LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » chronic cough...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chronic cough...
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this cough for months. sometimes its so thick i cough up crud, other times jus cough.

my doctor jus says oh thats some nasty cough you have there but since I have malignant blood pressure I cant even take cough syrup.

does lyme cause chronic cough?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very possibley Chlamydia Pneumonia, a lyme co-inf

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support-forums/general-support/212679-chlamydia-pneumonia-lymes-twin-sister

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good info here

http://www.cpnhelp.org/potential_new_protocol?page=1

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to Cpn, Babesia sure caused me to cough a lot - for years.

Be sure to banish all fuzzy things around for the microbes they can attract - and very fine particulate matter can get into the lungs and be such an irritant. Clothes, textiles, even bath mats (a cork mat does not shed at all or harbor germs).

A HEPA filtering system on your vacuum is also important.

Of other things to consider: milk / dairy. Why?

Milk causes phlegm. That's the major reason to avoid it. Phlegm harbors all kinds of germs and the respiratory systems and gut can really hold a lot of phlegm. And, so many other reasons:

http://tinyurl.com/obow8h5

Got Milk? Might Not Be Doing You Much Good

- by Aaron E. Carroll - The New York Times - Nov. 17, 2014

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/?hp

Got Milk? You Don't Need It

By MARK BITTMAN - The New York Times, July 7, 2012

and follow-up to that:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/more-on-milk/?ref=opinion?hp

July 24, 2012

More on Milk

By MARK BITTMAN -The New York Times

Sidebar: When a lifetime of suffering, medical visits and prescription drugs can be resolved with a not especially challenging dietary change, a certain amount of retroactive frustration seems justifiable.

Not surprisingly, experiences like mine with dairy, outlined in my column of two weeks ago, are more common than unusual, at least according to the roughly 1,300 comments and e-mails we received since then.

In them, people outlined their experiences with dairy and health problems as varied as heartburn, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, eczema, acne, hives, asthma (``When I gave up dairy, my asthma went away completely''),

- full article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
https://www.diet-health.info/en/100001/papers/6166/nutrition/book-review-dont-drink-your-milk-by-frank-a-oski

“Don’t Drink Your Milk!“

by Frank A. Oski - First publ. 1996; 3rd edition 2013

Another doctor recognized problems caused by milk and provided short descriptions for 32 of the many studies he had analyzed.

Book Review - 28 Jul 2015

Excerpts [Much more extensive detail in the book]:

. . . Vegetables (such as spinach, chard or mangold) contain at least twice as much iron and up to 30 times more than in milk. Vegetables also often contain more calcium if you consider the important net intake figure. . . .

. . . In the next part of the book Dr. OSKI writes about milk allergies and these have nothing to do with lactose intolerance.

Nasal congestion, asthma attacks, respiratory infections, uneven skin changes, vomiting or diarrhea are all symptoms of cow's milk allergy, where there is no other explanation for it. . . .

. . . But one must always carefully ascertain no other reasons exist for these symptoms.

Unfortunately, people suffer too often from unrecognized food allergies. You should always check first if milk is the cause of any symptom.

Food allergies, and especially milk, are often not IgE-dependent. Gluten intolerance (celiac disease) is also one of the immunological, non-IgE-caused food intolerances.

Antibodies in the blood rarely indicate more besides the fact that the person has been consuming more of that food item. . . .

. . . Research Appendix, Page 95

On the following pages, Prof. Dr. FRANK ARAM OSKI M.D. introduces 32 scientific papers he used . . . .

[this book review provides an annotated bibliography with key points of those papers, along with some References and Reading

Suggestions. Scroll all the way down.]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
ELDERBERRY EXTRACT has been a wonderful helpful to calm coughs for me.

Also to help reduce coughing spasms from irritation & sooth the tissue in the throat:

Slippery Elm Bark, Marshmallow Root, DGL (a form of licorice)

And some kind of anti-inflammatory such as Turmeric / Curcumin -- & Ginger (but not too much as ginger can be a bit stimulating)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Your magnesium levels might do well to be checked. RBC / intracellular levels, not blood serum.

If magnesium is low, muscle spasms from coughs can be so much worse. But the kind taken, and the frequency matter. Details:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jus got tested. I'm low in potassium, cholesterol is a little high but not enuff for statins. also had a ct scan for calcium in the heart. I'm excellent for that. no deposits.

also the sneezing after eating is so bad. I counted 10 sneezes after lunch. dr says its rhinitis but i sneeze no matter what I eat. embarrasing...

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The thing is that most doctors are not going to suggest all the various causes (not to mention the influences that may not be a cause but can make things worse)

nor some of the solutions to try. They just don't think that way.

There are so many variables that we have to "test out" for ourselves regarding textiles, products we are around, apply, ingest or breathe, etc.

Inflammation is the largest influence and while it may take a while to figure out the cause(s), inflammation is most certainly something to address that is likely to help.

Inflammation can cause more phlegm to develop & make it harder for the body to move it out - and that's never a good thing for a body to have choke any of its systems.

Oh, that brings me to WATER being so very vital to help the lungs, too. But it takes a concerted plan to cover all the bases. And most typical doctors are just not going to walk anyone through what it takes.
-

lapis29
Member # 47626

try some essential oils in the nose. Thieves oil would be great. Young Living is the best, imho

i've done this and it really helps

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear what are you eating that brings on the sneezing? That could very well be a histamine intolerance type issue.

While it might not be related to the cough, avoiding foods your body doesn't like can reduce the overall burden of what you have to deal with, possibly improving many different symptoms. Food intolerances definitely contribute to inflammation.

Babesia gives me a wicked cough, it's either cough or choke until I do. It tends to be sporadic but much worse and more frequent when Babs is flaring. Happens at the most inopportune moments too.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there an LLMD that you could see?? I know, this is Texas, no known for being kind to LLMD's. You sure do need it.

I'm not saying that everything is that, but it sure would help.

And yes to the food intolerances, histamine issues, etc.

What gz says above is exactly what I experience with coughing, choking, short of breath, etc. I badly need to get back on treatment.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

I sneeze no matter what I eat. I've checked dairy, meat, veggies, you name it. doesn't matter if I eat at home or a restaurant.

frustrating because I can't take any medication, at all. my bp won't allow it. not even coricidine.

called one llmed in denton. he's not taking new patients plus he's raised his fees and all cash. I called a center in dallas and they said they don't treat lyme. rats..

can't convince dr to send me for allergy testing. I swear if he mentions stress again I'm going to kill him.

I asked the cardio if stress caused this last episode and he said no. he said it definitely will raise bp but he's never seen a patient whose stress caused it to go that high...ever. so no he didn't believe it was stress.

one idiot even suggested lyme was stress induced. almost hit that one...grrr

--------------------

hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe check with your TX Lyme Support Groups to see if they can suggest someone you could see:

TX online state Lyme groups:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TexasLyme/info

Some more resources for you (including Support Groups info):
http://whatislyme.com/lyme-in-texas/

www.txlda.org

http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Texas/

How about getting homeopathic treatment? It is gentle and doesn't interfere with medications.

http://homeopathyyes.com/

http://www.homeopathyhouston.com/

Perhaps a Functional Medicine doctor could help you? Find one here:

https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement