LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » cholesterol....oh man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cholesterol....oh man
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
results are not good.

cholesterol 231
triglyceride 156
hdl 51
ldl 149

i know they will say I absolutely have to go on statins but I dont want to.

I wish my pcp had been doing his job all along. it's been years since I had proper tests.

well my fault. should have been pitching a holy fit but I let home situation dictate how often and when I got care.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's not about what they will say for you to do - or that you "don't want to" as it comes down to being exposed to a broader look at all this and then determining the best course of action, AFTER some good homework is done.

Please don't let them fool you. First, get to know all about cholesterol. It's not exactly how they portray it.

And, still, there are also many ways that we can manage the fats / lipids without Rx that have so many very bad side-effects and can go beyond just side-effects to damage.

Study the writings of Stephen Sinatra, MD for as start.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Your sense of not "wanting to" may stem from intuition. Here are some solid reasons for a decision as to if you stick with the way the medical system has decided you should be in lock step with them

or if there is a different course you can take. There's still decisive action, it's just from a different perspective.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/02/10/5-reasons-why-you-should-not-take-statins.aspx

5 Great Reasons Why You Should Not Take Statins

By Dr. Mercola - February 10, 2016

Story at-a-glance

* There is evidence showing that statins may actually make your heart health worse and only appear effective due to statistical deception

* Statins deplete your body of CoQ10, inhibit synthesis of vitamin K2, and reduce the production of ketone bodies

* Statins increase your risk of serious diseases including cancer, diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases, musculoskeletal disorders and cataracts

- Full article at link above.

http://www.anh-usa.org/natural-health-news-briefs-september-29-2015-3/

Do Statins Age You Faster?—New Study

By ANH-USA - September 29, 2015

A recently published study in the American Journal of Physiology has shown that statins, anti-cholesterol drugs, are disrupting our stem cells.

Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that have the ability to create different kinds of cells (such as skin, muscle, or bone cells).

They are central to the body’s ability to heal itself and also seem to be involved in the body’s aging process.

Dr. Reza Izadpanah, a stem cell biologist at Tulane and the lead author of the study, was quoted as saying,

"Our study shows statins may speed up the aging process. People who use statins as a preventive medicine for heath should think again, as our research shows they may have general unwanted effects on the body which could include muscle pain, nerve problems, and joint problems [as well]."

Even after a only a few weeks on statins, many patients begin feeling years older.

Patients experience memory loss, muscle pain, diabetes, cataracts, liver dysfunction, diabetes, and fatigue. . . .

http://www.anh-usa.org/the-grave-dangers-of-statin-drugs-and-the-surprising-benefits-of-cholesterol/

The Grave Dangers of Statin Drugs—and the Surprising Benefits of Cholesterol

By anh-usa on July 14, 2015
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's more about the SOURCE for any fat we consume, too. No processed vegetables oils, no trans fats, no "old" fats such as with roasted nuts (unless you roast them at home right before consuming) . . . .

Go for lots of veggies, of course yet as for rounding out good sourced cold pressed seed or nut oils / or olive oils, go for animal muscle meats / fats, that are from ONLY organic grass-feed, pastured animals - avoid all factory meats . . . .

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/882564?src=soc_tw_160817-pm_mscpedt_news_neuro&faf=1#vp_1

Saturated Fats and CVD: AHA Convicts, We Say Acquit

Nina Teicholz; Eric Thorn, MD

July 12, 2017

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/an-unconventional-cardiologist-promotes-a-high-fat-diet/?hpw&rref=health&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well &WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

An Unconventional Cardiologist Promotes a High-Fat Diet

Dr. Aseem Malhotra - 2016
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This WONDERFUL documentary just came out. I saw it on NetFlix but it's at many streaming vendors, including Amazon.

This is amazing and truly enjoyable to watch, I think. Now, they will reference a KETOGENIC Diet yet it's adapted a bit. And, even with Ketogenic, one doctor suggests, a MILD approach can change things.

This is NOT, not, not the Atkins approach. That had some real problems with it. So just to get that out of the way.

It also references in the credits PALEO, similar to Ketogenic and easier, some will say. And that's easier than one might think. Even some dark fruits will work with either.

Two main points of the film, for you right now, though:

1. Packaged foods, processed foods - very often - are not really "food" and can clobber us. There are some exceptions, of course just be sure to read all ingredients and know how they work in your body. And the glycemic index is of great importance for processed boxed foods.

2. attention to the KINDS / SOURCES of fats used. High fat / low carbohydrate (though this will still have LOTS of vegetables) can be the "magic pill" for many.

This film has done the best job of sharing information than many I've seen.

Yet, you can find your own balance and what works for you regarding the food groups

For those with fatty liver issues, IMO, more leafy greens & key veggies are vital to help balance the degree of even the good fats. This might take it out of the ketogenic range and more into Paleo. But strict "rules" are not always the best.

A healthful food plan is flexible within the basic construct of good sources and lots of color.

I think you will enjoy each of the people we follow through this. The are all delights.

I hope you can stream it today - and I hope you enjoy watching it. It gives such hope even if you might go in phases or select a similar path, some of the detail here is very solid, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GitUC_678

THE MAGIC PILL - trailer
-

[ 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think 231 is that bad. The LDL is concerning, but there's not a whole lot you can do about it aside from a change in diet.

Cholesterol is not the marker some doctors think it is.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never touch a statin.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Told you I was sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Told you I was sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just throwing my two cents into the ring: randibear, Keebler is right. Dr. Stephen Sinatra’s information on statins and cholesterol is a good resource. Also, The Magic Pill documentary is a must see! I hope that you are able to watch it in the near future.

Best to you,
Told you...

Posts: 315 | From Negative (-) to positive (+) | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Dr Sinatra (a cardiologist) recommendation. His book The Great Cholesterol Myth.

231 isn’t bad at all. Too low is more of a problem from what I’ve read. .

Dr. Sinatra doesn’t prescribe statins for women and only for men in certain circumstances (previous heart attacks etc).

Agree about keto. I know I couldn’t have recovered from Lyme/coinfections if I ate grains and sugars.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement