LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tansmission through sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tansmission through sex
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 5 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dose anyone have a definate answer.
To the this ?
Can lymes or its companions be transmitted through sex???? My wife is exibiting a few
symtoms. Like tingly fingers,sore mucles,
sore shoulder,lower back pain. but no fevers or any other symptoms.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LabRat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LabRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes it can.

------------------

Posts: 1887 | From Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tkr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3341

Icon 12 posted      Profile for tkr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't know for sure - there are several docs looking into this link.. personally I think it very probable - maybe not common but certainly can happen

my 4 year old and husband both have it and we never saw a tick on them (I had both a bite and rash)

does that mean we all passed it around or is it exposure since we live in a highly endemic area and visit Cape Cod once a month to see grandparents?

Better safe than sorry I would use something :-) *grin* until you get this all sorted out..

My hopes that your wife is healthy and has not been exposed to Lyme.

best wishes

Posts: 175 | From Bedford, NH | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linus922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme for over 5 years, have had unprotected sex with my husband during that whole time and he does not exhibit any symptoms.

Perhaps it is something like AIDS where males can transmit the disease to females much more easily than females to males.

If you are uncertain, have your wife checked and use protection. I am not a Dr. and do not have anything but anecdotal information and am not advising you one way or another.

Linus

Posts: 127 | From East Greenwich, RI USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 7 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Labrat and thanks tkr. I had asked my Dr and he said it is possible I guess I'll keep watching her for the symptoms like I had, she works pretty hard so the things bothering her could be from that. I have been getting a slight repeat of the headachs I had last july just twinges in the back of the head not as bad as before like a baseballbat to the back of your head. I havn't seen my Dr since last december. This reocurrance is on off mild compared to before. I had lymes a long time and just not sure if its the damage done from it over 10 years before I found a doctor who knows what was wrong. I tell just about everybody around here whats going on too many misdiagnosis in Pa. Well getting a little long winded cya and thanks again.
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Linus922 maybe it has to to with woman being acidic and males alkai? My Dr asked if she wanted tested but she has never had any fevers and pretty much never gets sick.
quote:
Originally posted by linus922:
I've had Lyme for over 5 years, have had unprotected sex with my husband during that whole time and he does not exhibit any symptoms.

Perhaps it is something like AIDS where males can transmit the disease to females much more easily than females to males.

If you are uncertain, have your wife checked and use protection. I am not a Dr. and do not have anything but anecdotal information and am not advising you one way or another.

Linus

DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Treepatrol,

In 2002, theres been posts of studies on this.

Dq

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linus922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Treepatrol,

I think the male to female transmission rate is also higher because of the amount of bodily fluids exchanged is greater with females receiving fluids. That wording made no sense, but I think you know what I mean.

Linus

Posts: 127 | From East Greenwich, RI USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TesMes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TesMes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan, I'm looking for some positive "cure" stories, can you share yours?

Posts: 169 | From Washington USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semper Fi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semper Fi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan, it is a low probability, to start. If you are now negative on the IgM western blot from Igenex you will be resonably safe. And to make sure they can do the test on your semen sample. You need to have active lyme to pass it on. Your a good Boy.... I'm proud of you....
Posts: 512 | From Memlo Park, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have been sick for 5 years and because we were wondering we got my husband tested in a reliable lab, he was neg. Kthi
Posts: 210 | From VA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an abstract presented by Dr. Bach at the International Scientific Conference
on Lyme Disease, April, 2001.

RECOVERY OF LYME SPIROCHETES BY PCR IN SEMEN SAMPLES OF PREVIOUSLY
DIAGNOSED LYME DISEASE PATIENTS
Dr. Gregory Bach, Do.O., P.C. 2415 North Broad Street, Colmar, PA 18915

OBJECTIVE
Lyme disease, being a spirochete with pathology similar to syphilis, is often found
difficult to treat due to the spirochete invading sanctuary sites and displaying
pleomorphic characteristics such as a cyst (L-form). Because a significant portion of
sexually active couples present to my office with Lyme disease, with only one
partner having a history of tick exposure, the question of possible secondary
(sexual)vector of transmission for the spirochete warrents inquiriy.

Additionally,
sexually active couples seem to have a marked propensity for antibiotic failure
raising the question of sexually active couples re-infecting themselves through
intimate contact.

METHODS: Lyme spirochetes/DNA have been recovered from stored animal
semen. Recovery of spirochete DNA from nursing mother's breast milk and unbilical
cord blood by PCR (confirmed by culture/microscopy), have been found in samples
provided to my office.

RESULTS: Suprisingly, initial laboratory testing of semen samples provided by
male Lyme patients (positive by western blot/PCR in blood) and the male sexual
partner of a Lyme infected female patient were positive approximately 40% of the
time. PCR recovery of Lyme DNA nucleotide sequences with microscopic
confirmation of semen samples yielded positive results in 14/32 Lyme patients (13
male semen samples and 1 vaginal pap).

ALL positive semen/vaginal samples in
patients with known sexual partners resulted in positive Lyme titers/PCR in their
sexual partners. 3/4 positive semen patients had no or unknown sexual partners to
be tested. These preliminary findings warrent futher study. Current a statistical
design study to evaluate the possibility of sexual transition of the spirochete is
being undertaken.

Our laboratory studies confirm the existence of Lyme spirochetes
in semen/vaginal secretions. Whether or not further clinical studies with a larger
statistical group will support the hypothesis of sexual transmission remains to be
seen. A retrospective clinical study is also underway.

We are reviewing the medical
records, collecting semen samples of patients who were previously diagnosed with
current and previously treated Lyme disease are bing asked to provide semen,pap
and blood samples for extensive laboratory testing.

CONCLUSION: With the initially impressive data, we feel the subsequent
statistical sudy on the sexual transmission of the Lyme spirochete will illuminate a
much broader sectrum of public health concerns associated with the disease than
the originally accepted tick borne vector.

Sexual transmission..

See Military on Lyme Disease section..
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/lyme-links-misc.html

Or go directly to link:

http://cassia.org/library/Jama_May15,1996_mednews&perspect.htm

Spring Brings Tick Threat to Peace Enforcers JAMA, May15,1996, Medical News &
Perspective

Comments from Website author: JAMA writes here of a caution for troops in
Bosnia-Herzegovina (which I believe also extends to the Mid-East region) that tick-borne
disease is a danger. They caution that the same risks are additionally associated with
mosquitoes, sand flies, fleas, mites, biting flies, and lice. "Desert Storm
Syndrome" parallels one characteristic of Lyme in that this spirochetal
infection also can be sexually transmitted to spouse.

AS THE HALFWAY point approaches in the year-long North Atlantic Treaty
Organization (NATO) peace-enforcement effort in Bosnia-Herzegovina, military are
putting more physicians emphasis than ever on keeping US troops healthy.
US Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps personnel in the former Yugoslavia are
carrying laminated plastic cards reminding them of the diseases that can be transmitted
via various vectors there, particularly ticks (JAMA. 1994;272:337-340 and p 1470 in this
issue). With the arrival of warmer weather, ticks are expected to be a problem until as
late as November.

Although there is talk of a few troops staying longer, November and early December are
when US forces are supposed to withdraw (JAMA. 1996;275:24). President Clinton made
a public pledge to extract US troops within a year of the December 20, 1995, date when
NATO assumed peace-enforcement duties from the United Nations, meaning that
pull-out planning could begin as early as next month.

In the meantime, US Military physicians are concerned about tick-born encephalitis and
Lyme Disease, for which Ixodes ricinus is the primary vector; Crimean-Congo
hemorrhagic fever, for which Hyalomma marginatum marginatum is the primary vector,
and perhaps boutonneuse fever rickettsiosis or Bhanja virus fever, also transmitted by the
bite of an infective tick.

Troops are being urged to tuck their trousers in their boots and otherwise cover their skin
when in tick-infested areas, use tick repellent, check frequently for the presence of ticks
on clothing or skin, and to remove ticks carefully, seeking medical assistance if possible
and applying an antiseptic to the bite site.

What?s more, US troops are reminded that mosquitoes, sand flies, fleas, mites, biting
flies and lice may also present a disease threat in specific locations. Use of
repellents and "maintaining good personal hygiene" are urged.

In addition, there is the potential for hantavirus (Bunyaviridae family) infection, a cause
of hemorrhagic fever or respiratory problems, and thought to result from direct contact
with, or inhaling, dust contaminated by infected rodents' excretions. Thus, rats, mice,
squirrels, voles, and other rodents also are a concern for the military in the Balkans
(JAMA. 1996;275:422 and Lancet. 1996;347:30), and troops are being cautioned to
"mist" or lightly spray previously unoccupied areas to avoid dust inhalation before
mopping or sweeping preparatory to moving in.
Removing trash and sources of water, sealing tiny wall openings, and using repellents can
reduce the chance of disease transmission from rodents, the troops are advised. They are
told to seek immediate medical assistance if bitten or scratched by a rodent.

The US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, Aberdeen (Md)
Proving Ground, has been working on these and other health-precaution efforts. As
always, American GIs have their own name for the laminated materials, calling them
"tick cards."

So far, there has been no major increase in illness or injury among US troops
participating in the peace-enforcement effort. John G. Jernigan, MD, the US Air Force
brigadier general-designee who is command surgeon, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air
Force Base, Ill, says that, to date, there has been no increase in demand for aeromedical
evacuation above that normally required to support US troop activity in Europe other
than Bosnia-Herzegovina.

--by Phil Gunby

http://www.centurytel.net/tjs11/bug/l13.htm

All the other clinicians with whom the authors spoke agreed that Lyme has reached
epidemic proportions. How is this possible? Obviously 25% of Americans haven't been
bitten by one of a select few species of ticks. The answer is that Lyme is not transmitted
just by ticks.

"Of the more than 5,000 children I've treated, 240 have been born with the disease," says
Dr. Jones, who specializes in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. "Twelve children
who've been breast-fed have subsequently developed Lyme. Bb can be transmitted
transplacentally, even with in vitro fertilization; I've seen eight children infected in this
way.

People from Asia who come to me with the classic Lyme rash have been infected by
fleas and gnats."

Gregory Bach, D.O., presented a study on transmission via semen at the American
Psychiatric Association meeting in November 2000. He confirmed Bb DNA in semen
using the PCR test (Polymerase Chain Reaction). Dr. Bach calls Bb "a brother" to the
syphilis spirochete because of their genetic similarities. For that reason, when he treats a
Lyme patient in a relationship, he often treats the spouse; otherwise, he says, they can
just pass the Bb back and forth, reinfecting each other.

Dr. Tang adds other avenues of infection: "Transmission may also occur via blood
transfusion and through the bite of mosquitoes or other insects." Dr. Cowden contends
that unpasteurized goat or cow milk can infect a person with Bb.
http://www.explorepub.com/articles/enderlein3.html
Synthesis of the Work of Enderlein, Bechamps and other Pleomorphic Researchers

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have brought up my own concerns on this subject before.

My husband and I both have Lyme, Ehrlichia, and Babesia.

I was sick over a year before he showed any sx. He has no hx of tick bites; I do, and had the bulls eye rash.

The rare times that we "fooled around" without using protection, he always had a flareup within the next day or two. In fact, that is how he first exhibited sx at all.

When we went to our LLMD with this information, he said, "You had better use protection just in case." Many doctors are now convinced that Lyme is sexually transmittable. The jury is still out on other tick borne diseases.

Best to play it safe!!

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some links to past discussions....

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012492.html
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007046.html
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000909.html
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014589.html
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004469.html

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynnic86
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3634

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lynnic86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another thought...
my husband has been showing signs so I begged him to be tested thru Igenex.. he was and it came back equivical.
He refused to go on anti because he said only one of us can be sick at a time and he doesn't want to end up as sick as me.
Could I have transfered it to him or vice versa....hmmmmmmmmm

Posts: 215 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading all of the replies I think as soon as the pocket book has enough in it she's gona get tested. geezzzzzzzzz
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel as tho it is possible and indeed likely in my situation.

This topic as well as congenital transmission were touched on in the recently published paper titled:

'Lyme Disease': ancient engine of an unrecognized borreliosis pandemic?

here's an example:

"The CDC position on sexual intra-human Bbsl transmission is that it does not occur(17). We find no study that addresses sexual transmission of Bb among humans; conversely, we find no study supporting that is does not occur. Inferential data, however, suggest the possibility of human sexual transfer. . . . Our clinical experience strongly suggests that predictable, possibly inevitable Bbsl transfer between sexually active couples occurs. . . . "

So, basically - I'd always be conservative and would rather be "safe than sorry"!!

I can remember when they first studied AIDS and told us in an "information session" at work - that it was a disease confined to the homosexual population - we've seen how wrong that was.

Just my opinion tho!!!
Sherry R

------------------

[This message has been edited by ponytail (edited 30 June 2003).]

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irongirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a post under News/Releases on june 10th.

Dr. Bach spoke in Salisbury, MD on saturday, june 21st.

The release mentioned the published article: Recovery of Lyme Spirochetes by PCR in Semen Samples of Previously Diagnosed Lyme Disease Patients.

Got my attention.

I was outta town and could not go.
Did anyone go to this seminar?

irongirl

Posts: 140 | From PA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up for sexually transmitted
Wink9
Member # 4516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wink9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're going through this at my house as well. My husband was a big, strong, brute until we got together. Now his fatigue is getting worse and worse, his body temp falling, mysterious body pains, knees going bad, pain in his chest and his digestive system giving him fits.

Of course it could just be being married to me . . . .

Horrifying to think you could pass this to a loved one. Just makes you sick(er).

Kerrie

Posts: 60 | From Ohio | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 6 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy,I once got a transmission for sex ,and then I had to put new gears in it. He He He MADDOG
Posts: 3995 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasha
Member # 2623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now i dont know about sexually but i spoke with my dr. today about donating blood and he said although it was possible to trasmit it that way, it would be unlikely if you were in the cronic stages because by then the ketes have gone into the tissue. i also asked him about from mother to child and he said again it's possible if you get it during the early stages of the pregnancy but that it's unlikely..I hope he's right because i used to donate all the time because im o- and i'd feel absolutely horrid if i unknowingly gave it to someone else!
Posts: 22 | From garden city, NY , US | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasha
Member # 2623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now i dont know about sexually but i spoke with my dr. today about donating blood and he said although it was possible to trasmit it that way, it would be unlikely if you were in the cronic stages because by then the ketes have gone into the tissue. i also asked him about from mother to child and he said again it's possible if you get it during the early stages of the pregnancy but that it's unlikely..I hope he's right because i used to donate all the time because im o- and i'd feel absolutely horrid if i unknowingly gave it to someone else!
Posts: 22 | From garden city, NY , US | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TicksinNC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TicksinNC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! A friend of mine had been taking care of her ill hubby for some time and he finally started getting proper treatment when she became pregnant. After the birth of the child she became extremely fatigued. Doctors told her is was just part of being a mom. Her hubby noticed that she was showing some symptoms somewhat to his own when he had first gotten sick years prior. She tested and it was positive. Therefore, she has rec'd it via sexual contact. Thier LLMD used her husband's sperm sample to check for spirchetes and they were in his semen. Oh, and the baby, she tested equiv. at age 3 but 6 months of meds, she is doing just fine at age 5 now. As for her parents, they both are still getting treatment.

My husband has been having bouts of arthritic joints often in the past year. I do ponder if he could have gotten Lyme from me. He had a pain in his shoulder for 2 months and the doc told him it was arthritis (he is 44). He is battling the same pain again now, months later it returned. He complains of days he "feels weak" and days of fatigue. My husband is very active and it scares me when he says he feels tired. He also has muscle spasms at the bottom of his heart so he takes heart meds for that. A heart cath. earlier this year had shown that, no known cause.

------------------

Angela

Posts: 191 | From Benson, NC, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Just thought I would bring this up for newbies.

My wifes has since been tested and was positive on lyme dot blot tests two out of three urine samples urine 1 neg. urine2 and urine3 POS she shed all the markers. Now being treated for lyme and feeling quite good in her 4thmonth.

SO I say yes it is sexually transmitable!!!!!!

update still being treated 6/10/05
and wetern blot was possitve to bothe igg igm.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 10 June 2005).]

Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my hubby has it. He started getting crippling anxiety attacks 5 months ago, quit his job, sat around shaking for a few months, then started complaining of weird pain AROUND his joints like I've had only since contracting lyme.

I'm hoping he'll get tested so he can start treatment and get to feeling well enough to look for a job. On the other hand, if he gets diagnosed with lyme, I guess there's a chance that a new employer's insurance wouldn't cover him.

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 16 January 2004).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naomi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naomi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after we had been married for a year and a half my hubby came back with an extreemly possitive test from Igenex.

I am the one with Lyme and he has never been bitten by a tick.

Therefore I really think he got it from me. A week after we were married I had to take him to the hospital....high fever, aching joints and muscles. He was really sick...they told him it was some kind of infection and sent him home with abx.

we didn't have sex before we were married....

Naomi

Posts: 276 | From Boston, MA, UsA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treepatrol,

I've been the picture of poor health for 10 years, my husband has been the picture of perfect health all this time. Neither one of us had known tick attachment. I was diagnosed last year.

I just found out yesterday that my husband's IGenex western blot was positive for bands 23-25, 31, 34, 39 and 41 on the IGM! He works 60 hours/week no problem, no fatigue, no pains, runs long distance, NEVER sick ... NOTHING to indicate he's suffering with lyme. I only tested positive on 2 IGM bands and I've had almost every lyme symptom in the book.

Folks, it's hard to tell by symptoms alone!!

We only had him tested because my 2 kids were positive (didn't think they'd be + either) but because of our 10 year history of "no protection" thought to get hubby tested just in case.

Do I think we got it from one another? I think so. I think I gave it to him. When they say some people are assymptomatic that is my husband! Get everyone tested now, why wait for symptoms or worsening symptoms?

Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish (Lesley):

The positive IgM western blot for your husband is very interesting. Were there any bands on the IgG?

As I'm sure you know - IgG antobies are amde after IgM, and are the ones that stay in the body longer to remeber the antigen when it's present again.

Your husbands lack of IgG antibodies but absense of symtoms with a positive IgM starts
to give validity to the theory that humoral
immunity may be involved (and sucessful).

What does your Dr. say about this?

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Well got it some where. As far as your husband he may only have sporatic fever once in a while over five or six years also some joint pain will develope rist finger etc. I was sick on and off over years then wham It got bad fast depending on your husbands health eventually it will catch up. sorry
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Barb,

My LLMD suggested that we only test for the IGM ($90.00 for IGenex) and see what happens (since none of us, LLMD included, thought such a healthy person could be positive. So, I don't know his IGG (yet). We go to see my LLMD together on Tuesday and then we'll get the IGG half of his Western Blot test done.

Why didn't we do it all at once? We have been hit hard financially with all this testing recently (2 kids tested, the upcoming Dr. Jones visit for them, my ongoing treatment costs, travel costs to LLMDs, aging van, x-mas expenses...so to save $90.00 thought we'd only do IGM for now.

Barb, what is humeral immunity? I'd like to know. I will post update on this tread what LLMD thinks about my husband's positivity. I'm wondering if during treatment he'll go thru any misery from herxing/die-off?

I forgot to mention that my husband's only illness in a decade was an attack of colitis that landed him in the hospital. This was out of the blue. He was feverish and in severe pain. He had IV abx and wasn't well for more than a week. He had a colonoscopy done a month later and his colon was perfect. Could this have been a lyme-related symptom??

If his IGG is negative, for example, would this indicate a more recent infection/bite? I am still dumbfounded that he is positive. He is an urban guy who lives in a cubical for work, not an outdoorsman. I guess there's no way to prove it was sexually transmitted...but I believe it can be.

Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Tree,

I was typing when you posted.

Good point, good for all people to know that the "wait and see" approach to treatment or testing makes them ticking time bombs so to speak. I blew up back last May Hindsight is 20/20... Didn't Tincup write an article about the dangers of "wait and see"?

Leslie

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 12 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep me thinkest it twas thou honarable TinCup!
artsmart
Member # 4269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsmart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitly yes. I can't reveal the source; however, the Lyme spirochete was isolated within the sperm and photographed. The photo was presented at a recent gathering of Dr.'s who are at the forefront, fighting this disease. The findings will help to get more help from the govt. as now there is proof positive it is similiar to syphillis and aids. I hope my knowledge helps those out there who have it and need to prevent it from being spread sexually. I imagine it can be found in the egg also, as it does attach to DNA. I do not know the abstracts for that finding but remember reading it. We've known that it is transmitted sexually for over 20 years. I read this about that long ago.
Posts: 94 | From Branchville, N.J. U.S.A. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Funny this appeared here again today.... wow.

As I was driving home this evening.. I was doing the usual dreaming about what I can do to make folks pay attention to the Lyme problem.

I was thinking.. what if I could rent one of those HUGE bulletin boards that stand so high up in the sky.. along the main road.. as you enter the town of Baltimore, Maryland?

If I could do this... I would have it covered in Lyme green neon paint of course.. and then I would put a few BIG words on it that REALLY make a PUNCH.

One of the ideas was.... in BIG BOLD black letters..

"LYME IS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED"

Would that be fun or what?

No..

I can't prove it..

But no one else can absolutely prove it isn't.

It would sit on the highway and everyone heading into town would see it. Especially the folks headed to HOPKINS!

If I PAID for the ad... and rented the space... who could make it be taken down?

It would sure enough cause a LOT of talk!

SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have been infected for at least 7 years possibly 12. My wife has no sympthoms my son who is 7 has no sympthoms. We are definately not abstinate.

BUT if I would have known then what I know now I would have taken precautions.

As with all things better safe than sorry.

Sent

------------------
You're allowed to be a victim only once, after that you're a volunteer. Naiomi Judd

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillygirl
Member # 4954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor suggessted that my husband be tested for lyme on my initial visit to see him. We did not think that it was important because he was not sick and the picture of health. Active runner, etc. etc.

Since we had been married for 8 years and my smptoms have been going on for 8 years we agreed to have him tested. Bingo, he was postive and began treatment ASAP. He told us that if we were not both treated that I would never get better. Also that some people are carriers and will never get sick. Similar to HIV!

I believe that the answer is yes and that ones own immune system will be the final decision maker as to who gets sick and who is only a carrier.

Posts: 41 | From Roanoke, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

I dont think its just the immune system I begining to wonder if it is a combination of what the immune system gets hit with and in the order it gets dragged down.
Then the lyme explodes it just keeps chippin away until its time is ripe.

treepatrol
Member # 4117

She my wife has it (lyme) No theory anymore YES ITS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED!!!!!
Lo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup is the expert !!

Read what she posted and follow it.
There is enough information out there to prove Lyme CAN be transmitted sexually.

I find myself wondering how anyone has been able to stay active sexually with this awful disease.

Posts: 187 | From Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 13 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know it is a distant cousin to syphilis, which is also a spirokete? End of wondering. the LLMD's usually treat the couple not just the spouse only.

Listen to Tincup. Been here a long time and is very, very knowledgable.

Also, the best test around is the Bowen Research test in FL. www.bowen.org I had all of the tests, thank goodness for the early LUAT test I took in 2000. Showed I had the lyme. Was bitten in 1994 and very ill. Did pass it on to hubby. I finally had the blood tested at Bowen and it showed I had HME, HGE and babs besides the lyme. Only go there since. It is a 501(C)(3) lab where you make a donation of $250, get a letter so you can take the amount off of your taxes, and you get pictures of what is in your blood. GROSS!

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Old post with some answers
sweet_basil_wild_thing
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_basil_wild_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logically it would only make sense that if the spirochetes are found in semen and vaginal fluids that Bb could be sexually transmitted. Further logical proof is that it is a rickettsia kin to syphillis. Since the evil critters are more mobile moving between cells than in fluids or blood. Now I am pondering the male/female transmission and if there is a difference in infection rates.

****I volunteer for the local red cross and they told me that people infected with lyme disease are not allowed to donate blood for an indefinite period of time....so caution about donating blood!!!

Be wild all, celebrate life, hug, snuggle and cuddle the ones you love!!
CC

Posts: 16 | From Holly Springs, NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_basil_wild_thing
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet_basil_wild_thing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yea Tin Cup I love the billboard idea....everyone knows sex sells.

And on the other hand it is easier to gain support for research and treatment financially, by the government, medical community, society, etc. when it is a sexually transmitted disease....

be wild, celebrate life, hug, love cuddle and snuggle the ones you love
cc

Posts: 16 | From Holly Springs, NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sexually active husband and wife - no doubt, it is passed on. We both battled Lyme with all its trimmings for almost eight years.

We are both cured - whatever you wish to call it. We are both feeling super. Thank God.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an old and tense subject but I personally haven't seen any reliable studies yet.

I feel that it is conjecture to say that one person contracts it from another in ANY way.

You will hear about clusters in couples, families, ect. Especially in high exposure areas.

During experience as an HIV/AIDS prevention and testing counselor volunteer I would recommend that sexual partners be tested for HIV as well as any other sexually transmitted infections before becomming sexually involved.

As far as Lyme being sexually transmitted, I have inquired at training sessions based on CDC information and no one that I have spoken with has ever heard of any reliable information but I have been told that it is NOT considered to be sexually transmitted.

By the way, my husband does not have LD nor does the other partner in which I had unprotected sex for almost a year after I had contracted it.

I'm not saying that it's not possible through intercouse but highly unlikely. I think personally think that we don't have enough information yet.

I'm not a doctor though so perhaps you should ask your LLMD or go to the CDC website.

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klcst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband did not come down with symtoms until 16 years into the marriage. Please do not think that because a partner does not develop symptoms as soon as they are exposed to Lyme that the probability is low.
The Department of Health for New York, this year, labeled Lyme as a communicable disese.
By the way, even the IGenex Western Blot misses at least 30% of the positives for Lyme. Remember, because of the problems with Lyme testing, the CDC does not require
a positive test to be diagnosed with Lyme. If you want to know for sure if you have Lyme, and you want to monitor how your treatment is working while getting treatment, then get the BOWEN test. I know of several people who started with a high ratio with their Bowen test and when they finally became symptom free the ratio was extremely low.
I did not know about the Bowen when I was diagnosed with Lyme. By the way, I had an extremely high Western Blot through Igenex (+++ 9 out of 10, and 5 out of 10) and doctors are trying to say I am a false positive even though I am responding extremely well to abx that my LLMD put me on.
Fortunately, i had my children and my husband do the Bowen and we will be able to tell if a particualar abx is working well for them based on the ratios throughout treatment.
I hope this helps.

Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by Semper Fi:
Bryan, it is a low probability, to start. If you are now negative on the IgM western blot from Igenex you will be resonably safe. And to make sure they can do the test on your semen sample. You need to have active lyme to pass it on. Your a good Boy.... I'm proud of you....

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was looking for info to print out for a friend.

wanted to add that the CDC used to say it was not passed on congenitally. they cited that there were only two documented cases where it was passed on congenitally. Karen Forschner's son Jaime and one other case.

they also said it was not passed on thru breast milk. now they concede that it can be passed on congenitally and thru breastmilk. and i think there are many mothers on this site, including me that know they passed it on to there children congenitally and/or thru breastmilk.

my husband has had symptoms since a mosquito bite in which he contracted "viral" encephalitis more than 20 yrs ago. encephalitis headaches went away, but he still did not have the memory he should have. none of us were the same after a trip to nantucket island in '91, and my son has been sick since birth.

but still, we did not recognize our children's symptoms as serious. bot children exel academically and my daughter has always been a gifted athlete. my husbands perception of himself was that he was "healthy as an ox".

when a few yrs ago, a stomach flu triggered a recurrence of the encephalitis headaches he had 20 yrs earlier, i knew he had it too. he didn't think so. my neuro , who was treating me for lyme at the time, examined him and assured us he is "healthy as an ox". took me a year before he finnally agreed to be tested. and this is only because when he picked me up from support group, fellow support group members told him i would never get better until he gets treatment because he will just keep passing it back to me.

he got tested. expected the tests to come back neg, but instead his pcr was pos. he was surprised, but not shocked.

it took me a long time before i recognized my children had this. my son had symptoms since birth, so i never suspected lyme as the cause. my daughter had wierd circular rashes all over her body after playing in a leaf littered playground at her preschool in washington crossing , PA. pediatrition (who also has social connections at that preschool i later found out) told me not to even bring her in. give her benedryl, they are just hives. an alergic reaction to something. (later testing for alergies showed she has none).

at age 5, she got a deer tick bite after playing in a neighbors backyard where there was some overgrown grass. only found the tiny thing on her neck because i was having trouble with some tangles in her long hair.

pulled it out, but the head stayed in, so ran to the phone and called the pediatrition. pediatrition had written an article in a parents magazine on lyme disease. though now know it is filled with inaccuracies, falsely reassuring parents.

she laughed at my worries, said less than two percent of the ticks here carry the bacteria, throw the tick out, they don't even test them. it was not attached long enough. when what i now know to be an obvious bullseye rash developed, ws told again not to bring her in to be seen, it's not big enough to be a real bullseye, it is just a reaction around the bite site. i now have a better idea of all the various things this can do to people, how it affects us all differently , and it was so obvious my kids had symptoms.

suspecting that my daughter's night terrors were neuro in origin (when told people in my support group about my daughter, they told me she has symptoms, get her to a lyme dr.)and that her behavior problems might be due to lyme, i took her to the pediatric neuro at my neuro's practice. he reassured me she was the picture of health. most definately did not have lyme and proved it with a negative elisa from quest labs(like not even having the lyme tests done i now know). i was releaved to be assured she did not have lyme. she had lyme and babesia.

when a couple of years later i discovered the photos of me from out '91 vacation to nantucket island (capitol of lyme and babesia) with my daughter, a 9 mos old nursing baby in the photo, i had a local dr test my kids thru MDL.

daughter came back neg (except maybe for band 66 on IGG western blot) , but son was pos by pcr. took him to pediatric neuro. told me my sons' pcr was a false pos pcr, he sees them all the time. lied and said he had an ear infection (no congestion, no fever , no ear pain) and prescribed 2 wks amoxil. (also considered "standard care" for lyme. protecting himself from possible lawsuit?). another pediatrition i took him to right after determined that he did not have an ear infection and was shocked that in the little boys 6 yrs of life, no dr had ever treated him for his obvious lyme. pediatric neuro told me he does second opinons for dorethy petrushka. i doubt it.

both have pos from bowen. son is pos by pcr and now pos for mycoplasma. daughter was neg pcr, but pos on elisa at stonybrook, equivical western blot.

sometimes the disease is mild in people to the point they don't recognize they have symptoms. sometimes they have had the symptoms for so many yrs and are used to living with them, don't even realize they have them.

didn't dr Raphael Stricker determine it is sexually transmitted? i thought there were medical abstracts. anyone know where i can find these abstracts?

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content
Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections

lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if they want to ignore lyme and pretend it doesn't exist and we are all nuts including our doctors who are treating us and try to put them out of business, then you can be darn sure they will want to keep the lid on whether or not it is sexually transmissible, then they would have to acknowledge it.

I feel it has to be since it is syphillus's cousin and more complex. I read a researcher was shut down for conducting research it was transmissible by touching. Don't know how reliable that info was, but it is example (if true) of how they don't want anyone to know.

Lymiecanuck

Lymiecanuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement