LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thyroid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thyroid
BW2019
Member # 52041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BW2019     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

These are my thyroid tests results. Please help!!

Low t4 at .63 ( range .82-1.77)
Low tsh at .046 ( range .45-4.5)
Low reverse t3 at 6.4 (range 9.2-24.1)
Normal t3 at 151 ( range 71-180)
Normal free t3 at 3.5 ( range 2-4.4)

My LLMD appointment isn’t until Thursday. If someone could help explain, I’d appreciate!! Thanks!

Posts: 12 | From Boston | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 52095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hard to help without context:

what thyroid condition have you been diagnosed with?

are you taking thyroid medication?

do you still have a thyroid gland - or have you had thyroid surgery/ablation?

your results suggest you are taking a mostly T3 based medication (desiccated animal thyroid or T3 or T3/T4 mix) but that is just a guess based on the relatively high T3 and low T4 and TSH

Posts: 245 | From UK | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BW2019
Member # 52041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BW2019     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid.

Yes, I am taking medication. My daughter recently changed.

Right now, I take

IC Lyothronine Sod 5 mcg tab ( 2 in morning, 2 in afternoon)
AE Thy.Ext.113.75 mg SR cap (1 in morning)

I have just copied down wihat the two bottles of prescriptions say on the front. I got my lab results and my appointment is not until Thursday. any feedback and helping me understand this would be much appreciated.

Posts: 12 | From Boston | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BW2019
Member # 52041

Also, yes, I still have a thyroid gland I am now, I have not had any surgeries.
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn’t directly connected to test results interpretation but recently I read that fatigue is the most common lyme symptom. So if you are tired, that is common. What has body temp been? Do you have an LLMD or someone who might be able to connect your symptoms, or not, to a lyme treatment?

Early on with lyme I had a very low body temp and was given T3 for nine months and this was around 2010. Of course I was perpetually tired.

From Dr. K. in 2006: “Filling up the body’s mineral reserves has always been the most essential part of our heavy metal detox program. It is also the most essential part of
our Lyme treatment.”

I had some Lugol’s iodine by J. Crow in the basement. A couple of days ago I used a single drop on my wrist and it did help with fatigue. There has been a swelling around my right ear for a long time that I cannot get rid of so today I put a drop of Lugol’s directly on that area. That application did effect my balance, which has been off for a long time, and it almost put me to sleep. The swelling has gone down but I regard this as an experiment in the early stage.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 52095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK ref the medications that pretty much explains the results

the IC Lyothronine Sod 5 mcg tab is pure T3 prescription medicine

this dose will raise most peoples T3 to something like the normal range ( although response to T3 is highly variable - as its a complex condition)

the other medication is likely some form of animal thyroid extract - but without knowing which one is hard to say what exactly is in it in terms of which and how much thyroid hormones.

if its something like the most common one Armour Thyroid - its just freeze dried animal thyroid. these have more T3 vs T4 than human native thyroid - so would also tend cause the result in humans to be to raise T3 more than T4.

combining the two would tend to give relatively high T3 vs T4 compared to normal human thyroid hormones as measured in people without thyroid disease. which is what we see in the results you posted.

the relatively high T3 is suppressing TSH a little more than normal - but that is expected as T3 is more active than T4 at this.

your reverse T3 is also low because the body is not converting as much T4 to T3 and reverse T3 - because there is less T4 about - due to the low T4 supplementation strategy.

this may all be as intended by your endocrinologist/doctor - so although it does not perfectly mimic the normal human range in healthy people - many doctors feel their patients do better on mostly T3 supplementation - others better on a balance of T3 and T4 combined - and there is a lot of trial and error involved due to the highly individual and variable responses to treatment.

overall I do not see anything there as a cause for great concern. There are very few good endocrinologists out there and the fact that you have one who is willing to treat you with T3 and natural thyroid products is a big plus as in many countries these options are hard to access.

I would just learn as much as you can about the thyroid system functioning so you can enter into an informed discussion of the merits and consequences of treatment decisions with your care provider as its likely something that will affect your quality of life - for the rest of your life.

lookup Dr. Westin Childs for some of the best resources on how it works(I have no affiliation but find his freely provided information about the most useful I have come across).

Posts: 245 | From UK | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BW2019
Member # 52041

Thank you!!!
Rivendell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think tsh is read backwards. The lower the tsh number, the higher the thyroid level. The higher the tsh number, the lower the thyroid level.

Don't know how to interpret the rest.

--------------------
Herbal Treatments for Lyme and Co-Infections:
http://buhnerhealinglyme.com
http://www.tiredoflyme.com/the-cowden-protocol-for-lyme-disease.html http://www.sinomedresearch.org http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement