LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » OUCH!!! Kidney stones!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OUCH!!! Kidney stones!!
SentByHim
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is the closest a man can get to understanding what it feel like to give birth?? And to think I made three babies?? But my wives had epidurals!!!!

Anyone have any experience with this HORRID PLAGUE that may help it pass quicker?? or melt or something?

I'll even use a cat as a dousing rod at this point (inside joke).

Painfully yours

Sent

------------------
You're allowed to be a victim only once, after that you're a volunteer. Naomi Judd

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had 2 kidney stones , and the pain was MUCH WORSE than either of the births of my two kids!! mUCH WORSE!!

I"M not kiddig...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 7 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent

I sure hope you are feeling better soon. Will keep you in my prayers that things start looking up.

Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cranberry juice, and lots of it.

I've had a stone, and it taught me the true meaning of "writhing on the floor in agony" - literally.

At the doc's, got a rx for painkiller. Driving from there to the drug store, felt an attack coming on... knew didn't have time to make the whole trip - an attack while driving is absolutely not possible - so went home, had to go thru another "session" on my own.

Fun stuff.

Did they give you a filter to pee into, to catch the stone? If so, you're gonna be amazed at how small a thing can do that to you.

Wishing you a strong dose of hydrocdone!

Dan

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, man..so sorry, Sent.

A lesson in the pain of childbirth, huh? well..we could strap a sympathy belly on ya, along with those nursing man breasts they make now (Sorry..)

I wish I had some ideas..but I'm without any.

keeping this up for others..DanQ's ideas sound pretty good to me..

Hoping this too shall pass..(pun intended..)

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 15 May 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaack! You poor guy!

Drink lots of fluids, to help force the stone through the ureter into the bladder.

My kidney stone 7 years ago was the size of the head of a pin, with a little barb on it.

Yes, that's what "transition" of childbirth felt like (when the cervix stretches open the last couple cm.), but it didn't last for hours and hours like a kidney stone can.

I hope you have some strong meds to get you through this.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah, by the way, after I had passed the stones, dr. H asked if I had saved it to have it tested..i guess it's common for bartonella to show up in kidney stones and he wanted to test it to see..? go figure...

I hadn't saved it..you may want to...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the sympathy. According to the CAT scan it's about the size of a grain of sand. That's apparently big enough. I am taking vicodin till I can pick up the percocet.

Garth Brooks summed it up best when he sung "I'm much to young to feel this dammed old".

Entering my second day of labor

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sleepy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sleepy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Sent, you & I are moving once again in the parallel universe. I just spent most of today in emergency and they said they thought my symptoms were so severe, that after ruling out the other stuff, said that they thought a kidney stone as well.
SOOOOOo man, I totally know what you mean. I was thinking that this was more painful than childbirth too! I see you mentioned percocet. If it works for you please let me know and I'll ask my doctor for it on Monday.
Good luck to you too!
Sleepy!

Posts: 140 | From Vancouver Island | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Sent and Sleepy,
When you start feeling better, well enough to spend a little bit more time in front of the computer screen, then be sure to visit the SarcInfo website and do a search there about kidney stones.

It has something to do with altered calcium metabolism in the body, due to the imbalanced ratio of the two forms of Vitamin D, which helps the body to assimilate calcium properly.

If I understood it better, I could try to explain it to you a little more clearly, but since I don't, then I'll just refer you to that website instead.

In fact, I'll post a couple of links from that website, just to make it a little easier for you to find what you need when you get there -- since I know you aren't feeling very well and might not be feeling like spending too much time hunting around for it, because that website contains a ton of material.

http://www.sarcinfo.com/calcium.htm

http://sarcinfo.com/phorum/list.php?f=1

When you click on the second link, which takes you to the list of discussion topics in their SarcInfo "Phorum", be sure to notice that they have an excellent search engine. That will make it easy for you to look for discussion topics pertaining to kidney stones.

BTW, I don't know if you were reading any of these topics here at LymeNet recently, pertaining to Trevor Marshall's therapy protocol using Benicar plus minocycline, but it does seem as if chronic, late-stage LD might turn out to be another "atypical" form of sarcoidosis, or a "sarcoid-like" condition. That's why the material at the SarcInfo website seems so relevant to your problem with kidney stones.

Good luck. I hope your misery *passes* soon and that everything *comes out* OK -- pun intended.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had three lithrotripsy (sp) kidney
stone "surgeries." No fun. I have a stone at present. It seems helpful to drink distilled H2O and take royal breakstone and stay on special diet advised by Dr.

Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure the percocet will help with the pain. Right now two vicodin are doing the trick but that is a lot of tylenol too to be taking. TXLM that is a lot of info to read through so you are right when I feel better I will wade through it. Thanks for the link.

Sent

VEE VEE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VEE VEE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember Kramer on Seinfeld passing a kidney stone?

I'm sorry guys, didn't want to make you laugh, it might hurt too much.

I am sorry for all of that pain you are going thru right now. I wish there was some magical thing to help with all the pain and just make everything, lyme included go away.

Hang in there.
Vee Vee

Posts: 107 | From MD | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There gone...floating there way to the Indian River....Thanks for all the love and sympathy. If I never have to suffer through this again it will be fine with me.

I will definately keep up with my H2O intake.

Sent

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea Sent! Is it really really gone??? How's the pain level? gone now too? hope so!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just kind of sore now and "flowing freely" so that is why I am saying it passed. I had another bad bout of pain last night followed by plenty of "productive" trips to the "loo". All day today I have been drinking and draining with no problems. The doc said on the cat scan she saw only one stone. Trust me that was enough.

Thanks again for the warm thoughts and prayers

Sent

jpoppeck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boy you can't catch a break....I have never had kidney stones but from what I hear they are painful....Hope your feeling better

Joan

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofi
Member # 2346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I�ve had kidneystone problem for years and it seems that several Lymies have the same problem. Finnish researchers have studied the connection between bacteria and stone formation:
Kajander EO, Ciftcioglu N, Aho K, Garcia-Cuerpo E.
Characteristics of nanobacteria and their possible role in stone formation.
Urol Res. 2003 Jun;31(2):47-54. Epub 2003 Mar 27. Review.
PMID: 12669155 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I don�t usually have problems with kidney stones when I keep my PH alkaline - drink lots of fresh vegetable/fruit juices, avoid milk products (any form of calcium and D-vitamine). If I get a "kidney stone attack" I take homeopathic remedies and until now they have worked surprisingly well (for instance Lycopodium, berberis, sarsaparilla, nitricum acidum).

Here is some info about alternative methods: http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneystones/index.shtml

Kidney stones (calculi) are hardened mineral deposits that form in the kidney. They originate as microscopic particles and develop into stones over time. The medical term for this condition is nephrolithiasis, or renal stone disease.

The kidneys filter waste products from the blood and add them to the urine that the kidneys produce. When waste materials in the urine do not dissolve completely, crystals and kidney stones are likely to form.
Small stones can cause some discomfort as they pass out of the body. Regardless of size, stones may pass out of the kidney, become lodged in the ureter (tube that carries urine from the kidney to the bladder), and cause severe pain that begins in the lower back and radiates to the side or groin. A lodged stone can block the flow of urine, causing pressure to build in the affected ureter and kidney. Increased pressure results in stretching and spasm, which cause severe pain.

Stone Formation
Kidney stones form when there is a high level of calcium (hypercalciuria), oxalate (hyperoxaluria), or uric acid (hyperuricosuria) in the urine; a lack of citrate in the urine; or insufficient water in the kidneys to dissolve waste products. The kidneys must maintain an adequate amount of water in the body to remove waste products. If dehydration occurs, high levels of substances that do not dissolve completely (e.g., calcium, oxalate, uric acid) may form crystals that slowly build up into kidney stones.

Urine normally contains chemicals-- citrate, magnesium, pyrophosphate-- that prevent the formation of crystals. Low levels of these inhibitors can contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Of these, citrate is thought to be the most important.

Naturopathic Treatment
From a naturopathic perspective, kidney stones are a diet-related condition, except for those caused by a genetic or metabolic disorder. Proper nutrition can support healthy kidney function and discourage stone formation, and natural therapies can help ease the pain and spasm that accompanies stone passage (medical management). Kidney stone treatment should be undertaken only after a physician has made a definitive diagnosis.

Nutrition
The following nutritional recommendations can be used to prevent stone formation or recurrence:
� Eat a whole foods diet that contains leafy green vegetables, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and fish and poultry in small portions. Include foods that have a high ratio of magnesium to calcium such as brown rice, bananas, oats, barley, and soy, and are high in fiber such as oat bran, psyllium seed husk, and flaxseed meal.

� Drink a minimum of 1/2 of body weight in ounces of water daily (e.g., a 150 lb person would drink 75 oz of water). Proper hydration prevents the urine from becoming concentrated with crystals, which leads to stone formation; and it reduces the risk of urinary tract infections, which reduces the risk of struvite stones. Urine color can indicate the level of concentration: dark or bright yellow urine indicates a highly concentrated urine, as seen in morning urine; pale or colorless urine indicates dilute urine.

� Avoid sugar (check ingredients for hidden sources of sugar), alcohol, antacids, excessive protein, dairy products (especially milk), salt, carbonated beverages, caffeine, and refined white flour products such as pasta, white bread, and baked goods.

Supplements
� Magnesium citrate--Take 500 mg daily. Low magnesium intake has been linked to stone formation. Magnesium supplementation can decrease the size of an existing stone and prevent further formations. Citrate supplementation prevents further stone formation.
� Vitamin B-6--Take 25 mg daily. A B-6 deficiency increases urinary oxalate, which leads to kidney stones; but even in those who are not deficient, B-6 reduces urinary oxalate levels.

Herbal Medicine
Herbal medicines rarely have significant side effects when used appropriately and at suggested doses. Occasionally, an herb at the prescribed dose causes stomach upset or headache. This may reflect the purity of the preparation or added ingredients, such as synthetic binders or fillers. For this reason, it is recommended that only high-quality products be used. As with all medications, more is not better and overdosing can lead to serious illness and death.
These herbs are often used to ease the discomfort associated with stone passage:
� Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi)--Acts as a diuretic and antiseptic for the entire urinary tract.
� Cleavers (Galium aparine)--Has a history of use in treatment of congestive kidney disorders, stones, and urinary infections.
� Corn silk (Zea mays)--A soothing demulcent with mild diuretic properties.
� Crampbark (Viburnum opulus)--Relaxes smooth muscle and is an antispasmodic.
� Gravel root (Eupatorium purpureum)--Named for its traditional use as a treatment for stones and gravel of the kidneys.
� Kava kava (Piper methysticum)--Has antianxiety and sedative qualities.
� Khella (Ammi visnagi)--Has a long tradition in the treatment of kidney stones. Scientific research has demonstrated that the herb works as a calcium channel blocker-type antispasmodic, which targets and relaxes ureter tissue. This allows easier passage of small stones.
� Seven barks (Hydrangea aborescens)--Has a sedative effect on the urinary system; used in the treatment of kidney stones.
� Stone root (Collinsonia canadensis)--Strong diuretic with a history of use in acute and preventative treatment of kidney stones.

Homeopathy
Homeopathic medicines have shown to be effective in treating the pain and spasm of an associated kidney stone. When treating the passage of a kidney stone with homeopathy, it is important to remember that the size of the stone must be small enough to pass without surgical intervention and that the administration of the correct homeopathic medicine will probably change the clinical picture, which will then require a different remedy. Other therapies, such as herbal medicines, hot packs, and supplements, can be used with homeopathy.
The following homeopathic remedies have been shown to be effective in acute, symptomatic relief of a kidney stone:
� Berberis vulgaris--Indicated for sharp, stitching pains that radiate to the groin area and right-sided kidney stones.
� Cantharis--Indicated for urine that burns and is passed drop by drop.
� Colocynthis--Indicated for pain over the whole abdomen while urinating.
� Ocimum canum--Indicated for pain accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
� Pennyroyal--Indicated for frequent urination and left-sided ureter spasm or stone.
The standard dosage for acute symptom relief is 3 pellets of 30C every 4 hours until symptoms resolve. Lower potencies, such as 6X, 6C, 30X, may be given every 2 to 4 hours. If the right remedy is chosen, symptoms should improve shortly after the second dose. If there is no improvement after 3 doses, a different remedy is given. Note: Most homeopathic remedies are delivered in a pellet that has a lactose (milk sugar) base. If you are lactose intolerant, be advised that a homeopathic liquid may be a better choice for you.
Hydrotherapy
� Castor oil pack--Castor oil has antiinflammatory properties and is useful in relieving painful cramping or spasms.
� Hot pack--Placed over the affected area, hot packs can relax muscles that are tense from pain and spasm, which allows for easier passage of the stone. Use caution in the elderly and diabetics, as they are less sensitive to heat and may be burned.
� Hot vinegar pack--Indicated for severe pain: use a 50:50 vinegar-water solution and place over affected area.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Thanks for all the info.

Sent

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement