LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Salt Craving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt Craving
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reading some of the posts today and yesterday, I read the one about the person wanting chocolate. Someone posted that if your body keeps craving something, it usually is signaling you that your body needs something.

My craving is for lemon juice and salt. I mean really salty and tart. All my life I have had these cravings periodically. And when I say craving, I mean I cannot rest until I get it. I mean it's like a heroin addict needing a fix kind of craving. I have completely ruined the enamel on my teeth with this thing.

I have asked numerous doctors what they thought it was my body was trying to tell me it wanted. They all said, oh, every person had cravings for something or other. Very helpful, I must say.

Do any of you out there have any thoughts on what this might mean? I would love to hear any ideas on this.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i have salt cravings alot.
i keep a bag of peanuts in my car and by my bed all the time.
peanuts have salt and are good for you.
since i'm also on the south beach diet they are a good source of protein.
but only if your blood prssure is ok, salt will retain fluid and increase your blood pressure.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my bp is low so I have always allowed myself to have the lemon & salt stuff.

But it sure did ruin my teeth.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lizzie J
Member # 5168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzie J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salt cravings could mean a deficiency of the andrenal glands...
Posts: 90 | From nowhere, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no explanation for why this happens, but can assure you it did happen to me, also. It went away after I started taking omnicef, an abx that balanced out my monthly cycle.

Before that, I had lost ten pounds overnight, had a monthly cycle of 18 days, and obsessively craved pickles, salted peanuts, creamy salad dressing, cheddar cheese, and greasy salted dumplings drenched in sour cream and oil. Yuck.

This salt fixation alternated with a sugar fixation, too. I remember this horrible day when I was too sick to leave my house, called a local deli, and asked them to deliver pickles and chocolate mousse, which I washed down with slabs of cheese and frozen fish dunked in hot sauce. That was a real low point.

Now I can't stand the thought of any of these foods, except the chocolate mousse, of course. Again, for me the solution was finding stronger abx.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cat
Member # 5595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lizzie J & Liz28

Your posts are very interesting to me. I was reading something the other day about the adrenal glands and was thinking that some of the symptoms applied to me. BUT I did not relate it to this craving.

Also, I used to never crave sweets and hardly ever ate any. But now I too have the sugar craving alternating with the salt craving. First I want one, then the other, then the other, and so forth. When I get on one of these craving circles, it drives me nuts.

Thanks for sharing.

CAT

Posts: 61 | From SE | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I definitely believe cravings are a symptom of Lyme. I too used to hate sweets never ate dessert wasn't a fan.

The last few years I crave chocolate, peanut butter and just about any other sweets. I would eat a bag of assorted chocolates myself. I go through salt cravings as well. I have read Lyme can cause high cholesterol as well. Wonder if that is why my cholesterol is 225 and why my blood pressure is high now.

All my life my blood pressure and cholesterol were perfect, the last few years my BP has been sky high and the cholesterol high as well.

Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ATP regulates the Na-K (sodium-potassium) pump. If you are not making enough ATP, which you are not because of lyme disease, this messes up the Na-K pump.

Lyme, cancer and malaria follow what is called the glycolysis pathway. The infections (bacterial, viral, protozoan)use sugar, not oxygen for energy - ATP.

We only make bursts of 2 ATP following the glycolysis pathway, 36 ATP if we use the oxygen route.

When Mg is not "available", Calcium and potassium levels rise, at first. But way down the road, these will become deficient also. You cannot hold onto Ca and K without adequate Mg.

Lyme disease causes a major electrolyte imbalance.

Read my "In a nutshell part 1" post. Pay close attention to the neuro babesia - dog cure of the 1970's.

Have you been tested for co-infections?

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks duke77 for your post. My cholesterol is high also. It ranges between 230 and 240. I have been wondering the same thing.

Marnie, thanks for your info. I will check out the post listed. I have been tested and am awaiting the test results. They should be back around the first week of June. I see Dr. J in NC.

Also, I wanted to say that you post such wonderful info here. I often search out your posts to read them. There is just so much stuff. I appreciate your directing me to a specific place.

CAT

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement