sure found out last night . . . over and over.

If one could get into a bathtub - and get back out again, a coolish bath might be good. A shower is just not long enough to really get the body temp down much.

We're looking at 107 and such for the next few days - as are many around the globe. I just hope that power stays on for all so that at least the freezer and fridge can help out with management if ACs are not on board.

For those who can get out, there are some cooling centers -- though not sure if any let people actually lie down so call ahead as a plan is being considered.

Again, planning and staying ahead of it helps. Do not saturate any fabric with water before freezing. Dampen enough so that it will fold out fairly soon after taking out but still stay cold for a while.
-

[ 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Change Battery / batteries in smoke alarms if you do not have AC.

I found out the hard way two nights ago that excessive heat can set them off and if a battery is bordering on being old, that can make it more sensitive.

Also be aware that flat screen TVs are just little furnaces. Best to keep them off - or at least keeping viewing times short. I am amazed at how much heat mine emits even with good ventilation out in the open. Sigh.

Best, of course: It would be nice if everyone who needs it could be in the places that are safe & comfortable for them.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement