LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What works for you? Air hunger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What works for you? Air hunger
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Icon 5 posted      Profile for wlf5286     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

I have posted before on this subject & have done a search but i wonder if those of you who suffer air hunger, would write a few words about what works for you. I want to give my Doc this list after some imput. He says he thinks that air hunger is due to a malfunction in the brain chemistry rather than oxygen starvation. Mean while, i continue to feel suffocated.
My doc is very willing to try different things with me to alleviate my symptoms but so far with this one, we have drawn a blank.

Your opinions & experiences would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Best wishes to all,
Wendy. x

Posts: 57 | From England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wendy,

I have had this symptoms myself over the years, sometimes to the point of it being debilitating. I have had pulse ox done at hospital and it always showed I was getting plenty of oxygen, although, I felt as though I was struggling to get air. Any amount of walking or exercise or any exercision at all made it much worse.

I tried inhalers, breathing treatments, was never given oxygen. I found that just staying on the antibiotics, limiting my activities until this symptom passed was all that would help me.

I hope this passes quickly for you, I know how uncomfortable and scary this is feeling as though you can't get enough air.

You can do a search on here, there have been many discussions on this over the years.

Good luck, hope you find a course of treatment that will work for you, I think it is just the Lyme manifesting itself in yet another of it's cruel forms.

Barb

Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My LLMD told me that airhunger is a symptom of Babesia. I don't know what works for it though.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got this and doctor's were searching for answers, they would check my oxygen level.

They would tell me that my oxygen level looked better than theirs.

But, after a year of treatment, I still have difficulty in this area.

It comes and goes. Mostly, it comes.

I am wondering now if it is part of the weakness that has affected all of my body adn how to get my strength back.

I hope that with time and treatment this will go away.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wlf5286     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your sympathies & own experiences guys. Maybe i was hoping for too much to find a solution!
I am waiting to find out if i have babs too, already know i have Ehlichia & Bartonella but i think it is more likely the Lyme as i don;t get it all the time. It does feel like breathing through a sponge or straw! What a perfect description! I get it worse at night too.
I'd still like to hear from anyone that has found something that helps. I have found that using a facial sauna can ease the diaphragmatic spasms that i also get but this desperate urge to breath deeply just doesn't go away.

Thanks to all,
Wendy. x

Posts: 57 | From England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I never knew this is what it was called! I have this symptom and, as everyone else has already said, my pulse ox is always perfect (98 or 99 or even 100 sometimes) so doctors always just dismiss it. I ended up in the ER years ago with this symptom and was told it was from the Biaxin I was on at the time but I think it was probably a herx and I just didn't realize it (didn't know much about Lyme then). I don't know anything that helps this. I'm just really glad to know that other people know what it's like (well, not glad that other people have it...you know what I mean).

--Annie

------------------
To get where you need to be
You'll go through anything.
--Shawn Mullins

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this with both Lyme and babesia. Zithromax helped me a lot.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sleepy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sleepy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wendy, have you had any chest xrays done?
I had the air hunger, but also pain and the diaphragm spasming and 2 xrays done over 2 days showed that I was collecting fluid around one of my lungs (pleurisy). The ID doc thought it was a very unusual herx. But, I *know* that air hunger feeling. Holy smokes, do I ever. I was calling the hospital(& my doc & anyone who would listen!) begging for oxygen and was refused because my sat rates were fine. It ended up being a pleural effusion, but I also ended up with a partially collapsed lung and some other respiratory issues because of it. So this could be a bigger fish & maybe a second opinion?

A respiratory therapist came to the house this past week and gave me a sheet of exercises to do. If this is your problem and it causes a lot of pain to inhale, (hence the shallow breathing)...the advice I was given was to try to breathe to the point of pain and also to try to do stretches (like sidebends) that will open up the chest wall and diaphragm. Shallow breathing will only cause further damage to the lungs. Also, nose breathing, deliberate coughing and moist heat (such as a hot wet towel) wrapped around the lung areas - if the alveoli are affected.Oh, and hot showers (again if the alveoli are affected) to try to move the obstructions through(if this is a problem, such as blood or mucous).

Also, she wanted me to practice being very conscious of diaphragmatic breathing. Which does bring an awareness to how much space can be used to inhale.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of other possibilities and your heart could be an issue as well.

For me it was extreme pain and spasming on inhaling, which left shallow breathing as my only option and severe air hunger.

When it was really bad, I got a prescription for sublingual ativan to calm me down as my anxiety was so bad I'd breath faster & then, I'd feel like I was suffocating.

Sleepy.

Posts: 140 | From Vancouver Island | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wlf5286     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleepy, thank you so much for your reply. There is some really good suggestions there & i'm very grateful to you.

Interestingly, i am just recovering from pleurisy. I had it two years ago, quite badly but this time, just my left side was affected. This does indeed make breathing harder but the air hunger has been getting steadily worse for the last year or so.

I can't remember who said what ( Lyme brain, sigh! ) but i have been pulsing abx for the last 10 months after a long break because i was told that after 3 years regular IV, i would be clear of infection & what i had was post lyme syndrome. This is what we seem to be up against in the UK. I had a microscopy with one of our LLMD's & he found me to be heaving with ketes!

It's obvious that the abx i'm pulsing have done nothing & so we are re-thinking options at the moment.

You are right about the shallow breathing, i know that i do this as a defence against pain & spasm but whether excercises will help??? I seem to spasm at the slightest thing.
Would the hot towel be better than a heat pad ( i use one every day for relief )& does the steam make any difference if it's on the chest & not being breathed in?

Thanks again, it was great ( not that i wish this on anyone else ) to find someone else affected by pleurisy through Lyme. This is such a complex disease, it's no wonder we find it so hard to keep up!

Healing hugs,
Wendy. x

suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wendy

It's Emma from Belfast here...I have had the air hunger symptom too off and on for years and I think it was the Babesia..Dr B agreed.

At times I used to not be able to walk to the top of the street without feeling suffocated and that I may pass out.

When I started Azithromycin on a tiny dose the symptom came on badly and I was taken into hospital...I felt like I was breathing but no air was going in.

My blood oxygen level was measured and was fine and a chest x-ray showed nothing but the doctor could hear a pleural rub in my left lung...presumably caused by the infection.

I think I still get this mildly when taking antibiotics at times though it is not as bad as it used to be before Mepron/Zith.

Love Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this too, it's awful. The first time around, Mepron and Zith worked. I'm now completing my second 6 week round of Mepronand Zith but till having the air-hunger feeling. It's awful.

Also, my resting pulse will be around 60, but climb one flight of stairs,a nd it's 110. PArtly due to deconditioning and weight gain, maybe some anxiety too? I hate it!!

i have been to a cardiologist, had a cardiac ultrasound, EKG, etc., and everything is normal. Maybe a 5 week herx?? Who knows. It's a vicious cycle-- I get the air hunger, get anxious, it gets worse, etc. So I take a half doseof Xanax if it's really bad. LAtely my arms and legs feel like they get no oxygen, walking or holding my arms out for driving brings on increased muscle fatigue.

It does not help that i started a new full time job this week. WAs only 3 days a week before, and shorter hours. Now i have an 8 hour day and an hour's drive each way. i guess I need to adjust.

Sorry, bad typing, not feeling well.

Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Hi Emma,
Only just last night, i was asking our mutal friend, how you were doing!

I'm not sure about the babs in my case. Sending off a Bowen next tuesday coz AW thinks i should get it checked again. Everyone seems to think i have all the symptoms & i wouldn't be surprised especially from the amount of ab pain i get.

What you just described is what happened over this last infection i've had. I called the Doc out when my breathing got really laboured & he said straight away that he could hear a "creak". It hasn't been as bad this time & i seem to be over the worst of it now although i still ache under the rib cage, my left side too.
I just asked AW about zith & he's getting back to me after some consideration.
I didn't know you'd had pleurisy too! It's a miserable business isn't it!
Hope you feel a little better once you get over this latest, added stress.
Healing hugs,
Wendy. x

wlf5286
Member # 5186

Hi Cindy

I think cardiac symptoms often come with herxes, even if there doesn't seem to be an obvious problem. Many people complain of the feeling of heart racing or even slow beating.

I have arrythmia & also some scarring ( supposedly from all the iv i've had but i'm not so sure )but the air hunger doesn't seem related to that.

I don't get to excersise as such because i'm in a wheelchair & all my excersises are physiotherapy related so i guess that my lungs will have lost condition & sleepy has a very good point about loss of lung capacity.

I hope that you full time job goes well for you although i guess it will take some adjusting!

Best wishes,
Wendy.

Rita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulseox is the wrong check for the air hunger we suffer from. I don't know the name of the test but you breathe thropugh a short, larger diameter toilet paper tube hooked up to a machine. An allergist in NY gave it to me. My pulseox is always good but this showed I was getting only 77% of the air I should.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the tests you are referring to are called PFT's (pulmonary function tests).

My son is always short of breath from asthma and this is how they measure his lung function.
I believe the FEV1 (forced expiratory volume) is the important part.

Hope this helps someone that may need to have breathing tests performed.

Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wendy

The pleural rub in my case was really minor, not requiring treatment...I just wanted to mention it as it can be caused by these infections.

The pleural rub was identified last May when I was the most ill I have ever been and was in hospital overnight.

I had abdominal pain then too...felt nauseous all the time then felt as if I'd been punched in the gut when I ate, weeks of that meant I became anorexic.

I am doing a lot better now thankfully & able to work a bit - the year of Mepron/Zith REALLY helped but Dr B wants me to stop it now and not be on it over a year.

I still get palpitations on exertion and badly in bed at night though...not sure if they are Babesia, Bartonella or NMH tho!

Hope Dr W can get some co-infection treatment
sorted out for you soon.

Love Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While looking for another post, I found this post.

I had tried to find this post earlier and couldn't.

I wasn't able to read all the posts again tonight, but I wanted to thank the person who said it is like trying to breath through a straw or sponge.

That is a good way of explaning it.

I have had this problem since Oct. 2001. Hopefully, I will find a way to get back to normal soon.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sleepy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sleepy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wendy! You have no idea how much I am relieved to hear of others too who have developed pleurisy as a result of lyme. I need to print this out to take to my ID doctor. He said he had never heard of such a thing, but felt it was *possible* to have a herx that presented like this.

Now, you asked about the heat and whether or not a heating pad would work as well as a hot wet towel. I asked the respiratory therapist the same question and she said it was the moist heat on the lungs that seemed to make the difference.

Now, she said to me, that I had better get the pleura moving or I would be in for some permanent damage. That was a pretty big motivator for me, and I sleep almost all of the time with this head crushing fatigue. So, I try to even just breath big (and I sing!!) every time I think of it......and with lyme brain, of course that's never often enough! :>)

But, pain really is a good reminder.

The other thing I thought maybe worthwhile mentioning is that I had this thing I had bought years ago to help enhance my performance for cycling called a "power lung". Its a resistance breathing apparatus and I showed that to the respiratory therapist and she said it was designed after a system that was used for quadraplegics (or paras, I forget) to use to exercise their lungs.

I find right now, just doing the expansion exercises is enough for me, but I might move to something like that. You might set up a meeting with a respiratory therapist to discuss some options..

I found that just by knowing what was causing the pain, made it a lot less scary.

Sleepy!

Posts: 140 | From Vancouver Island | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Icon 14 posted      Profile for wlf5286     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on the power lung, Sleepy. Lyme has left me a paraplegic so maybe this would be useful to me. It's worth looking into.
I hope that this thread will help you with convincing your Doctor that Pleurisy is definately an issue in the Lyme community.
I wonder just how many people who think that they suffer air hunger, actually have pleurisy?!

Wendy. x

gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wlf-

To add to what I posted in March. I started Zithro/Ceftin/Malarone/Artemisinin combination to combat Babesia and this air hunger symptom has been much less frequent.

This is what I posted before.

The key is, have your oxygen levels been ok when tested? Mine are fine. It feels like I have to concentrate to get a deep breath. I feel like I get enough air when I yawn but that is about it when it hits me. It can last for days, weeks or months.
Some things that have helped:

My osteopath doctor said that my diaphragm wasn't moving right, he gave me some exercises to try several times per day. It's hard to explain in writing, but bend your arms toward you in front, With your hands tucked under your chin slowly raise your arms up, out and around..Breath in while doing this. When you bring your arms down, breath out. Try this about 10 times a few times a day.

Next magnesium. This will help the muscles. Try an anti-inflammatory.

Heat can provide some benefit. Lastly, when it is really bad I went on some short-term Lorazapam. Not much, only twice a day worked for me. Also, taking Ambien worked too. I was so afraid I wouldn't wake up because of the breathing I had a hard time sleeping. Some times I'd wake up gasping, I still do that sometimes.

The docs theory is that the lyme/coinfection is hitting the muscles/nerves around my stomach/chest area, making me more aware of the breathing and making it harder to get the muscles to do what I want.

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to be checked for mycoplasma. That commonly effects the lungs and is another common lyme co-infection.

My LLMD thinks all of my breathing problems are due to that, not lyme.

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wlf5286
Member # 5186

Hi Gopats,

I do remember your helpful & comprehensive post from march. I did take up some of your suggestions but my current condition makes it more complicated than it seems.

Magnesium, i have been on it some years. I am magnesium deficient anyway but i take high doses so if that was going to help me, i would have thought it should have by now.

I did ask my Doc about Lorazapam but he said no because i am on morphine.

My oxygen sats vary. As i have been saying in this thread, i have had pleurisy. That has affected my oxygen levels, but i have also had ok results too.

I am waiting for a result from Bowen regarding Babesia but i'm not so sure that this is the whole cause of the air hunger as i have heard that with Babs, it is a constant problem, where as mine is intermittent & worse at night.
As i also said in this thread, excersise is a problem for me. My paralisis includes the upper abdominal muscles & partial diaphragm. I also suffer diaphragmatic spasm so deep breathing can set of major spasm.
I am being transferred to another physio therapy unit because they cover cognative function so i'm hoping that they will address the resporation issue too.

I use a heat pad every single day & night as the spasms respond to heat but i think i will try sleepy's suggestion of a hot wet towel & see if that helps too.
I have asked my LLMD if i can try Zith / mepron / regardless of the bowen result because none of my Lyme treatment, over 11 years,has had any effect at all & i am getting desperate. If i cover babs then i know i we haven't missed anything.

Thank you for re-posting.

Best wishes,
Wendy. x

wlf5286
Member # 5186

quote:
Originally posted by Mathias:
Be sure to be checked for mycoplasma. That commonly effects the lungs and is another common lyme co-infection.

My LLMD thinks all of my breathing problems are due to that, not lyme.

Mathias,

Would that come up on a Bowen if they are looking for coinfections or do you need a specific test? If so, who would test for it? I'm in the UK so i'd have to fedex a sample.
Thanks,
Wendy.x

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement