LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme herbs and drinking alcohol?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme herbs and drinking alcohol?
Kameron
Member # 52325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any thoughts on drinking alcohol while taking various herbs like Cat's Claw, Japanese Knotweed, Andrographis, etc?

The reason I ask is because it seems most of these herbs thin the blood, and if you're taking several herbs at a time, which I assume most people are who are trying to treat their Lyme with herbs, it would seem the blood would be pretty thin. Of course, I have heard that most herbs are mild blood thinners only, and not having such a strong effect like an actual blood thinning pharmaceutical medication would, but anyway, do you think it's safe to drink occasionally while taking a combination of herbs being that alcohol is also a blood thinner?

--------------------
Kameron Williams

Posts: 3 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as possibly thinning the blood more, I would think the difference would be minimal.

Some herbs interact negatively with alcohol .. so check that part.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 52095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many herbalists including Buhner often prefer tinctures - so there is significant alcohol in those already if taking the kind of extensive lyme protocols he advises.
so i think that demonstrates the interaction is minimal

still with Lyme or any inflammatory condition I would be wary of drinking much alcohol as it all adds to the inflammation problem - and causes more load on your liver - which generally in these conditions is already struggling.

a glass of wine once in a while socially will be fine

but getting hammered or just using alcohol regularly to dull your senses as an escape - not good idea.

Posts: 245 | From UK | Registered: Feb 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenelopeWatson
Member # 52384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenelopeWatson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check that with a doctor. Your body might act completely different than the others could.
I was taking some pills for my stomach and decided to grab a drink with one of my old friends. The worst decision ever. I was puking all night long afterward and got a massive intoxication. My doctor said that I am an idiot.

**edited per LN rules**

[ 07-26-2021, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Watson

Posts: 4 | From PenelopeWatson | Registered: Jun 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My system made the decision for me. I don't enjoy alcoholic beverages anymore, and I don't feel better after drinking even a little bit. One sip and I'm done.

I always assumed LD is involved, and others have the same experience.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ditercuter
Member # 52561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ditercuter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The effect of alcohol is that only the first stage dilutes the blood. Hence there is a feeling of lightness and even euphoria. But the next day, the blood becomes twice as thick as it was after drinking alcohol. This stage is well known to many as the hangover syndrome. Therefore, the use of alcohol as a medicine is very doubtful. I was an alcoholic for a long time despite my medical education. It's easy to get bogged down in this swamp, but it's not easy to get out of it. Now I'm a volunteer of the sober support network , and I've been on the hook for a year. My advice is not to hope that alcohol will act on you as a medicine.

[ 04-18-2022, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Ditercuter ]

Posts: 1 | From London | Registered: Apr 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awflashes
Member # 52785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awflashes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, mixing alcohol and herbs is kind of a tricky thing. I'm no expert, but I think it's probably better to play it safe. I had an aunt who was into herbal remedies, and she always avoided alcohol when she was on any kind of herb, especially if they were known to thin the blood. Her thought was better safe than sorry, you know?

Actually, this reminds me, I've been getting into growing herbs myself lately. I started with purple basil – did you know it's not just for cooking? There's some cool benefits of purple basil like it being rich in antioxidants and good for digestion. https://reconnectivehealingpractitioners.com/medicinal-herbs/10-benefits-of-purple-basil/ might be a healthier option if you're looking to skip the drinks while on your herbal routine.

[ 01-08-2024, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: awflashes ]

Posts: 7 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kameron - welcome to Lymenet!

Btw - I know you are new to Lymenet, but please break up your posts into 2-3 sentence paragraphs, as there are people on Lymenet who cannot read large blocks of text due to neurological problems from Lyme.

To do this click the "Edit Post" tab, make your changes, then click "Edit Post". Thanks.

Also you should not use your real name, because this is a public forum with all sorts of people on it. Read this link about it:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011844;p=0

To remove your name from the signature line, click on "Edit Profile" under Lymenet Flash in the top middle section of the Lymenet page.

Click on "Edit Profile" on the left-hand side, scroll down to "Profile Fields" then down to "Signature". Make your changes, then click "Update Profile".

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Austin Pierce
Member # 52676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Austin Pierce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combining alcohol with herbs, especially those with potential blood-thinning effects, can have varying effects on individuals. Cat's Claw, Japanese Knotweed, and Andrographis are commonly used for various health purposes, and they may have mild blood-thinning properties. Alcohol also has blood-thinning effects.

When considering combining these substances, it's crucial to be aware of the potential cumulative effects on blood thinning, especially if you are also consuming London broil slow cooker recipes that may contain ingredients affecting blood coagulation. Excessive thinning of the blood may increase the risk of bleeding or bruising. Additionally, interactions between herbs and alcohol can vary from person to person. It's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating these elements into your diet, especially if you are on medication or have pre-existing health conditions.

[ 01-24-2024, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Austin Pierce ]

Posts: 2 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2023  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement