LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Clip Clip Here, Clip Clip There

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clip Clip Here, Clip Clip There
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a couple of La tee da's. Thats how we waste the day away in the merry old land of OZ...

Oh well....

I had sent in some of my "Lyme Projects" to the newspapers and they have been cut tremendously....But then I am a "TINY bit wordy" at times! HE HE!

Since they wanted an interview (question and answer form) on the topic...I complied. They sent the questions...I had to answer. Yes, I am happy that it is being printed.

The article below was written for a different paper (not yet submitted, but they have always been kind enough to print my stuff)and similar to the original one I submitted to the other paper...

MAY IS NATIONAL LYME DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH

Frequently asked questions:

1. What is Lyme disease and who is at risk for getting it?

Lyme Disease is caused by a spirochete (similar to the one that causes syphilis) and can
be found in ticks, fleas, horse flies, mosquitoes, and numerous wild and domestic
animals, from deer to birds. Once transmitted to humans, the spirochete (over 300 strains
identified to date) causes damage by spreading to various parts of the body. It can infect
any and all organs and tissues in the body. It can cause a multitude of symptoms that can
make a person very ill, totally disabled, and/or it can be fatal. The Maryland Community
and Public Health Administration reports that Lyme Disease is ``common in the suburbs''.

2. Can it be transmitted from person to person?

The spirochete that causes Lyme Disease has been found in semen, urine, blood, breast
milk, the cervix, spinal fluid, muscle tissues, joint fluids, and other body fluids and
tissues. Those who have Lyme Disease are prohibited from donating blood or organs.
Lyme Disease has also been shown in many cases to be passed from mothers to their
unborn children, and to young babies through breast milk. Anyone concerned should
take appropriate precautions.

3. What are some of the signs and symptoms of the disease? What are the effects of
Lyme disease?

Unless a lay person or doctor is very experienced with Lyme Disease they may not
recognize it until it is too late, and often, not at all. Lyme has been misdiagnosed as
variety of other conditions such as Muscular Sclerosis, Chronic Fatigue, Alzheimers,
Fibromyalgia, Parkinson's, Lupus, Depression, Encephalitis, and various forms of
arthritis. The list of possible symptoms is overwhelming and there can be anything from
hearing loss to panic attacks surfacing in otherwise healthy individuals as the first
indication of Lyme. Some patients do not recall a tick bite (thought to be the most
common form of transmission) and many never get the typical bulls eye rash or flu-like
symptoms that are often associated with early stages of Lyme. Lyme can affect the eyes
causing sensitivity to light, floaters, blurry vision, conjunctivitis, and even blindness.
The brain and surrounding tissues can become infected and damage can range from mild
to severe. Often the digestive tract is compromised and people with Lyme can battle acid
reflux, gas, bloating, nausea, diarrhea, cramps, blockage, and pain. The bladder and
reproductive organs are not spared and hormonal and menstrual problems may surface in
woman, while swollen testicles and pain may cause problems for men. The heart and
lung problems can range from palpitations and shortness of breath, to heart block and
respiratory failure. There is often brain ``fog'', memory problems, confusion, difficulty
thinking, and speech difficulties. Depression, severe anxiety, insomnia, and mood
swings are common. Extreme fatigue is usually a constant problem, along with muscle
spasms and joint pain. Even with what is considered appropriate treatment, Lyme
Disease patients can have a reoccurrence of symptoms and/or new symptoms may
develop. The thyroid responses can be altered and require adjunct therapy. Other
infections are hard to fight off once the immune system is compromised by the
spirochete, and in turn, severe yeast infections, sinus problems, asthma attacks, urinary
tract infections, colds, kidney infections, and eye infections tend to become more severe
and/or more frequent. The blood sugar levels, blood pressure, pulse, and body
temperatures tend to fluctuate, which can cause additional problems. As the spirochetes
die off in the human body, toxins develop which can cause a multitude of chronic
problems unless treated properly. There are promising new treatments available to help
control or eliminate the toxins. Those being treated for Lyme should be aware of the
possibility of a Herxheimer reaction. The ``herx'', as it is better known, is an increase in
the severity of symptoms and often follows the initiation of antibiotic therapy. The
reaction can be mild or very severe and may be confused with an allergic reaction to
medication.

4. What should I know about Lyme Disease and tick bites?

There is a great deal of outdated information still floating around that indicates a tick
must be attached for at least 24-48 hours to be able to infect a person. Unfortunately, this
is not the case and many have found out the hard way and are still suffering the
consequences. The only way to prevent Lyme is to not come in contact with the
spirochete. However, once in contact with an infected source, the earlier the treatment
the better. Early treatment will not guarantee a cure, but it hopefully will increase the
chances of recovery. Unfortunately, the standard Lyme Disease blood tests (ELISA) that
are often used to detect antibodies have a very poor record of detecting the disease and
are thought to miss approximately half of the actual cases of Lyme Disease. They are
less expensive than many of the more accurate tests and are commonly used as a
screening test by insurance companies over the more specific tests performed at specialty
labs. In addition, the standard 2-3 weeks of antibiotic treatment that was once thought to
be adequate to cure Lyme Disease has been shown to not be effective in many patients.
There are no documented long term studies that indicate a short course of antibiotic
treatment is able to cure Lyme Disease and those treated with a short course of
antibiotics have been found to relapse, often repeatedly. If you contract Lyme Disease,
not only is immediate treatment appropriate, but enough treatment MUST be provided by
a knowledgeable health care provider.

5. What type of treatment is available?

Treatment protocols vary depending on the amount of time between the infection and
when treatment begins. It is also very possible to be co-infected with other tick born
illnesses (Babesiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Ehrlichiosis, all of which can
be fatal, and are found in Maryland) at the same time as contracting Lyme Disease, and
this must be considered. To determine the proper treatment for Lyme Disease, the
spirochete load, the persons age, prior health, allergies, length of time between bite and
treatment, etc. all must be considered. According to current guidelines used by doctors
familiar with the disease, the early cases should be treated with antibiotics for a
minimum of 4-6 weeks and late stages usually require a minimum of 4-6 months of
treatment, either IV or oral medications, or both. If treatments are discontinued before
all symptoms of Lyme disease have ended, a person can remain ill and relapse. Patients
who have been ill for years may require open ended treatment and/or ongoing
maintenance therapy to prevent the worsening of symptoms. There is no current test
available to determine if a patient has been cured, so it is extremely important that a
doctor very familiar with treating the disease be consulted.

6. What are the long term effects of Lyme Disease?

Patients can relapse with any and all of the original symptoms, can develop new
symptoms, and can progressively deteriorate as time goes by. Many will become unable
to exercise, or even to barely walk. Speech, writing skills, and communication problems
may get worse and many may become bedridden or house bound. The brain can be
damaged, eyesight and hearing can worsen, severe headaches and neck pain can
continue, and muscles and joints can become wasted. The heart and lungs can be
seriously compromised and the bladder and digestive tract symptoms can worsen. Severe
depression, anxiety, and panic attacks can continue unchecked. Violent rages are noted
in some individuals, and overall mental abilities may show a decline. The financial
burden of Lyme can be devastating with hundreds of thousands of dollars being spent in
the pursuit of a diagnosis, the costs of treatment, and follow-up therapy. Families have
lost their homes, their jobs, and their sanity while trying to deal with all of the effects of
the disease. Children have been removed from school for years at a time, marriages have
broken up, and Lyme patients have committed suicide. To add to the problems, many
insurance companies continue to deny access to proper testing procedures and treatment
which further stresses individuals and can worsen their overall health.

7. Has Lyme disease been on the increase locally?

The Center for Disease Control requires cases of Lyme disease to be reported, however,
they exclude cases that are not serologically confirmed and many seronegative cases are
not reported, even though Lyme Disease has always been a ``clinical diagnosis''. It is
estimated that there are at least ten times the number of cases actually occurring than
what are reported each year, and that is a very conservative figure. To add to the
problem, an infected female tick can produce 2 to 5 thousand babies and can be carried
into new areas by birds, pets, wildlife, and people, increasing the chance for exposure.

8. What is the best way to prevent Lyme Disease?

Many suggest anyone at risk for exposure should wear long pants, long sleeve shirts,
shoes and socks, and a hat outdoors. In 80 to 90 degree weather that is almost impossible
and may cause heat related illnesses, especially in those working outdoors. I recommend
wearing light colored clothing and doing regular tick checks while outdoors and once
returning home. Clothing can be put into the dryer and heated for twenty minutes to kill
ticks. Insect repellent applied to the skin may help to deter some ticks, but it is not a fool
proof method. I recommend a treatment, such as, Repel Permanone, be applied to
outdoor clothing and equipment (not for use on skin). This product actually kills ticks as
they crawl across treated surfaces, instead of trying to deter them or chase them away. It
is unscented which makes it acceptable to hunters and fishermen. I also suggest using a
yard treatment called Sevin Dust (or liquid) in infested areas with high tick populations.
It can be used where pets run, on the lawn, in the garden, on bushes, and wood piles, as
directed by the manufacturers. It won't kill all of the ticks but it will reduce the numbers
to a more manageable level.

9. Should our family get the new LymeRix vaccine?

I personally do not recommend the current Lyme Rix vaccine be given to anyone. Its
uses are limited in the fight against Lyme Disease and the manufacturers admit it is not
effective in preventing all cases of Lyme Disease. Its long term effects have not been
thoroughly studied, and it is not known if it will work effectively in preventing all of the
various strains of Lyme Disease, or if and when a person will require booster shots. It is
not effective against the other tick born diseases and may give a false sense of security to
those who might otherwise be more alert to ticks. It has been reported, by a number of
people who were given the vaccine, to cause a severe form of arthritis for which there is
no cure. There is a lawsuit pending against the manufacturers by those who have
developed severe Lyme-like symptoms and there are approximately 1,000 documented
reports which have been filed concerning various problems associated with the vaccine.
For more information:

Lots of Links on Lyme Disease- Art Doherty http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/lyme-links.html

LymeNet http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/Ultimate.cgi

[This message has been edited by Tincup (edited 05 August 2004).]

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome article just awesome but I expected it from you!!

------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smileypl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileypl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrific!!!!!!! I just learned some more. And you know what the more people I talk to the more I hear someone they know has lyme. It totally amazes me. Way to go!

------------------

Posts: 378 | From silver spring, MD, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pacbird
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11

Icon 7 posted      Profile for pacbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Tincup....as usual!!!
Posts: 733 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 987

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

YOU ARE AWESOME.

WOW - GREAT JOB !!!!!!!

Thanks from all of us.

Lo
XX

Posts: 187 | From Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

Once again you take the Gold Cup. You have done such a service to so many people, through this article and to people searching for answers. Way to go, awesome education!

Janell

Posts: 919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trishden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 722

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trishden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT GREAT GREAT STORY TINCUP!!!!!!!!
It's inpired me to get off my duff and write, write, write!
Trish

Posts: 305 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chazmyn
Member # 204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chazmyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is what it's like to read an article by a great writer who has lyme. I am awestruck. You are "Yoda". I think this is the best and truest article EVER written. The truth hurts but needs to be told. Tincup, you are brave and strong and true. I am a fledgling jedi looking at a "Master". And curiously... now speechless --- (you know that's unusual for me).

GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait a minute... I thought of something. This has been concerning me and I'm wondering if anyone else has been thinking the same thing. Now that we're getting attention and some public awareness... now that the truth is being told... now that we are learning just how easily (and in such ways) this disease can be communicated (I was shocked but not surprised to hear about the cervix and semen possibilities)... does anybody else think we might become social parana (sp?) soon? Like how AIDS patients were shunned at first. Or is my paranoia showing...

Posts: 1478 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chazmyn
Member # 204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chazmyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEAR HEAR... it gives me great pleasure to take this opportunity to bestow upon one of our own the honorary degree of LLW - Lyme Literate Writer. To become eligible for an LLW a person must be bug bit bad and must write astute articles regarding same and other issues concerning this disease.

Chazmyn
LLW in training

(P.S. This posting has been brought to you courtesty of my mind on Lyme. Opinions and postings written while under the influence of Lyme may bear no resemblence to reality.)

------------------

Posts: 1478 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was worth writing this article JUST to see ya'lls responses here! You are too funny!!!! I am still laughing! And good for you Trishden...DO IT!

Again, as with any Lyme stuff I write...you are welcome to share it, chop it up and use pieces of it, what ever will help you to help others...my copy right release is given freely. My only concern is to help others!

Please guys and gals...if nothing else...copy this article and drop it off at any docs office; it doesn't have to be one you use...just walk in and hand it to the receptionist! Take it to the local golf course, a local park, the local electric company, the library.... ANY WHERE there are folks who work/play outdoors. No need for explanations...just walk in and hand it over and thank them and walk out. I do it all the time. I keep a folder with info in my car so when I do get out, I can do the same. And it does not have to be this article. There is plenty of stuff that is great that you can use! Just PLEASE do it!

And thanks for the comments....you are TOO kind! And Chaz...It IS true! You are NUTS! ~smile~ There I go...laughing again!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newplayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1120

Icon 14 posted      Profile for newplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, sorry a little slow on the draw!! U are receiving a standing ovation from me right now!! And a pat on the back from a job well done. Could u feel that!
Posts: 259 | From Clarkston, MI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup I think chazmyn is losing her mind !! the doctor says it is all in her head but her head is empty!! (just kidding chaz)
you left yourself open for this!! smile
just to fast again!!

------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chazmyn
Member # 204

Yes, I have lost my mind... have you seen it?

If you do find it, make no attempt to capture it yourself, contact "mind control" officials as it is armed with lethal amounts of irony and coated with severe sarcasm.

P.S. to RR/ I finally remembered after a couple hours that comradarie is spelled with an "ie" but it took me about ten hours to remember how to spell piranha. Sob... a mind is a terrible thing to lyme. I feel that as a writer, if I cannot spell, I will soon be sent to the "island of unwanted toys". (Hint: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer went there when he ran away in the cartoon special.) Well... just let me say that this is a fine example of a month's cumulative stress effects on a lyme patient. I have scheduled this week to be stress free - let's see if the world will cooperate. I could soon be back to my former A+ spelling in no time at all.

P.S.S. I have a new theory as to why all that humor made me better. Part of it is oxygen - when you laugh you increase your oxygen input and we know the creepy creatures don't like that. And second, when you're tense your muscles tighten and that aggravates the lyme - when you laugh, you relax and that helps decrease the symptoms. RR you are just TOO funny and TOO fast and TOO sweet and TOO kind and TOO noble and (it appears to me) like you have some strange, direct, connection to my funny bone cause I can't stop LAUGHING!!!!!! (Of course, scientific role models that we are, we should experiment with more jokes to test this theory.)

Edit Note: Correction: It's the island of "misfit" toys, I think.

[This message has been edited by Chazmyn (edited 16 May 2001).]

RoadRunner
Member # 380

thanks chazmyn you are very funny also and you make me laugh!! A connection of what kind???? I will let you answer that one!!
Did you say joke email me and I will send you a joke!!

------------------
"Beep Beep"

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, Tincup! I finally found this "clip, clip, here".......you are a great writer!
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Times a wasting! Any more Lyme Disease Awareness Month projects floating around out there? May is coming to a close!

Lets do it right!

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May Lyme Disease Awareness.. up
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TinCup

My hat is off to you. And I will work on adapting what you wrote for our local paper.

I love it when I do not have to re invent the wheel so to speak.

When I tried to print out the words posted here, they ended up being cut off.

But, I was able to print out the article from the papers web site.

Merci Boucoup!

Gracias Mucho

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this.....standing ovation. Its awesome. I am definetly going to print it out. Just when I think I know everthing you learn me something

Take care
Abbie

------------------
You can only see the stars when its the darkest.................

Posts: 149 | From New City, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for May [Smile]
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo!!
 -

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, how I miss Tinny!

Thanks for bringing this up, Mel. We need to get our letters written ASAP!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, thanks Melanie for resurecting this important info..

Wish the old old gal would take her gone fishing sign back, and return..lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devan726
Member # 8933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devan726     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I became ill again with the effects of Lyme disease, I was on my way to getting my associates degree. I am still currently enrolled and am trying my best to finish out this year and graduate in May. The hardest thing to do is concentrate on my class work. In order to get my credits I had to take a speech communication class. Because of the relapse of lyme, I am doing my next speech in class on Lyme disease. Not many people in CA know about this disease. I hope you don't mind if I use some of your article for my speech. I will make sure to quote your name. You are a terrific writer and very easy to comprehend. Thanks.
Posts: 20 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, would you mind if we sent the whole thing hook, line and sinker to our local newspapers? I would love to attribute it to you, but would I just say it was contributed by you?

I could send this out and what ever else great things people have written, I just don't have the time to write anything and worse yet, I don't have the wits right now.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaking up Tincup's post and double spacing it..

"I had sent in some of my "Lyme Projects" to the newspapers and they have been cut tremendously....But then I am a "TINY bit wordy"
at times! HE HE!

Since they wanted an interview (question and answer form) on the topic...I complied. They sent the questions...I had to answer. Yes, I am happy that it is being printed.

The article below was written for a different paper (not yet submitted, but they have always been kind enough to print my stuff) and similar to the original one I submitted to the other paper...

MAY IS NATIONAL LYME DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH
By Lucy Barnes, aka Tincup

Marsh 2006
Frequently asked questions:

1. What is Lyme disease and who is at risk for getting it?

Lyme Disease is caused by a spirochete (similar to the one that causes syphilis) and can be found in ticks, fleas, horse flies, mosquitoes, and numerous wild and domestic animals, from deer to birds.

Once transmitted to humans, the spirochete (over 300 strains identified to date) causes damage by spreading to various parts of the body.

It can infect any and all organs and tissues in the body. It can cause a multitude of symptoms that can make a person very ill, totally disabled, and/or it can be fatal.

The Maryland Community and Public Health Administration reports that Lyme Disease is ````common in the suburbs''''.

2. Can it be transmitted from person to person?
The spirochete that causes Lyme Disease has been found in:

semen, urine, blood, breast milk, the cervix, spinal fluid, muscle tissues, joint fluids, and other body fluids and tissues.

Those who have Lyme Disease are prohibited from donating blood or organs.

Lyme Disease has also been shown in many cases to be passed from mothers to their unborn children, and to young babies through breast milk. Anyone concerned should take appropriate precautions.

3. What are some of the signs and symptoms of the disease? What are the effects of Lyme disease?

Unless a lay person or doctor is very experienced with Lyme Disease, they may not recognize it until it is too late, and often, not at all.

Lyme has been misdiagnosed as variety of other conditions; such as:

Muscular Sclerosis, Chronic Fatigue, Alzheimers/dementia, Fibromyalgia, Parkinson''s, Lupus, Depression, Encephalitis, (Betty adding ALS, Lou Gehrig's and all mental illnesses) and various forms of arthritis.

The list of possible symptoms is overwhelming and there can be anything from hearing loss to panic attacks surfacing in otherwise healthy individuals as the first indication of Lyme.

Some patients do not recall a tick bite (thought to many never get the typical bulls eye rash or flu-like symptoms that are often associated with early stages of Lyme be the most common form of transmission) and.

Lyme can affect the eyes causing sensitivity to light, floaters, blurry vision, conjunctivitis, and even blindness.

The brain and surrounding tissues can become infected and damage can range from mild to severe.

Often the digestive tract is compromised and people with Lyme can: battle acid reflux, gas, bloating, nausea, diarrhea, cramps, blockage, and pain.

The bladder and reproductive organs are not spared and hormonal and menstrual problems may surface in woman, while swollen testicles and pain may cause problems for men.

The heart and lung problems can range from palpitations and shortness of breath, to heart block and respiratory failure.

There is often brain ````fog'''':

memory problems, confusion, difficulty thinking, and speech difficulties. Depression, severe anxiety, insomnia, and mood swings are common.

Extreme fatigue is usually a constant problem, along with muscle spasms and joint pain.

Even with what is considered appropriate treatment, Lyme Disease patients can have a reoccurrence of symptoms and/or new symptoms may develop.

The thyroid responses can be altered and require adjunct therapy.

Other infections are hard to fight off once the immune system is compromised by the spirochete,
and in turn:

severe yeast infections, sinus problems, asthma attacks, urinary tract infections, colds, kidney infections, and eye infections tend to become more severe and/or more frequent.

The blood sugar levels, blood pressure, pulse, and body temperatures tend to fluctuate, which can cause additional problems. As the spirochetes die off in the human body, toxins develop which can cause a multitude of chronic problems unless treated properly.

There are promising new treatments available to help control or eliminate the toxins. Those being treated for Lyme should be aware of the possibility of a Herxheimer reaction. The ````herx'''', as it is better known, is an increase in the severity of symptoms and often follows the initiation of antibiotic therapy.

The reaction can be mild or very severe and may be confused with an allergic reaction to dication.

4. What should I know about Lyme Disease and tick bites?

here is a great deal of outdated information still floating around that indicates a tick
must be attached for at least 24-48 hours to be able to infect a person.

Unfortunately, this is not the case and many have found out the hard way and are still suffering the consequences. The only way to prevent Lyme is to not come in contact with the spirochete.

However, once in contact with an infected source, the earlier the treatment the better.

Early treatment will not guarantee a cure, but it hopefully will increase the chances of recovery.

Unfortunately, the standard Lyme Disease blood tests (ELISA) that are often used to detect antibodies have a very poor record of detecting the disease and are thought to miss approximately half of the actual cases of Lyme Disease.

They are less expensive than many of the more accurate tests and are commonly used as a screening test by insurance companies over the more specific tests performed at specialty labs.

In addition, the standard 2-3 weeks of antibiotic treatment that was once thought to be adequate to cure Lyme Disease has been shown to not be effective in many patients.

There are no documented long term studies that indicate a short course of antibiotic treatment is able to cure Lyme Disease, and those treated with a short course of antibiotics have been found to relapse, often repeatedly.

If you contract Lyme Disease, not only is immediate treatment appropriate, but enough treatment MUST be provided by a knowledgeable health care provider.

5. What type of treatment is available?

Treatment protocols vary depending on the amount of time between the infection and when treatment begins.

It is also very possible to be co-infected with other tick born illnesses:

(Babesiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Ehrlichiosis, all of which can be fatal, and are found in Maryland) at the same time as contracting Lyme Disease, and this must be considered.

To determine the proper treatment for Lyme Disease, the spirochete load, the persons age, prior health, allergies, length of time between bite and treatment, etc. all must be considered.

According to current guidelines used by doctors familiar with the disease, the early cases should be treated with antibiotics for a minimum of 4-6 weeks,

and late stages usually require a minimum of 4-6 months of treatment, either IV or oral medications, or both.

If treatments are discontinued before all symptoms of Lyme disease have ended, a person can remain ill and relapse. Patients who have been ill for years may require open ended treatment and/or ongoing maintenance therapy to prevent the worsening of symptoms.

There is no current test available to determine if a patient has been cured, so it is extremely important that a doctor very familiar with treating the disease be consulted.

6. What are the long term effects of Lyme Disease?

Patients can relapse with any and all of the original symptoms:

* can develop new symptoms, and can progressively deteriorate as time goes by.

* Many will become unable to exercise, or even to barely walk.

* Speech, writing skills, and communication problems may get worse and many may become bedridden or house bound.

* The brain can be damaged, eyesight and hearing can worsen, severe headaches and neck pain can continue, and muscles and joints can become wasted.

* The heart and lungs can be seriously compromised and the bladder and digestive tract symptoms can worsen.

* Severe depression, anxiety, and panic attacks can continue unchecked.

* Violent rages are noted in some individuals, and overall mental abilities may show a decline.

* The financial burden of Lyme can be devastating with hundreds of thousands of dollars being spent in the pursuit of a diagnosis, the costs of treatment, and follow-up therapy.

* Families have lost their homes, their jobs, and their sanity while trying to deal with all of the effects of the disease.

* Children have been removed from school for years at a time, marriages

* have broken up, and Lyme patients have committed suicide.

* To add to the problems, many insurance companies continue to deny access to proper testing procedures and treatment which further stresses individuals and can worsen their overall health.

7. Has Lyme disease been on the increase locally?

The Center for Disease Control, CDC, requires cases of Lyme disease to be reported; however, they exclude cases that are not serologically confirmed and many seronegative cases are not reported, even though Lyme Disease has always been a ````clinical diagnosis''''.

It is estimated that there are at least ten times the number of cases actually occurring than what are reported each year, and that is a very conservative figure.

To add to the problem, an infected female tick can produce 2 to 5 thousand babies and can be carried into new areas by birds, pets, wildlife, and people, increasing the chance for exposure.

8. What is the best way to prevent Lyme Disease?

Many suggest anyone at risk for exposure should wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, shoes and socks, and a hat outdoors.

* In 80 to 90 degree weather that is almost impossible and may cause heat related illnesses, especially in those working outdoors.

* I recommend wearing light colored clothing and doing regular tick checks while outdoor and once returning home.

* Clothing can be put into the dryer and heated for twenty minutes to kill ticks. Insect repellent applied to the skin may help to deter some ticks, but it is not a fool proof method.

* I recommend a treatment, such as, Repel Permanone, be applied to outdoor clothing and equipment (not for use on skin).

* This product actually kills ticks as they crawl across treated surfaces, instead of trying to deter them or chase them away. It is unscented which makes it acceptable to hunters and fishermen.

* I also suggest using a yard treatment called Sevin Dust (or liquid) in infested areas with high tick populations. It can be used where pets run, on the lawn, in the garden, on bushes, and wood piles, as directed by the manufacturers. It won''t kill all of the ticks but it will reduce the numbers to a more manageable level.

9. Should our family get the new LymeRix vaccine?

I personally do not recommend the current Lyme Rix vaccine be given to anyone.

Its uses are limited in the fight against Lyme Disease and the manufacturers admit it is not effective in preventing all cases of Lyme Disease.

Its long term effects have not been thoroughly studied, and it is not known if it will work effectively in preventing all of the various strains of Lyme Disease, or if and when a person will require booster shots.

It is not effective against the other tick born diseases and may give a false sense of security to those who might otherwise be more alert to ticks. It has been reported, by a number of people who were given the vaccine, to cause a severe form of arthritis for which there is no cure.

There is a lawsuit pending against the manufacturers by those who have developed severe Lyme-like symptoms and there are approximately 1,000 documented reports which have been filed concerning various problems associated with the vaccine.

For more information:
Lots of Links on Lyme Disease- Art Doherty http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/lyme-links.html

LymeNet http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/Ultimate.cgi "

Bettyg ... interesting info thanks TC!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up; I edited & double spaced Tincup's original piece ... lots of good info there!
Betty

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sent this info to newspapers in San Diego and Orange County. Hopefully we will get a response. It was easy to do, just copied, cut and pasted. I would be easy to flood the country with this info for May.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement