LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Surgical Incision Healing and Scars Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surgical Incision Healing and Scars Question
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< LymeNet Family >>>>>,

My Incision/Scars are taking a log time to heal. And I am still very limited in what I can do.

What inexpensive things might I try to help speed recovery? Ribs and sternum are still healing, incision gets sore easily.

Also, leg where vein was removed for the bypasses still swells. I am following the Dr.'s basic advice,and doing my Cardio' twice a week,as health and schedule do not permit more.

Tomorrow, finally, we begin getting packing, moving,and cleaning crew coordination started. I cannot move much of anything[weight limitation].

I know it will take awhile, especially w/ construction still happening here. I don't want to re-injure healing areas, or damage my health.

I am also somewhat limited by allergies and skin rashes [we strongly suspect MCAS/MCAD].
I use heat and ice,and try to rest,as well as several supplements [have to be very careful what I use,so as not to have heart act up, tachycardia occasionally still hits].

It is complicated ,as one can see, but I have to keep trying. For me, I'll be mostly 'supervising' and deciding what to keep and what I don't need.

TrekC' will be doing the same,and will coordinate efforts to have our bigger heavier items moved. We at least have a few weeks,but must be done by end of Sept.

I've been trying to think of stuff,that would keep the incision scars from getting sore and red. Cardio- Exercise Nurse and Phsyo'Doc, have explained that I heal slower than many others,and not to get too concerned impatient.

Very grateful to still be here,alive, even tho'I am still very tired, we don't really enjoy moving, but will be delighted when it is finally done.

Lord willing, we wont have to move again,we've moved a lot,and want to settle in to our new to us mobile home where we've been staying since April.

Just trying to figure out how, to continue, healing, and get everything done. Even with help, it is going to be interesting. And I don't want the incisions to get worse.

Incisions are not bleeding, but the main one down my chest, gets angry red, especially the top five inches or so. i see my Cardiologist early next week,to have the results of my last Echo' test read.

Thanks so much for any tho'ts and suggestions, you choose to post. And also thanks for the prayers and good healing thot's from all who've kept us in their tho'ts and prayers.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would say patience is the order of the day. With diabetes, it takes a long time to heal . . then throw MCAS on top of it and it's not a good mix.

As long as your doctors are not worried, then just try to relax.

I know nothing about what would help... but hoping SOMEONE here does!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

Thank You for the reply! I've been trying to think of something that might help my incision, and haven't really come up with anything either.

The Nurse was really encouraging today at Cardio', for much of it, I have to just be really watchful not to strain the incision areas. No heavy lifting, pulling, pushing things around etc.

So I'm mostly side lined in the moving department. I've been wondering about some sort of cream that wont break me out, for incision. I have a Lidocaine based cream, but can only use it in very small amounts.

I wont be doing much tomorrow, we'll be explaining to our packers what all is up .And I have to do a few clothes.

Will ask Cardiologist, too, about something safe to use, to keep incisions healthy,they still get rather sore.

On the MCAS, the more I read, the more I want to find out about the LLMD [ supposed to be one here now, we are getting paperwork,but it'll take awhile].

My PCP doesn't know much about MCAS,but I am betting a Doctor, who has Lyme Disease will have some info'. It seems to go hand and glove with LD, FM/CFID's IBS and so on.

Maybe, TrekC' and I can stop further health damage,as we get more info' and perhaps get to see the new Doctor.

It gives us some hope,in the middle of heart issues, Estate issues[getting closer to being done!],and getting all our stuff finally moved.

Gotta sign off for now, and rest, had Cardio exercise today [TrekC' too now!].

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have no pacemaker or other devices inside your body, you may use high magnetic therapies such as PEMFs or the Violet Ray.

The Violet RAy is a 30 dollar device sold in amazon or ebay (there are though better models which are more expensive) said to be invented by Tesla and recommended by Cayce for healing several conditions.

I use it extensively for healing wounds or burns.

Another more expensive device I use is the PE1, with pulsed infrared. It does not do better, but it also helps (I usually do first the Violet Ray, though).

My cesarean scars were still red 2 years after surgery. The drs said it was good. It kept itching the whole time.

A naturopath looked at it and said it was bad. She gave me procaine injections (neuraltherapy) to help it heal. And boy, it did heal fast.

In a few days after those injections on the scar (a bit painful though,as she pricked many times around the scar) the redness disappeared for good.

I still had to do it 2x more, I think, but the skin healed completely. Of course I can see the scar still, but it's really almost invisible.

What neural therapy also does is that it reconnects the cut acupuncture meridians back. So they say.

I'm also sure plasma Rife can do something too, for the scars, but I don't have one...

And I always apply iodine on the wounds. I find it works the best, superficially. for the inside part, I use the Violet Ray or the PE1 (or go to my practitioner to get procaine)

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a type of butter that my mom used. it's also for stretch marks but I can't remember name. it's supposed to keep scars pliable and aid healing.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are thinking of cocoa butter, randi.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try this

b12+ DMSO

get PURE b12 methylcobalamin, no additives. add a bit of high concentrate DMSO to the liquid B12, clean area REAL well, apply b12/dmso to area, rub it in with CLEAN fingers.

the dmso takes the b12 into the skin. either that or get the real nice topical b12 from b12oils.com

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin E oil heals scars. Either buy vit. E oil, or prick a capsule with a needle and squeeze some out. Rub in daily. Also, take it orally.

Also, you can buy silicone patches to put on to help scars heal---in drug stores or online. But that might be more for helping scars cosmetically---no sure about that part.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one thing to look at is BPC-157.

this is a VERY powerful healing peptide that is specially proven to accelerate wound healing in diabetics.

let me know if you want more info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/5raknu/bpc157_a_healing_peptide_summary_of_known_benefits/

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hello there, <<<<< Brussels,TF,randi',lapis',and Rumi'>>>>>,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look up things,and check links.

We at least have Vit. E, so I can start with that!

I am wired together,after they cut open the ribs, so I don't know what all affects that situation. The wiring is permanent, guess I'll be wand-ed every time I must go thru airport security now.

This is greatly appreciated, thanks each of y'all! [Smile]

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Updating:

Doctors appointments have gone well so far, I am just a slow healer[I'm sure the LD and Co-infections hasn't helped.

Keeping a bit of Lidocaine and lotions on the incision.The incision is slow to heal,and strains very easily. So trying not to overdo as we get more things moved.

We've been trying to get moved since April,and need to finish by end of this month now. Working to finish up dads estate finally, it'll be good to be done.

And I am waiting on the results of another test, hopefully it will turn out well. I'd prefer not to have more procedures or surgeries and such. So far no news- is good news.

TrekC' has a Cardio appt. next week, hoping things are healing for him also. He's had some Knee issues as he tries to do the Cardio Exercises.

We are both very glad to still be here,and alive, working toward getting some health back.

Jus' Silverwolfi checking in

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You two are on the upward swing!

Hope the incision will be past history very soon!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recovering from surgery, esp what you had, is no joke! And with the added issues that those of us with TBD's have, it's. whole lot more. And moving on top of that----what??? Too much! Life.

Take care and don't strain it. Are you doing any PT for recovery (gently)?

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Lymetoo,and Rumigirl >>>>>,

Thank you both, for the kind remarks!

Lymetoo, we are hopeful things are turning around for the better. There are still some issues,and we are trying to get thru them, praying neither of us need more surgery.

Rumigirl, How are you,I saw you've had some more serious health issues as well, praying for you,and hoping for no more cancer.

I am trying not to be scared as to our situation, it is hard, and suddenly in the middle of the move former landlord is being a real jerk. TrekC' is trying to work thru things with the guy [we've always kept up rental payments on time and etc].

The other test I mentioned, is a common test ,I've had some unexplained bleeding, unrelated to the surgery. And still fighting a friction rash that is not helping matters. No results yet,and we are praying all is well.

TrekC's last knee surgery[last summer], did not fix an underlying problem, and he continues to experience great weariness and weakness after his two heart attacks and follow up stent procedure [Holiday season 2016].

We are both trying to get to Cardio-size twice a week, not always possible. Trek is handicapped by the knee problems right now,that makes Cardio Exercise difficult.

And my incision, is taking very long time to heal. I strain so easily, and I am trying not to be frustrated [ pretty sure the LD and Co's are not helping matters ].

As we recently told a friend, I trip easily, even over invisible dust bunnies. That isn't helping.

We have friends helping us pack up the old place, and friends doing construction renovations where we are now [in between their other jobs], to increase the safety and efficacy of our home.

Please forgive if I sound to be complaining, I don't mean to, just everything at once including working with our lawyer to finish my Father's estate ,and get it closed properly.

Sadly there have been some very uncooperative relatives involved[[And it has come to having five lawyers due to all the issues,two of them are working for/with us].

About the PT, thankfully my Cardio Doc' and my Surgeon got me into an excellent Cardio exercise program the Physio-Doc' and Nurse are great[ each session we are monitored w/ portable EKG's].

And we are watched closely[ the Cardio-size folk helped TrekC' fight thru things with the VA so he exercises with me, when we are able to go!

Now if we can get Medicaid to stop their refusal to pay for my two Drs.' ordered PT Cardio-size [they are claiming some sort of "not covered" clause],and then get the VA to cooperate,and get TrekC's full and proper disability pay settled, maybe things will finally calm down.

It really is all too much to deal with at once, And we are just trying to get thru it w/o anymore dangerous cardio events.

Hopefully TrekC's appt. with his Cardio Doc will go well, so he doesn't need more procedures.
I am praying and trying to give it all to God,and asking for improved health for us both.

Again, I know this mess has gone on and on, and I don't mean to gripe and drone on. Both myself and TrekC ' are grateful to be alive, health issue and all. And continuing to pray for friends, and family, Lyme family included.

What with dangerous storms, fires and earthquakes happening, we all need prayer and hope. For me, The Lord is my hope and help in the middle of all these things.

For those of you who read thru all this reply, Thank You so much, and thank you for any tho'ts and prayers you choose to give.

Jus' Silverwolfi... perhaps a bit overwrought, and overwhelmed...but still fighting on...

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Jus' me the Silverwolfi again,

Had a tho't that I am likely also experiencing
a bit of the 'serious heart event/ and-or heart attack blues'.

I was blessed that my heart muscle was not damaged, the blockages could have both damaged things severely and or taken my life. I never tho't that I would need a quintuple bypass... Uhm... surprise...

Remembering part of a song here... ' When my heart is overwhelmed... I go to the Rock that is higher than I! '.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

You are right, Silver .. anyone who has been through all that is going to battle the blues. It's a well-known part of suffering a heart attack or having bypass surgery.

Just hang in there and trust in the Lord. I hope it gets easier soon.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

You guys, and many on LN. have been through way more than most people could begin to imagine. Of course, you're going through the blues from it all! Join the club.

If Trek can't do cardio with his legs, can he do the arm bicycle thing? (Don't remember what they call it). Or even a rowing machine, which does involve the legs, but no weight on them. Or a recumbent bike, which is the legs, but, again, no weight on them.

But all the other stress on top of it all?? Good grief, that's a lot.

Here's to better days going forward, I hope.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

One other thought, which may be "beyond the scope" financially and every other way, but, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is supposed to help wounds heal better. Maybe, maybe, maybe it would be covered??

Maybe your wound healing issues are for other reasons, like having it strain---which sure doesn't sound good under the circumstances. But it must be hard to avoid, esp with moving!

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Lymetoo, and Rumigirl >>>>>,

Thank you both for the encouraging words!
I often find myself wondering,how we all get thru these messes.

We do it because we must, and super tired, feeling blue... I'm still fighting! And still praying for our LymeNet Family, these are those "no way out but thru'.". situations, and prayer does help.

The Bike pedals for arms machine, is one of the few things TrekC' can do right now. early this next week we're going again,and they will help him see what else he can do. he will try with his knee brace to see if holding the knee in place may help!

The second time I tried the arm pedal machine[ TrekC' calls it 'the Ice Cream Maker machine] , my incision, got angry red, and looked like a vertical Fire Weave pattern, Physio Doc' and Nurse said, no more of that for awhile,as I am healing slow.

More recently I went to grab a book, that got in the path of spilled water,it was heavier than I tho't, and just from that I had a small blood spot,at top of incision, for about two days.

So my exercise sessions, are Sci-fit bike, Nu-step -sort of like a bike and a rowing machine cross, and basic treadmill. I am on low settings as anything more will set off the incision.

Ameri-group Medicaid, tends not to want to pay for much. We had to fight to get them to get PCA's to help me at home so TrekC' could at least get groceries.

Because I trip very easily,and can't liftmuch right now, moving is interesting to say the least, Friends are helping us when ever possible.

I am so very glad that Lymenet is here, I think about this a lot. LymeNet Family understands. And we are blessed to have some folk in our church, who understand how stressful things can be,even if they don't fully understand the chronic illnesses.

I am trying to be really cautious, because my ribs are literally wired back together, and the sternum is still healing as the Surgeon had to actually scrape it... He found a lot of Osteoperosis there.

When I get frustrated, the Docs' and TrekC remind me, " you had a quintuple bypass', and a long incision in your chest, and a couple inches of incision in your leg. Moving is very stressful,and dealing with a parents estate and grieving is not easy either.".

I am trying to be patient, and feel like I am starting over, it is hard to think straight and stay on task... but I am definitely still fighting thru this.

Thank you again, for the kind encouragement.
Each time I can type in here,I see others who are fighting so many issues,and not giving up!

Jus' That Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

jory
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh geez Silverwolfi, that was hard to read, I'm sorry things are so tough for you now. I am glad that you're healing though, however slow and despite your need to battle the insurance company [Frown] Wishing you and TrekC better days!

Jus' Jory
d(^_^)b

Posts: 289 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
honey, you need to step back and relax.

my bil had triple and it took him a lmost a year to get over it. my sister slept in their guest room for several months.

it's going to take time. heck I had a foot of my colon taken out and it took a couple of months.

you had major major surgery and it's going to take time. no lifting, no straining, no nothing.

and lyme on top of it. whew...

please just lay back and be waited on.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Silver .. did you try aloe vera? I would try the real plant.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< jory,randi', and Lymetoo >>>>>,

Things still are not going very well,and I am trying hard not to be discouraged. TrekC' is still battling more medical issues, and that has me more concerned than anything else.

I am tired of this 'meanwhile back at the ranch' scenario playing out. If it isn't one thing it is another. Still w/ uncooperative relatives causing issues, and a soon to be former landlord making problems to boot.

Y'all know how it is when your moving, we aren't the most organized folk ,and I can't seem to find anything right now.

We have some folk trying to help,in between their own work issues,and physical limitations. And I have to force myself to just sit still for a bit, now and again.

Because we need to be out by end of month,at the old place, and I wont be able to even direct folks where to put stuff if I get worse, or if TrekC' does.

I will see about getting an Aloe plant, that is a good idea, Thanks Lymetoo!

Jory, I appreciated your reply, I keep just having to give things right back to the Lord, I'm not supposed to be picking up bundles that are too heavy, literally or figuratively.

Randi', I wish I could just lay back,and let others wait on me, sometimes there is no choice, so I am trying to choose wisely what I should do, and when.

It'll get easier when we get the other place emptied, and the cleaners come in, we are taking pictures after, to prove it is properly cleaned, so landlord can't balk at that too.

I would figure I am still in a bit of shock, after this sudden problem and surgery in May, and TrekC' still not well either.

Even with various issues swirling around us, such as the workers doing our flooring and closet in master Bdrm, getting a 3:00 a.m emergency call to go to a different job site over in California, and one pack and move helper,battling neck problems.

And the other packers, having serious health issues in family [and they still did critter sitter for us], I have to say God is good. He could have called either of us home, but in his mercy and grace, he has given us more time.

I am praying,and trying to learn to handle the time I have more efficiently. So I am trying hard to not let things worry me. All that does is get us ulcers.

Hospital and Medicaid are disagreeing,so we've gotten one bill, and been advised not to pay, but to insist hospital billing staff and Medicaid battle it out. So that's what we'll be doing.

The harder battle for me, is to deal with a sullen and uncooperative family member. And I am just giving them to God, We've consulted our lawyer,and are proceeding accordingly.

I will be so glad, when TrekC's med tests are done, the move is complete, and Dad's estate is all finished. Meanwhile I am fighting hard to keep my joy,and not turn into a stick in the mud w/ no sense of humor.

If it wasn't for the Lord, LymeNet,and our church family, I don't know how we'd make it.
Despite various issues, including some recent computer problems. I will keep fighting, and resting when ever I can too.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chest looks like...well, many surgeries to install ports et al. I use Microcyn from Amazon that is a wound healer. My doctor told me about it. I also use Mederma ointment OC on them.That helps with pain too.Dr gave me patches for scar healing. I can't remember the name.

If leg is swelling, can you wrap it from your toes to groin in elastic bandages? It helps take swelling down and eases pain. I learned from a lymphedema specialist how to do it. I have the electric leg cuffs that help, too.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement