LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Questions about Mercury Amalgam Removal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about Mercury Amalgam Removal
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting ready to have my mercury fillings removed pretty soon and have some questions. I know that there are two different camps on this issue but for my own peace of mind I need to have this done. I have read both the Huggins book and the Cutler book and have found a dentist who follows the correct protocol.

I read a recent post by docdave130 and it prompted me to start thinking about this in relation to LD. I did not realize that those with LD have so many things they need to be wary of.

I just want to know if those of you who have had this done have any specific advice for me or could share your experience.

Also, I know in the past when I went to the dentist and was injected with novocaine, it always made my heart flutter, made me short of breath and made me feel dizzy. Of course, my previous dentist told me it was "all in my head." (If only I had a nickel for every time I've heard that.) Have any of you ever had this kind of reaction during a dental procedure?

Thanks for any help.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CAT!

If you're going to a biological dentist, he'll test you to see what the best method for chelation is for you. I have the same problem with novacaine. I have it written on my chart- NO EPINEPHRIN. There are other local anesthetics (sp?) that can be used, they just don't last as long. My dentist has had to stop in the middle of a procedure to give me another shot. Not fun but it sure beats the alternative

Good Luck and Take Care...Terri

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lyma Bean for your response.

Is there any specific anesthetic I should ask for or is there one that might be less toxic than others? Do you know what your dentist uses?

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't know what he uses. Just specify that you don't want one containing epinephrin. That's what causes the reaction.
Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks much for your help!!

CAT

docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the dentist should follow several procedures.
1) your reation is quite common reation, and happens all the time to dentists. it could never happen to a patient then all of the sudden bam you get a reation.
it is from the epinephrine(adrenaline) in the lidocaine.
it is used for vasoconstriction to allow the lidocaine a longer numbing time for working. It is a must for extractions and most root canals bebcause it is the on anesthetic that gets youtotally numb for the procedure. When given the dds must aspirate to syringe to make sure that is not in a blood vessel, if it is he should back up slightly aspirate again and inject very slowly. this will revent 90% of those reactions. It is called a vasovagal response which means the blood vessels in the body constrict and you get to much epi in your system so you body goes into the fight or flight mode and actually increases more adrenaline.most people are scared going to the dentist and this little i mean very little epi is enough to cause this response since you epi level is high going into the office.
if you a terrified of the dentist,then you should take a half of valium, xanax or whatever, enough to relax you but to inhibit your driving.
2)3% mepivcaine or carbocaine ,same, without vasoconstrictor is the second choice if you get this reaction.
it's onset is much quicker than lidocaine,numbness only lasts at most 30-45 minutes and don't get as profound numbness.
ok for most prodcedures and fillings.
you will find the tests for mercury are done incorrectly and you probably have a false positive. they give you a chelating agent when they run the test, this binds with all heavy metals in your body, which your body needs most of these heavy metals normally, and makes the results much higher than normal.a simple blood test is the only thing that should be run. this shows the actual heavy metals in your system.
i was a dentist for 23 years working with raw mercury prior to premade capsules, took out thousands of fillings before face masks, and didn't use rubber dams or high speed suction and my heavy metals were all normal.if anybody should have high mercury,and heavy metals it should be me.
make sure that the dentist uses a rubber dam, high speed drill, irrigation and high speed suction to remove the fillings, they should also wear masks and goggles.
docdave

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Thanks for your response docdave130. I will print this out so that I can take it with me.

I am not frightened of the dentist so I guess I must be in the 10% that the aspiration and slow injection does not work for because I always have this reaction no matter how slowly they inject.

Also, I previously asked the dentist about all the procedures you mentioned (drill, suction, masks, etc.) and this dentist does use all those things.

Thanks for your help.

CAT

Catrina
Member # 5344

I hadn't thought of having that response in other situations. But thanks for bringing it up.

You know, you would think that with so many people having this kind of reaction (as evidenced by reports of people on this site alone) that when it happened to someone, they wouldn't simply say "It's all in your head." It must just be an easy out.

Wouldn't you think after so many people told them they were having reactions that the light would come on in their head? But no, that would be too easy. Oh, well.

BTW, I do not have a fear of needles, docs, etc. either but when I get that injection and become unable to breathe, it makes me a little nervous!!!

CAT

docdave130
Unregistered

when i was in practice, it was office protocol that once a patient had a reaction to epi then the staff and I were to assume that you will always have a reaction .
this info was placed with a red sticker on the chart NO EPI.when the assistants set up for the patient there were able to see on the chart the they were suppose to use carbocaine instead of lidocaine. for some reason they don't make lidocaine plain, which is the stardard for all local anesthetic. the dentist would always check behind the assistant for safety measures.
if in doubt at all then don't use epi.

heroinesjourney
Member # 4999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heroinesjourney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Catrina,

I'm also in the process of having my fillings removed. I am having to learn to have patience with the process.

I have quite a few and thought I would be able to have them out quickly. It's not working that way at all.

I'm finding I can only have so much dental work done...one at a time instead of the two I thought. My system can handle just so much.

I am also having to wait several weeks between appointments to let my body heal and adust. Then invariable something will come up and I'll have to reschedule...

So, I don't know how many you have but if you have a few it might take longer than you'd like.

It feels right to be having it done and I am looking forward to the day when I have a mouth free of mercury!!

Good luck with the process...
Heroine

Posts: 45 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catrina, please read some of my posts re testing for mercury and heavy metals. A blood test is not a good indicator, because mercury does not live/stay in the blood. It lives in tissue/joints/brain - not in the blood.

The info I have posted over the last few years re mercury, etc. comes from a practicing physician - see www.neuraltherapy.com who has helped thousand of people detox the metals put into people by dentists who do not know any better and sadly some are still doing it today.

20some% of Canadian dentists are on disability as determined by the Canadian Government who dared take a count! That should tell you all. So be very careful - see only a biological dentist, a dentist who is aware of the utter destruction mercury causes. One of the main reasons Lyme disease can take such a hold are the mercury/heavy metals. Once I got rid of mercury and dental infections caused by them, by root canals, etc., I got rid of Lyme.

Learn all you can.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texjb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texjb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catrina,

Last August, 2003 I had 12 high copper mercury amalgems removed by Dr. Hal Huggins and team in a 3.5 hr IV sedation surgery. Then I did Vit C IV detoxs & accupressure for a week with the Huggins Team. The surgery went flawlessly and I felt better 1 hour after surgery than I had in months - I actually ate steak in a restaurant 2 hrs after surgery.

I don't recommend getting one amalgem out at a time when you can do them all at once with a Bio dentist and a rubber dam, etc... and detox right away. You may do more harm than good going one at a time and "having to recover". Make sure you are going to the right dentist who knows all of this-

JB

Posts: 126 | From abilene, tx | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cat
Member # 5595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! What a pain! For some reason my home computer would not recognize my name & password so I had to register again to post. Anyway . . .

Thanks, Gigi for the info. I have read many of your past posts, but do not recall reading any about the testing procedures. I will have to do a search and check this out as well. I will also check out the link you sent. I am truly trying to learn as much as I can.

I love hearing that you got well. I have felt bad for so long. It is only in the past month or so that I have begun to believe that I might actually have a chance to feel like a "normal" person again or at least to feel better than I do at present.

As far as having all my fillings out at once, I would love to have it done that way. Unfortunately my insurance company will only pay a limited amount and since I have to go out of state to the LLMD and I still have questions about how much insurance will pay for this, I don't see how I could even consider it at this time. One income only goes so far (and it's never far enough).

How fortunate you were, JB, to have Dr. Huggins (someone who is an expert on this subject) for your care. I am certainly envious. I have not yet seen the new dentist that I have chosen but have spoken extensively with their office and they seem to know what they are doing. I will reserve judgment until after my visit.

Thanks for all the advice and info. I learn a little more each day. Here's hoping I can remember at least some of it!!!

CAT

Posts: 61 | From SE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I had all my fillings safely removed 18 months ago but it took 10 months in all to get them removed.

It didn't make any difference to my health at the time but I did chelate safely using Andy Cutler's protocol and alpha lipoic acid.

There wasn't much difference in my health until I had my thyroid and adrenals treated. That made an enormous difference to my health and immune system.

Now I am well and even if I still have got borrelia and co-infections in my body they are no longer making me sick.

I am convinced having all that mercury taken out and getting it out of my body and brain gave me the chance to recover my health. However without Armour plus 25 mcg T4 and 2.5 mg Prednisone I wouldn't be well. So always check out the adrenals and thyroid if you don't get the improvement you hoped for - that could be the key.

All the symptoms of underactive thyroid/adrenals are identical to those of Lymes disease and I often think on this list that many people have got adrenal and thyroid problems that aren't treated and then blaim Lyme disease.

I have proved this because if I change my thyroid meds and come off Armour all the old familiar symptoms come straight back and I can feel as bad as ever.

Posts: 146 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

maye you should look at theses sites rather than the sites listed above for your mercury testing. chelated urine removes most of the mercury out of the system and is almost always going to be high and positive. thies is usually a false positive and not accurate enough to remove all your fillings and go thru celation.there is also a placebo effect after celation that you your body thinks its better because all the toxiins are gone but this usually doesn't continue for long. www.drcranton.com/mercury/mercurytesting.htm http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/mercurytests.html

docdave130
Unregistered

you must be careful as a non health professional on the sites that you find on the internet. there are a million sites with a million different answers, some legitimate some not.
dr mercola's site has lots of wrong and unsubstantiated information.his site is there to make money like many sites.
the american association of neuraltherapy is also a site that has a lot of misinformation. this is a made up site, a made up association and has no affiliation with any hospitals, institutions, ama or any medical realm of real medicine.these drs make up these sites to prowl on the weakness and the desperate nature of people.
you should be looking at sites that are within the realm of practical medicine and not a potion sealing doctors.

Cat
Member # 5595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
docdave130, I checked out the first link you sent. Let me just say that in no way, shape fashion or form will I have any kind of "challenge" test, DMPS, DMSA or otherwise. I have not as yet had any kind of testing for heavy metals.

Having my fillings removed is a personal, very very long-deliberated choice. You probably think I am "nuts" or "desperate", but that is far from the case. I have done massive amounts of research, read the "real medicine" sites and well as the "quack" sites, thought long and hard about this issue, and come to the conclusion that this is what I want to do. If I am "nuts", so be it.

Very respectfully, I say this to you. On the drcranton site, it states that it is true that there is no "good" level of mercury. It is a toxin. This is the very reason why I want the fillings gone. I have been sick for so long and I want to give my body every possible chance to heal. ANY toxin (particularly one I can get rid of or at least reduce), in my opinion, is detrimental to that chance.

The article says that tens of millions of people can live in good health and without toxic symptoms at a tolerably low level of mercury. BUT, if there is no "good" level of mercury, how can anyone possibly know what problems the mercury is causing, even if it is not readily apparent. A toxin is a toxin.

And even though those tens of millions may live okay with it, what difference does that make if you are the one person in ten million that cannot. My level of mercury may be exactly the same as someone who does tolerate it, but that does not mean my body reacts the same way as their body does.

Yes, I am a non-health professional, but I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and well-read. The neurological symptoms I have developed in the past year are what have caused me to go on a search for something to get my health back. I have many physical symptoms as well, but all the doctors I have seen have always written them off to nerves or stress or, my favorite, "in my head".

It was only after I developed the neurological symptoms that I really and truly began to realize that, yes, I did have something "not right" occurring in my body and that's when I stopped listening to the "real" doctors. I have seen a fairly reasonable number -- internal medicine, gastroenterologists, gynecologists, EENTs, etc. Every single one told me there was nothing wrong.

But they were happy to prescribe a boatload of pills. If nothing is wrong, why do I need medication. Some of them even wanted to prescribe medication without any kind of testing. Needless to say, I promptly refused all this "help." I choose not to be walking chemistry experiment.

Now, I have gone to an LLMD and finally found someone who actually listened to me and took the time to LISTEN to my symptoms and do actual tests. I have hope for the very first time ever that whatever my problem is, I have a chance at least to find it.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "the realm of practical medicine." If you mean that all doctors who are members of the AMA are good and all people who offer alternative medicine are bad, then the only thing I can say on this is that all the "real" doctors have totally failed me so far.

What is "real" medicine anyway and who is the ultimate judge on that? Shouldn't medicine be about healing? If something heals a person, what difference does it make where or in what form that healing comes.

If "real" medicine fails, do we just sit back and feel bad forever and assume there is no help. If I get my fillings removed and the mercury out of my system, and I don't feel better, okay. Then I'll know that was not the answer and I'll move on to something else. But in any event, if mercury is a toxin, how can getting it out be a bad thing in any way.

I don't say any of this to be antagonistic or argumentative or disrespectul of you. I don't want to make you angry or upset. I am very respectful of each and everyone's opinion -- everybody has a right to believe what they believe. That's what makes us human. But nobody is right 100% of the time and no one thing works for "everybody" 100% of the time. Every thing comes down to personal choice -- hopefully educated personal choice. I always try to learn as much as I can and make the best decision for me based on both sides of the issue. For me (and me alone), this is the best choice.

I really appreciate and thank you for your help with my dental questions and value every single thing I learn. That's what it's all about.

CAT

Posts: 61 | From SE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

cat,
i didn't mean to imply that all "realm medicine "is good. i have been to many, many bad drs , some almost killed me.there are good drs around though and they can help you if you find the right ones. i'm not saying the alternative medicine is bad either, i take lots of suppliments that the normal medical community may find offensive.
i don't even disagree with you for removing your amalgams, there is a very small percent of the population that this does help. i had several lupus patients in my practice in which i removed all toxic materials in the mouth and replaced with gold. one felt better after one didn't.
i don't even disagree with some of the material on these other sites,what concrens me is the amount of bad information on the internet and the amount of poor advice people on the lymenet sometimes give.
there are enough sites to do enough research on any subject. i feel you need to take all the information right and wrong and make a decision based on what you feel is correct, not what other people tell you.
i have been sick for 10 years 6 prior to diagnosis, i am disabled, haven't practiced dentistry in 4 years and somes days can't get out of bed.
exposure to any material is different for ever person, some people can live with high levels of toxins in their system and be normal. i get bit by a bee an go into shock. so everybody is different everybody reacts different to the same stimuli.
just wanted people to know that the internet is not g-d. what it tells you is not always true and you must be careful picking thru articles and the source of articles.
good luck with your endevor and hope that the chelation works for you.
[email protected]

Cat
Member # 5595

Thanks for your message. I absolutely agree with you that there is at least as much (if not more) bad info out there as there is good. I also recognize the fact that some people think just because it's on the Internet (as well as just because it's on TV), that it's got to be true. This is simply not the case.

I also recognize that some people are more easily influenced than others so I totally understand your concern. Fortunately, I am not one of the easily swayed. I am a pretty pigheaded, stubborn, and distrusting person when it comes to things not commonly known to be true.

There are also plenty of people out there willing to take advantage of the sick and desperate. It's very sad.

The main reason that I am having my amalgams out is because I seem to be so very sensitive to so many stimuli. I have MCS, photophobia, noise sensitivity and even some kind of weird vibrational sensitivity. After all the thought and research, it just makes sense to me that perhaps if I am this sensitive to all these other things, maybe I am just this sensitive to mercury and it could be causing some of these things. No matter what, in my mind, it's certainly worth a shot.

But I do thank you for your posts, your information and your concern.

Have a great rest of the day,

CAT

HeathO947
Member # 2890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeathO947     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cat,

How many mercury fillings do you have? I get mine out tomorrow

Thanks,
Heather

Posts: 66 | From Dutchess County, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cat
Member # 5595

Somewhere between 6 and 10. Some of my teeth have double fillings (or at least that's what I think I remember the dentist saying). I guess that just means extra large.

And some I've had so long, it's hard to remember anything about them.

BUT I've also been sick for a very long time as well with no explanation.

In addition, I also have root canals and crowns, some of which are certainly nickel/non-precious. I may have to deal with those later.

Are you having all of yours out at once? How many do you have? Are you going to do chelation?

CAT

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited 26 April 2004).]

HeathO947
Member # 2890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeathO947     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have 10 mercury fillings and one root canal, luckily they were mostly in baby teeth. So most of them fell out years ago. I have two left in my permanent teeth. I am getting them both out tomorrow.

I think that all the years that I had the 10 fillings was when I got the majority of the mercury buildup in my body. I have had Lyme for five years with not much improvement. I am going to start chelation after their out. I'm hoping that once the metals are out the Lyme will be easier to treat.

Heather

Posts: 66 | From Dutchess County, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cat
Member # 5595

Did you have to address any issues with the root canal? And if not, how did you decide that it was OK? (I have 2 root canals and 8 crowns.)

Good luck!!!

CAT

HeathO947
Member # 2890

The root canal was a baby tooth, but a few years after the root canal was done that tooth need another filling for a cavity. So maybe that's how some of the mercury was entering my body?

Heather

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement