LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Salt & C / with spectacular results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt & C / with spectacular results
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought to tell you that Salt & C as in www.lymephotos.com and in modified measures is now standard practice for every borrelia patient at my doctor's office (after ART testing), as well as other diseases.

Results often spectacular, from tapeworms and ascarides to pill remnants that had been in the belly for over twenty years.

I will not elaborate any further here, because I am not in the mood to let anyone shoot me again. So if you are serious and have a question as to modified program, etc., please contact me.

P.S. Also go to www.morgellons.org[/URL]

And, please, don't add to Lyme & Co. problems by eating sushi!

[

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 16 May 2004).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john in ga
Member # 4603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john in ga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the last time I saw my llmd he
suggested trying vit C,trying to get up to

a high level.I'm on 17,000mg daily and have
felt better than any time in over 2 years.

I also take abx ,heparin,hormones so not
sure which doing what or the whole bunch

together.whatever works ,right?

Posts: 89 | From augusta,ga usa | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gigi,

interesting...I"ll have to ask dr. H again about it. He told me no vit. c, other than what was in my multi vit...something about problems with my abx...be worth looking into

also these pics are the same ones we saw a few months back with different info printed under them...gross that they are....weird they'd show up with new info about salt and vit. c. I think tincup posted them with something else....

thanks for the info though..

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Li1dreamer625
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi as always for bringing such great information here for others.

I see the Biodentist in West Palm that you recommended to me and ART tested well for the Salt & C protocol.

I too have had excellent results from this!

It has given me the single most energy increase I have had with this disease since ICHT. Fatique, Muscle/Joint, and Brainfog are my primary symptoms at this point. I have experienced rapid improvements in all areas.

I felt fantastic the first few weeks on it and then got a pretty good herx which is starting to level out now. The energy overall remains so much better. I just plane feel better!!

I am really loving it! It is also a very easy and inexpensive protocol to follow.

Have also had all my amalgams removed and am slowly detoxing heavy metals. I ART test for DMPS usually once a month, Chlorella, Metalfree, and Detox-max. This has been slow going and I have just felt spent until I started the Salt & C.

All the best - Tami

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many days is a person supposed to stay on the salt & C protocol?
Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site says it depends on how long you hve been ill..they said some have been on it for two to three years..

I assume that's the long end..

Mo

On first overview, flashes come to mind..my Grandparents believed salt water (the ocean) heals..I believe it's an Old Irish idea..certain times of the year they would sit in the water all day..astually referred to it as "The Cure"..

I also had a Bradfor Microscope reading..where I saw things identicle to the picrures of Bb, and also babesia (both of which I have had confirmed by DNA testing..

I also had a dream the other noght..one of the few I have remembered for a long time..very vivid..

Where a worm was crawling out of my skin..

Interesting..

Has anyone here done this protocol..long term and at these doses?

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 16 May 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Please note P.S. on my post above.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Li1dreamer625
Unregistered

My understanding is that you do the protocol at theraputic doses for 3 months. Then a lower maintenance dose may be implemented.

The salt tabs I am using are 1 gram per tab. They are distributed by a company called Consolidated Midland Corp. in Brewster, NY and the only ingredient is Sodium Chloride (Normal Salt). They cost about $12.00 for a bottle of 100.

The Vit C I am using is Emer'gen-C. It comes in (36) 1 gram packets for 9.99. I get the tangerine flavor - it tastes great!

I take 12 grams of each Salt & C in 3 divided doses.

I also do a Niacin flush with every dose 200mg. and 1/4 tab of Folic acid per my Doc's instructions.

I worked up to the 12 grams of each gradually. Vitamin C of course is to bowel tolerance so it had to be worked up even more gradually.

Hope this gives everyone a clearer idea of the protocol. I have had no side affects other than very noticable improvement and herx (increase in joint pain & fatique) when I reached full dose. It lasted for around 4 days and improved when I focused heavily on lymphatic drainage and ozone sauna.

I am now starting to enjoy feeling better again. I have 2 months to go on a theraputic dose of this protocol.

All the best -tami

LJamesJohnson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LJamesJohnson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Li1Dreamer625...thanks for the details on how you do this.

You said:

I take 12 grams of each Salt & C in 3 divided doses...I worked up to the 12 grams of each gradually. Vitamin C of course is to bowel tolerance so it had to be worked up even more gradually.

How long did it take you to work your way up to 12 gms of each? How many did you start with? Also, when you take the 12 in 3 divided doses, are you taking them immediately after each other, or dividing them up during the day?

Thanks again for all the details.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone else take the emergen-c before?

I remember a long time ago, before I went into remiission with lyme back in 1991, i was on this..I had forgotten about it...

I was thinking about givign it another try..anyone else take it? I think I'll go slowly though. like try to disolve a third a pack at first and see how i do with that first...

anyone?

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Li1dreamer625
Unregistered

James - It took me 2 weeks to get up to the full dose of salt and 3 weeks to get up to 12 grams of Vit. C. I still have to back the C down some days to bowel tolerance but usually I can get the full dose in.

I take it like in three divided doses of 4 grams salt and 4 grams C. I take 200mg Niacin for flush and 1/4 tab of folic acid with each dose.

I forgot to mention last time that I am also take 10 grams of MSM with each dose.

Lisa - You can get the salt from your pharmacist - he may need to order it but a prescription is not necessary.

I am still doing really well on this protocal - much more energy than I have had in a long time. I definitely am improving daily.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

All the best - tami

jen13
Unregistered

I like emergen-c, but remember, it has other stuff in it, too. Theres no reason you can't take buffered vitamin c (which is less likel to cause diarrhea).

I'm not sure why they added in the C--if it's synergistic, or simply immune boosting. I spoke with Gigi and she has used apple cider vinegar and finds it effective.

The salt may be what's doing it. Think of brine--preserving meat--salt is antibacterial. It tends to inhibit the organisms that are pathogenic to us. Although I just saw a clip from BBC news about extremophiles (bacteria) living in saltbeds in Utah, adapted not only to high levels of salt, but protecting themselves from UV light by emitting some kind of orange color. Life can evolve to adapt to anything, but that's not really relevant here, because if you can get the #'s of pathogens down, your immmune system can take care of the rest.

Tami, it's interesting to me how you are also using the ozone sauna.

At first I thought this protocol was a joke, but Gigi says Dr. K has spoken with the people who made the website. Sinced I crave salt already and use it liberally and tend to have low-ish blood pressure, it's something I'm curious about. Anyway, I like natural approaches, and I'm moving my vitamin/mineral Iv's to weekly, with the glutathione as well. Glutathione is pretty good at helping the body mop up inflammation and I suspect, herxheimers.

Li1dreamer625
Unregistered

The other stuff in the emergen-c are B vits and minerals all stuff that are also good. I choose it because that is what Klinghart recommends to do with this particular protocal. It also comes in a "lite" form which has no sugar.

My protocols these days are all natural and I am making really good progress. This one you can see immediate results which is great. An added benefit is that this is broad spectrum meaning it seems to affect numerous infectious stuff as well as intestinal parasites.

And yes.. my ozone sauna is so helpful. I feel like it has kept my head above water in the gentlest way. It is such a profound healing modality. Just floods the body with oxygen.

jen13
Unregistered

So glad to hear it, Tami. Those who win the battle persist in spite of other treatment failures.

Hyperbaric has been my mainstay along with vitamin/mineral IV therapy. I had so many work pressures on me in the last few months I was afraid to start back in on the ozone (I way overdid it when I first got the setup!) and am off to a 4 day conference tomorrow, but as soon as I get back, I'm starting in on it very gently. It is a very powerful modality, that's for sure. I am also going to try salt and vitamin C since I already like them both, and I think I'd tolerate it well.

Each individual has to find their own various therapies.

Keep us posted. Again, so glad you're doing better.

suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean to contradict this treatment but I thought this much salt would be really bad for you.

Surely sodium has to be in balance in the body? Can someone explain how it works?

I trust Dr K's faith in this protocol but just wish I could understand it.

Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

I saw the evidence of salt & C or salt & cider vinegar (along with very high doses of niacin (6,000mg)) myself tonight, crawling out of my husband's hand, between thumb and index finger, looking like a white thread and moving!

Another mutation of some invading microorganism! And he has never eaten raw fish ever. Just like many of us, Lyme and environmental toxicity = weak system let the invaders take over.

This program works and the longer you do it, the easier it feels. The first couple of weeks can be rough.

I am certain that some are leaving via other exits that we just cannot see, since he has done heavy parasite treatments before
(Sputnik, Arise & Shine, Albendazole, etc.)

One patient I am familiar with saved the thing that crawled out through her scalp, put it in a jar with lid; two days later she had flying insects, with wings, in the jar.
I ask myself - how many parasites do we catch from flying insects??????

Before we were brainwashed into eating no salt, 100 years ago, people working in the field and people that are active used to eat an average of 20 grams of salt a day. The average person now
consumes 1.5 to 2 grams. Parasites do not like salty body fluids and they head for the exit.

I would rather eat a bit of salt than live with too many parasites. If you chose the full salt (Real Salt or Hunza Salt), you will have the benefit of other minerals (70-80 of them) which have been removed from the table salt that we buy in the grocery store containing only sodium chloride; all the other minerals have been removed and aluminum as a drying agent plus an anti-caking agent added! neither of which contribute anything to our well-being.

My Mom used to sprinkle salt on the slugs in the garden if they threatened her flowers!
It worked then and it works now. Salt is a lot healthier than any prescription drug you may be given for parasites - I am certain of that!

Also your kidneys/adrenals will feel better since they need valuable salt to produce aldosterone, cortisol, progesterone, testosterone, etc.

Go for it!

GiGi
Member # 259

double post deleted

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 20 May 2004).]

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I took grams and grams of C! I didn't even think to mentioned it, since I'm so used to its power. I'd go so far as to say, without the C there'd probably be 2 possibilities-- either I wouldn't be here (or anywhere else) , or I'd be here all my waking hours (still not that much) trying to find a way to get better. I would bet that C is that important. I use mainy "ascerola C", but got it for half price- it's pricey as vitamins go (but still a couple orders of magnitude less than pharma-abx)
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LJamesJohnson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LJamesJohnson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it matter which vitamin C you buy? The original website said any kind will work.I started with EmergenC then switched to the cheapest stuff I could find.

Also, how long before major stuff happens?

When I went on this program a week ago, my energy increased within hours, and stayed that way for a few days. Now, nausea some of the time hits within minutes of taking the salt and C. Other things happen, but what is candida versus dying critters is, at the moment, beyond me.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LJamesJohnson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2682

Forgot to mention, my blood pressure started to go up as soon as I went on the program.

When Lyme was active my blood pressure, along with my body temperature, was always low. Both went to normal after ICHT.

Now, on salt and C for just a matter of days, my blood pressure is slowly rising above normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

lymiecanuck
Unregistered

This probably would help with candida as well I would think. /
Ricardo
Member # 2199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone explain to me how this C and salt protocol works with the chlorella protocol Dr. K has recommended?

Also, I thought that C limits the effectiveness of antibiotics; also, interferes with the effectiveness of many nutrients (supplements). So how is it scheduled?

Last question: Has anyone found this much C hard on the GI tract or stomach? If so, how do you combat that? I do know that around 4,000 mg C (I think two or three times per day)is recommended for persons wanting to fight off UTI's--nasty infections!! It worked for me, but it was recommended not to continue it too long.

Thanks for your comments...Ricardo

Posts: 97 | From North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, Sodium is a factor in high blood pressure - which is why people with high bp are advised to avoid added salt in food; and to use calcium chloride (marketed as "lite salt").

Excessive salt is very dangerous for some people; I would advise anyone contemplating this therapy to know in advance how it may affect you. Medical assessment of your fitness for this may be important.

Dan

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 21 May 2004).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet it's a good idea to check with Doc as per med condition/BP issues.

LJJ..which kind of salt are you using?

Ricardo,

I'm guessing it would be hard on the GI..I haven't tried this since pre-Lyme..actually, that was with just C..as reccomended in my Prescriptions for Natural Healing manual as a sort of a flush.

Pardon me..I'll have to get graphic..but..you take the C in large amounts..increasing until your #2 is of a "tapioca" consistancy..and when you reach that level..

you stay at that dose for a while..

I wonder if this protocol will have the same effect.

Also..GiGi..would you guess that one should do one of the other parasite cleanses first..or do you think this could be just as effective?

My son and I ate allot of sushi together when we lived together in NYC...he's liked it since he was three. We always had high quality..but..

Yikes..if I actually see anything, I am goint to FREAK OUT!

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jen13
Unregistered

YOu can get buffered vitamin C or ester C, unlikely to cause diarrhea as easily.

I suspect the salt part is more impt than the vitamin C part.

LJamesJohnson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2682

I'm using sodium chloride in capsule form from a local compounding pharmacy.
LJamesJohnson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2682

Dang wrote:

Sodium is a factor in high blood pressure - which is why people with high bp are advised to avoid added salt in food; and to use calcium chloride (marketed as "lite salt").

However, calcium chloride is not part of the protocol. I wonder if it will work?

DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Here is some supporting evidence, in vitro, on salt(NaCl) and Bb mobility; other salts are mentioned, as well. I've cut-and-pasted paragraphs and give the link in attribution to the creator of the paper, and site.

Also, there is mention of other salts, and agents and their effect on Bb's motility.

The expressions occurring just before the chemical symbols refers to the strenght of the salt mentioned, specifically the concentration in 'moles/liter'(chemo-talk).
The "M" before the chemical symbol means "mole(s)" and is a standard in chemistry for total number of molecules in one liter of a liquid, usu. water.

The article is found on the site:
http://jb.asm.org/cgi/content/full/180/2/231?view=full&pmid=9440510

"A high concentration of NaCl is needed to make B. burgdorferi motile in the chemotaxis buffer. We varied the concentration of NaCl in the buffer and found that 0.1 M NaCl was minimally required for motility whereas 0.15 M NaCl resulted in the greatest motility

When 0.15 M NaCl was replaced with 0.15 M KCl, 0.15 M LiCl, 0.1 M MgCl2, or 0.1 M CaCl2, motility was greatly diminished, suggesting that factors other than the ionic strength or osmolarity of 0.15 M NaCl modulate the motility of B. burgdorferi. The optimal pH for B. burgdorferi is 7.6, although B. burgdorferi cells exhibit some motility in solutions with pHs ranging from 4.0 to 9.0. Heavy metal ions such as Ni2+, Co2+, and Cu2+ were very toxic to B. burgdorferi motility (data not shown);
A high concentration of NaCl is needed to make B. burgdorferi motile in the chemotaxis buffer. We varied the concentration of NaCl in the buffer and found that 0.1 M NaCl was minimally required for motility whereas 0.15 M NaCl resulted in the greatest motility. When 0.15 M NaCl was replaced with 0.15 M KCl, 0.15 M LiCl, 0.1 M MgCl2, or 0.1 M CaCl2, motility was greatly diminished, suggesting that factors other than the ionic strength or osmolarity of 0.15 M NaCl modulate the motility of B. burgdorferi. The optimal pH for B. burgdorferi is 7.6, although B. burgdorferi cells exhibit some motility in solutions with pHs ranging from 4.0 to 9.0. Heavy metal ions such as Ni2+, Co2+, and Cu2+ were very toxic to B. burgdorferi motility (data not shown); therefore, EDTA (104 M) was added to chelate these heavy metal ions. The addition of BSA, a major protein in serum, was found to help B. burgdorferi cells retain motility for a longer time."

"Motility of bacteria can be driven either by proton motive force or by sodium motive force (3, 15). Since a high concentration of NaCl was required for motility of B. burgdorferi, we tested whether a sodium-driven flagellar motor played a role in motility of B. burgdorferi. Proton motive force inhibitors such as 2,4-dinitrophenol (1 mM) and dicyclohexylcarbodiimide (1 mM) strongly inhibited motility, while 1 mM amiloride, a known inhibitor of sodium motive force, had no effect on motility. These data suggest that the flagellar motor of B. burgdorferi may be driven by the proton motive force."

"Motility of B. burgdorferi. Under the microscope, we observed that B. burgdorferi cells grown in BSK II medium (with 5% rabbit serum) between 20 and 37�C exhibited motility. When the growth temperature was >37�C, both the rate of growth and motility were reduced. B. burgdorferi cells grown at 37�C were actively motile from early log phase (OD605 < 0.01, ~106 cells/ml) to late log phase (OD605 = 0.08 to 0.1). As the cells grew into stationary phase (OD605 > 0.1), a marked reduction in motility was observed.
Under a microscope, B. burgdorferi cells moved at speeds of 2 to 10 �m/s in the growth medium. As reported by Goldstein et al. (16), unstimulated B. burgdorferi cells swam forward or backward, paused, and flexed.

Chemotactic behavior of cells with a self-entangled end. B. burgdorferi has one flagellar bundle at each cell end; the two bundles overlap in the cell center. The observed behavior of swimming, flexing, and pausing is the combined movement of both flagellar bundles. To understand how the cellular behavior is affected by rotation of flagella, it is important to study the behavior of a single flagellar bundle in response to chemoattractants or repellents. To this end, we used a newly developed method to produce spirochetes which contain only one active flagellar bundle.
When B. burgdorferi was placed in a solution with a pH of >8.5, the cell surface seemed to become very sticky. When cells were resuspended at high density, many of them adhered to form large cell clumps (Fig. 2a). Cells in the clumps were still alive and motile. When cells were resuspended at low density, the ends of a small portion (~1 to 5%) of them became self-entangled. Cells with both ends self-entangled were found to be nonmotile (data not shown), indicating that tangling of cell ends with the cell body prevents normal functioning of the flagellar bundle. Cells with one self-entangled end were studied (Fig. 2b). These cells have only one active flagellar bundle located at the nontangled end; the gyration of this free end indicates the direction of rotation of the single flagellar bundle. When the nontangled end rotates CCW (as viewed from the entangled end), it produces a short-wavelength helical cylinder and pulls the cell forward. When the free end rotates CW, it produces a long-wavelength helical wave and pushes the cell backward. We studied the chemotactic behavior of these cells. Without any stimulus, the free end rotated CCW (pulling cells forward) or CW (pushing cells backward) or stopped rotation (pausing). With addition of an attractant (e.g., 1% rabbit serum), the free end rotated exclusively CCW or CW with almost no pausing (Fig. 3a). When a repellent (e.g., 100 mM ethanol) was added, the free end was found to have much increased frequency of pausing, and the duration of each period of pausing was much longer than for unstimulated cells (Fig. 3b).
Unique cellular anatomy and distinctive motility enable spirochetes to move effectively in highly viscous bodily fluids. Therefore, it is likely that motility and chemotaxis of spirochetes play a role in pathogenesis. In this work, we studied the chemotactic behavior of B. burgdorferi, a known motile pathogenic spirochete. We found that B. burgdorferi did not exhibit chemotaxis toward sugars or amino acids. Instead, it moved toward serum, which could enable B. burgdorferi to move toward the bloodstream from tissues. B. burgdorferi avoided high concentrations of KCl, which could serve as a mechanism for B. burgdorferi to stay in the interstitial fluids (since there is a high concentration of KCl inside cells) and penetrate through the cellular junctions. B. burgdorferi tried to avoid hydrogen peroxide, a chemical released by neutrophils and macrophages to kill bacteria. This could serve as a protective mechanism for B. burgdorferi in its interaction with the immune system. It is also interesting that motility of B. burgdorferi requires a high concentration of NaCl and pH 7.6, which are the normal physiological conditions for interstitial fluids. In any case, our data suggest that chemotaxis may indeed be important for the pathogenesis of B. burgdorferi. What we report here is a classic example of chemotaxis very similar to those studied in other bacteria; however, through understanding the conditions for motility and chemotaxis of B. burgdorferi and the chemical nature of attractants and repellents, we learned a lot about how nature has modified similar systems for different purposes. In this case, the bacterium is one which is fully motile inside the human body and may use its chemotaxis mechanism to find target tissues.
Despite many similarities, there are some fundamental differences between the chemotaxis of E. coli and that of B. burgdorferi, which holds considerable fascination for those interested in questions regarding the motility and chemotaxis of bacteria. One of these questions is how chemotaxis is achieved at the cellular level. In the case of E. coli, chemotaxis is achieved by regulating the direction of rotation of the flagellar bundle. In response to attractants, E. coli flagella rotate CCW, which forms a bundle at the posterior end and pushes cells swimming ahead; in response to repellents, E. coli flagella rotate CW, which makes the bundle fall apart and bacteria tumble. Therefore, chemotaxis of E. coli is achieved by switching the direction of rotation of the flagellar bundles. However, for B. burgdorferi and other spirochetes, in order to swim forward or backward, the flagellar bundles at two ends of the cell have to rotate in different directions (6, 9); therefore, simply switching the rotation direction of flagellar bundles as in E. coli will not produce a similar effect. Instead, coordination of the two flagellar bundles seems to be important for achieving chemotaxis at the cellular level (11). The data presented on chemotaxis of B. burgdorferi are consistent with those of previous studies of chemotaxis in other spirochetes (11). In addition, the studies of B. burgdorferi cells with a self-entangled end suggested that the frequency and duration of pausing of the flagella are also important in the chemotactic response. In response to attractants, both of the flagellar bundles of a spirochete rotate without pausing, which could make them coordinate and swim in one direction. In response to repellents, the flagellar bundles pause frequently and extensively. This would disrupt the coordination between two flagellar bundles and cause cells to flex and pause, preventing cells from going into the repellent area.
: Arthritis Rheum. 1994 Jul;37(7):1070-7."

dq

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 22 May 2004).]

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 25 May 2004).]

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Thanks, Diffy Que..

I can't read it right now, but I was wondering how in the heck you come up with all the info you put up here!

Thanks..

Mo

DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi Mo,

Unrelenting Sx impell the search for relief.

dq

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement