LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » teeth problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: teeth problems
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know i have treated more people on the lyme net than i have in 23 years of dental practice. this is hard work.i am always here to help just email me if you guys have any questions i will answer everybody except really, really stupid questions, just kidding.
how do you keep a dentist quiet while he's working on your mouth, tell him you have lyme and if he doesn't stop small talking then your going to bite him and turn him into a vampire

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doc Dave,
I have had some minor success with use of listerene soaking the painful areas of my teeth. Booze works in a similar fashion but is not desirable given the other meds I take.
Would ice on the outside of the effected area help? How about the toothpaste for sensitive teeth (sensodyne or colgate)?
Is there anything alternatively harmless and longer lasting?
thanks in advance.... the zman

------------------

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

i find sensodyne and sensodyne only takes the pain away.
use as follows:
put 1 inch on your finger and rub it into your teeth espeially at the gum line. let it sit for 5-10 mins then brush as normal.
this allows the medis to "soak into" the teeth better . takes 2 weeks of this twice a day to get relief from pain but it does work,i've used it myself. i have had 2 lyme root canals that i did not make the connection with until after i started on the lymenet.

Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anything special a Lyme patient need to do when going to the dentist? I'm going next month for a check up and if I need a filling or something do I need to tell her I have Lyme or is it business a usual?
Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

you should inform the dds that you have lyme disease and have a compromised immune system. lidocaine should be fine as long as he aspirates the syringe, pull back slightly, so that he's not in the vein.
most in fact 99.9% of dentists have no idea about lyme disease. the only reason i know is because i have had it chronically for 10 years. you must educate your dds and all healthcare providers of the seriousness of lyme disease and its potential sysmptoms.
at this point in time materials that should not be used ,my opinion only not the ada,
amalgam,copalite Ether base
formocresol and parachlorophenol root canal meds
non precious crown alloy under porcelain.
would recommend all porcelain crown or porcelain to gold both more expensive but both more biocompatible.
questionable eugenol oil of cloves used in many cements and temp cements.
composite fillings are ok not great but just about the only thing dentists have to work with. porcelain fillings ok but expensive.
composite fillings are weak and will need to be replaced about 4-5 times more often than amalgam, but no mercury, the juries still out on that.
meds are inportant let him know what your takingand for what.
if you have developed mitral valve prolapse from lyme disease then you need abx prior to dental treatment since the bacteria in the mouth can spread down the neck to the damaged heart valve. VERY IMPORTANT TO PREMEDICATE WITH HEART VALVE, RHEUMATIC FEVER OR MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE.
I USED TO PREMEDICATE PATIENTS WITH ANYTHING ARTIFICIAL IN THERE BODY SINCE BACTERIA ATTACH THE WEAKEST PARTS WHICH ARE THE ARTIFICAL ONES.
there is no contraindication of going to the dentist and good to have your gums and teeth checked BEFORE major problems occur.

Sick of Ticks
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick of Ticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if it is common with lyme disease to have teeth that are browning around the gum line and it looks like tarter or decay. This has never happened before my teeth use to be sparkling white. Is this from the antibiotics or the lyme?? what do i do to stop this from happening.
Thanks, Nancie

------------------

Posts: 1 | From Poughkeepsie, NY, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

nancy sent email need more info
liz28
Unregistered

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but oil of cloves is great for tooth pain. I can't get my wisdom teeth out because of Lyme, and they get really sore, so when they act up I rub on the clove oil and it helps right away.
docdave130
Unregistered

yes oil of cloves is great topically for tooth pain .
oil of cloves has been used in dentistry for 100 years as a sedative filling material and base under deep fillings.
there are questions of if the eugenol is damaging to the nerve or not .
many dds use it but micro studies shows it causes inflamation not repair so i put it as a questionable material

Lizzie J
Member # 5168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzie J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy,,

I have the same problems with my teeth turning brown!!!

Posts: 90 | From nowhere, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc, Sensodyne works, but it tastes vile! Crest sensitivity is the lesser of 2 evils IMHO
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SandiB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1557

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SandiB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This maybe a little off the subject, but I thought I would interject this information under this topic.
Do you know that the infection H-Pylori thrives in your mouth. It can cause serious gum problems there, plus reseed your digestive system with the infection. Probably one reason H-Pylori is so difficult to eradicate. Gastrointestinal ailments, including ulcers and cardiovascular disease have been connected to this infection.
There is an interesting article on it at the following website for those of you who are interested. http://www.life enhancement.com/article_print.asp?ID=946&type=

SandiB

Posts: 991 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do some research on Xylitol tooth paste, gum and other dental products. It destroys the damaging microorganism very effectively and it is highly recommended by knowledgable alternative physicians.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

for some reason i have found that sensodyne works better than crest or colgate with the same ingrediants. i don't know why but it just seemed to work better on my patients.
there are new sensodyne flavor which aren't as vile as the old sensodyne and work very well.
rinsing with listerine for 2-3 minutes(i know yuk) does reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth prior to brushing. there are new listerines also.also good for gum disease bacteria.
yes xylitol products do reduce the bacteria that cause tooth decay and are in most sugar free gums, mints and toothpastes.

docdave130
Unregistered

i'm still researching the brown stains
a list aof all medications and otc products would be very helpful.
the only abx that i know causes tooth staining are the tetracylines,doxy, mino
they will permanently stain the teeth at age 4-8 when the permanent teeth are developing this is a permanent stain that is actually in the enamel and can be gray, yellow ,brown or orange. bleaching can partially remove it. many children with chronic ear infections are given tetracyline and it stains there developing teeth.
the cyclins don't stain permanent teeth.i don't know of any abx that stain permanent teeth.
the only thing that i know that stains teeth badly is peridex (chlorohexidine)
used as a periodontal rinse. these stains can be removed with a hygienist cleaning.
the new electric toothbrushes are great.
i use the sonicare elite and it cleans my teeth 3 times as well as a normal toothbrush and also massages the gums to stimulate them.
i'll keep looking but please send info on meds so i can narrow it down

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc, my dentist put me on Fluoride tablets until age 30. He now has me using a topical gel &/or Act at bedtime.

Is there any benefit or harm to additional Fluoride use past the age of 30?

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

unless you believe flouride is a commy plot
then fl is fine at ant age at moderate dose.
it leaches into the tooth structure and binds with the ca ions in enamel.
fl after age thirty is ok because it reduces tooth decay especially with people taking decongesants, antidepressants, cardiac meds, radiation therapy for cancer near the mouth or any other med that reduces the flow of saliva( dry mouth).
with a decrease in the saliva, the bacteria have a field day attacking the teeth and causing severe cavities, especially at the
gum line.these root surface cavities are extremely hard to repair because they redecay very rapidly.
IMPORTANT INFO:
if you are taking anything that is drying your mouth, then you should be drinking lots of water,no sugar intake and flouride rinses a must. also artificial saliva is available and xylitol tart hard candies stimulate the saliva glands.also must brush after eating anything, it might have hidden sugars not obvious.
the saliva ,even though filled with bacteria actually wash the bacteria from sticking to the teeth and causing decay.
without slaiva flow the teeth are extremely susceptible to decay and even gum disease.

Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you are looking into fl. They are fighting putting flouride in the water even though it is happening. So many have made huge deal about flouride health hazards. Warranted or not??

Since young had soft teeth would break so easy my dad`s did same. Mom on other hand hardly a cavitiy. But gum disease & she is fanatic about her teeth always. Is this inheritied?? Her brother at 18 had all teeth removed due to gum disease.

Also when you are broke from this DD & other prob. that I have. Already have a flipping fortune in my mouth plus quite few teeth were pulled back when. I have a broken tooth in back. Told them just to pull it do to expense. They inssist I need since it is used for chewing.

Being vein, I need to put the money into front teeth if I do anything.

Can I just teach myself to chew with the other teeth. Just as had buck teeth as child I pushed them back in with thumb. They are fine just have cavities. ( Got scared when they told me doc. told me would be a silve mouth,lol)

I hate having anymore pulled especially since dentist pulled wrong tooth 1 time.

Have no income now, can`t even afford treatment for lyme & ins. is no help. I am on SSD. Already sold big home,boat,possessions just to survive. So they are talking about 10,000 grand of work.

That is 2 yr. of income right now since live on less than 400. mo. Having just 1 tooth done is 3 mo. income. Plus bridge, they said was about 5,000 grand. That was another error made & had to be removed.

What is my best root, little dental punn,lol..??????

I used to have a reliable dentist in Atl. he was great. Have not found 1 here totally trust. This guy told me had to have tooth crowned for 1,0000. Went to FL. dental they filled it for $90.00. He said it could not be filled, hmmmmm???? He is just on a plan offerred so can get teeth cleaned free.

My bonding on front tooth was also botched on 1. Do I have to go full deal to fix. Is starting to look funny???

Thank you so for you time. Know it is valuable. If I can help you here in fl. let me know....You will love it... Much less work when you are not well.

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Thanks Doc, you're a wealth of oral info.

I did notice that thrush became more of a problem while using the fluoride rinses. Must be the Sorbitol?

docdave130
Unregistered

hey,
the ada has set up programs all over the country for people with minimal income.
you should contact your local dental society, most aave dentists that donate there time and materials to treat patients with little income. I am not trying to belittle you about your income in fact I am quite sorry that lyme has put you in this position.
my wife almost left me because she thought I was faking and just didn't want to work.
so I do feel sorry for you.
there are many programs available in most fields of medicine that the societies have set up for people on ssdis. you might want to call your local ss office and find out about all the programs available to you in your area. you may also find it online at the ss website. there are also drug programs from the drug companies that get you drugs for little or no cost. do a search on lymenet I know somebody recently posted about the program.
try these websites for now let me know where you live and maybe I could narrow it down for you. the second is a good place to start.
you can also do a search for any service eyes,feet,medical, all these local societies have help for you. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/data/session/2000/senate/budget_issues/SENReq670.htm http://www.floridadental.com/public/outreach/project_clinics.html
http://www.health.co.hernando.fl.us/Dental/dental-main.html

good luck hunting and get back with me if things work out
docdave

GiGi
Member # 259

Fluoride Links Page
Fluoride Links Page. ... The Fluoride Debate: A response to the American Dental
Association's booklet, "Fluoridation Facts" www.fluoridedebate.com. ... www.mercola.com/article/links/fluoride_links.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told? 2/9/02
Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told? ... Foulkes then wrote a 2000 page report
and recommended that legislation begin to make fluoride mandatory in Canada. ... www.mercola.com/2002/feb/9/fluoride_safety3.htm - 72k - Cached - Similar pages

Dentists Cause Cavities
... Significantly more children had decayed teeth in the high fluoride
area than in the other two areas," write authors Grobler, et al. ... www.mercola.com/2001/sep/26/ dentists_cause_cavities.htm - 26k - Apr 23, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Canadian Dental Association Advises AGAINST Fluoride Supplements ...
... Fluoridation. Other Fluoride News. Ireland considering ending mandatory
water fluoridation. ... library. Related Fluoride Information: ... www.mercola.com/2000/aug/13/fluoride_supplements.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told? 2/2/02
... Let's start at the beginning. What Is Fluoride? Fluorine is an element. ... Fluoride
Changes The Shape Of The Enzymes So That They No Longer Fit. ... www.mercola.com/2002/feb/2/fluoride_safety.htm - 53k - Cached - Similar pages

European Countries Banning the Use of Fluoride 9/18/02
European Countries Banning the Use of Fluoride. Because of health concerns,
Belgium banned the sale of fluoride supplements to prevent ... www.mercola.com/2002/sep/18/europe_fluoride.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoride in the Water Increases Hip and Bone Fractures
... A recently published study has found that the risk of having a hip fracture greatly
increases when elevated levels of fluoride are present in the water. ... www.mercola.com/2001/jun/2/fluoride.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Baycol - Another Fluoride Drug Bites the Dust
Baycol - Another Fluoride Drug Bites the Dust. By Andreas Schuld and
Wendy Small Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children (PFPC). Yet ... www.mercola.com/2001/aug/18/fluoride_drugs.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

The Dentist's Tale 10/22/00
... Fluoride can kill. ... For many years, like all the other dentists he knew, Lester
believed that fluoride in the drinking water was good for everyone. ... www.mercola.com/2000/oct/22/dentists_tale.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told? 2/6/02
... Freud, Fraud, And Fluoride. ... of America." - Congressman AL Miller. Fluoride
And The Atomic Bomb. It gets darker. You may want to go for popcorn here. ... www.mercola.com/2002/feb/6/fluoride_safety2.htm - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: listerine. They made it milder several years ago. Still...it concerns me. I don't know. I just don't know.

Go here:
http://www.wealthpartners.net/pdf/0518.pdf

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

The Absurdities of Water Fluoridation 12/18/02
The Absurdities of Water Fluoridation. By Paul Connett, PhD. Water
fluoridation is a peculiarly American phenomenon. It started ... www.mercola.com/2002/dec/18/water_fluoridation.htm - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoridation Revisited 3/10/01
Fluoridation Revisited. By Murray N. Rothbard. Edited ... groups. www.lewrockwell.com.
Why is the Media Finally Paying Attention to Fluoridation? ... www.mercola.com/2001/mar/10/water_fluoridation.htm - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoridation of Water Supply Rejected by Residents and Other ...
... One of the Aldermen attended a board meeting wearing a "Vote No To Fluoridation"
T-shirt. ... No Increase in Cavities After Ending Water Fluoridation. ... www.mercola.com/2000/aug/27/fluoridation.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Facts About Fluoridation You Did Not Know 1/30/02
... 98% Of Western Europe Has Rejected Water Fluoridation. ... (5). New evidence
suggests that fluoridation is either unnecessary or doesn't work. ... www.mercola.com/2002/jan/30/fluoridation_facts.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoridation and Arsenic: The Hidden Hazards Behind the Faucet
Fluoridation and Arsenic: The Hidden Hazards Behind the Faucet. Ninety
percent of the fluoride we use to fluoridate US water systems ... www.mercola.com/2001/jun/30/fluoride.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoridation Halted - Cavities Decrease 10/29/00
Fluoridation Halted - Cavities Decrease. When several regions in the
former East Germany halted the artificial fluoridation of their ... www.mercola.com/2000/oct/29/fluoride_cavities.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Scientists Find Fluoridation Outdated & Question Its Morality
Scientists Find Fluoridation Outdated & Question Its Morality. Fluoridation
may ... Fluoridation does have risks. "Fluoridation increases ... www.mercola.com/2001/dec/22/fluoridation.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

The Big Lie: Fluoridation Helps the Poor 8/14/02
The Big Lie: Fluoridation Helps the Poor. By Paul Connett, PhD. Time
and time again, promoters of fluoridation - from the US Surgeon ... www.mercola.com/2002/aug/14/fluoridation_lie.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

What You Never Expected to Hear About Water Fluoridation 9/10/03
What You Never Expected to Hear About Water Fluoridation. ... It sounds crazy, but that
is exactly what is happening in the United States with water fluoridation. ... www.mercola.com/2003/sep/10/water_fluoridation.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Fluoridation Increases Lead Absorption In Children
Fluoridation Increases Lead Absorption In Children. ... So water fluoridation
may prove to cause tooth decay rather than prevent it. ... www.mercola.com/ 1999/archive/fluoridation_increases_lead_absorption_in_children.htm - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Thanks for the info Gigi. I had a feeling you might chime in when the Fluoride issue was mentioned.
docdave130
Unregistered

i personally think dr. mercola is a quack.
he has information on his web site that is not true, not helpful , and leading people in the wrong direction. he is an instigator of trouble, and is only in it for the money he makes off his web pages.
he has some useful inforamtion, but almost everything on his website contradicts current established practices in medicine and the ama. i would take his information and disect it with a surgical knife before I believed anything on his website.
He feeds on peoplpe in hopeless situations that will try anything to get better.
If you guys think i'm wrong and want to ban me from this website ,then let me know and Dr. mercola can answer your questions, and who knows maybe he will cure you all

kam01
Member # 5558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam01   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
liz28, you said you couldn't get your wisdom teeth pulled due to lyme. why is that? I had two of mine pulled a few years ago (in 2002) because my jaws kept swelling and I was getting gum infections and mouth sores a lot. I was symptom free at the time and I went through it with no problems. I still have jaw pain and still get sores on the inside of my mouth and my symptoms are much worse now than they were then. I was just wondering why you could not have them pulled.

kam01

Posts: 16 | From Jackson, MO USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

hey
interesting stuff on wisdom teeth.
during my residency i probably removed 400 wisdom teeth fuuly impacted, partial impaction, in the mouth exposed. this was a general dentist residency but we had no oral surgery resident so we did the impactions with iv sedation.
interesting thing is that this was 1979 and after every extraction of wisdom teeth we placed a resorbable material soaked in tetracyline and gave decadron (steroid) in the iv had almost never had any post op infections or problems.
recently they just started using a cord with teracylcine to put in the gums to clear up gum disease.
I have always wondered why, since this worked so effectively for extractions that iit is not in general use with the oral surgeons. this would stop the cavitations,, actually called residual cyts,and kill the bacteria still in the infected tooth pocket.
i must write to the oral surhgery society and find out why.

lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abx seems to stain my teeth at the gum area, also, I think.

Doxy was, of course, the worse, and the hygenist herself had a terrible time on two of my back teeth from the staining. I'm on Ceftin now.

Doc, since I drink hot green tea every day, I'm wondering if that's the reason. Coffee doesn't seem to stain mine.

I also use Opalescence whitening about every six weeks with forms I had made at the dental office. It seems to help, but at Walmart, I bought a dental excavator and the scraping at the gum line helps the most. I'm super careful with that!

Do you think it's the tea, as I never used to drink green tea?

Thanks.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem with brown teeth as others noted. On my teeth, it is worse at the gum and gets lighter brown as it goes up the tooth.

I would have to question this being caused by abx because I am not on them yet and have had this problem for a long time. I don't smoke or drink a lot of coffee. I do, however, have lots of teeth problems & very weak enamel.

Just some thoughts.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement