LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need your help with BicillinLA: Am I having a drug reaction, or a herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need your help with BicillinLA: Am I having a drug reaction, or a herx?
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I really need your expertise on this one.
I had a Bicillin LA shot on Friday, at noon.

I felt the usual bruising pain right after the shot, but instead of the pain going away, it slowly kept getting worse and worse. It first felt like a deep bruise, like somebody punching me in the butt.

Friday night, I had a real hard time sleeping because of the pain. It was very painful to lay down on the affected area, and very hard to get in and out of bed. Then when I woke up
Saturday morning, I could hardly walk on it.
On Saturday, it then started to feel like and inflammatory/infection type of pain. It was very hard walking around, and especially difficult getting in and out of the car.

By late Saturday afternoon, I started running a fever: 100 degrees to be exact, with some slight chills.

Again, Saturday night, it was hard to sleep very well. But throughout the night, I noticed that the pain was not as bad. I woke up a little better this morning; only a 99 degree temp., but my butt/hip is still sore, and it is still hard to get around this morning.

The whole thing is very strange. You see, all of the pain that I am having is around the hip and butt areas.
I have had hip problems for a long time now; I know it has to be Lyme related.

So, my question is, is this a herx that I am having, or is it a reaction to the penicillin. I know that some people have hypersensitivities to penicillin, which include fever and chills.
But I have not had any typical allergy symptoms: no rashes of any kind, no trouble breathing, and no stuffiness of any kind.

Some of my friends who have had these penicillin shots have never had these type of complications. Did the nurse inject the penicillin too fast? Could it be, that she used a "dirty needle"?

If it is a reaction to the penicillin, I sure need to be careful. The LA concerns me. If I do have a major reaction with this penicillin, it is not going to exit my body very quickly.

I am going to talk to Dr C about this Monday, but I would sure appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HudsonValleyGal
Member # 5108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HudsonValleyGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had that kind of localized pain after giving myself a bicillin shot. I've only been on bicillin for a couple of weeks, and only inject it twice a week, so I am writing based on limited experience. What seems to help me so far is to warm up the bicillin for a few minutes before it's injected (I carry around the prefilled syringe in my hand to warm it up to body temperature); to inject the medication slowly; and to massage the medication into the muscle after the needle is removed. That last part particularly helps, in that I don't get a painful lump at the injection site if I massage the medication in for a few minutes.

I have been having widespread body pain after my shots and figure that it is a herx. I also had a slightly elevated temp after the first couple of injections.

When the pain makes it hard for me to sleep at night I take tylenol, benadryl, and relafen (a NSAID) at bedtime. I was finding that I was getting really run down between my reaction to the bicillin (like having the flu) and the impact of only sleeping 4 interrupted hours a night because of the pain.

Now I am finally having a good half day or so right before I'm due for the next bicillin dose, so I am considering that a good sign.

Good luck. Hopefully you are herxing, or caught the flu or something, not having a problem with penicillin.

Posts: 41 | From Dutchess County, NY, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMC

I have been on Bicillin for over a year and Still herx. Usually, there is a flare up of symptoms about twenty-eight hours after the shot (it reaches peak level in about twenty-four hours. Then after about three weeks in which I feel great, it happens again. Usually, this is for four of five days. Early on I would feel hot and sweaty, have an upsurge of pain in my extremeties, and a general malaise.

Dr. B. notes in his Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines that Bicillin is "surprizingly effective" but to expect "intersting" Herxheimer reactions for as long as several months. That was my experience, also

The early shots were MUCH more uncomfortable, aching and stinging for about two days. Now I basically forget about them after a couple of hours. Since you were given an antibiotic, it seems unlikely that you got a dirty needle but if you develop localized redness and heat, you probably should get it checked out.

My guess is that you are OK. Because it is slow releasing, I have heard that allergic reactions are very rare. This has been a very effective drug for me and my recovery seems like a miracle. Try drinking a Detox Tea containig danelion root. It often eases my herx symptoms within half an hour, or so. If yo try it and feel better, it almost surely is a herx. Be careful but hang in there.

David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herx, definately A weird herx
Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the re-assuring replies.

From reading your responses, it is obvious to me that the muscle pain is a result of the way the shot was administered to me.

There was never any redness around the injection site.

Cave,

It was a nurse that gave me the shot.

And I do not think that the penicillin was warmed up,
And I am pretty certain that it was injected too fast.
She also did not massage the muscles after the shot.
The nurse was pretty concerned about the pain produced by the shot, so she probably injected it too fast, thinking that it would be easier on me that way.

Sounds like I am having a good response to the Bicillin!

David,
the timing of your flare-up symptoms is almost identical to what I have experienced. I started to run a fever around 28 hours after the injection.

Hudson Valley Girl,
Good luck on your progress too! I believe that you will continue to improve.

David, Cave, good luck to you as well. Continue to fight the good fight, and keep the faith.

Thanks again for the replies. I will continue to search for more posts and articles here in Lymeland on Bicillin injections.

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all of the above...

PLUS,

you dont' ever have to worry about using a dirty needle...

all needles are mandated by law to be disposable now...ALL needles! medication needles, even acupuncture needles!! they are individually packaged adn disposable...so you never have to worry about that..k?

jsut thought I'd add that to help relax you a bit for later shots...

Lisa

[This message has been edited by lla2 (edited 25 April 2004).]

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had probably 300 bicillin shots. They have to go in slow. You need to aspirate before you put in the bicillin. How the heck can you give it to yourself and be safe with that? You run a risk of hitting a blood vessel and then you run the risk of siezure, fainting, bad reaction.If you inject anywhere but your butt, you run the risk of losing your limb...ie leg. No nurse that I know of will give a bicillin anywhere but in the butt, period.
Never ever thru the IV either.
Having said that, the shot should go in at two to three minutes, it can be taken out the night before, left to come to room temp. Its good for a week at room temp.
So I usually have a timer available for my nurse and I both to watch.
The only time it has been horribly painful esp for days, or weeks, has been it it isn't in the upper outer quadrant. If its too close to the spine, it will hurt. If it hurts other than a sting going in, something is wrong. If there is blood upon aspiration, remove the needle and start again with a fresh one.
And I was told by Dr B NOT to rub, it causes the medication to disperse too quickly. It needs to stay in a lump to disperse over 48 hours.
And here's a good tip, make sure the needle goes in bevel end UP, so that the medicine can come out more easily into the muscle.
Lidocaine is cheap and you can make yourself a little patch with saran wrap and some guaze and tape it on about half an hour before injection, or use EMLA cream. Then there's little pain, your muscle is relaxed, and it all goes smoothly if you are relaxed.
Not that its a picnic..but it has given me my life back...
i usually just chat with my nurse, ask her a question, etc, and watch the time tick by. also having a low temp is a herx sign for me with several meds.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMC,

In most of the world Penicillin Benzathine G (Bicillin LA generic) is sold as a powder to which sterile water is added. In Israel they mix it with 1%Lidocaine which, apparently, reduces the discomfort substantially. I haven't tried it but, if you have ever had I.M. Rocephin, it almost always is mixed with Lidocaine. I've had it without. TALK ABOUT PAIN! Bicillin is NOTHING by comparison.

Anyway, if you have had Lidocaine with no problems in the past, the Bicillin could theoretically be injected into a 5 ml syringe to which Lidocaine is added. It would create a geater volume but would also be more liquid. Bicillin LA is about the consistency of Elmer's glue.

You might ask your doctor about this. Also, did you by chance get 2.4 MU in one shot. That's a double dose and many docters specify that it be given 1/2 in each cheek.

My experience is that massaging the area caused more pain. However, it it helps, the key to the stuff as I understand it is slow-dissolving at a chemical level and therefore, the lump sould be irrelevant.

Good luck and keep us posted.

David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

I talked to my doctor's nurse this morning.
I told her about the pain that I was having.

She said that sometimes there is nothing that can be done to prevent the pain from happening because the penicillin is so thick, but she did mention one thing:

that the type of syringe used could be the culprit. She mentioned transferring the bicillin from the "standard syringe" to a more "patient friendly" one. I do not remember what type of syringe she was talking about, but it makes sense.

As far as the flu-like symptoms that I am having, she said that this is a typical
die-off reaction.

Any reactions to the penicillin would have occured 20-30 minutes after the injection.

She also added that if I am not feeling better by Wednesday, to skip the next bicillin shot scheduled for this Friday.
I hope this post will help future Bicillin recipients with similar experiences.

My thanks to everyone here, and thanks for all of your suggestions.

DMC

David95928
Member # 3521

DMC,

One other question. If you were nervous about that first shot, you mighthave clenched up the muscle. That will make any I.M. injection painful. If you think this may have been an issue, consciously try to stay relaxed the next time. A good trick is putting all of your weight on the side not getting injected or, sometimes lying down for the shot helps.
I'll find and post an abstract on the lidocaine question.
David

David95928
Member # 3521

CMC
Your doctor and/or the person doing your injections might be interested in this. The Bicillin would have to be transfered to a larger standard syringe.
David

Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998 Oct;17(10):890-3. Related Articles, Links

Lidocaine as a diluent for administration of benzathine penicillin G.

Amir J, Ginat S, Cohen YH, Marcus TE, Keller N, Varsano I.

Department of Pediatrics C, Schneider Children's Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tikva. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Benzathine penicillin G is recommended for secondary prophylaxis of rheumatic fever. Its main disadvantage is local pain and discomfort associated with the injection. Lidocaine as a diluent may reduce this discomfort. We compared the administration of benzathine penicillin G with two diluents; sterile water and lidocaine hydrochloride 1% for penicillin concentrations and pain of injection. DESIGN: In a randomized double blind, crossover trial, 18 children ages 11 to 19 years who required prophylactic treatment for rheumatic fever were randomly divided into two groups. One received an injection of benzathine penicillin G diluted with 3.2 ml of sterile water, followed 1 month later by an injection of benzathine penicillin G diluted in lidocaine hydrochloride 1%; the second group received the same regimen in the reverse order. Serum penicillin concentrations and subjective pain sensation were determined after each injection. RESULTS: Peak serum penicillin concentrations at 24 h after injection were similar for both preparations (0.100 microg/ml for water, 0.102 microg/ml for lidocaine), as were the other serum values measured throughout the month. After 28 days detectable concentrations (> or =0.020 microg/ml) were found in 44 and 291% of the subjects, respectively (P = 0.4). Urine penicillin concentrations on Day 28 were 1.81 +/- 0.25 and 2.31 +/- 0.25 microg/ml, respectively. The pain score immediately after the injection was significantly lower with the lidocaine than with the sterile water dilution. CONCLUSION: Use of lidocaine hydrochloride as a diluent for benzathine penicillin G does not change the penicillin concentration in body fluids and significantly reduces the pain of injection. We suggest the use of lidocaine hydrochloride 1% as a diluent for benzathine penicillin G.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 9802630 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

quote:
Originally posted by David95928:

One other question. If you were nervous about that first shot, you mighthave clenched up the muscle. That will make any I.M. injection painful. If you think this may have been an issue, consciously try to stay relaxed the next time. A good trick is putting all of your weight on the side not getting injected or, sometimes lying down for the shot helps.
I'll find and post an abstract on the lidocaine question.

David

To answer your question,

no, I was not nervous about the shot, and I did have all of my weight off of the injection site side of my body.
And it was LESS painful DURING the shot, than afterwards.

next quote by David:

"Your doctor and/or the person doing your injections might be interested in this. The Bicillin would have to be transfered to a larger standard syringe."

Bingo!
That is exactly what Dr C's nurse told me today on the phone.

Thanks David.

DMC

once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What size needle are you talking about? It comes in a tubex, the ones I get. Or maybe we are not talking about bicllin LA. That comes in a glass tubex, with a 21 guage needle, 1.5 inches long. I transfer to a one inch needle, 22 guage, which is slightly smaller. The reason I do this is that I got around 200 shots with the reg size needle. I wanted to give that layer of muscle a break. Anything smaller will be harder to get the stuff out of, and may not go into the muscle. It can backfire and come back out the syringe at the hub.
So what is Dr C recommending, I would really like to know if a smaller guage is ok. Dr B says NO.
Also the syringe part is the part that holds the meds, the needles is the part that would make a difference, if its smaller or shorter.
I order mine from a vet supply company, and pay around 15 bucks for 100...saves a ton of money.
Dr B's nurse says the most critical thing is to inject slowly, over three minutes, but I can usually only get the nurse to slow down to about two...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement