LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I want off ativan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want off ativan
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on .5 ativan at night for insomnia and anxiety. I want to stop taking it as it's addictive and it's really not helping.

my doctor wants me to continue. I can't go cold turkey as it can be dangerous.

I'm taking elavil 10 mg but am having extreme dry mouth, eye twitching, etc.

how can I convince my dr I want to stop? last time I approached him about stopping he got really upset.

no, I'm not a dr but shouldn't patients have the right to say I don't want this drug? if I had known about it being so addictive I never would have started it.

I can't believe my sister has been on it for over 6 years.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: "how can I convince my dr I want to stop?"

You don't convince him. Just don't. Walk away.

You say: "last time I approached him about stopping he got really upset."

So what? Walk away.

Q: "not a dr but shouldn't patients have the right to say I don't want this drug?"

Yes, indeed. Absolutely.

The thing is that it seems you are giving away your personal power to this particular doctor and he is not using that power wisely or as incentive to listen to you & then do the best for you. It's his way or the highway.

Find another doctor for crying out loud. One who is better educated, informed and well rounded. One who will listen to patients and offer solid and safe alternatives that will be suited for their particular situations.

The typical medical system so infused with cash from the pharmaceutical industry as well as colored by their inadequate education in this area - well, it all has a way of stripping most patients of their power. It's time to break that cycle. Walk away.

You've written about your doctor before with similar concerns. He is not going to change. You will never convince him.

Besides, he does not have the education or wisdom you require. He cannot do what you ask. It's not what he does. It's just not.

It's a dysfunctional relationship - as are many between doctor & patient in the standard approach for the past many decades. Don't try to change him, but you can break the cycle and walk away.

A holistic doctor or a naturopathic physician might be far better suited to your needs in how to titrate down an Rx while simultaneously offering your body the required support measures and safe alternatives -- and work WITH you.

Likely, such a doctor is not going to be on your insurance plan as most insurance plan are heavily influenced by the pharmaceutical cartel, er, industry.

Still, even if you pay on your own for a doctor with a different kind of education and expertise, you will be ahead of the game in the long run.

Yet, some insurance plans are offering access to more holistic approaches. Some also include naturopathic physicians. Just don't let your insurance plan dictate and kidnap you regarding the way to best approach your health.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could a holistic or naturopathic doctor help me get off ativan?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes. Some are excellent in this regard. There is a big difference in the scope & education of two kinds of doctors, though.

Holistic doctors are generally more into the typical medical world to a degree but might shy away from Rx with side effects or body stress.

Some holistic doctors may know about some nutrient supplements (vitamins, minerals, diet) but generally are not educated in herbal medicine other than in passing.

Some holistic MDs may have taken various courses here and there so be sure to check each one in light of their scope.

Naturopathic doctors have four years' medical college with study ranging from how the human body works . . . nutritional (vitamins, minerals and the like) & also herbal medicines.

NDs also study pharmaceuticals, though, so they have that background and understand how Rx work for those patients they see who may be taking various Rx

and they should know when a specific Rx is needed, or maybe when it is not. And then, what else in the herbal medicine chest might be better. They would also know when Rx and herbal medicine could (or would not) work together.

And, yes, if a patient wants to go off a certain Rx, a good ND should know all about if that is possible, if it's advisable and if okay, how to go about it in a safe manner.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://txand.wildapricot.org/

Texas Association of Naturopathic Doctors

http://www.naturopathic.org/natfaqs

Naturopathic Medicine: 100 Frequently Asked Questions

www.ilads.org

ILADS - you might contact ILADS to see who in your area has completed an ILADS physician training program -- or ask as your state / local ND associations.

It would be best to see an LL ND -- even if not to treat lyme / TBD -

so they have the background regarding how a body can be changed / affected by lyme & tick borne disease. Most with lyme / TBD simply do not respond the same way to many Rx as most others w/out lyme / TBD.

Many with lyme/TBD can have some far ranging (and sometimes dangerous) side effects to even common Rx that many in the general population don't experience. This is important for any doctor know.

Regarding nutrient / herbal medicines so, too, many with lyme/TBD require different dosing or different approaches than the general population.

If can't locate a LL ND and you see an ND who is not LL, be sure to tell them so they might at least call and talk with an ILADS trained LL ND another state.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he wants you to continue, then get the script filled and taper on your own. Go very very slowly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Although one might be on a very low dose, very likely since lyme / TBD can cause Rx to be much harsher, tapering off even a low dose can be something quite substantial, too. Body types vary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorazepam

Lorazepam, sold under the brand name Ativan among others, is a benzodiazepine medication. . . .

[Many more important details about this medication here, including withdrawal - be sure to read that section for background.]

http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/detox/sedative-anti-convulsant-detox-ativan-ambient-benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: What to Expect - How to Taper – How to Cope

Table of Contents

1. Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Symptoms
2. How to Quit? Taper Down or Cold Turkey?

3. Tapering Methods
4. Avoiding Alcohol during Benzo Withdrawals

5. Coping with Withdrawal Symptoms: Self Help
6. Should You Consider Counseling?

7. Medications That Can Ease Withdrawal Symptoms *

8. Less Common Withdrawal Symptoms

* poster's comment: There may be some expert articles elsewhere on what nutrients could also be of help. The thing is, though, since you are also on other pharmaceutical Rx & there could be interactions, it would be really important for an ND to guide you in whatever you do.

Magnesium, for instance, is the first thing that comes to mind, yet the TYPE, dosage and frequency (must be 3 x day, never all at once) will vary depending upon your body and other Rx you may be taking.

It would be good to get an INTRACELLULAR RBC test to see what your magnesium level is, though. Typical blood serum test for this is useless.

Herbs that come to mind: Passionflower; Tulsi (Holy Basil); Skullcap tincture . . . .

I would AVOID VALERIAN as that can have some very harsh effects on some people. I cannot caution strongly enough that valarian is not one to consider at this time. Absolutely not.
-

[ 10-03-2017, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You might give them a call for suggestions on holistic MDs & also naturopathic doctors in your area. They likely know many with whom they have crossed paths.

http://www.ehcd.com/

The Environmental Health Center - Dallas, Texas
-

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugg. I'm tapering off Klonopin. I too REALLY want off. I only decrease it by .12 mg each time and it ALWAYS throws me into a tail spin. I'm splitting the pill in 1/4.

I'm down half my original dose, but I honestly think it will take me another year to get fully off.

My withdrawal (down time) usually last about 6 weeks and by the end of the 6 weeks, I start to feel like it will never get better, but it does.

Sooo hard. I agree with Keebler. Find another dr.

My Dr. is on board, but I don't think they really know how hard it is. She is a sleeping dr. and said I should drop the dose every 2 weeks.

Ummm. NO. I couldn't do that. But I'm making it... slowly!

Keep us posted. It's easier with others support.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

the .5 pill is so small i dont see how i can cut it in half.

I've been on that dosage bout a year I think.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not be hooked on it, randi .. That's a pretty low dosage. Do be careful though, because as HW said .. It can throw you into a tailspin.

I had that happen with trazodone. A doctor told me it was bad for my heart .. and it WAS...my heart doctor didn't even know that.

I followed his instructions and it was horrible. Then I spent the next 18 months or so reducing it slowly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the blazes is wrong with these blasted doctors who don't know this and don't care??!! Well, that could fill a book, I'm sure.

Lymetoo may be right. But still, you don't want to do it on your own. Lord have mercy!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lot of meds to wean off of and I have found acupuncture really helps. I time the appt for when I expect withdrawal to hit. So far it has kept me from going into my usual tailspin.

I haven't tried it for ativan but will after I am done tapering this one drug.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear, my hubby is on .5 of generic Ativan. He has been trying to wean off ever since he started on it. He took less than the prescribed dose almost from the beginning.

He cuts the pills in half and then in fourths. Sometimes they do crumble.

And yes, if you are addicted you MUST go SLOWWW!
Hubby's one doctor told him, "you will feel like you're going crazy when you weans off the med. But, you're not! Its the med."

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

manna, how long has he been on it? I'm spending a fortune on meds and I don't think they're helping a bit.

drs are wrong to not tell you about them.

somebody told me to cut it in half every other night. others say to cut the pill in half for a month, then cut in half again for a month.

wish the drs had plan for getting you off. even the pharmacist said only go 24 hours without it, 48 is pushing it. but they wont refill early and last time drs office took 3 days to refill.

what if something happens because the dr won't refill? his fault or mine??

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sounds better:

"... others say to cut the pill in half for a month, then cut in half again for a month."

Like I said, refill now and plan ahead.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

my pharmacy won't refilluntil I'm down to one pill. ridiculous...

and it takes my dr 2-3 days to approve it. it's a no refill prescription unless authorized.

I tried to refill once when I had 3-4 pills left and they said no.

wth????

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Usually it's by the date. My insurance allows me to refill about a week early.

Sounds like you will really have to be careful weaning off. If you reduce your intake, then next month they will THINK you are out of pills.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you get your pharmacist to at least call for a refill but you not fill it until next month?

When my ativan or klonipin is out of refills, I have the pharmacy immediately request a refill and then it is ready for me to fill the next month.

The next time I see my doctor I am going to ask for two a day so I don't have to go through the panic or likely chance I won't get a refill in time. (If I forget to do above process ).

When dose was high I could wean faster but now at .5 mg I have to do smaller amounts with at least a couple weeks if not a month in between to lET everything settle down.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

nope, I go to a local big box and they are notorious for being, ummm, difficult.

I had to fight with them to give me my tricare. it took days.

they don't refill early, take days to call dr, question everything.

I've been going there for years.

when I question something it's always call your doctor. I think they're afraid of being sued.

--------------------

Stumpy
Member # 27320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, I have been on low dose valium for 3 years. I have been tapering for 8 months and it is very hard to deal with the benzo withdrawal in addition to the anxiety caused by lyme and company.

My doctor doesn't think I should even think about coming off so I don't say anything. Some doctors will just stop filling your scripts because they have no idea how hard it is to come off or how slow some people have to be in tapering. That is cruel in my opinion.

Benzobuddies is a good site to explain how to taper off. There is also a Facebook group called Benzodiazepines Withdrawal Solutions and Recovery that has in their files how to taper.

I was on such a low dose that I thought it would be so easy. It has been very hard for me. I hope it is very easy for you. Best of luck.

Posts: 68 | From Kentucky | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, Is there another pharmacy that you can use that might be better? I know, switching and all, but this one sounds not good.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, I think its going towards 5 years he's on it.
Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Rumigirl:
Randi, Is there another pharmacy that you can use that might be better? I know, switching and all, but this one sounds not good.

-
I would switch in a heartbeat.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone mentioned a water titration method to me. I think I will try this in the future. I decreased about 6 weeks ago and I'm not going to attempt to decrease again for a while.

What are your thoughts of dissolving a pill and taking out portions of the dissolved fluid. Does it enter/leave system faster, etc.

Has anyone tried this water titration method?
http://www.benzosupport.org/water_titration.htm

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

I'm going to cut it in fourths. take 3/4 for a month, then 1/2 for a month then a quarter.

others have done this and said it was ok.

--------------------

MannaMe
Member # 33330

That's a good plan. But its okay if you need to wait 6 weeks to lower the dose.

Give your body time to adjust before lowering the dose again.

A month is a good place to start. Much better than a week, like hubby's other doctor told him to do it. That was awful!

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randi. I remember you! I'm sorry to hear about the mess your in. Been there, too. A dr told me to quit Ambien cold turkey. I shook, threw up so bad that my daughter lay on the bed with me for a week of this.
I just got off Seroquel. It's bad stuff. I tried Trazadone which was better, but won't work without Restoril first. And I still woke up with a terrible hangover. But it might work for you. People are different. I went for 36 hrs with no sleep at all last week. So now I'm trying Lunesta.

Insomnia is one of the worst symptom of Lyme and it's even worse with Babesia Most doctors don't understand this.
I told my son...if this doesn't work , I plan to give up sleeping and do my writing at night!!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remembered. My husband has been working with the same pharmacist for 10+ years. He knows me, my meds etc. If I run out, he'll spot me a few pills until my new ones come in. Find a good pharmacist and tell him your issues. Give him or her a list of your current meds, dosages. Then move your prescriptions to him.

I also do the trick of getting doc to prescribe 2 instead of 1 per day so I never run out. Think about the poor folks who ran out (or were carried) barefoot to escape the fires in Napa County. How will they manage without meds...or even a pharmacy?
I'm writing an evacuation plan just in case.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement