LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » God is great, beer is good and people are crazy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God is Great, Beer is Good and People Are Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKpQRjj_WbU

At least that's what the old man said.

And this new study says drinking is good for fibromyalgia pain. Really good!

Go figure! And while you're at it, send a 10 oz. can of Budweiser and shot of Peppermint Schnapps my way!

🤣🤣🤣

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29546348

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm aggravated. What's the name of this liquor?

Comes in a pretty bottle (fairly thick glass). Use to be stored inside a felt box (shaped like a book) with a pretty rose picture on the lift-off lid.

Comes in a rectangular shaped bottle about (rough guess) 10 inches high, 2 inches deep and 5 inches wide. Expensive compared to other drinks.

Sweet smell and smooth, sweet taste with a rather thick consistency compared to water. Served over rocks, or straight up. Believe it was suppose to be served after dinner? Not sure on that.

Use to say if I drank that would be what I'd drink! Just can't remember the name of it since working in a restaurant 30 years ago- the last time I saw it.

I keep wanting to say Kahlua, but that's not it.

????????

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Ah ha! Whew!

I found it by looking up the box it came in- going thru pictures! Anyone know? Can't believe I just researched that for almost a half hour!

I love Google! Even when everyone I know is sleeping, Google is there for me!

Bartender Bonnie? Anyone? Guess?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no connoisseur of fine liquors, but the name *vermouth* sprang to mind, so I googled it.

Surprise, surprise. Vermouth is made from wormwood, which is very bitter and which has been considered medicinal in the past, as were many other similar bitter substances.

Vermouth can be either dry (not sweet) or sweet. If it's sweet, then I would assume that it has had a lot of sugar added to it -- but again, I'm no connoisseur of any alcoholic spirits.

Is vermouth what you were thinking about, TC?

And what the heck am I doing at this wee hour, trying to answer one of TC's crazy questions, anyway?

I got up early so that I could get an early start on my day, and here I am wasting my time on this nonsense ....

.....when what I was really interested in was why on earth those PubMed authors wasted their time publishing such a ridiculous study as the one that TC cited above? (PMID 29546348)

OTOH, I didn't read their actual paper, only just the abstract, because their paper was hidden behind a pay wall. If they really wanted anyone to read it, they should have published it as an open access paper anyhow.

My immediate thought was that the authors should have been looking at the genetics of alcohol tolerance, instead of the benefits of alcohol consumption for FM pain control. (MOO - my opinion only)

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tincup

My guess would be Galieno ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=galeio,+liquior&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=4mjEy363feQk8M:

My very first apartment, I would use empty Galieno bottles as candles holders.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great song!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? I almost passed out from drinking alcohol in the beginning! One of my first symptoms - no drinking!
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup: Tequila Rose (my first thought)

Also came across Musgrave Pink Gin which might fit given the description of the bottle and box and it's probable expense (have not heard/seen this one before)

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey!

Very good responses and very good guesses! (Even though TX Lyme Mom said my question was crazy.) HA!

[Razz]

Bonnie might have come closest to the right answer, I think? It is a sweet Italian liquor, as was her guess. Good one! And that liquor does have a nice, but to me, a strong taste! Good in mixed drinks, which BB would have known.

But, then again, maybe gz came closest? That strawberry cream does sound really sweet and good! Hard to walk away from that! Good guess!

TX Lyme Mom said vermouth. I never tasted it, but have smelled it and that experience was something that would NOT make me want to drink it.

So TX is in last place- with Tutu, who liked the song, and Robin who actually mentioned the health problems it could cause both ahead of her.

Had TX not hurt my feelings she'd have gotten third place. Too bad baby! [Razz] [Razz]

[Big Grin]

I'm starting to realize the one I'm thinking about perhaps isn't well known?

The name is Amaretto di saronno. Ever heard of it?

My goodness it sure smelled good, and when I last tasted it decades ago, it was good!

Here is a brief WIKI- with the picture of the bottle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaronno

Funny I can still remember the smell!

Here is a picture of the pretty rose box it came in. I saved 2 of them and got others (saved them from work) and gave them away too. One of mine was the one pictured at the link below. The other one had red roses on it.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/127532-1970s--amaretto-di-saronno-floral-gift

Now, my belly is full of salad, and I'm fading fast, so no more drinking talk tonight!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought this topic was supposed to be all about PubMed #29546348.

I repeat: My immediate thought was that the authors should have been looking at the genetics of alcohol tolerance, instead of the benefits of alcohol consumption for FM pain control.

I liked Robin's comment the best -- that alcohol intolerance is a suspicious symptom of Lyme disease.

That's because the liver can't handle any extra toxins to process when it is already overwhelmed in processing the downstream effects of a chronic Bb infection.

It's obvious to me that these authors don't have any clue about one of the most important causes of FM pain, namely chronic Bb infection. What a huge waste of research funds -- not to mention a waste of booze. And so it goes....

I still think that my guess about vermouth is the best answer though, because vermouth at least has the potential to be medicinal -- since it's the bitters which give it its medicinal qualities, assuming that one can tolerate anything with alcohol in it, that is.

Heck, some folks can't even tolerate any liquid herbal extracts because of the tiny bit of alcohol residue in them -- although one doctor suggested to us the trick of adding it to water and then letting it sit out for 20-30 min., long enough for the alcohol to evaporate, before ingesting it. It still tastes nasty though, even when diluted.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement