LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cost of treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cost of treatment
marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing hundreds of thousands of dollars for treatment over years. How can we afford this. How do you start treatment and not be able to finish it
Posts: 509 | From southern new jersey | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a doctor who will do the basics. It didn't cost me that much, but I was lucky.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
South Park (TV show on Comedy Central) did a parody on AIDS a few years back.

The 2 boys were infected with AIDS but no one could cure them. So they contacted Magic Johnson (ex NBA player who also had AIDS) and asked Magic how he cured himself.

https://southpark.cc.com/clips/164373/they-found-a-cure-for-aids

The cure is you have to inject yourself with large amounts of cash. In other words, if you don't have a large amount of cash, you will suffer because you can't afford to get treated.

AIDS was denied by our government for YEARS.
Lyme Disease has been denied by our government for years too.

Personally, I am now out of cash and treating myself.
Research how the top LLMD'S are treating (Connie Straheim's books are an EXCELLANT source) and do what you can to get the meds. Herbal meds by Dr Zang are available on-line. And a lot of the top LLMD'S sell their products on-line too. Ask your other doctors for CBC panels to moniter your liver.

Lyme Disease and co-infections are all about navigating the Wild Wild West of medicine, unfortunately.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many are treating with Buhner herbs, which are pretty cheap. I suggest you get ahold of one of his books - used copies are cheap - and join an online Buhner support group.

Also, a woman started a foundation to give out 4K to people who need the financial help. She's listed on Lymedisease.org in the Touched by Lyme blog.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get a doctor to run lab work if you take herbs? Thanks for all the information.
Posts: 509 | From southern new jersey | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are like most Lyme patients, we have a boatload of doctors, rheumotogist, neurologists, obgyn, endocrinologist, pain, Psychiartrist, orthopedic, urologist, Dermotologist, immunologist, ect.

Any one of these doctors will order a complete CBC blood panel annually if you are their patient.

Schedule your appointments spaced out so you will be monitored. You can be honest and tell them you are self-treating (only if they're Lyme friendly) or you can tell them that you take your health a first priority.

If you have no luck with main-stream doctors, you can order your own tests through Quest, But then you will have to pay out-of-pocket and most of us simply don't have the money.

https://questdirect.questdiagnostics.com/products

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to add a little to this issue of cost of treatment. I took antibiotics for 5 years, then they stopped working. So I am treating inflammation with strong anti-inflammatory supplements.

For example, turmeric powder, which I get for a couple of bucks at the health food store, is keeping my inflam sx at bay in my joints and muscles, and I guess the entire bod. I dip empty 00-size capsules in the powder, take one in the am and pm.

I drink mangosteen juice to stop all Lyme inflam sx.

Just a couple examples of supplements we can take to get our sx down to a manageable functional level.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also go herbs.

Buhner is a great start - much superior to antibiotics, in HIS opinion (and mine). No comparison in terms of depth and efficiency.

If you'd like to run blood exams, just ask your family doctor. But most of the exams show little about the actual condition of the body.

Many people self treat. I guess start with herbs, then control your diet (high quality, raw foods, etc).

Even people who have enough money won't get better if they don't do other things such as better diets, non allergenic foods, lower electrosmog, some physical exercise, sauna etc...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindadanis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindadanis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do herbs work better than antibiotics? I am wondering if I should go that route, I have constant ibs and dizziness/balance issues and am having a hard time taking abx.
thanks for any input on this subject.

Posts: 468 | From boston, ma | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindadanis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindadanis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also should of mentioned, I have neuro lyme so does the herbal protocol work on this? I mentioned them to my llmd and she said they probably wouldn't do anything.
Posts: 468 | From boston, ma | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: so does the herbal protocol work on (neurolyme)?"

there is no single "herbal protocol" . . .

Just about everyone who has lyme has neurolyme. Very few ever have it just in joints. It doesn't just stay in one place in the body.

First, you might get all of the books about lyme and tick-borne infections by Stephen H. Buhner. Links are here, too, for his work and many others:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy);

D.C. (Doctor of Chiropractic);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Be aware that integrative doctors can have various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps just a short course rather than long-term training. You want someone with a deep knowledge of the discipline and also of lyme / TBD.

. Do ask first. Some have learned on their own from experts in the field. There are many ways to acquire knowledge and most are eager to share basic details about their training.

Some of the specialities above may not actually treat lyme yet, for things such as physical adjustments, it is just good that they are also LL, at least to some degree (to know never to suddenly twist the neck or spine).

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches. And use the links to also connect to more recent works by doctors, authors and presenters.

Of course, not every person with lyme / TBD (tick borne disease) or other chronic stealth infections that often travel with lyme - or as complicated - such as mycoplasma, Cpn (chlamydia peumonia) and the similar . . .

well, sadly, of course in our world due to the chain of events, most really can't afford to secure a LLMD or LL ND. However, there is still plenty we can do for ourselves.

Yes, it's best if we can find a good LL doctor who will be a good fit, who has expertise, experience, knowledge, wisdom and courage . . . still, we can find what they've written, watch some of their videos . . . we can check out other ways that might work, too . . .

or at least start with what helps as we work though all this.

First: liver support, take good care of ourselves, etc.

I do wish we could all find a good doctor to guide us along this path. Yet, I do hope the links above offer at least some things to consider.
-

[ 10-20-2019, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl2.0
Member # 51843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl2.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After spending thousands of dollars on treatment, western and alternative, each one got me a little bit better but this one wiped it out. If I had it to do over again I would have done EM first. I guess I had to walk the road of what I thought was best to find out that it wasn't going to work for me (abx).

EM, eminusmirus.com

--------------------
Remember to keep an open mind

Posts: 80 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindadanis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51204

what is em? please explain if you can.
thanks

Catgirl2.0
Member # 51843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl2.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EM is energy medicine. It bridges the gap between eastern and western medicine and works really well even with western medicine. I never in a million years thought I'd try something like it, in fact one of my practitioners tried for two years to get me to try it (I thought it was a load of crap, lol).

EM is distance healing that utilizes universal Qi. It is also known to be able to heal people from lyme (those lucky enough to have found it). I found it to be amazing, still do. No in patient visits, energy is just sent. Most people don't feel it, but they start to heal slowly as hit gets rid of stuff in the body that shouldn't be there, and balances it out so the body has a chance to do come back. It's all done with energy. It's sort of like acupuncture but without the needles.

One day I felt the best I felt in 30 years so I decided to start learning it myself. Anyone can learn it. It takes time and money to purchase, but I wanted the ability to work on myself, friends and family. I'm really glad I took the step to even try it, and practice it. Immensely glad! You can find it at: eminusmirus.com

--------------------
Remember to keep an open mind

Posts: 80 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement