LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bulleye rash question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bulleye rash question
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - About 4 weeks ago, I got what *may* have been seed ticks all over my legs. Did not think I was bitten but they were so tiny that I can't say for sure. I also do not know for sure what they were.

I was already on doxy at the time. But only 200 mg per day. Have been taking doxy every day since.

Today, found what looks like a bulleye rash on one of my legs. Why is this happening even though I've been on doxy at the time of the bite and continually since then?

Does this mean the doxy isn't strong enough?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be .. That's sad!!

OR .. Did the doxy just make it show up from past exposure?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on doxy on/off for YEARS so I don't think it just brought it out now.

My question is why the bullseye when I've been on doxy all the time - not strong enough?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might as well take the full dosage. You may just be making the keets angry .. and they are still alive and kicking.

full dosage is 200 mg twice a day

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, WP, your dosage is not strong enough to kill the lyme bacteria. At lower doses like what you have been taking, doxy is bacteriostatic which means it just stops the lyme from multiplying, but does NOT kill it.

Burrascano says that treatment failures are common with these low doses, even with late lyme.

Here is the quote from Burrascano:

"There are four types of antibiotics in general use for Bb treatment. The TETRACYCLINES, including doxycycline and minocycline, are bacteriostatic unless given in high doses. If high blood levels are not attained, treatment failures in early and late disease are common. However, these high doses can be difficult to tolerate.

For example, doxycycline can be very effective but only if adequate blood levels are achieved either by high oral doses (300 to 600 mg daily)...." (p. 13)

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Thx for the responses. I increased the doxy and the rash started to fade almost immediately.
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Confirmation on the re-infection. Positive tests for babesia and bart. JEESH.

Anyone been through re-infection? How hard is it to get under control??? The positive was we caught it very early. But I'm not starting from a healthy baseline.

This is so depressing as I was doing much better right before this happened.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by WPinVA:
Thx for the responses. I increased the doxy and the rash started to fade almost immediately.

Wow... Sorry you were reinfected. I think historically most get well much more quickly than the first time .. Esp since you were already on doxy.

Best of luck!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement