LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hearing loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hearing loss
BW2019
Member # 52041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BW2019     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, just wondering if you any of you guys may have gone through something similar as what I am dealing with now.
I have been treating for Lyme and co since 2010. Haven’t been able to stop treatment but have Made huge progress to the point where I didn’t even think about lime on a daily basis

. I have had four kids in the meantime. My youngest was born in April. Fast forward to July. Got rebitten. Had a few horrible weeks but my LLMD really has done great at pulling me mostly out of it. Not back to my baseline yet but for the most part, things have been moving in the right direction.

however, this summer I started having hyperacusis in right ear. I mentioned it to my LLMD and she seem to think it was odd but we didn’t focus too much on it. Anyways, it went away for a while and recently started coming back. In addition, I had a really bad cold about two weeks ago. My right ear has felt super stuffy since then. Also feel like I can’t hear.

Went to ENT on Thursday and they said that my “ Cells in right ear are not as robust as cells and left ear.“ Also, they said that I have mild hearing loss in that year and that it was probably a result of the virus from the cold which I don’t believe I’m sure it is Lyme and coal but that it may or may not come back.

They also prescribed steroids and said I could take them for two weeks but even with those it may or may not come back. LOL MD said I could go ahead and take them but I have felt awful on them for the past day and a half.

The same happalso, they said that I have mild hearing loss in that ear and that it was probably a result of the virus from the cold which I don’t believe I’m sure it is lime and Cole but that it may or may not come back.

They also prescribe steroids and said I could take them for two weeks but even with those it may or may not come back. LLMD said I could go ahead and take them but I have felt awful on them for the past day and a half. The same thing happened to me when I had a cold a couple months ago but hearing returned in few days.

In addition to not being able to hear now I also have hyperacusis at times in that same here which I know sounds very contradictory.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I had four kids in three years and was on azithromycin throughout all of my pregnancies and I know that that can be autotoxic but I never had any symptoms while on that drug and the hearing stuff did not start until about four months after I was off of azithromycin for the last time.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 11-03-2019, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 12 | From Boston | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm sorry you are going through all this. So glad to hear of your family, though.

I don't have the energy to explain why I post these or specifics, yet I hope you can browse through to find relevant posts.

I'm so sorry to hear they gave you steroids. Did your LLMD approve? Most LLMDs would not - though, unless you are protected in other ways.

Steroids can make infections worse and create immune issues.

if there is any way to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor) I hope you can for they may know of some things that would help offset potential steroid damage and help your ears, too.

Liver support is key to the ears.

Avoid all "vegetable" and seed oils is vital, too. I can't post why right now but I've been studying this for months. They can cause brain tissue damage, nerve damage. A links set below.

Good luck. and take care.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BW2019
Member # 52041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BW2019     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, LLMD who worked hand in hand with THE Dr. K for years has approved. But, I’m chickening out.
Posts: 12 | From Boston | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are better ways to address inflammation. Much better and safer ways. Avoiding all gluten and dairy is a start, in case you've not yet done that.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to those with lyme? Risks, long term damage discussed. Links.

And why BIOLOGICS that also dampen immune function can also be just as damaging if infections are not being properly identified & thorough addressed.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too. Anti-inflammation, too.

you might get more replies by breaking up your post. Tight text is hard for many with lyme to read. I tried to sort out some of your key points in my replies. Hope they help.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BW2019
Member # 52041

Did anyone on here go through anything similar and it worked out?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I just re-watched these today and all videos relate in ways I can't explain concisely but the speakers are better at communicating than am I.

INFLAMMATION - resonates through each of these. Getting inflammation down, avoiding at least some of the factors when we know what to look for, can help with immune issues, comfort, etc.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/38357?#000000

Topic: "Vegetable" / Seed Oils: Danger & Damage. Teicholz et al

Lectins can cause nerve damage . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQZCCiV6iA

Dr. Paul Mason - 'How lectins impact your health - from obesity to autoimmune disease'

Meat can help heal the brain / nerve fibers . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7H9xeMYME

The Brain Needs Meat - Dr. Georgia Ede 2019
-

[ 11-04-2019, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

BW2019
Member # 52041

Thank you Keebler🙂!
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Wow. That was quick. Hope something here helps. Nourishing your body is the best defense right now . . . in addition to limiting Ototoxic substances (where possible).

In place of antibiotics, you might search work by

Stephen H. Buhner, a master herbalist. Website, books, etc.

I find andrographis to be especially helpful with my hyperacusis.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://hearinglosshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tinnitusdruglist2013.pdf

Prescription Medications, Over-the-Counter Drugs, Herbs & Chemicals Associated with Tinnitus

2013 Edition - 30 pages - Compiled by Neil G. Bauman, Ph.D.

Still, his 3rd edition of Ototoxic Drugs is best to have for a fuller set. So much just cannot be found via the web. Book:

http://hearinglosshelp.com/shop/ototoxic-drugs-exposed/

Ototoxic Drugs Exposed (3rd edition)

The Shocking Truth About Prescription Drugs, Medications, Chemicals and Herbals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

By Neil Bauman, Ph.D.

. . . detailed listings of the ear-damaging side effects of 877 drugs, 35 herbals and 148 chemicals (798 pages).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to wear ear plugs when you run the blender, vacuum, hair dryer, etc. Try not to be around those things, though, if you can help it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS & SCD - Superior canal dehiscence
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And, oh, my, OXALATES can cause damage to nerve fibers, too.

Avoid spinach for the oxalates and almonds for the lectins. For starters, as you read more.

Search Google: "Susan Owens" "Trying Low Oxalate" Facebook group

Search YouTube for:

"Elliot Overton" "EONutrition" OXALATES

"Sally K. Norton" "Oxalates"
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steroids are not a good idea for us.

I found PEMF treatment to be helpful for my ears. I had ringing in the ears. Holding a coil emitting magnetic pulses for a little while helped quiet the ear ringing down. An LLMD said it quieted down the nerves to the ears. So who knows if it might help other ear issues.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BW2019 I am sorry for what you have been going through. I had sudden hearing loss my left ear in 2011 and quickly developed hyperacusis and tinnitus following that hearing loss. It was almost a year later that we figured out I had lyme disease and we don't know for sure, but it likely was related to my hearing loss.

Your doc actually did the right thing, prescribing steroids immediately - because with this type of hearing loss, the steroids can sometimes reverse the damage. This didn't work for me, but I know of others that were helped by this. I know the use of steroids is very controversial with Lyme disease, but sometimes you have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks and make the best decision for you.

I began treating with ABX when we learned I had lyme. When I was on zithromax, and exposed to loud music at my daughter's wedding, I lost more hearing in that ear, unfortunately. We think the combination of this drug and the noise exposure were a lethal combination for me. So it is possible, in your case, that the antibiotics contributed to your hearing loss. But you will never know for sure.

As Keebler suggests, avoiding exposure to loud sounds, anti-inflammatory diet, and treating lyme and co. may all help to reverse some of that damage to your ears. The hyperacusis will likely improve over time. Hyperbaric oxygen has also helped some. I recently tried it and liked how it made my ears feel (after we reached the pressure we needed to), so it is something I will probably try again. I know of some whose hearing improved after being treated for lyme. Acupuncture and gentle yoga have both provided some relief for me with the tinnitus and hyperacusis, but neither brought my hearing back.

It is not easy when lyme affects your ears. I hope you get some relief and over time, some of your symptoms improve.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement