LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how strong an antifungal and antiparasitic effect does MSM have?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how strong an antifungal and antiparasitic effect does MSM have?
GVS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GVS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the original book that was published about it, the Miracle of MSM, but the book doesn't discuss antimicrobial effects at all. There are a lot of internet websites making potentially overblown claims about those effects.

Some facts would be nice, especially if connected to websites that tell the truth.

GVS

Posts: 242 | From durham, nc | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using MSM for a long time, not as often as chlorella, but on and off. More than 10 years of experience.

It's sulfur, organic sulfur. It can help cancer, liver problems, fatigue, joints, helps to detox...

In doing that, in my opinion, it fights pathogens then indirectly, but attacking one of the main roots of the problem which is high toxicity.

Whatever you do to improve the immune system, will go towards a balance of the microbiome.

Before no one was speaking of chlorella as a killer, only as cleaning, nourishing the body. Now there are papers talking about chorella raising NK cells, which means, it directly boosts the immune system.

Before I knew about that, I knew just that many people with candida and lyme improved with chlorella, so I took it in great amounts for years as I did feel more energy, less fog, less pain overall. It was known by usage that clorella helped candida, even some people thought it killed candida.

But now with recent research on NK cells, the killing boosting of chlorella is confirmed.

Sulphur is needed for glutathione production. Without it, there is no glutathione.

MSM benefits from Mercola

As a metabolite of DMSO, it will be cleaning, taking heavy metals and toxins off, doing its antioxidant function.

Down is a paper talking about how glutathione helps to raise NK cells and fight TB.

----------------------
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18338948

It is becoming increasingly apparent that natural killer (NK) cells play a crucial role in innate defense mechanisms against Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection.

Furthermore, NK cell functions are dependent on adequate levels of glutathione.

In this study, we examined whether the NK cell-mediated growth control of intracellular M. tuberculosis is dependent on adequate levels of glutathione.

We investigated the effects of glutathione both alone and in combination with interleukin-2 (IL-2) or IL-12 or both in modulating NK cell functions,...

.... such as cytolytic activity, activating receptor expression, induction of apoptosis, and cytokine synthesis.

Our results strongly indicate that glutathione in combination with IL-2+IL-12 augments NK cell functions, leading to control M. tuberculosis infection.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article on another heavy metal binder EDTA

EDTA has the highest antifungal and fungicidal activity compared to fungicidal drugs

----------------------
This is the original article from PubMed

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16243251

The effect of calcium chelating or binding agents on Candida albicans.

The aim of this study was to evaluate antifungal effects of calcium-chelating or -binding agents on Candida albicans comparing with conventional antifungal agents.

STUDY DESIGN:

Two clinical oral isolates and 1 standard strain of C albicans were included in the study.

Test solutions were ethylenediamine-tetraacetic acid (EDTA), ethyleneglycol-tetraacetic acid (EGTA), sodium fluoride (NaF),

titanium tetrafluoride (TiF4), nystatin, and ketoconazole.

Minimum inhibitory and fungicidal concentrations of the solutions were determined.

The results were analyzed statistically using Friedman's nonparametric 2-way ANOVA and Mann-Whitney U tests.

RESULTS:

All isolates demonstrated similar susceptibility patterns (P>.05).

Except ketoconazole, EDTA had the highest antifungal and fungicidal activity, followed by TiF4.

EGTA and NaF were the weakest agents against C albicans among all test solutions.

CONCLUSION:

EDTA and TiF4 may be recommended as an alternative irrigating solution particularly in persistent root canal infections and in root canals of patients having a high incidence of oral candidosis.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MSM is supposed to help to stop parasites from attaching to the intestinal wall, thereby helping to get them out.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyme248
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme248     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried MSM and it seemed to make my symptoms worse. I was getting chest pains and my joints felt funny. I'm really not sure what it was doing. Maybe it was a herx?

I know sulfur (the active chemical in MSM) is supposed to have health benefits (the Indians drank sulfur water to treat illnesses), but I'm not sure what it actually does. Does anyone know?

--------------------
chronic Lyme/Bartonella

Inside every sick person is a well person waiting to be freed

Posts: 232 | From new england | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken MSM for about three years. The only effect that was pronounced in my case was a detoxing of the palms of my hands.

When i started taking it, the palms and fingers on both hands formed little blisters all over. I stopped taking it as i eas not sure if it was an allergic reaction. The blisters cleared up. Then I reasoned that given my hands have been exposed to vaious chemicals through out the years, it could be purging those out. I started the MSM again and sure enough the blisters came back. I figured if it was an adverse reaction then it would either get worse or if it wss a detox response, it would clear up on its own.

The blisters were present for a few werks and gradually diminished and have never returned.

My hands have few or no sweat glands in them to begin with. I have never had sweaty palms. My hypothesis is that the MSM allowed the cells to release the accumulated toxins that had no other path other than to secrete themselves out of my skin in the form of the blisters.

So all i can say from that experience is it does appear to have a detoxification effect.

I do not have lyme disease but do have Crohns disease. It was one of many methods i have used to control the disease.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement