LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » can lyme cause aphasia and bug crawling phenomenon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can lyme cause aphasia and bug crawling phenomenon?
kevin1983
Member # 51489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevin1983   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious if there's any proof out there if neuro lyme can cause this because my thought process seems to coincide with this speech defect since my mind is always empty plus I've been slurring words on more recent occasions and I keep getting those common creepy crawling sensations which seems like bugs are roaming underneath your scalp and they'll bring on an itchy reaction afterwards and it's been everywhere like that throughout my head and always seems to deteorate my cognitive abilities but the crawling occurs more at night so would lyme actually attack the side of the brain which controls language production cuz I'm really concerned this is changing into ftd dementia and I can't identify any sources where somebody has possible lyme traits that have progressed into ftd with speech decline because would the damage be physical or could it get reversed if somebody started receiving treatment?
Posts: 81 | From ohio | Registered: Jun 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevin1983
Member # 51489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevin1983   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for bumping this thread again but can lyme hijack your inner monolouge and make you have no inner thoughts like your a mute inside because I do struggle with a lot of major depression on top of this
Posts: 81 | From ohio | Registered: Jun 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Lyme absolutely can and does cause these symptoms.

I specifically get aphasia and all kinds of skin sensations too. Also had slurring and stuttering.

Depression too, along anxiety and other psych symptoms.

Proper treatment does get rid of these issues. The brain will come back.

Also helpful can be detoxing and anti-inflammatory diet, try to support clearing inflamed brain and nerves.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to look up Morgellons. You don’t have to have the fibers and sores to have this.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LymeNet Kevin!

The answer is yes. Lyme, like gz said, can cause all of these symptoms. It is not at all unusual.

Here is a study linking Lyme with aphasia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25728308

Additionally, Morgellons- a set of symptoms linked recently to Lyme disease, can cause the crawling sensations too. You can have the crawling sensations without having Morgellons presentation though.

````````````````````
EDIT HERE- I was busy looking up studies and typing so I just saw Haley's post about Morgellons! Haley is right! Hey Haley!!! Good to see you!

````````````````````
Here is a Morgellon's study mentioning crawling sensations under the skin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21437061

If it wasn't so late I'd look for more studies to show you, but these are at least a start.

And I am NOT recommending this treatment mentioned below, but the study mentions the crawling sensations too...

"There was an improvement of 'crawling' and 'burning' pain sensations, neck and radiating lumbar pain in 9/10 (90%) patients as well as a positive effect on mood, general feeling of health and quality of sleep in 5/10 (50%) patients."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16088158

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a study confirming speech problems and like I said, this is simply a sampling cause I am too tired right now to do much more.

QUOTE- "We report a 41-year-old previously healthy male with an 8-day history of headache, vertigo, nausea, vomiting, and nystagmus. ... On the third day of hospitalization, the diagnosis of OMAS was made based on the presence of chaotic and irregular eye movements, dysarthric speech, gait instability, generalized tremor, and myoclonic jerks."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28652990

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

And yes, a big yes! With proper treatment these symptoms can greatly improve and/or disappear.

As for your 2nd post- yes. It could possibly be a disassociative disorder or something similar. I had experienced them quite often years ago, as have many others.

Here are two studies about Lyme patients, basically suicide and homicide related, and symptoms they had.

These studies have good info on some of the neuro and neuropsychiatric symptoms the Lyme patients experienced.

And as you can see by the titles of these studies, the symptoms made Lyme patients very depressed and unfortunately, beyond.

Just skip the "thick" study related stuff and look at symptoms mentioned.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5851570/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28670127

Hope this helps!

Just know, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, and you are perfectly normal (ok,maybe a little crazy like me), and it will get better! I am POSITIVE it will!!!

Feel better soon!

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

kevin1983
Member # 51489

thanks for all the info but if I have cerebral atrophy from the skull shrinking and causing word repetition like your mind is stuck in a never ending cycle and your thought processes are hay wired then I'm in big trouble correct and this can't be lyme related because I'm fearing of my speech becoming along the primary aphasia component and I'll have total loss of language but I get the visual snow, tinnitus, and crawling sensation at nights, any thoughts?
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please read the link I am providing. It is my favorite. It will not make sense to you UNLESS you have neurological Lyme disease. It is a long read but worth it. Hope it helps.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/36857?#000000

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes. I call them my creepy crawlies. all over my head. also scatch because it feel like I have sand in my hair

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes. I call them my creepy crawlies. all over my head. also scatch because it feel like I have sand in my hair

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SDAR
Member # 51751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SDAR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tincup:
[QB] Here is a study confirming speech problems and like I said, this is simply a sampling cause I am too tired right now to do much more.

QUOTE- "We report a 41-year-old previously healthy male with an 8-day history of headache, vertigo, nausea, vomiting, and nystagmus. ... On the third day of hospitalization, the diagnosis of OMAS was made based on the presence of chaotic and irregular eye movements, dysarthric speech, gait instability, generalized tremor, and myoclonic jerks.

I experienced this 2 years ago and have been treating since Nov 2018 but still have the speech and balance/walking symptoms that have my caused my daily life to be very hard to say the least. Can you offer any hope and help with a few quetions?

I have had most all other symptoms but my speech and feeling off balance and poor gait continues, is this lyme or from Bart or Babs?

I have asked my LLMD if I should go to IV rather than orals but he does not think so, any thoughts would help. I am currently on Bactrim and Amoxicillin with probenicide,, Nystatin,glutothione, Vit C, b12 and some others

Posts: 36 | From NH | Registered: Nov 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement