LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any Athletes Out There?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Athletes Out There?
irongirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with lyme about a month ago and am ending my fourth week on doxy shortly.
I believe that I have late stage, since I've been feeling the same lousy way for five years with no answer til now.

I have been an endurance athlete for the last 14 years. I have heard conflicting information on whether to train (exercise) or not during treatment. My doc said exercise was fine (even thougth some days I can hardly get out of bed).

I would like to continue to train and race to keep on top of my fitness and lifestyle, but do not want to hamper my recovery from LD....so I can get stronger and kick butt in the future.

Any athletes out there have info or experience with this?

Posts: 140 | From PA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abxme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abxme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irongirl,

I don't know how intensive your training is. I found that a concentrated exercise regimen was extremely beneficial to me on my recovery. Now that mihgt not be the case for everyone. I was hiking for 1-3 hours daily when I was initially diagnosed. The days that I took off I could notice that I would feel worse. Extended cardio I feel was invaluable in destagnating the blood, removing toxins and just general overall wellbeing. For those 1-3 hours I knew that most of the pain associated with lyme would go away. But the most important thing is to listen to your body and know your limitations. Pushing your limits could have adverse effects.

Posts: 124 | From Cleveland, OH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what kind of exercise have you been doing for the past year? Do you still train 5 - 6 days a week? Has it helped or slowed your progress?
robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked out 4-5 days a week until about 5 months ago. I get too dizzy. Every once in a while I'll go work out a few days and the I start feeling bad and I'll miss two weeks and so on.

I hate it! I love working out and staying in shape and when I can't do it I feel all gross.

I worked out last week and I pulled my back. I guess it hit it too hard after not working out for a while. Now I feel "good" but my back is all jacked up.

I can't win.

Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too feel I have had Lyme for years and did not know it. I used to run 4 miles a day 6 days a week.

It was about 6-7 yrs ago, it almost seemed like it happened over night, I just couldn't do it anymore. I would get extremely tired about a half way through my run and after about 3 months of this I would get extrememly painful shin splints to the point I couldn't walk.

I gave up running then, have a gut to show for it now. In hindsight I should of looked for more explainations of why this was happening. I just thought I was getting old.

I have had minor symptoms for the last 7 yrs. It wasn't until last Nov that I got bad enough symptoms to associate the symptoms with Lyme.

Recently I have been walking about an hour a day at a brisk pace. Lost a little weight feel a little better its good for my dog as well.

Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello
Member # 5125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question.
Lyme for 14 years. Running all my life. Marathon training in college, fun run was 16 plus miles. It is the only time I feel normal. Exercise has been the only relief in my llfe. This is in light of the fact that I was in a wheelchair and/or could not walk and had to crawl or pull myself around for months. Now, back to running about 40 miles a week. I just push through the pain (supplement with Epsom salt baths). This disease has taken eveything from me-it will not take my love of exercise or drive. Keep training...

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey hello - I loved your post..my sentiments exactly. i run through pain, but sometimes it does stop me dead in my run..what hurts on you when you run, if you don't mind me asking?
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katclimber
Member # 5604

Icon 14 posted      Profile for katclimber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lyme for almost three years, and due to joint pain, cannot run anymore.

However, I find that because I have a lot of neuro-muscular problems, that there is nothing like moderate exercise (low impact like walking or stairclimber) then COMBINED WITH stretching and/or yoga to make me feel SOOOO much better after a long day.

If you have muscle aches, the stretching is critical and some of the yoga postures are so relieving for back and neck pain.

Everytime I exercise, I also have to do about 10 minutes of general stretching or else my muscles will make me regret it for days... so I strongly urge that as well.

I think exercise is fundamental... but it is also essential not to push your body too hard -- your body is working hard enough as it is fighting off the little monsters without getting stressed out by rigorous exercise.

Just my humble opinion.
Karyn

Posts: 25 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runner21
Member # 1974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runner21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi iron girl
your post hit home with me. i have been an athlete all my life. i did gymnastics and ballet from age 5 and in college i ran 70 miles a week. When i got sick, it hit me overnight, and i could barely run......I am 23, and i have been sick for 2 1/2 years. i have tried running a fewt iems but it has only set me back. I hike , bike , walk anywhere from 35-50 minutes......usualy around 40 minutes though. it seems wheni go past 45 im wiped for a couple of hours. I have 3rd stage adrenal failure and i think it has something to do with running so much....i was literally addicted and wheni was bedridden it was so bad. i went through a really tough period......but my inner will gave me strengh and God above gave me the sense to know that i can run agin, but i have to heal first. i have mercury, and when you have fatiuge, especially if you are younhg, please investigate the possiblity of mercury, it feeds lyme, and once you are exposed to the bug, many things surfact that never were a problem.
i commend the peoople that can run through this illness. there isno way for me without doing further damage right now, i but i hope to be running ina year or so.........
for right now i do things that will strengthen my cardiovascualr system so that when i can run again its easier. its so frustrating, especially when i moved up a size, i can hardly stand it!!!! Not to mention what good therapy running truly is...and only those who experience it can really take it in and understand. you will get there.....patientce.
runner

Posts: 1118 | From jacksonville,fl usa/santa rosa ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did this pop up?? I used to talk to Irongirl since I was a triathlete too, then one day she just disapeared. Look at the date on the original post.

She is a professional triathlete and emailed me once after disapearing from the board I replied that I was just starting a bad relapse (this current one) and never heard back from her.

I am currently starting to train again a bit. I am teaching karate again, only one hour once a week, and am about to go to two hours once a week. But for me that is a lot with all the herxing I am doing.

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement