LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Abx make me feel better but no herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abx make me feel better but no herx
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does it mean if the abx alleviate symptoms but you don't herx? It seems like I would be killing something if abx make me feel better but there should be a herx afterwords.
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's actually a good thing, a better thing when there is no herxheimer reaction. It's best to feel better and I'm really glad to hear of this positive action.

Herxheimer reactions are highly over-rated as a badge of "required" suffering. They are best to avoid, or at least to minimize by certain supportive measures prior to taking medications.

It may be that if you were / are doing supportive methods, they helped your body stay stronger. Could be you just got lucky.

It might be that the doctor was careful in matching the Rx, the dose, the combinations (?) or even just the timing with your particular body at this point in time. All the variables were in your favor.

And, since you are feeling better, there is no doubt, it's a good thing. This does happen for many along the way when the right medicine is finally found / obtained, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terv:
What does it mean if the abx alleviate symptoms but you don't herx? It seems like I would be killing something if abx make me feel better but there should be a herx afterwords.

Antibiotics are anti inflammatory.
Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have mentioned this in first post.

I am on maintenance of 1 week a month. Told LLMD I couldnt take it anymore and needed a break. I gradually started feeling better. But then cognitive issues and fatigue came back and I couldn't stand it anymore and went back on at 10 weeks. Everything improved with no herx

quote:
Does this mean if I took anti-inflamatories my cognitive and fatigue would improve?
Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Good point that many abx are also anti-inflammatory so you could be seeing good results for other good reasons in addition to help against lyme.

To answer your question:

Any efforts that help reduce inflammation safely can help reduce cognitive and physical fatigue.

Anti-inflammatory action, alone, might not be enough with infections are on board but it's a "required" part of any treatment. And it also requires many facets of attention.

Inflammation causes lots - and lots - of trouble for any body.

However, many (most?) of the pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory drugs can have some terrible side effects, starting with damaging the lining of the GI tract / stomach, etc.

NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inf.) can cause leaky gut and that leads to serious damage.

Ibuprofen can be really hard on kidneys; acetaminophen really hard on the liver. Even a normal doses for some people.

An anti-inflammatory diet, clean air, good water - and avoiding things that cause / contribute to inflammation for YOUR body is a good idea, though.

Of course,

soy, corn, gluten and dairy, sugar, processed foods

are the first food groups to consider avoiding but also those that contain too many oxalates (certain vegetables) and lectins (mostly in grains, beans).

Lectins - search that term at YouTube with "Paul Mason"

Oxalates - search at YouTube with "Elliot Overton"

You might also need to avoid Histamines and Salicylates. (sp?)

You might need to assess your foods, even if "good" for any that might cause your particular body trouble.

Canola oil and the like: Seed / Vegetable oils, too, are very toxic and cause terrible inflammation. At YouTube, search "Nina Teicholz" + "Vegetable Oils"

Certain herbs can be excellent help also with other proactive measures.

. Berberine is one that comes to mind and is fairly easy to take. It really helps me a lot regarding many symptoms, especially inflammation.

OLE is also helpful for many folks.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT – LINKS

If you are on a treatment plan, be sure to consult with your LLMD first, before taking any supplements. And discuss with them "ways they might address ______ "
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only had one severe reaction from a change in my antibiotic routine and that was with the start of Cefdanir. I had unbearable nerve pain in the pads of my fingers and nerve pains shooting up my arms for a day or so and then I added in a high dose ALA called Alamax. I have never felt a true herx reaction like my daughter did.

I did just have all of my meds changed in the last couple of weeks and have been super emotional and weepy since adding Rifampin. I just realized today that it could be from the change and could technically be a herx so I just calmed down and took my anti anxiety medicine. I refuse to suffer if I don't have to.

So far, I'm in the 10 percent category of just feeling better. I'm not taking it for granted and know that could change. For today, I'm thankful for the small things.

Trigeminal Neuralgia is kicking my butt and I don't know that my Lyme didn't cause it. I don't know that I could stand having a herx reaction on top of this horrible facial pain.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terv:

quote:
Does this mean if I took anti-inflamatories my cognitive and fatigue would improve?
Inflammation is part of the immune systems response to the infection. Any anti inflammatory powerful enough to make you feel better, would probably make your condition worse in time.

The exception being antibiotics.

Posts: 146 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement