LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Rocky Fever........WOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Rocky Fever........WOW
jennygump31
Member # 4199

Icon 11 posted      Profile for jennygump31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got some of my test results back and I was positive for Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever. I also have Lyme. How possible is this? I am so confused how I after one time mowing the grass on a riding mower can get all this. Also I have not gotten back all my test results yet so there could be more co-infs. My husband mows the grass all the time but he is fine. Am I just too Sweet?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Are you having acute symptoms of Rocky Mtn. spotted Fever? You'd not forget this - it's high fever -muscle/joint pain, sometimes accompanied by a growing rash on the hands feet and face.

List your test results, and the TYPE of test it was for Lyme and RMSF.

For example: I tested postive ( elevated IgG titer) for ParvovirusB19 but I don't have symptoms. Most probably I had it at sometime in the past - as many people do, and my immune system erradicated it, leaving the IgG antibodies. IgM for Parvo was negative.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds familiar. I'll never really know what happened to me, but I got a tick bite about 4 yrs ago. Got mild flu symptoms (no spots or really acute illness). Since summer flu sounded strage--went to doc.

He thought it was nothing (of course) but gave me 5 days abx that "cured" me. Turned out I was positive IgM for RMSF (negative elisa). Never had any acute symptoms or even fever. I still test mildly positive for a current RMSF infection IgM = 64.

I don't know if I got RMSF, lyme, neither or both. Based on symptoms, herxing and abx response in general, I have to believe I do have lyme now and the current RMSF test indicating current infection is incorrect (I think I would be dead by now).

I don't think RMSF occurs in a chronic form. That is based on lots of looking around and asking questions, but at this point nothing would shock me.

Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mvilas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mvilas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I had RMSF back in Oct. 2000. I didn't even know I was bitten by a tick. I developed a high fever, petechial rash all over my body, headache, stiffness, so I went to the ER. A week later my tests came back positive for RMSF so I took 7 days of Doxycycline. Was fine until last June when I started having all kinds of neurological problems, now I think I may have Lyme. I don't know of any cases where people are infected with RMSF and Lyme at the same time because I think the ticks are different, but who knows.

Michelle

Posts: 144 | From Marysville, Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very possible to have both RMSF and Lyme. .. and other co-infections all at the same time.

Guess you were not so lucky while on the mower?

As bpeck said.. you may have been exposed to RMSF in the past... and it could have been mistaken for the flu, pneumonia, etc.

You may have had a low dose of organisms which you were able to fight off successfully??

You may have had its cousin, Ehricklia... and the tests cross reacted? (That theory, about cross reacting... is NOT established fact and I am not even sure it is possible.. just something I have wondered about in the past... so don't take that as gospel please).

And yes.. RMSF CAN become chronic... and has some symptoms that are more slow growing than the wham bam that hits originally. See info below...

The same ticks can pass any of the diseases... but most literature published (which copies other peoples literature).. well... that makes it hard to actually find good info with the updated facts.

Think of it this way. Let's say a tick feeds on a mouse. A mouse can carry nearly 100 diseases. A tick can pick up one, two, four, or no diseases at all as it feeds.

The tick then feeds on deer for the second stage meal. The deer can contract organisms from the previously infected tick and pass them to new ticks later on down the line.

Most literature will say a blah blah blah tick transmits this disease and a blah blah blah tick transmits that disease. Years ago that was fairly true.. kinda sorta.. because the ticks that carried RMSF ... well the researchers didn't even know about Lyme or to even look for it. They were only looking for RMSF... so they didn't know what other diseases might have been carried.

I volunteered at a deer checking station years ago where we collected ticks from a small spot on each deers neck and recorded locations. Sometimes there were several species of ticks on the same deer. The test results showed how many ticks were infected with Lyme and other diseases... and there was no big difference in species of ticks compared to diseases.

Many folks don't get the rash with the RMSF so not having the rash does not mean you didn't get the disease.

Here is some infornation that may help?

If you need more.. try the search function at Lyme Net. There should be a good deal of info there.

By the way... simply handling ticks.. or ticks crawling across your skin could transmit RMSF. You don't have to be bitten to get the disease.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever:

RMSF is a rickettsial disease normally presenting with a sudden onset
of fever, chills, fatigue, muscle pain, headaches, and conjunctivitis. A
spotted rash may appear on the hands and feet in about 50% of cases.
Delay in treatment may result in death or a chronic illness which can
affect the brain, spinal cord, heart, lungs, kidneys, or liver. Chronic
cases of RMSF may also cause a loss of bladder or bowel control, blood
clotting problems, partial paralysis, hearing loss, congestive heart
failure, movement disorders, and respiratory distress syndrome. The
fatality rate can reach 20% in untreated cases.

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennygump31
Member # 4199

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jennygump31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. My only thing is that I never had the spotted rash I had four bulls-eye rashes on my legs that all had bite marks. This is weird.

I am still waiting on the Ehricklia test to come back as well as Babasia and she is test for typhus also.

Doc is retesting the RMSF to make sure the lab did not messup.

The lab also had something on my sheet about spinal fluid but

she did not do a spinal tap so she is wondering if they messed up.

I guess I will have to wait again and see. In the mean I am still on Doxy and I am starting to feel human again.

I just want to make sure this is no just sitting dorm and as soon as Im off the doxy it will kick me again.

Is that possible? I will have been on Doxy for 2 months.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had RMSF right from the begining! No Rash that I remember....Flu realll bad!!!!!Migrain reallll bad!!!! Hospitalized, had spinal tap oh the whole nine yards!!!!

Never once in the two and a half weeks that I was there , did they test me for Lyme or any co-infectons!!

I was on and off abx for a whole year for other things ,like an ear infection...that sort of ting.

Finally after being so sick for over a year... I couldn''t even stay awake. My mopm takes me in to the Ducks office and starts layin it on em....

2 days later I was on abx for Lyme, RMSF and Ehrliciosis!!!! The doc finally tested me. I had no idea what Lyme disease really was then.

But obviously I had , had it for a long time. Ha that's the beginning of my story.

However, once I did my abx treatment, the test said I still had Lyme but not the other stuff..... I don't trust labs.....

Good luck, Jamie

------------------

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement