LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Garlic Plunge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Garlic Plunge
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read many posts so on this.....can't decide to do the freeze dried or the fresh stuff. So I am starting with the fresh since it is cheaper and natual.
Any suggestions form anyone trying both kinds would be appreciated. I guess I won't lose my internet friends since you can't smell the garlic! Hope my in town friends can handle this.
robi

Ps Just crushed and took my first clove. DAMN!!!!!!! That burns!! Felt weak afterwards for a minute or 2........guess that's ok........

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Garlinase 4000 (one per day) each dose contains 4,000 mg of fresh garlic; 5,000 mcg of allicin; 11,000 mcg of allin.

Yes, it's expensive at $33.50 per 100 tablets. I sometimes skip a day to make the box last.

One tablet is equal to 4,000 mg of fresh garlic. I could never eat that much!

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We alternate between Garlinase 4000 and Garlic Factors by Natural Factors. Both products were created by Dr. Michael T. Murray.

I take anywhere from 1 - 4 a day. Depending on how I'm feeling. I take one a day for maintenance, but last week we all started fighting that darn summer bug that's going around.......so, I up'd the garlic and vitamin C.

I just love garlic!!!

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this about a year ago and I think it is worthwhile reading to get the finer points about garlic consumption.....
I took tons of the freeze dried and I think that took care of many an undesirable bug in my body. I am still well years after garlic
(and of course a few other tasty remedies).

It is a mighty helper.

Topic: A little bit about Garlic ........
GiGi
Frequent Contributor
posted 29 June 2003 17:33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At a recent 3-day seminar on ART I, at the end my doctor hung on a little talk about various remedies he uses most frequently such as garlic, cilantro, chlorella, etc. Here is what he said about garlic. It came with some nice overhead statistics and research, which I cannot give you here because I can't show you the video of the seminar.
Here it goes - in rough:

"A little bit about Garlic....

The issue came up - many of you have heard me speak on garlic. First of all, here is the study on garlic --- on h. pylori - it is extremely effective to give freeze-dried garlic, or in this case garlic oil for h. pylori, which is one of the major infections that we are dealing with these days.

Here is a German study - a comparison between Bear Garlic and garlic. Bear garlic is wild garlic, which is the plant that grows in Central Europe and is absolutely great. That's what the old Germanic tribes used to do - they attacked Rome and brought the Roman Empire down in April, of whatever year that was, because in March, when the bear garlic comes out and they cut and are eating the leaves of the bear garlic and they are getting so much energy from it, they don't know what to do with it. Their hormone levels go up, all their infections go away, and ....
(laughingly) the Germanic Tribes they were doing this thing every March, beginning of April they would eat bear garlic and cleared out all the parasites, all the infections, and then went and conquered Rome and did all these other things..... All of it is long forgotten, but it has an effect on you and one of the reasons I always go in April to Germany is - my friend overthere grows a hugh plantation of bear garlic among the trees in the woods and makes me this bear garlic pesto. I do four weeks of bear garlic pesto and can tell you that it is for me incredible.....

A little bit about Allicin. Garlic is associated with this compound Allicin, which has been shown to be the most potent natural antibiotic. (showing an exhibit of MIT)
It is extremely effective for Staph aureus, and some of the physicians among you know that there is no antibiotic left that's effective. Well, there is plenty of research that shows that freeze-dried garlic is absolutely 100% effective for it, and it puzzles me that science ignores that. This is from peer-reviewed journals, not small stuff. Candida - may be important for you - that freeze-dried garlic is an absolute for treating Candida.

Let me talk about Allicin. Garlic contains Alliin, which is the chemical precursor to Allicin, and they get converted to
Allicin through an enzyme called Alliinase. That happens when you chew garlic; when you break up the cell membrane of the plant cells, the enzyme that is in the cell wall gets released and combines with alliin and then allicin is created within 20 seconds.

Allicin has a half life of 10 days. Any of the garlic products that you buy - garlic oil, kyotic garlic, etc. - there is no allicin left in it. So any prior experience you have had with any garlic products, other than fresh garlic, forget that. Erase that out of your mind ``tried garlic once and it didn't work'' - put that on the side.
The only garlic products that have their full allicin-releasing potential left is fresh garlic and freeze-dried garlic.

When you swallow garlic, when you chew it for a few seconds and wait for 20 seconds before the conversion after you chew it, and it hits the stomach acid, the enzyme is immediately neutralized and the conversion doesn't happen. So if you take raw garlic and eat it, it doesn't happen either.

If you eat it on a full stomach (on a full stomach the Ph comes up from 1.5 to 4.5); you can eat it at the end of a meal and the conversion happens. You chew the garlic, the enzyme is activated, you swallow it, it doesn't get killed by the stomach acid, and you get the full allicin release from it.

Chewing garlic has the disadvantage has that you smell like........... (laughter)

When you eat garlic, you smell. When you take freeze-dried garlic in capsules, there is no body odor. There is a mild body odor that you can detect if you go close to the skin of the person who is taking it.

Garlic is also very effective for treatment of amoebas and giardia, most species of worms; in Lyme Disease - Dr. Zhang in New York published papers on the effectiveness that allicin also penetrates the blood-brain barrier and goes to the CSF and can clean up things there.

It is really a fantastic agent for our time. The way to take it is 2-3 capsules at the end of each meal - needs to be taken at least three times a day, better four times a day, just like penicillin. Remember, penicillin you have to take every six hours, you have to take it four times a day to make it work, and the same with freeze-dried garlic.

It is great for general health.

Question: Do you chew up these capsules?

Answer: Freeze-dried garlic - you swallow it at the end of a meal when the Ph has come up; then the juices in the gut mix with the garlic, put it in solution, activate the conversion and you get the whole shebang (sp?) of the allicin release.

I want you to try to remember that any time that any prior experience, when people talk about garlic ``yeh, tried it and worked a little bit'' or so, they didn't do it right, I promise you. If you follow these rules, it becomes the most powerful medicine that we have.

It is also for ......... clostridium, there is a study there - some of the modern infections that we have no solutions for in medicine, try garlic.

Question: either the fresh or the freeze-dried - you want to take following the meal?

Answer: Yes, there is no point - if you cook garlic, you destroy the enzyme. Also if you put it on your salad - most people eat their salad before the meal, forget it - it doesn't work.

Question: You want it to be activated after it hits your stomach?

Answer: yes. If you can't take the capsule, put it in water, stir it, wait 20 seconds until the conversion happens, then drink it. Then it won't be destroyed by the stomach acid.

The best solution for topical problems - use garlic tincture on the skin, by far the best garlic tincture is from Morin Labs. (describes the technical aspects of manufacture). Even though the garlic is broken up in small particles where there are still some cells intact, the moment you put it on the skin, from the drying-effect the cells rupture, the allicin is released and it is a great antimicrobial. So for fungal infections (feet and everywhere) use garlic tincture - major for staph infections on the skin (freeze dried garlic inside - tincture outside).

Tincture is also great to use orally. Great for gum disease. Do it at night - slush it around in your mouth, go to bed, don't swallow it - just sort of leave it there, and it kills all the microorganisms. If you have a partner, if you both do it (there is this habituation to the garlic taste and smell), if your partner also does it, in the morning either one of you can smell each other and will not be offended by it.

It is a powerful tool of the past and of the future."

It's a must for Lyme, viral infections (fish oil too for virals). From my experience.

IP:

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried garlic in various forms. I found best seemed to be just to choke down raw cloves. I didn't worry too much about the smell-- we're all garlic lovers around here. I would eat some more stuff and brush my teeth before going to work, though...
I thought it had a dramatic effect, medically, for me. Especially when combined with artimesia anua or its extract, artimisinin. (took that for babesia, mainly). I would strongly recommend it. The amount?.For me, it seemed, the more garlic, the better, with no negative effect whatsever.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy-OH:
I use Garlinase 4000 (one per day) each dose contains 4,000 mg of fresh garlic; 5,000 mcg of allicin; 11,000 mcg of allin.

Yes, it's expensive at $33.50 per 100 tablets. I sometimes skip a day to make the box last.

One tablet is equal to 4,000 mg of fresh garlic. I could never eat that much!

4g/dose, 100 doses-- 4g dried is probabably roughly. 4 cloves, about 1/3 of a medium size bulb of garlic. So it would seem the bottle has about 30 bulbs worth in it. Yes, you can probabably do a bit better by getting it raw, but I'd say thats not at all a bad deal! What about the quality, though? I can get organic, and when the "processing" involves only cutting it up, chew it , making a face, and swallowing quick and hard before the tongue burns too much, not much extra stuff gets in there! That would be an argument for the real (organic) stuff.
But again, I did both raw and pills of various sorts. The 'garlinase' sounds like a very good choice for the pills component, though.
With the raw stuff, it's important to chew as much as possible to release the allicin. (I know that can be tough, but think about those lyme 'chetes having an even harder time with it!)

DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too think the Garlinase 4000 is the one to go with. I have tried others, including the Garlinase 2000, which I don't think the co. makes anymore. The 4000 packs a punch that gave me diarrhea at first. I skip the days that I get the runs. I also eat lots of garlic so, the combination probably triggered the big D.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to avoid all garlic that is not certified organic.

Most regular commercial garlic is loaded with pesticides and other toxins, etc. Don't touch it. You want it to heal you and not contaminate you more. Garlic absorbs toxins out in nature where it is growing, whatever it is exposed to. None of us need more toxins!!!

It took my doc a year to find clean garlic for patients. The only one we now use is Biopure. It was not found in California or China. But comes from an area that is not exposed to nearby spraying of other crops, etc. and is not grown in soil that has been contaminated by previous farming. It takes years for the soil to become healthy again.

Don't shortchange yourself on this one. I used to take 9 capsules in my bad days, now years ago, and I would not have wanted to swallow that many raw bulbs ever. The result would have been that I would avoid taking the things. Be sure to time the intake. I have posted about it repeatedly.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link for garlinase 4000 for $20 per 100 tabs. Is this what everyone's using ? http://www.nutricraze.com/herbs-alternative-blends-garlic-c-6_608.html?=&sort=3a

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do use fresh..

You can just dice it up in tiny pieces and immediately take is down the hatch with a swig of juice.

No burning ..allicin is activated.

Can't help ya on the other end, tho..for that, you're on your owm.

Probably literally

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 12 May 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post is over a year old......but we are still using Garlinase 4000. When the flu and such are going around, we finely chop up a fresh organic clove of garlic and and immediately put it in a few ounces of orange juice. This illiminates "chewing" the garlic and it is at it's most potent state when swallowed.

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking pills for 3 months and started to eat fresh at the end of dinner on top of a salad.

Had to stop for a few day cuz I stunk!!!!

I will start again monday.

Heather

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, does anyone have an opinion about Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract?
http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/kyolic1.html

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I tried the Kyolic aged recently for a few weeks. I ahd also tried a jar of it about a year ago. I definitely found the 4000 to be more effective. Just my opinion.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do as Gigi says : eat the raw garlic MINCED on your salad AFTER your meal. It has helped me a lot.

I've also used freeze dried. Brand name: Eclectic Institute freeze dried garlic, it is ORGANIC. Whole Foods carry it, as well as other health food stores

Posts: 108 | From CA usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom63376
Member # 7220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom63376     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Garlique (5000 mcg allicin) just as
good as Garlinase?? I couldn't find
Garlinase where I shop..

Thanks

Posts: 57 | From St. Peters, Mo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi:

Can a regular individual order from Biopure? When I looked at their web site, it sounded like you had to be a medical professional.

thanks

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind..sorry. I was thinking about a different company.

quote:
Originally posted by tequeslady:
Gigi:

Can a regular individual order from Biopure? When I looked at their web site, it sounded like you had to be a medical professional.

thanks

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement