LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neurological Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neurological Lyme
iontheprize
Member # 4029

Icon 5 posted      Profile for iontheprize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,
First post. I am guy, 27, with a lot of neurological symptoms from lyme. Don't get me started on the physicians (I live in GA fer cryin out loud). After 13 months, its in my eyes, my neck, my ear, my muscles twitch, my nerves tingle. The good news is that the arthritis isn't bad though.

So I want to know. If you are like me - neuro symptom prominent with likely "only" a borrelia infection. What worked for you?
(a) Some think Donta's high-dose tetra regimen (using his name cause it's published) can get to the brain. Did you try it?
(b) How about Biaxin and Flagyl, did you try that?
(c) How about Azithro and Flagyl?
(d) Are we talking months of Rocephin here? Pair it up with the Flagyl maybe.

Please resond only if you had/have prominent neuro symptoms and let me know what has/has not worked for you. (And, oh yeah, I'd love to hear a success story).

Many thanks. Best wishes.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaronkatie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Have you started on any antibiotics? I have all of the neuro symptoms you mention and they are my worst symptoms also, do have the arthritis but it is relatively minor.

I am on iv rocephin and do feel it is being hit - I don't have a success story for you yet, only been on it for 6 weeks - doc says i need atleast 4 months.

But I can tell my double vision is getting better. I know the rocephin is definitely getting to the symptoms and causing herxing, that's supposed to be a good sign. My foggy brain is getting a little better too but the eye pain, ear pain and ringing, and especially nerve pain is still in full force but can be controlled measureably(sp?) with lots of magnesium, b vitamins and topomax.

Good luck to you.

betsy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt waste any time with orals for neuro lyme. When I first got it I was on orals for 6 mos with no improvement. Then I did IV Rocephen and after 6 weeks I was 90% better and able to get off all meds. Everyone is a little different though and you will see for yourself here that what works for one might not work for another.

Best wishes,
DawnE

Posts: 158 | From Great Neck, New York | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrengthToStrength
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrengthToStrength     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on oral Biaxin and doxy for 3 months. I'd say I'm about 80% better neurologically. I no longer wish I were dead. My brain still feels swollen, but not skull-splitting like before.

Going to see if I can add Plaquenil soon.

Posts: 236 | From D.C. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joanie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I, too, have only neurological symptoms (plus fatigue) but none of the arthritis symptoms.

For some reason that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense when I read up on this, I was first tried on suprax (oral antibiotic, now omnicef is the alternative because they don't make suprax in US anymore). It's in the same class as rocephin but apparently doesn't have as good brain penetration as the IV rocephin. For me, it worked about 60% all by itself. The brain fog cleared, the twitching and face pain stopped, my eye had hours of coming back into focus and no longer felt so dry, my eyelids stopped feeling like they weighed 2 tons, and my stamina improved a lot. I went from bedridden for many months to partial functioning within the first month and within 4 months, I was working part-time, living a life, and I even began jogs around the track again!

I was still bothered by the tinnitus. It had improved a lot but was still horribly bothersome, plus I still wanted my vision in my one eye back completely and consistently! Plus, I was still getting more headaches than I was used to getting.

With the discovery of a coinfection of Erlichia, Biaxin was added, and I got rid of Erlichia in 2 months. The biaxin/omnicef combination hit the neurological symptoms harder (I had some pretty rough days again) but overall, although I felt a lot worse, I had days where I felt so much better than before. I felt I was nearing the home stretch. I had a couple of "windows" of being almost symptom-free for hours at a time (mild tinnitus only remaining).

Then the IV rocephin because my doc said it is the "gold standard" for neurological lyme, and I got my hardship case with Roche approved. I also met someone who has the same doctor, and her neurological Lyme completely cleared once she was on the rocephin. It took 4-5 months though, but it really worked for her. My doc says it takes at least 3-5 months for it to work. I was hopeful, but although the first month created bad herxing with breaks where I felt good and tinnitus was going down again, I was one of those unfortunate people with low tolerance to meds and I developed gall bladder problems and HUGE GI problems. So, my advice if you begin the rocephin, is do what everyone on this net says and take good care of your stomach, control yeast, and follow-up with liver and gall bladder tests. I also have learned that it can be very useful to pulse the treatment and not push through continuously. I wish I had been up on all of this when I started!

Now, I'm back on Omnicef and herxing. I will add Biaxin or Xithromax (depending on which I can better handle). And oh yes, Flagyl. I tried it briefly and it really caused a herx, which my doc takes as a good indication. Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach it at the time (still recovering from gut problems related to rocephin), so it's still in my future plans when my gut clears. My doc wants to rotate between biaxin (or xithromax)/omnicef and biaxin (or xithromax)/flagyl.

Hope that is helpful. For me Omnicef/Biaxin was working. Flagyl seems like it may kick it over the top. Rocephin seems to work so well for many people. I just wish I could have tolerated it. Unfortunately, it really set me back. I still have the picc line in with the hope that I may be able to return to it (or the alternative, claforan). By the way, the picc line, once in, isn't as bad as I worried it might be.

My doc says that if you can tolerate the antibiotics, the neurological symptoms WILL go away. I was surprised he was so definitive and not wishy-washy about answering my question wanting assurance I will be cured! Unfortunately, I'm turning out to be one of those people who has a hard time on antibiotics. Again, do all the additional things to tolerate antibiotics, and from what I hear, the prognosis can be excellent!

I certainly wish you the best!

Joanie

Posts: 115 | From Oakland, CA USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
np
Member # 938

Icon 14 posted      Profile for np     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I became ill, severly neurologically ill, 6 years ago in Vermont. They I moved to rural Massachusetts and finally developed a target lesion. Ah ha! A diagnosis; so now we could start treatment. I am a medical clinician, but I had not yet heard of Dr. Donta. My doctor agreed to do the IV Rocephin, although it took 3 grams a day for 8 months to be well enough to function. I was far from symptom free. Then went on to various orals including Biaxin (but not with plaquinal), doxy, zithro, flagyl. I slowly improved and after 5 years of meds, I stopped. Symptoms came back in 4-5 months. Then I became aware of Dr. Donta and his research and treatment suggestions. So I started the Biaxin/plaquenil for 5 months with much more improvement than any of the other meds before. After 3 months, I had several days a month completely symptom free including the fatigue and muscle aching that never went away with the other treatments. After a few weeks feeling good, symptoms started returning while on the Biaxin regimen so we switched to the tetracycline 500mg 3 times a day one month ago and just in the past few days I have once again felt "normal". With each treatment, I herx like crazy for several weeks a month. Over the last 2 years I have treated all my own Lyme patients with this same regimin and have never needed to use IV meds even though most of my patients have been ill for years before they sought care from me. I'm happy to say they are all back to 100% or getting there. It seems to me that Dr Donta's regimen including the alternation between Biaxin/plaq and then tetracycline is effective.Good Luck and be patient.

------------------

Posts: 68 | From washington/oregon | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrengthToStrength
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrengthToStrength     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weigh the benefits vs. side effects of certain antibiotics. Flagyl and IV Roc are not easy on your body.

I was offered IV Roc at first, and declined. I'd like to keep my gall bladder if possible.

Posts: 236 | From D.C. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had all of the neurolyme problems you mention along with cognitive difficulties. I got to where I couldn't learn peoples' names, would substitute words, lost my car in a four square block area an spent an hour looking for it, started grinding teh gears when I drive, started driving slowly.

These started to improve on Azithromycin alone and have continued to improve pretty remarkably with the addition of Bicillin. LabRat had a very similar experience.

Good luck.

David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iontheprize
Member # 4029

Icon 5 posted      Profile for iontheprize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. Thanks to everybody who took time to write a reply to my note on Neurological Lyme.

To answer Betsy's question. I am on week 4 of Rocephin. The only herx I achieved on this Rocephin was after I was off for five days due to a low WBC. The restart sent my temp to 100 with all kinds of fun-ness. Since then, I have that airplane-engine pitched ring in my ears. Luv it.

If it's okay with you, I am thinking we could use this as a little forum for those of us else with prominent Neurological Lyme for a while. That is if you want to participate. I have a few thoughts and some more questions.

Key for us is getting to the brain, and I read that the accomplished researcher Dr. Phillips believes that tetra can be effective and cross the BB barrier at high enough dosages. Tetra is also believed to inhibit cyst formation so maybe it is the complete package. My problem with it is that I think you can't mix it with the Flagyl right? If there are some who have failed with a 2-year 1500-2000 mg/day tetra program then I'd like to hear about it.

NP, you said that you are using Dr. Donta's regimen. Can you elaborate on what you are doing and what kind of results you are seeing? I am most interested. Did you say that you are switching between Biaxin/Plaq and Tetra? Maybe this IV in my arm should take a hike after all.

The lab research has some interesting insight. It seems to say that the Rocephin will often cause the borrelia to go to the cyst form and that Flagyl can be affective against this form, so I am thinking that I would like to try the Flagyl (despite the kind warning of S2S regarding the GI and the gall bladder.) Weird science.

On the GI: My maintenance is probiotics, acidophilus/lactobacillus, yogurt, and lots of oatmeal raisin cookies. I read somewhere that grains in the GI reduce the acidity. A more basic PH is less bacteria-friendly, as I understand it. Let me know your thoughts if you got em. Love the cookies.

Thanks Again. Best wishes. Tim

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joanie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,

I'm happy to use this as a forum to focus on neurological Lyme symptoms. I sure need all the input I can get! I also want to hear as many success or even partial success stories as I can! I hate this stuff in my head!

Joanie

Posts: 115 | From Oakland, CA USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaronkatie
Unregistered

I think a neurological forum is a great idea. My neuro symptoms are in full force today!!! Everything is moving back and forth, i asked my husband if my eyes were moving back and forth but he said no so i guess its my brain - that was a first for me even though i have tons of brain and eye problems.

I am planning to ask my llmd about the cyst form also with the rocephin, i had not heard much about people taking anything for it in combo with rocephin and was wondering about that.

It would be really great if there was a non-IV drug that worked as well or better for neuro-lyme - right now my insurance has cut my coverage off for rocephin so i could definitely use another option that would work.

thanks for starting this thread!
betsy

MsZoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MsZoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neuro symptoms were mostly cognitive - could't repeat a sentence because as soon as I finished saying it the first time I'd forget what I said; completely overwelmed if I had two tasks to do at the same time; unable to focus or organize my thoughts; panic attacks; depression.

The only pain I had was a 2-week long severe headache. Felt like I was wearing an extremely tight ski cap. Was sent for an MRI - nothing, of course.

First treatment was with doxy for 3 months then biaxin/plaq for 3 months. There has been noticible improvement from day 1.

The memory and organization are returning slowly, but steadily. Panic attacks gone, so is depression.

Joint/muscle pains come & go, but neuro is slowly improving.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a ton of reading on the variant form of Lyme.

I even bought Lida Mattman's text reference
book for $125.00, and had to have a medical dictionary on hand, as it's not written for the layman.

It's my personally opinion after reading that book and other bacteria research, that once Lyme morphs and turns into a variant (the proper name for cyst or L-form) most antibiotics will not touch it.
And also in my opinion - once that occurs
some abx does nothing but screw up your GI tract... although in some cases I think the presence of the abx in the tissues keeps
it in variant form (so people do have fewer Lyme symptoms).
But the varant form can also cause symptoms (and if it's in the CNS it's most likely in variant form). Constant inflammation is the variant's side-kick.

Tetracycline in vitro will keep the Lyme Bacteria from BECOMING a variant , but if it's ALREADY a variant (as it is in some people) - I don't think Tetracycline will bust them open. There can be replication
in the varaint form - or it can stay dormant.

I know the most about Plaquenil, because that's what I used (with Doxycycxline) and I have a very high tolerance for it.

Plaquenil at high doses in vitro (the petrie dish) will bust the cyst (high dose is 800 mg). BUT increased ocular pressure
is a side effect, so you have to have that checked if you do that dose. Plaquenil is
also accumulative in the body.

FLagyl has bad side effects too (weakens tendons) so I guess you have to pick your poison..

From reading about the herx, I became convinced that the body needed time to recover from a herx (if it was bad) because
bacterial debrie and the resulting inflammation has to be cleared from the body
or that starts to cause it's own set of problems.

I think everyone has to take a look at their own individual situation (including neurolyme symptoms) - and do what they think is best for them.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - thanks for this post. I'm reading w/ great interest because I'm a poster child for neuro lyme.

Right now, nothing seems to be helping me and I'm really becoming quite depressed over it!

I've been on oral Zith + Flagyl for about 12 weeks. Prior to that it was Zith and Bactrim DS. The list goes one from there and includes 8 months of IV Claforen in 2000 and 6 months of IV Rocephin in 2002, oral amoxy alone and w/ either Zith or Bactrim, Rifampin + BActrim DS, Doxy, and Levaquin (which I can't take due to side effects). Hmmmmmmm - I think the only thing we haven't tried is the Plaquenil/Biaxin!!

I gained the most improvement on the Claforen as it did improve most of my arthritic, upper respiratory, and GI complaints but, the neuro stuff rages on!

Lately I've been experiencing significanat pain in my feet (peripheal neuropathy) w/ all over stinging sensations, itching, numbness, strange eye stuff (probs focusing, dryness, and other bizare things and frequent horrendous headaches + the ever lovely neck grinding and tingling). I'm so frustrated w/ it all. I can't think or remember stuff to save my life and eventhough I just returned to my job, I don't think I'll be able to hang on long enuf to ever get well.

Sometimes . . . better off "dead" really sounds like a viable option.

I see my doc in a couple of weeks and hope to obtain a new plan.

Also, of importance here is the fact that we just received positive test results (MDL) for Bartonella.

I'm not sure how much that comes into play w/ the difficulty "rounding the corner" as my doc says . . . he's proposing a 7 day IV treatment w/ some really scary sounding abx that I've just forgotten -starts w/ a "c" I think??

Anyway - thanks again for the topic. I'll continue to watch w/ interest. Good luck to you.

Sherry R

------------------

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did donta's tetracycline/then biaxin/plaquenil rotation for a while and had some good results, but then crashed, as I had coinfections of babesia and bartonella that weren't addressed or treated...

Once I addressed the coinfections with another llmd I am doing better..still on biaxin/plaquneil and have added other abx along the way to help with coinfections...

hope this helps

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iontheprize
Member # 4029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iontheprize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that others like the idea of a Neurological Lyme forum. I want to be clear that I am not an expert, just a recent inductee like everyone else, looking for answers. I had a few follow up q & a's for some recent posts here.

DawnE: Yoo said that you wouldn't waste your time on orals cause you tried them for six months for neuro Lyme and they were ineffective. Could you share with us which orals and what dosage you tried?

NP: I would love to hear more about your treatment successes/failures using the Donta methodologies.

Ponytail: You're a poster child for the position that IV's are not the cure-all. Thanks for the post. See below.

Betsy (AaronKatie): Have you herxed on the Rocephin? My only herx was after a 5-day interruption and then WHAM! I think this is consistent with the hypothesis that Rocephin causes the borrelia to morph into cysts.

I put Flagyl on my todo list just because there seems to be quite a bit of research (much of it from Europe) that shows that the Flagyl (a.k.a. metronidazole) is quite effective against the cyst form (intracellular). Now if I can just convince a doc to try it. I was on Flagyl once before when I had a stomach parasite many years ago and ten days did not hurt.

(& everyone) I can't say that Dr. Donta is the expert cause I don't know. But if you have not read his article "Late and Chronic Lyme Disease" published in the March '02 Tick-Borne Diseases then read it. (Do an advanced google search with the "" title in the exact phrase section and it pops right up.) Dr. Donta indicates that he believes that the IV drugs do not have greater efficacy than macrolides (clarithro/Biaxin/erithro/etc.) and high-dose tetra therapies.

BPeck: Good stuff Barb. I had "L-form" per Bowen and all I had been on was low-dose Doxy, so I question the ability of tetra to avert the development of cysts. But, you're right, research shows that tetra will inhibit its formation. On the bright side, research also shows that the longer an individual cyst is around, the less likely it is to revert back to viable spirochetes (sorry can't cite it for you). So that also points to the importance of a long-term treatment approach. Sounds like you have gotten cozy with a really good book. Can you tell us more about the herx and why you feel our bodies need time after them?

I'll check in tomorrow and then I'll be in NYC talking to an expert Neuro LLMD thru Tuesday. Can you say $600 consult and won't even mail papers to insurance? Sometimes, all you can do is smile.

Tim

jen13
Unregistered

You guys, lyme IS neurolyme. No lyme just migrates to the joints. Just because the rheumy's like Steere got hold of it first, all they had was the tail of the tiger. It's basically a neuro infection, like syphilis. Borrelia has an affinity for nerves. I remember reading that even the joint pain was usually neuro in origin which is why standard painkillers for arthritis usually didn't work.

aaronkatie
Unregistered

Betsy (AaronKatie): Have you herxed on the Rocephin? My only herx was after a 5-day interruption and then WHAM! I think this is consistent with the hypothesis that Rocephin causes the borrelia to morph into cysts.

Tim,

I have definitely herxed big time with the rocephin this year. Oddly though, last year when i was on it for 6 weeks I did not herx at all.

I started herxing the end of the first week. It wasn't terrible, the neuro symptoms definitely increased, mostly neuropathy got worse and confusion, word finding, etc.

Then at the end of the 4th week I totally lost it. I had total confusion, I ended up hitting a post and not remembering how i'd damaged my car - the doc thinks maybe i'd had some seizures which i'd never had before. I was in state of paranoia that i'd never had been in. I had the worst tremors of my hands and my legs kept shaking - this lasted about a week - and thank God so far it has not been that bad since. It is somewhat worse than before the rocephin but nowhere near as bad as that herx.

I am definitely interested in the cyst formation though - i want to know about flagyl, i have some research that i've done and need to bring into my appt. on june 18th and anything you do find out I'd be interested in and i will post to you whatever i find out.

thanks,
betsy

iontheprize
Member # 4029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iontheprize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say but . . . Uh, Good point Jen. Will you tell us how treatment is going for you. What have you been up to?>

But just the same Betsy and me are gonna hold hands. Right Betsy!? Sounds like you had some serious Herxing going on there. Dr. B say every four weeks and that was right on for you. Betsy, how long had you been suffering before you were diagnosed? It sounds like you are two weeks ahead of me on the Rocephin. What is next for you? I am always trying to think about the next step. Right now I don't like my options which is why I am headed up to NYC.

For more info on the cyst form and Flagyl check out a compilation called "Studies on the Cystic Form of Borrelia Burgdorferi." A google search can get you there. It's actually at www.lymeinfo.net/LDCysts.pdf. It shows why latency and relapses occur, and it is the chief reason why I will see if I can get a doc to use Flagyl. Again, this doesn't mean the other drugs don't work over time . . .

Best wishes. Tim

trish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a wealth of information on this post, I can't add much more except one thing that worked for me immediately. Someone had asked about a cheap treatment to try and this is about as cheap as it gets. Mind you, this is not a cure but it helped me until I could get on the abx.

I had that feeling like a cap was tightly squeezing my head, weird "pressurized" feelings.

Before I went on antibiotics, I upped my dose of garlic to 4000mg.....was shooting for 20,000 or somewhere inbetween but haven't made it there yet.

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but in two days my head weirdness was completely gone. Now I still have cognitive problems but then I've had to back off garlic temporarily due to Biaxin bothering my stomach.

But I swear, it's like the garlic opened up the blood flow to my brain or something. Guess that's possible, since it is a blood thinner, of sorts. It sure worked for me and I'm not so sure the other cognitive problems wouldn't have improved had I been able to keep it up.

Don't take mega garlic if you already are on blood thinners, by the way.

This next week I am upping my garlic again and I will keep you posted. They sell 1000mg doses at WalMart which makes less pills to take. And it can't hurt, I researched a full day and found no negative info on high doses of garlic (besides the blood thinner warning).

I know several people who are on the 20,000mg dose schedule and they are much better. I don't know if I will ever get my dosage that high but there is no doubt that even 4000mg helped my head problems.

Posts: 489 | From CO | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaronkatie
Unregistered

Tim,

I'm right there with ya!!! Yeah you are like 2 weeks behind me.
I suffered for atleast 20 years before being dx'd with lyme, I had so many misdiagnos' and docs telling me i was crazy (and i wondered myself). I don't really know what is next, I have an appt in a week and a half and we have alot to talk about for sure!!!

Please let me know what happens in NYC, I'm very interested. I will check out the website on the flagyl, need to have some amunition(sp?) for my appt.

Hey, i have a new odd neuro symptom, everything seems to be moving side to side (maybe i already mentioned this, no memory either), like my eyes are moving back and forth though they aren't. Have you ever had that one? Not sure if its part of a flare or what!!

Well good luck in NYC and talk soon!
betsy

aaronkatie
Unregistered

Tim,
Saw your post about deciding which doc to use, what happened in NYC? How are the neuro symptoms? Been wondering what happened to ya.

I'm starting my second herx again, yuck! I, too am wondering about switching llmd's.

take care, let me know what youre' up to!
betsy

aaronkatie
Unregistered

Lyme Ed,
thanks for the info, i'll check it out - my llmd knows alot about the cyst form as she's explained it to me, but for some reason isn't addressing it with meds, i'm a little/lot concerned about this.

thanks!
betsy

Kira
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add one other alternative that works well on neuro lyme...Rife.

I have pretty much done every abx that has been mentioned in high doses...I tolerated meds well, was on orals, but mainly IV meds (the only thing that ever touched my neuro/brain symptoms)..including IV Flagyl along with Rocephin, Claforan, Zithromax, Unasyn, gosh the list goes on.

I always felt MUCH BETTER when on IV...as long as it worked(for about 6-12 weeks), then I quickly relapsed. That was the problem...my meds never worked longer than 6-12 weeks before those darn keets mutated and adapted and my IV meds became ineffective and had to be changed.

I finally used up every abx family available to me and became an abx failure.

I thought for sure my life was over as I quickly went back to square one despite almost a year of intense IV therapy...and it seemed I had no more options to get relief.

But then I discovered Rife...and IT'S WORKING!!...even on my most bothersome neuro symptoms!!

It's been 4 months now off IV and doing Rife and 2 months of being off all orals as well...I NEVER thought I would see the day I could get off abx and be ok...and I'm not just ok, I actually went rollerblading the otherday, I work full time again...I am rediscovering people and activities I haven't been a part of in 3 years! I am getting my life back!!

I am not totally symptom free yet, but it was just a few months ago that I was so sick, planning another medical leave, preparing to sell my place and move in with my parents...I could not function...yet here I am today SO MUCH BETTER...and continually improving!

Knowing what I know now...with how sick I was when finally diagnosed... I still think I would do the 2-3 months of IV...that stabalized me. (I was having recurrent menigitis attacks, seizures, intense head pressure, vision and hearing loss and much more...I needed to be stabalized! In my case at least, the meds put the keets into dormancy and I stabalized...I needed that.

But now instead of bombarding my body with intense abx dosages, constantly swapping to different abx families to find relief, dealing with the consequences of all the abx (like awful yeast infections)etc...I wish I knew and believed in Rife and started Rife right away once I became stabalized!!

I know Rife is not mainstream, and most LLMD's won't know about it and if they do they can't advocate for it (it's not FDA Approved)... so it's hard to trust that this therapy works...but it does...and I just wanted to put this option out there along with the various abx options!

P.S. I know a lot of people are going to ask "what is Rife?"...so here are some links to read up and do some research if interested.

Websites to do research http://flash.lymnet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016260.html

My personal Lyme and Rife story http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016033.html

Also check out http://members.aol.com/Theskyking/myhomepage/listings.htm

All my best everyone
Kira

Posts: 802 | From Chicago suburbs, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya..

I am having an intense neuro-focused-Lyme crisis with my son, so I won't be able to get into this as much as I'd like..

But this is a discussion that is great, and I will toss in my experiences.

I presented with mostly neuro symptoms last June, and was diagnosed with Lyme, and also came up with a pos Babesia test. Babesia was treated for five courses of Mepron and Zith..and the symptoms that we managed to isolate as Babs are gone and have not come back..so Babs MAY be gone. But it did complicate things..

That said...along the way, I underwent the high dose Amoxil therapy that has had some success in treating the other spirochetal brain infection..Syphillus..

Basically..anywhere from 12 to 20 grams of Amoxil per day, based on weight and rate of absorbtion (measured by blood draws till it is around a level 12ish???)

That was a good thing to try, I thought, but you need a truckload of acidophillus...

It did not stop the progression of symptoms after five months on it, though, at least not for me..

Maybe because of the Babs? Don't know..

My symptoms were extreme memory loss, extreme delay in response time, complete lack of access to my vocabulary, could not put a stamp in the right place on an envelope, slurred speech, spinning thoughts, total sleeplassness, and neuro-infection-driven depression and anxiety (beyond the naturally occurring depression one might feel when slammed with this illness.) It was feuled by something I felt was "outside of me".

After MRI, SPECT, and neuro-psych testing, we went to IV Rocephin, with Zithro initially.

I had my first Herx..which lasted two months..then snails pace improvement, which I can now track with old symptoms diaries.

We added Plaquanil after two months...to get at cysts and synergize with Rocephin..still on Zithro with that.

I am in my seventh month. I still have a delay in response time..but the gap is closing..I have some memory problems, but much less (in the fall..I would forget things that happened twenty minutes earlier)..I have access to I'd say about 60- 70% of my vocabulary..but still do alot of fishing there, writing easier than speaking, still have sleep problems, but better..my depression and anxiety seems to now be the "natural" kind, as my son is now quite ill again.

I will stay on so long as it is tolerated, with no adverse reactions or lab results, and so long as I feel improvement, do not plateau or get worse.

My Doc does surveilance labs weekly, bi weeklt blood cultures to see the line is not causing infection..dressing changes in his office always..monthly sonograms of the billiary tract to check for GB trouble (early signs..sludging)..we track symptoms, and check periodically pcr for Lyme, and co-infections.

We also use actigall in order to prevent Gall Bladder problems, new for him..but many Docs say it is effective..

So far so good. I was even able to perform again recently, something I could not have done three months ago, due to memory and anxiety.

This discussion is great, we are all different in response, symptoms, immune, co-infections...

and I am now trying to figure out (with the Docs) what is going on with my son. What to do in his case..

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 21 June 2003).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TesMes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TesMes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you tell me what one doctor do you trust more than any? If I could make an appointment with only ONE LLMD, who would you send me to?
Posts: 169 | From Washington USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iontheprize
Member # 4029

Hi Betsy!

Sorry I didn't update you sooner. I thought of you often over the past week, and almost emailed you once. So you saw my other post. I mean, since I have to travel anyway, what difference does it make if my physician is in Canada or Miami?

I take every physician that I see a stack of manilla folders complete and separated by topic and area of expertise . . . ophthalmology . . . infectious disease workup . . . mayo workup . . . lab tests . . . diagnostic studies . . . etc.

Anyway, before the trip, I had already been on 4 weeks of IV Rocephin. The only person that I know who is better after a one-year-plus illness with neuro symptoms including depression was treated by Dr. F highlighted in the People article. I am sure others have beat it too. I mean I know that everybody is different, but I gotta start somewhere. Anyway, so this person was on 12 weeks Roc followed by a few months of Biaxin. Years later he has no pain, but says that he has some nerve tingling and twitching and lives a normal life. (Making a long story longer, but if you are like me you want to hear it all).

So I went up to see the ladyneuro in NYC. She works with the best. Our initial consultation didn't offer any warm fuzzies. She is a busy lady and her schedule (sounds cooler when Brits say it . . . shedule . .) was already messed up and I was a 9am. She looked me over pretty quick. We talked. We talked some more.

Somewhere toward the end she said something about 6-11 months of IV Roc. I am thinking, did she mean weeks? Don't think so. Anyway, I know a guy who relapsed after 5 months of Roc. The literature is really solid on the cyst form and how it comes back after treatments. But she advised against a combo approach right now. I think she was thinking "study candidate." But I am pretty confident that I won't be a study candidate since I doubt that I will meet any criteria.

Incidentally, for what it is worth, I actually got Dr. M of Yale and early lyme research fame on the phone last month - kind of by accident but I got him to talk. He seemed like a nice guy. He said to me, "Rarely does a genuine case of Lyme Disease require more than one or two months of Rocephin." Think about that statement cause it says a lot. It says (1) sometimes he treats for 8 weeks with Rocephin, and (2) he believes that some cases might require longer duration. Um, 12 sounds good. Laugh out loud again. Sorry, got to laugh.

After my neuro visit, the Lyme WB test goes to StonyBrook and results expected about a week from today. I am not optimistic given 5 neg seronegative and PCR tests already except a positive Bowen Lab result. Plus, I had completed week 4 of the IV just the night before our consult. I got CBC and liver enzyme tests since it was two weeks since the last ones.

So spinal tap option was out since I had just been on treatment. Four weeks earlier I was begging for an "LP," but the Johns Hopkins phys said foggetaboutit. Anyway. So I get a SPECT scan the morning after the consult. They shoot me up with radiopharmaceuticals, leave me in a dark room for 15 mins, then put me in the waiting room for 20 mins, they scan my brain. Report was back the next day . . . "borderline abnormal hypoperfusion." That's the game with the SPECT, it can see if blood flows to your brain like it should. If not, then "hypo - perfusion." Maybe I am not that bad off, or maybe 4 weeks of IV started to work. Don't know. Anyway, I'll take borderline anything after a year of tests that say I am a tri-athlete. (I must be feeling better. I am feeling kind of uppity and its after midnight.)

The neuro docs written evaluation will probably arrive in another 10-15 days. Our visit was the 9th, figure 3.5 weeks for StonyBrook test results. One week to write eval. Probably the week after July 4. In the meantime, the prospect of a good eval with a strong rec is lending my current physician some comfort and so the IV Roc scripts keep coming. Again, I am lucky.

I want to try the flagyl, which is doing nothing for one person I know. But that research makes sense. Plus, I talked to another person who felt that flagyl was key. Plus, some on this site say that it causes them to herx badly. Anyway. that is the full report about my NYC trip.

I was sooo tired when I got back. The Monday of my visit was my B-day. I turned 28. I spent Tuesday, June 10 afternoon after my SPECT on the floor of the NYSE, which was cool. Legs hurt after all that walking around. But I am lucky.

Lost my second midline this past week. Piece of flooey sprung another leak. Thursday am I had a PICC line put in before I headed into the office. Cool, I guess, if you're into it.

Friday am I gave a presentation to a bunch of brokers and almost fainted while I was answering a question on the bond market outlook. Literally, left the front of the room where I was standing and walked to the back of the room where I grabbed a bottle of agua which helped a lot.

My gut is holding up well. Knock Knock. I am taking that part of the treatment very seriously, because people say they are miserable if their gut goes bad on them. I take 3 mega flora caps in the am, and three at night. I eat plain yogurt with live cultures with raisins and bran flakes morning and night (tastes good). I also take the pro-biotic tablet with my vitamins. I don't touch dairy, fruit juice, or alcohol - anything spicey or acidic. I eat low-sugar oatmeal raisin cookies cause I read that grains are really good for tummy Ph balance. Good tummy. Good tummy. Say it with me. I love my tummy . . .

Nice work on the second herx. What was it like? Is it a 30-day cycle or were you off the meds for a while? I am curious to know since my only herx was after I was off meds for 5 days and went back on. And I was off again for 5 days recently and nothing happened when I went back on.

So you're thinking about another physician. What's up? And . . . who do I go see next week?

Again, awfully sorry about not getting back to you earlier.

Best wishes. Tim

aaronkatie
Unregistered

Tim,
Wow! You've done alot in such a little time! I hope you figure out which doc to stay with and which protocol to stay with also.

Its 3:30 in the morning so i doubt i'll write much, but will be back in the real morning to finish!

All of your info is so exciting and interesting thanks so much for sharing. Which doc sent you for a test thru bowen? My problems right now are that my llmd will only test thru quest - duh ofcourse its negative!

Is bowen the only lab that can pick up a positive result while you are on abx? I know some tests will be negative while on abx.

I'm sorry, i'm just too tired now, promise to come back in the morning (after maybe a few hours of sleep) and write more! Glad you are back, was worried about you. Lets definitely catch up on symptoms and docs, etc.

thanks for everything,
betsy
p.s. happy birthday
are you a cancer? they rock (I'm a july 9 baby!!!)

aaronkatie
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iontheprize:
[B]Hi Betsy!

Hey Tim, sorry bout the last post, thats what i get for insomnia and having a computer!!!

So which doc are you leaning towards believing the one who said no more than 12 weeks rocephin? But also taking flagyl with it for cyst form.

I brought up cyst form with my doc and swear to god she was offended and blew me off - hence my reason for wanting a new doc. Ofcourse it was the beginning of this herx and it could be a misunderstanding and i could have read it wrong!!!

My doc doesn't seem to think that rocephin should be used longer than i think 6 months max - then she moves onto doxy i'm pretty sure. But once again i haven't heard mention of cyst form!!!

So which doc did the wb test thru stony brook? Won't that always be negative if you are on abx? I have no clue but also want/need a positive but wasn't doing one for fear of it being negative due to abx.

I have no faith in the spinal tap, i had one and ofcourse it was right after my first 7 weeks of rocephin last year but it was negative and my neurologist said it proved i'd never had lyme! Yeah we believe him.

Ofcourse i've had 2 spect exams and shockingly they have come back NORMAL that is a shock since my head is always feeling like it will explode and all the other symptoms - got a new one too (on top of others) - double - triple vision - that's a fun one!

My doc has no problem keeping me on rocephin as my symptoms are so many and she clinically has me down as systemic lyme. But my insurance company has cancelled my rocephin so now i'm paying for it - and am broke, we're in the 3rd appeal and i've never been so angry. Why do we have insurance???

That is interesting about what you are doing for your tummy. I got Burrascano's candida diet this week and basically it is a revised atkins diet - no complex carbs, no starches. only fruits that are fiber fruits. Only leafy veggies (this is what i remember) meat, foul, fish, chicken. no sugar ofcourse.
I take it as eat nothing!!! I'm living on grilled chicken and celery myself and the docs are getting mad at me for losing weight - i can't win. I also take tons of probiotics and acidophilus. Turns out i still had overgrowth of yeast, probably from last year when i did rocephin and the id doc didn't tell me about taking acidophilus or anything. So now i have to take diflucan.

I'm so sick of my doctor because the amount of pain i'm in - she described it to my husband like this exactly - "There is no difference in the amount of pain your wife has and any cancer patient due to bone spurs, fasciatis(?), bone pain, etc" - then i ask for pain medicine - she says "I don't feel comfortable taking over your pain mgmt" - well i told her that my 'pain mgmt doc' doesn't understand the pain that comes with lyme or a flare so he won't treat me for it.

Anyway I'm so ready to give up right now!!!!!

Second herx has been very emotional rollercoasterish. And the pain is about 500% more than ever, seriously. plus flu symptoms. I can cry at the drop of a hat (not at all like me) plus OCD symptoms, totally not like me. Then the usual nerve pain, etc. But the emotional stuff is really tough on me. and my eye sight and panic attacks from my eyes are just amazingly tough. Herx's suck, especially neuro ones!!!

Keep me updated on your progress and test results - I am thinking of finding a GOOD llmd that is relatively close to home (Northern VA) and just getting a second opinion. I'm also needing to take my kids to a good ped LLMD which i imagine is only Dr. Jones so this will be a busy summer!!!

Take care my friend and good luck!
betsy

Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tim,
What MD did you see in NYC. Was it Dr. B? Just wanted to tell you if it was it took forever to get the report from her office. I ended up calling the paient representative's office at Columbia to get a copy. But when I did it was well worth it, and the 600.00 dollars for she confirmed I had neuro Lyme not MS.

I have kind of the same story as everyone else. I was dx last year. My symtoms got so bad they made me leave work! I couldn't drive, couldn't even take a shower sometimes without help because of disequilibrium. I have cognitive problems and drop things from my left hand. I also have hyperreflexia, nystagmus and some other hard core neuro symtoms. And sometimes premature heartbeats.

I was treated originally with 4 weeks of Rocephin and got almost 100% better but the jerk who gave me the Rocephin(well known to this board ) cut me off after the 4 weeks as that is his limit on treatment. I am sure if I had had a few more weeks at that time I would have been cured or close to it.

My primary and neurologist got me 6 more weeks after I relapsed (of Rocephin) and then I went to a Lyme MD who has been treating me.

I am oral Doxy 300-400mg a day,. I had to go off for a few months in Feb as I was having severe stomach pain and nausea. It was not from Doxy and I restarted it 2 weeks ago at 300mg a day so far.

I feel it is helping me. My Lyme MD is willing to give me IV, if I want. I am trying to avoid IV as I am a nurse and it-a PICC-would restrict my lifting ability and I work in a hospital and I am exposed to all types of infectious agents and I don't want to get an infected PICC. I missed about 10 weeks of work last year (was on disability).

My primary has been great he will help me with antibiotics(if I decide not to go to the LLMD) and my neurologist also is great. The Lyme MD is ok I mainly go to her for documentation on my Lyme.

Sometimes all the information can be overwhemling but at least we know we have lots of treatment choices and lots of support and help on this board.

Take care,
Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iontheprize
Member # 4029

Hi all,

BETSY: I am 100% gemini. Half workaholic pretending to be a stock market analyst. Other half pathetic, curled-up lyme sufferer. Incidentally, one physician at Columbia Pres said that they found that MDL Labs and Stony Brook achieved very similar results on their WBs. Bowen is neat and some people swear by them. Call em up and see who offers their stuff near you. Insurance will probably laugh in your face if you attempt a dx using a Bowen test, but then I haven't tried that angle. For another LLMD, other than DocJ, call the LDA. They are nice folks. Marie is a really caring person and she is all the while fighting her own battle. Hang in there Betsy, you are going to get better. I always tell investors that "hope is four-letter word. We don't make decisions using hope." Well, now I am on the other side of the moon and H-O-P-E is the key. That sounds nice if you say it out loud.

GACE24: Yep, I saw ladyneuro Dr. B. I can understand your concerns regarding a PICC given your situation. I can feel mine in my armpit which is a bummer. I hsd it put in a previous puncture below my elbow on my left forearm. It's a good stable site and I was running out of places in my left arm and didn't want to go to my right arm. (After all, then all those long-sleeve shirts that I turned into right-arm short sleeve shirts would be useless. Ha! I kill me!)

A bunch of people have very positive things to say about Biaxin. At some point, I believe I will try to be on Biaxin/Flagyl. Dr. Burr say biaxin is better than azithro in his work. I also want to alert you to something Gace. When I was on only 200 mg of Doxy daily, my yoga workouts almost always caused a herx.

Seriously. It was a total fluke. I was being treated by an ophthalmologist for "inner blepharitis" (it's been a winding road). I would do prolonged muscle stretching and exercises in a heated room. Within two hours of my workout I would have pronounced muscle twitching and very red eyes. That was when I first knew something was very wrong and it was what put me on a warpath going over/around/through clueless physicians.

Also, the medical abstracts that I have read indicate that whereas higher doses of Rocephin do not change the kill rate on the organism, increasing doses of tetra (and therefore I must also assume Doxy) correlate to increased efficacy on the borrelia. I can't figure it out, since then other studies show that the borrelia just go into cysts, but anyway . . .

It's important for us to all know that some believe that the benefits of the IV abx trail their utilization by many months. That is the official position of the IDSA (Infect. Diseases Society of America). They say that the inflammation associated with the disease's pathology declines over a long period of time. Now I know a lot of people will say it is baloney but I keep it in the back of my mind just the same.

MO: It sounds like you have a really good doc now. What do you perform? I love to sing. I am thinking about gittin a geetar - wonder if insurance will pay for it.

PONYTAIL: If you are around I'd love to hear what you thought of Dr. H in TX. Is he the man?

Oh yeah, one other thing . . .
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THIS ALIEN FROM MY LEFT EAR AND NECK????!!!

Alien in the figurative sense, of course. Sorry, just had to ask.

Best wishes. Tim

Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tim
I acutally work as a RN in the department(interventional radiology) that puts in PICCS, ports, Hickmans etc. Sometimes patients have them placed in the OR, but most in radiology. And I have seen nearly everything that could happen to and because of these lines, maybe that is why I am hesitant about another line.

I do yoga also, although my symptoms for the last 2 months have kept me away. I always know when I am doing better because I can do certain poses like triangle and warrior and tree. Now I can't even stand with my feet together and not lose my balance. I think I am herxing from the doxy.

During the winter before my stomach problems
I was symtom free for quite awhile on the doxy. I hadn't felt like that in a long time.
So this is why I am giving doxy a chance,. I am also negative for co-infections. Yoga was a joy I could do every pose no problem! Even my yoga instructor and classmates were impressed!

I guess my peace of mind is that my doc is willing to put me on IV if I need it.I am personally at a point with Lyme that I don't want it to control my life.

I did like Dr B. If you get a copy of your report and she can document Lyme or Chronic Lyme or whatever kind of Lyme they call now it will be great documentation for insurance etc. As she is fairly well respected in the field along with Columbia.

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poochini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poochini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great discussion here. I have had NeuroLyme for probably 4 years. I remember the big ol' rash and the tiny nymph tick (dumb me, I thought it was a blood blister and a spider bite), the start of symptoms (stiff neck, numbness, later profound fatigue) but just not the exact date or location of when this happened.

Four years ago, I was all over the east coast, from Dutchess County to Putnam and Columbia County and even Mystic, CT near Lyme. I tramped pastures in New Jersey and Pennsylvannia. I loved the great outdoors.

Diagnosed this year when I took myself to an LLMD because I could not subtract or memorize anything anymore and walking was getting dicey. Left arm didn't move back or up.

Positive IgM from Igenex, MRI shows 15 lesions with typical Lyme distribution. SPECT scan shows hypoperfusion. Natural Killer T cells abnormally low. Been on 400 mg of doxy since. I herxed within 24 hours and my improvements have been up and down.

I have a heavy neuro component to my Lyme: Memory problems, geographic disorientation, retrieval problems (really embarrassing when you don't know what you're working on), hallucinations (a.k.a. dreams don't turn off when I open my eyes).

Vertigo comes and goes. I have ringing in my ears and ear pain. With vertigo I have nausea. I use a walking stick (don't call it a cane yet!) to help me stand up and walk without falling when I'm dizzy.

But hey, what's better since Dx? My hips and my left arm--they don't hurt as much anymore. I am not fatigued. No zoom-zoom tachycardia each day. I can sleep through the night. Muscle tightness isn't as bad, nor do I have the awful cramping in my upper body. Vibrations not so bad, palpitatons only occasionally annoying. Some days I can think fairly well, but my driving still sucks (I turned left with oncoming traffic the last time I tried, braked on green), so that's off-limits.

I may be switching to IV soon. My LLMD thinks the doxy isn't doing anything for me anymore. I am not sure. I have good weeks then weeks when I seem to slide back. This is a good week, so I am reluctant to give up too soon.

Poochini

Posts: 548 | From Diagnosed 2003 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil
Unregistered

funny that iontheprize should bring up Donta's tetra regimen.. not only is he my infectious disease specialist (during those rare times when my insurance isn't canceled!) but i have actually just switched from the tetra back to Biaxin/Plaquenil. i noticed a difference on the tetra.. and yes my symptoms have been primarily neuro. actually switched myself back to the Biaxin/Plaquenil only because i've got a stockpile of it, no insurance at the moment, and have run out of the tetra. an affordable script, so i will work on getting it refilled..

anyway.. it has made a big difference for me.. and I trust Donta & his approach to treatment more than any other I've come across in the past few years. lol.. or it could also just be that i love the man for giving me, 10 minutes into an office visit, the diagnosis I'd been fighting for for 2 years! Actually... if I remember correctly... he was the first of like 11 doctors who didn't recommend a psychological evaluation! LOL!

anyway.. long answer, but the point is: yes, my symptoms are primarily neuro, and the tetra regimen has made a difference for me.

neil

Green Darkness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: I have neuro lyme(four yrs); tried all that everyone mentioned except IV ; am now on the newer antibiotic , Ketek, and Ceftin; I am improving a lot. Ketek is newer , so people are afraid of trying it; don't be; it has helped lift my depression; helps so that I can drive my car farther than I've been able to in four yrs. You get harder aches, but it is worth it to me; memory is a lot better also.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 560 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post is over a year old

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mammachase
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mammachase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I find this article on Dr. D, I am a patient of his being under treatment for only 5 months and started off on Biaxin & Plaquenil, and after 4 months he's added Doxy. My problem is the muscle spasms/hard as rocks in my legs, my primary gave me Flexerill but is making me sick and dizzy, she mentioned theres a medication that people with MS take for muscle spasms that I could try, anyone know of this?
Posts: 190 | From Bourne, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitsicox
Member # 6307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitsicox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mammachase:
How do I find this article on Dr. D, I am a patient of his being under treatment for only 5 months and started off on Biaxin & Plaquenil, and after 4 months he's added Doxy. My problem is the muscle spasms/hard as rocks in my legs, my primary gave me Flexerill but is making me sick and dizzy, she mentioned theres a medication that people with MS take for muscle spasms that I could try, anyone know of this?

I think the drug you're talking about is Baclofen. It's a safe, time-tested drug commonly used to counteract the discomfort of ms spasms/tightness.

Posts: 53 | From North Oaks, MN, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimeOfLyme:
This post is over a year old

LOL.. you'd think I would have noticed this! LOL! dummy me... now I feel like such a hypocrite... run the official Alison Moyet forum & spend hours of my day being frustrated with people who have done exactly as I just have... lol... have to say, you are much nicer than I've become... lol

well.. I hope that the tetra was helpful to him if he tried it.. ummmm, a year ago!

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im only nice until 2 pm every day

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement