LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alpha Lipoic Acid for Chelation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alpha Lipoic Acid for Chelation?
Lymelighter
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5310

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will ALA, or Cilantro & Chlorella chelate metals such as Mercury without a strong chelating agent like DMSA, DMPS? I'd prefer to do a "natural" chelation if possible, yet if they're not efficacious, it seems unproductive.

I've read a number of sites and studies on the subject but I'm still perplexed. There's pro & cons to both DMSA & DMPS.

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump time
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymelighter,

In the book by Andy Cutler on amalgam illness, it has a chart about the different ways to get rid of mercury. One of the things it says is that ALA can be used alone if this is the route you want to take. I think it says that this takes a little longer. (This is the route I personally am going to take.)

It gives you the different options for chelation and how you should expect to feel and how long you should expect to feel that way. I highly recommend the book. I will look and try to post what the chart says about chelation agents when I get home tonight or in the morning.

Unfortunately I am at work in a windowless office on this beautiful day. I wanna go home!!!!

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Catrina, I appreciate the info. Sorry to hear you're at work on a sunny day. Hopefully you'll get home before the sun sets.

Ps. Glad to hear you're well enough to keep working.

Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about "well enough to work." But I don't have any other choice or any other income so it's a "do the best you can" situation at this time.

Just like everyone I have good days and some really terrible, horrible bad ones where I feel like I'm not going to make it.

Today and yesterday have been the first two good days I have had in months. Sure wish I could figure out what I did to have them, so I could do it again.

Will try to post that info for you as soon as I can.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! You might check into a product by Nature's Sunshine. They have a "Heavy Metal Detox" blend which includes alpha lipoic and kelp, etc. I've been taking it for about 3 months. I have no idea whether or not it works!

I have Cutler's book but haven't had time to read it!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cat
Member # 5595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry it took so long to post this. I had computer problems and then couldn't find the info I was looking for.

The book "Amalgam Illness" by Andrew Cutler is fairly huge and has literally a ton of very valuable info. He is a chemist and some of the stuff is very, very, very far above my head, but as a whole it is very readable. He repeats the info a lot of different ways which is great for me (because it takes a couple of 100 times for me to retain anything).

Anyway, what he says about using the ALA is that: If you don't use the DMPS or DMSA with the ALA, then the treatment is not as comfortable (due to symptoms) and will take longer but it will still work.

I think the reason he recommends the DMPS or the DMSA is as a way to relieve some of the symptoms caused by mercury leaving the system. Still, just not for me. Not saying anything is wrong with it, just my personal choice.

He does, however, have massive listings of supplements, herbs, etc. to take which I am going to try to follow more or less based on what I think I need.

He does not recommend using cilantro or chlorella. For the cilantro, he says that he is not saying that it does not work, he is just saying that there is not enough research to establish the proper amount, etc. for a beneficial amount.

I could find no reference to the chlorella other than he didn't recommend it, so that one I don't know.

I don't know if I will use either of these as I haven't gotten far enough in the process to decide. However, it is a great book and excellent source of info.

Lymetoo, I must tell you that I did "lots" of skipping around in the book picking out the sections I wanted to read first. Then I went back and tried to read it straight through. Pretty dry!!! Those tables and charts were way far more than I could understand. So I just skipped all of that!!

Also, since this guy is a chemist, he leans more heavily towards using prescription medications (and he says this about himself in the book) than I would choose. I will always choose herbs, vitamins, supplements & such first, if given the choice.

This is just my humble opinion and way of looking at things.

CAT

Posts: 61 | From SE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used just ALA to get rid of the mercury after having all my amalgams removed and it did work.

I had lots of problems with side effects at first and had to take just 15mg every 4 hours day and night for 3 days with 4 off (or more).

Once I had got to 80 mg every 4 hours without any illeeffects I stopped it, plus the toxic hair analysis showed only a tiny amount present plus all the minerals were back in range.

The previous year prior to chelation I showed high in mercury and over the range plus the minerals were all over the place.

It was one of the things I have done in order to get well.

Posts: 146 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Thanks Cat & Lil. that info is very helpful.

Cat, I hope you have a few days off and some nice weather to boot.

Cat
Member # 5595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I do have a few days off. Today is cloudy & rainy which is what I love. Sunlight hurts my eyes too much. So today is a good day.

Lil, thanks for posting about the ALA. Although I have read numerous things about it working by itself, it's good to actually hear from someone that it has worked for.

This place has so much info. I love it.

CAT

Posts: 61 | From SE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement