LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » gallbladder problems ---> surgery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gallbladder problems ---> surgery?
maeflower21
Member # 4379

Icon 5 posted      Profile for maeflower21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Rocephin for 16 months and then developed gallbladder "sludge."

I stopped the Rocephin right away and two weeks later had an another ultrasound. It still had a lot of sludge in there, so Dr. J wanted me to see a GI doc.

The GI doc said to give it six weeks to clear and if it didn't clear by then, we would have to consult a surgeon. So I had my six week ultrasound yesterday, and the technician said that all the little sludge formed into actual stones. ugh.

I see the GI doc on 4/26 and I wanted to go in knowing my options. Do I have to have the gallbladder removed if it hasn't cleared by now? Or will it clear on its own eventually?

Its not causing alot of pain yet, but I have some aching there occasionally (but I ache everywhere, so its not that noticable.)

I'm starting IM Bicillin next week and I am terrified of that (I have a fear of shots), so the last thing I need to deal with right now is surgery. I hope there is another option...............

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Posts: 56 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u may find this site to help http://69.93.158.250/cleanse/liver/cleansing_or_surgery.asp
Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey
Member # 5570

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Homey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site is very useful--probably explains it all. I've had same problem and am keeping on Actigal and giving it time to resolve itself.
www.chem-tox.com/gallstones/download/gallstoneflush.doc

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musharina
Member # 2149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musharina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. I dont get to post much but afer reading your post, I had to just let you know....

I was also on Rocephin, but for me, it only took 3 weeks and I had a BAD Gall bladder attack where I wound up at the ER. It turned out I had sludge and stones and I wound up in surgery just a week or so later to have it removed. This was just this past January.

My advise? Just do it! You do NOT want to go through a full blown gall bladder attack...take my word for it! That was BAD!

The surgery honestly wasnt that bad. The first....Id say week....wasnt much fun (thats for sure) but after that, it wasnt bad. The worst of it for me wasnt even the pain but the sheer exhaustion!

I was told there is a small chance the stones could disappear, but its rare. Its up to you, obviously, but Id opt to just remove it. And believe me, Im no advocate for surgery

Good luck --- Michele

Posts: 75 | From Long Island, NY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many persons here at LymeNet have avoided GB surgery, even following several bad GB attacks, by use of Actigall. It dissolves most forms of sludge and even gall stones.

Here's an abstract from PubMed which might help you understand what's going on:

Harefuah. 1994 Sep;127(5-6):163-5, 215.

[Sonographic demonstration of pseudo-cholelithiasis after ceftriaxone]

[Article in Hebrew]

Barzilai M.

Radiology Dept., Carmel Medical Center, Haifa.

The term biliary pseudolithiasis was coined by Schaad (1988) to describe the appearance of gallbladder sludge following treatment with ceftriaxone. After cessation of the drug the condition resolves, hence the term "pseudolithiasis." The third generation cephalosporin, cefatriaxone, is a very potent, broad spectrum antibiotic indicated in meningitis, osteomyelitis, pyelonephritis, Lyme disease and many other severe infectious diseases. Up to 46% of those receiving this antibiotic develop gallbladder sludge. Most are asymptomatic, but a small proportion may develop right upper quadrant pain, nausea, vomiting and even cholecystitis. Ultrasonography may demonstrate many, small, echogenic particles within the gallbladder, as well as larger echogenic foci casting acoustic shadows. However, it can not differentiate these pseudostones from real stones. There are reports of surgical intervention in such cases. 2 boys, aged 5 and 10 years, respectively, treated with ceftriaxone for meningitis are presented. Both developed symptoms during treatment and in both gallbladder sludge was identified by ultrasonography. In 1 intraluminal gallbladder findings were identical with the appearance of surgical stones. Follow-up ultrasonography after the drug was stopped showed no evidence of pseudostones in either case. Awareness of this phenomena might save many unnecessary operations.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 7995584 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey
Member # 5570

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Homey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say that having your gallbladder out is no big deal, just like appendicitus, an unneeded organ. But I have read that the gallbladder, like the appendics, is part of the immune system. I have also read that when removed, bile, which is usually stored in the gallbladder and released after eating, is released constantly into the stomach and that this constant drippage increases the risk of stomach cancer.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try and avoid it if you can. Many physical therapists feel the gall bladder is a major stress processor, and when it is removed, the stress will just transfer to other areas of the body. I've got humungous gallstones from rocephin and a lifetime of pizza for breakfast, and have experienced a complete reversal of symptoms with actigall, herbs and yoga. That may not be right for you, but at least be aware there might be other options.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you go under the knife...try this!
I'd give it longer than 6 weeks to clear out, especially if you were on IV that long.

You may need multiple flushes. Ahhhh!!
http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/default.asp

------------------
Lyme Disease Help
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The natural approach can be helpful, but I didn't do that myself. I took actigall for 3 months and am now off of it. My symptoms are not bad at all now, but I know the stones are still there!

Hopefully, the sludge has cleared out and I got rid of some of the small stones. Anyway, I'm trying to avoid the surgery if I can.

I'm watching what I eat all the time. Easy on the fat and no caffeine, chocolate, or spicy foods!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeezixdoc
Member # 5027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeezixdoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's my two cents:

Don't rush into any surgery, although I think it's good to consult with a reliable surgeon. Normally the gallbladder is only removed if absolutely necessary. Absolutely necessary, of course, can mean different things to different people.

One reason is if the stones, or pseudostones if you'd like, get stuck in the cystic duct (that runs from the gallbladder into the common bile duct, that then runs into the duodenum and dumps the bile into the intestine). This can cause an inflammed/infected gallbladder and is an indication for it's removal.

Another reason is if the stones get stuck in the common bile duct, which can cause a serious infection in the duct. This is life-threatening as toxins back up into the liver.

Another reason is simply the chronic pain associated with stones sticking and then passing through the ducts, without causing any infections.

My thought is that those who have stones or sludge from Rocephin are not forming new stones all the time as are those with the more common forms of gallbladder problems. (that is...if the Rocephin has been discontinued). Therefor, if the drug is stopped and the sludge has a chance to be disolved with drugs and/or any other form of therapy, that should be given a good chance. This is all depedent upon the patient being able to tolerate well any pain associated with the condition and being careful and watchful for any signs of infection/inflammation.

Hope this helps in some way.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maeflower21
Member # 4379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeflower21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all of your help.

I have written down all of your suggestions so I am ready for my appt. I will update on the results of the appt on Monday.

Posts: 56 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement