LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Taking Personal Responsiblity for What is Being Said on Lymenet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking Personal Responsiblity for What is Being Said on Lymenet
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know what I would have done if I had not found this site several years ago. I know this disease is hard on all of us. For most of us, we are not only worried about ourselves but family as well. I know it became a lot harder for me when my younger son was diagnosed with Lyme last year.

On thing that has really been bothering me the last couple of days is what is happening over Benicar and Marshall's research. I do find value in his work, but I am concerned about how this information is being presented.

There are many different types' of people that come to this site. Most are suffering greatly from this disease. Some are desperate, some are just in search of knowledge, some are looking for a soap box to stand on and I am sure some are here for sinister reasons.

It is important to recognize that everybody is at a different level of understanding when it comes to this disease and medicine in general. Even with significant knowledge one might have a hard time comprehending this information because of how the disease affecting them.

I feel that we all have a personal responsibility to insure that what we say on here reflects true and accurate information. It is easy to get caught up in the hype and chalk it up to enthusiasm, but we all have to recognize that our words down the road could hurt someone.

The reason I first posted on Benicar, was because I was concerned about the talk that was going on about using Benicar for kids. It is important to know that Benicar is not approved by the FDA for use in kids let alone at the levels that have been talked about on here.

We all know desperate people might take desperate action if given the opportunity. There are easy ways to get this drug with out going through normal channels. I would hate to see someone go out there, secure a supply of Benicar from a not so reputable source, use it and get sicker or even worse yet die.

If you take a look at the Benicar threads, there are a lot of new people with few posts out there taking jabs at those that are putting up the caution flag. Then the jabs are being returned by the jabees. I find myself getting frustrated and wanting to get involved more in the back and forth comments, but I know that is not the right thing to do.

While it is good to have debate over subjects like Marshall's research or Benicar, the debate should reflect more facts and less opinion. The facts should be accurate, real and not hyped. Opinions should be kept to a minimum so as not to influence someone that might not have all the facilities to make an informed decision on their own. Of course this is my own opinion and does not reflect anyone else opinions.

I do believe this topic is getting out of hand. I for one would not want to see debate end, but it would be nice to see it become more constructive. Who knows down the road this might be an extremely useful protocol. It would be a shame to see it get messed up by irresponsible use of the protocol.

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very wise words, and very well said!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got involved in the beginning of this debate and was ridiculed. I dont mind debate but when what you say is ignored all you end up doing beating a dead horse.

I hope people especially new or innocent minded people dont get taken.
Its bad enough being sick and having your pockets emptied by conventional Drs let alone something unproven.

In desperation people reach for the quickest and most painless help which may not be so.

------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wlf5286     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This puts into words so much of what i have been thinking.
I am not a newbie to Lyme & back in the early 90s i frequented the Lyme forums but i left the internet when several of my Lyme friends were lost to this disease.
So, after a lomg break, i came back to the forums.
My own condition is much much worse than when i was first involved with internet groups. Now, i am incapable of doing my own research. My vision is so limited & brain so fogged,that i nip in to the forums, select one or two posts & read. That is all i can cope with.
I am one of the " desperate" people here. My treatents have been long, varied & many. Now i'm waiting for the right treatment to make *me* aware of *it*. I cannot go out looking, my fogged brain cannot understand the facts & figures anymore. All i can do is watch & hope.
Seeing calm precise post, stating facts, makes it so much easier to make an informed decision.
I think sometimes, people who are perhaps recovering or not yet at such a level of illness that they cannot think beyond the task in hand, forget that others are incapable of anything but trusting someone elses recomendations.

W. x

Posts: 57 | From England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why a discussion site like this is so valuable. I entreat those who get better- come back and post! Together let's ferret out the misinformation, direct it into the trash bin and empty the trash! (this is one area where it's best not to recycle!... )
I'd say,we just have to use every last bit of what is left of our common sense. If there is a treatment with enough positive comments, backed by further research of any possible risks, weigh the risks, and discuss with others, and if it looks like a good bet, try it, all the while watching for any negative results. I had a good doctor, very open to alternative therapy, and I always discussed with him anything I was trying. As expected, he leaned toward the conservative side, but helped me greatly in assessing the worthwhileness of trying a given treatment.
Recovered hearth and wellness to all,
DaveS

PS- that being said, I can't really comment on the subjects being referred to here, as I have neither personal experience with them, nor any second-hand opinions to share...

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Thank you for writing this.

Just to add, I was a hopeless Lyme case, and may still be, but in the last six months I've been experiencing miraculous improvement using commonplace herbs, old-standby antibiotics, and supplements from the health food store. Yeah, the quantities I take every day are a little extreme, and the combination took years to figure out, and it's not working overnight, but every single ingredient is still well-studied, cheap (except for the abx), and backed by a lot of positive testimonials from other Lyme sufferers. In fact, I got a lot of suggestions from calling former Lymenet members who no longer post, because they actually got better on the protocols they wrote about.

No Lyme patient, no matter how desperate, is completely without options in mainstream medicine or in the more accepted alternative community. The main hurdles seem to be access and cost, not the inability of the market to provide beneficial remedies.

New Lymenet members might be well advised to try a little of a lot of different, more harmless-sounding protocols, instead of trying to force one protocol to be the magic bullet. Then at least they will see some improvement, instead of getting their hopes up over one expensive idea that might fail them.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed...thanks.
Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DITTO's to hwlatin-

There are, I believe, great things on the horizons-but couldn't we wait patiently until
our LLMD's-who are on the cutting edge of new tx'ments give us the green light to proceed---with caution.

If Benicar turns out to be the Gold Standard--the doc's-not ducks- are in tune with it and suggest it to us because OF THE FACTS-
then I say go for it.

All the hype is making me anxious and nervous for the desperate ones-like myself- who will want to-possibly-leap before they have really looked.

It is exciting information but if we don't put our trust in the guys who are trying to do right by us-with prooved tx.'ments ( yeah- some that haven't worked) then it can be risky.

Think I will keep looking upon the horizon lest I fall when the sun sets.

Choc.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a newbie to this website and to lyme - and may not have the 'right' to chime in, but feel I need to. Yes truth is what we all need. Lymenet has been a ray of hope to me, full of support and guidance, and comfort to know I am not alone.

That being said, I find myself skipping some of the headers, so I don't find 'false hope' in some of the treatments. I like to take things slowly, adding one variable at a time to my treatment regime, to see which 'variable' (i.e. drug or herb) makes the difference.

I have found many of the posts to be extrememly helpful, but at times I am a bit suprised at the 'snaps' and 'tramples' that occur. Debates are good - if we all thought the same thing, then the progress of lyme research would be soooo limited.

However, as a new lymie (dx after a year of feeling crummy), and a paranoid one at that, I have been very careful with what I post - concerned that it may offend or receive a snappy response.

Therefore, thank you for this post and the reassurance that we are all looking out for each other and the progress of lyme treatment.

Everyone has been on a different path, different symptoms, some chronic, some new stage... but in the end - don't we all just want to feel better? Thanks again hwlatin - TO THE TOP!!

Posts: 160 | From MD, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, latin and Lisa! Well said! I'm cautiously excited about the Benicar, but am concerned that newbies will get confused....and/or that their posts will be overlooked.

Can we all watch to see that no newbie loses out on answers to their questions? Let's all pitch in and make sure we give them the attention they need.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 10 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree, latin.

In fact, I agree so much that from now on I'm taking personal responsibility for your posts 'cause they're so good.

So, everyone, all kudos to hwlatin (including flowers, candy, humorous emails) should come to me. For any flubs, of course, contact hwlatin directly....

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Unfortunatly sometimes things get out of control. I think this is one of those times. Not only have we splintered off to many threads, it has taken on a tone that is unpleasant.

At some point I believe, and this is my own humble opinion, debate should be limited by the moderators or maybe the topics moved to a different main topic area where people can go and take the gloves off sort of speak.

It is bad enough we face a hostile medical community but to face it in a support group is even worse. This has gotten personal for some people.

It does set a bad example and will discourage those that are seeking information for the first time. I think we all need to step back and remember how we felt when we entered the board for the first time.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement