LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » root canal removals?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: root canal removals?
swissmoeka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swissmoeka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone, I wondered if anyone with lyme has had their root canals removed and if it has been helpful.

Or if any of you have heard of any one having it done.

Their is a Dr. in Mt. Kisco that does this from what I have heard. It's not for everyone, but certain people may have infection still inside especially those with weak immune systems who don't seem to get well. I'm not sure of all the facts.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Swiss

Posts: 482 | From NH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobusymom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobusymom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Feb. I was given the option of having my root canal redone, having holes drilled through the gumline to let the infection drain or to have it extracted. I chose extraction. I was having excrutiating pain not oly to the infected tooth but to every tooth, severe facial pain and headaches esp on the infected tooth side. It felt as though my eye was being pushed out.

The pain was drastically releived afterward and now is almost completely gone. I hated to lose the tooth as I know it will have to be replaced with either an implant or a bridge but I do ot regret it.

I think you will find if you do a search on this you will find varying thoughts...just posting my experience.

Cheryl

Posts: 204 | From kentucky | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have your root canal tested with the TOPAS test. Do a search here - I have been posting about this for years. It's inexpensive, done at either dentist or other practitioners and it will tell you whether the tooth puts out more toxin (thioether - just like a dead corpse) into your system that your body is having to deal with 24/7/365. A bad root canal is just that - bad - and most of them turn bad somewhere along the line. I have seen a woman get out of a wheel chair to which she had been confined for years with MS - after she had her last root canal finally removed. I had several root canals myself and only got well from Lyme after I had all metals and all infected jawbone removed. It wasn't easy - but I am totally well today and defeated Lyme. I am only here to tell some of you about it. The Lyme bacteria as well as many other undesirables set up housekeeping in your jaw - they are safe in this unhealthy bio-terrain. They thrive while you hurt more and more.

And I would not recommend a bridge or implant if you have Lyme disease - but simly a partial. Metal implants and neuro symptoms from Lyme do not make a good match. The opposite. Europe is now doing plastic implants and they are not as worrisome. Grinding down good teeth for bridges is the start of more evil - usually the high speed drill grinding alone eventually kills the nerve in these teeth and you then go on from there seemingly with neverending tooth problems.

Read the book "Root Canal Coverup" and do not listen to a dentist that still insists that mercury is not toxic. Remember, most dentists who today still do root canals and use toxic metals in your mouth have lost all sense for reasoning and logic and are probably very ill themselves. I have met more mercury toxic dentists that are looking for help to get well. About 20% of all dentists in Canada are on disability. The Canadian Government had the nerve to do a count.

Be very careful and find a biological dentist - a mercury free dental office and one that knows that mercury and root canals are an albatross and belong into the Middle
Age.

This has been known for 30some years for certain - the science is there - except the dentists that are handling these toxins are toxic and need help themselves. And the American Dental Association is watching.

Be very careful and learn before you do. It will save you untold agony. I have not met one cancer, MS, ALS or Lyme patient that had a healthy mouth. Only when that is taken care of do they get better and well.

Good luck.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swissmoeka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swissmoeka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
twobusymom and GiGi,

Thank you for replying to my post.

Twobusymom sorry to hear all the pain you have gone through glad to hear you are felling a little better.

GiGi this is the kind of story that I was wondering could be true? My LLMD thinks I am this person that will get better, and that this is the reason I'm not getting better. (If this all makes sense???)

He doesn't think it is for everyone but does think it is in my case for some reason.

Could you email me and let me know what Dr./
Dentist you had this work done by and if you were happy with them?

and also is it covered by Dental or Health insurance.

If not is it expensive?

Like how expensive?? OUCH! LOL!

Sorry for all the ?'s

my email is [email protected]

Thanks Swiss

Posts: 482 | From NH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had some work done by the dr in mt. kisco and I had a great experience with him and his staff.

In addition to other work, I had a dead tooth extracted and I have another one that needs to go too. My regular dds wanted to do a root canal but after all my research, there was no way I'd ever have one. I read that 100% of them will become infected.

If you choose to have it extracted, be sure to have a knowledgeable dentist do it - someone who will remove all ligaments and clean it out to prevent a cavitation from forming.

If he's still seeing new patients, Dr K would be an excellent choice - he is a very smart guy and very personable too. In fact i'm going down there this week. Feel free to email me =)

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bethe
Member # 1758

Icon 10 posted      Profile for bethe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!!!
I have been reading in here, and posting only a few times, in the last five years....and I have never seen nor read ANYTHING so crazy as I just read in this thread!
I have lyme. I have late stages lyme. I have a WONDERFUL mouth full of Teeth. I have root canals.... I have crowns, silver fillings, I have composite fillings. I also have a bridge!
What ON EARTH are you crazy's talking about? Do any of you have a degree in Dentistry?
DUH! Sorry, but you have hit a BIG NERVE with this one.
OK....LESSON NUMBER ONE IN DENTISTRY
A root canal in a tooth MEANS that there:
1. has been so much decay in your tooth, that it's gone into the nerve.(neglected mouth)
2. trauma to a tooth,ie... basketball game hit with an elbow (doubt this would be any lymie as they don't have the energy to play anything!)
3. Fracture, as in biting down on ice, slowly fracturing down into the LIVE nerve.

When a root canal is done, the LIVE nerve is taken out of each canal. Each tooth as different amounts of roots.(molars...3-4)

When decay has been there for YEARS with NEGLECT, the nerve can become hard and almost wood like feeling. Those are the hardest to get out. Dentists and Endodontists have precise instruments to do this with! ALL YOU ARE HAVING TAKEN OUT OF YOUR TOOTH IS THE ICKY OLD NERVE! You will FEEL BETTER WITH THE YUCK OUT OF THERE.
When filling the empty canals after the nerve is taken out, they use a sterile rubber/plastic substance called Gutta Percha. NOT MERCURY! When building the tooth back up, glass Ionomers are used.
It never ceases to amaze me how you all seem to think you know everything about everything, and that you BLAME everything on EVERYTHING! By the way.... cavitration is a form of cleaning one's teeth. It is with a machine called a Cavitron..... blows pumice/salt with water and air to the enamel part of the tooth. If you were to do it in an extrated site, you'd have a dry socket with lots of other problems!!!
IF you 'take out a root canal'...that means you're extracting a tooth!!!! no other way to do it. The things you people said make no sense as far as what is really done on a tooth. Your wording and all is really sort funny..... sorry, but true.

Lyme disease is getting a bum rap because of crazies like this!

SO, all of you that are getting that so called bad mercury out of your teeth.... you're either toothless (and aweful cute?) or you have the new plastic white fillings.... which someday soon they will be crying wolf about because of reactions to the bonding agents, glass particles, and plain old plastic in their mouths!Crowns and bridges are made of porclein fused to metal...NOT MERCURY. Some are even all proclein. Implants are titanium. Removalable partials are made of acrylic's and metals.... eww....and a mouth full to gag on!
Are you taking notes on all the different metals and plastics that you are saying to use?
PLEASE.... if you have rotten teeth in your mouth...yes... that can give you infection in your body! Having a root canal WILL NOT give you an infection.... UNLESS you go to a dentist as smart as you all!

By the way.... I've gone through the whole IV therapy..... years of antibiotics..... didn't do anything unusual to feel like this.... BUT I"M PRETTY MUCH NORMAL with my lyme! If I WERE TO HAVE A TOOTHACHE THOUGH.... I SURELY WOULDN'T BLAME IT ON LYME.... GET REAL YOU GUYS... NOT EVERYTHING IN YOUR BODIES IS LYME RELATED!!!!!

Now if someone wants to ban me from reading in here... so be it.
I have read enough of some of this silly stuff.
FYI...I do have my degrees on Dentistry.

Swiss...please don't waste your money on your teeth, unless you need a good cleaning and exam. Yes, if there is decay in one's mouth, it needs to be taken care of.

Dentistry is one of those subjects that everyone has a bigger and better horror story than the next.... which is sadder than the treatment of lyme!!!

People USE YOUR HEADS!
Amazing is how and where you all get the money to pay these quacks to remove your fillings..... they are taking you to the bank everyday!...and they are the first to admit it!
Best wishes to you all .....
Just me with my metal mouth and loving life....Bethe

[This message has been edited by bethe (edited 15 June 2004).]

Posts: 34 | From Montana | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bethe,

With your "degrees on dentistry",[sic] your bias on this topic is predictable. However, I am aware of a number of people on this an other lists who have been helped immeasurably by getting infected root canals and cavitations remediated.

While you have every right to your opinion, others have the right to explore and discuss things that go against your grain without having their mental capabilities called into question.

We're all trying to get well and have individualized challenges to be addressed along the way.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Bethe, Not sure I should say welcome back to Lymenet. Weren't you here and posting similar "information" in 2001? Were you the person that is in the business of selling
dental materials? Somehow your post seems to ring a bell.

Let me just say that you are welcome to hang on to your teeth "as is" and you are welcome also to hold on to your Lyme as well as all other undesirable microorganisms that tend to come with it.

We all have a choice. Insults are not called for.

For the people who want to learn more about the subject at hand:

... ALT Research Founded by Dr. Boyd Haley. Hugnet Research in Toxicity Dr. Hal Huggins.
ToothWisdom.net. Root Canals, Extractions & Mercury Amalgam Fillings. ...
webpages.charter.net/kyarbrough/rootcanals.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

DENTAL AMALGAM MERCURY SYNDROME
... Dental Lab web site( Dr. Boyd Haley, Chairman, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Kentucky) www.altcorp.com (root canals, cavitations, mercury, tests for root canal ... www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/damspr11.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

NICO
... The results of recent research of Dr. Boyd Haley (Chairman, Department of Chemistry,
University of Kentucky) show that ... Do root canals also cause NICO lesions? ... www.medical-library.net/sites/_cavitations.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

Root Canals
Root Canals. Boyd Haley on Root Canals. ...
tuberose.com/Root_Canals.html - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

Natural Dentistry
Here are some educational links on the subject of root canals. ALT Lab was developed
by Drs. Boyd Haley and Kurt Pendergrass of the University of Kentucy. ... www.saveyourteeth.com/endomicroorganisms.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Prescription Drugs: Five Lifesavers
... cavitation samples tested for bacteria and toxins by Dr. Boyd Haley tested positive. ... Mercola
in the Optimal Wellness Newsletter in the "Root Canals Pose Health ... www.babyboomers-seniors.com/may00/daviswill.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Ask Dr Stoll - Mercury Toxicity post archive
... (18); June 22, 2001 - Professor Boyd Haley Rebuts ADA in Letter to Rep. ... (2);
January 05, 1999 - do root canals and cavitations threaten immune system? ...
askwaltstollmd.com/archives/mercury.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Natural Horizons Wellness Center - Specialities
... We now find that the walls of a root canal tooth can house microorganisms that ... 75%
of all RCT's have some toxicity according to the research by Dr Boyd Haley). ... www.naturalhorizonswellness.com/johnson2.htm - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Biologic Root Canal
... to research by Dr. Boyd Haley of the University of Kentucky, 75% of root canal
teeth have residual bacterial infections remaining in the dentinal tubules. ... www.icnr.com/biologicaldentistry/ biologicalrootcanal.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Please visit the Tashi Palkhiel web site
... Well worth the time to brouse through for masses of scientific information. It
is the home of Prof. Boyd Haley. Root Canal Cover Up. The Gerson Institute. ... www.zip.com.au/~rgammal/LinksFramesetMain.htm - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

All I can say, become informed. I wish I could put you in contact with the many people I know who have regained their health and/or vastly improved after paying attention to their teeth/jawbone, one of the most favored spots of Lyme bacteria, etc. in the body.

Good health.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swiss,

I dont know anything about dentistry, but i do have a MOUTHFUL of work.

I actually, had two root canals done about 3 weeks ago. Seriously, i have a total of around 9-10 done. Im not really sure. I have a bunch of crowns, fillings you name it.

Why would someone need a root canal removed?

Is it only if its giving you trouble? Are root canals bad?

I have the best endodonist here in Miami. I had two root canals done in one day and i only took a couple advils the next day. Im talking no pain. Hes amazing.

Anyway, i was just curious. Im going to be in big trouble if i need to start changing any of my dental work.

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate to intrude this heated debate but i am also a dentist for 23 years.
there is a lot of merit in what bethe is saying.
the problem with dentistry now is that there are few biocompatible materials the dentist has to use. tthe only materials the dds has to use now that are biocompatible are titanium, porcelain and gold.
gold is the best material but not a practical material for noraml fillings. composite fillings in back teeth break very easily, are hard to put in and don't last more than 5 years and usually have lots of decay aroud them when removed.
most biologic dentists are just in it for the money and know very little about biocompatibitily,just how to take out old fillings and replace with composites.
as far as root canals are concerned , if done under sterile procedures and done correctly the failure rate of root canals is less than 10%.root canals should be sterile prior to the filling material is cemented in and with a crown on top ,there should be very little problems with infections. in 23 years of dentistry i only had to retreat a handful of root canals.
Cavitations are known as residual cysts and if you go to a good dentist these should be removed at the time of extraction.removing teeth cause them to shift and decrease the verical dimmension of the jaws and cause tmj problems and spasms in the musculature of the upper and lower jaw.
i have been sick for ten years have 2 root canals and many amalgams, some just replaced with composites less than 6 months ago and need replacing already.
my opinion is it is isn't broke don't fix it. if its broke then use composite or a crown

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swiss,

If you're still seeking information on this, try posting on this list:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lyme-naturalhealthcare/?yguid=170964417

where other paradigms of healing are embraced and explored.

Sue

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 15 June 2004).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobusymom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobusymom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bethe

It is so good to hear you have a wonderful set of teeth. You are very fortunate. My root canal was done two years ago following a car accident which shattered every molar in my mouth. Had multiple crowns placed and fillings redone along with the root canal. It was also at this time that symptoms of lyme emerged due to the toll placed on my immune system from the wreck and two surgeries.

Nothing in my post referred to lyme as the culprit to my infected root canal...could have been having to wait a week to get back into the dentist and THEN she realized I needed a root canal, could have been having it done in one day without the usual sterilization done, could be the lyme, could've been a number of things.

All I know is the pain began after the root canal, was shown to have major infection prior to the extraction and pain was releived after extraction. I too, have done the IV thing (prior to extraction ) and numerous orals. I don't understand your point on that.

As I stated in my reply to Swiss I was only posting my experience as she had others to do. Your reply is the exact reason many choose not to post here, we can do without the insults. As I stated in my response....I was only sharing my experience.

I don't think anyone will ban you from reading, but if you can't respond to a post in a more reasonable way, then maybe you shouldn't respond at all.

Cheryl

Posts: 204 | From kentucky | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bethe,

It's one thing to have an opinion, but to insult people who don't agree with you is unnecessary.

The purpose of this board is "discussion" not attacks and name calling.

You can present a difference in opinion and gain more respect if you just state your "view" on a subject. Not everyone will agree with you and you don't have to agree with them.

But, if you can't control yourself and insist on insulting people, then maybe this board isn't for you.

frenchbraid

p.s. No one mentioned cavitration. Cavitation was the term used. In your haste to insult, you must have missed that.

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

i would like to add to this conversation that you must be very wary of medical research and who does it.
Dr. boyd haley is not a dentist, not a microbiologist and not qualified to study diease in a root canal tooth. he has a private company that is for profit and makes money on the tests he talks you people into.
i have done root canals for 23 years and only had a handful that failed,yes they do fail but many times they fail because they crack. the success rate from reputable research is 90% success rate for 5 years
implants have a 95% success rate for 5 years and are totally biocompatible with the body they are made of titanium and have been used in other replacement parts of the body for 50 years.
at the present time the dentist only has titanium, gold and porcelain that are biocompatible.
composite is probably more toxic than amalgam due to the nature of uncured resins and plastic materials.
people in this lymenet must be aware that there are many,many bad reseach reports, even among the top researchers, and reading over two reports from a holistic group should not be enough proof to make an informed decision.
you must check all the research, go to the american academy of endodontics www.aae.org and see the research done by the professionals.
you must make you own decision but it must be based on good research and reputation.
unforunately there are many doctors that are praying on the sick to sell products and services due to the fact that we are all vunerable due to our disease and are willing to try almost anything for relief.
it is so important that you don't jump in and make rash decisions, teethwise or medical wise, you must read all the reports, articles and make decisions from what knowledge all the reports give you. if you need help sifting thru a report or deciding if it legitamate please don't hessitate to email me at [email protected]
by the way i was considered a very good dentist while practicing with a good reputation, and no law suits, because i didn't jump into all the new technology until it was proven effective.

docdave130
Unregistered

up for bethe
GiGi
Member # 259

Not until I paid attention to cavitations, a word I had no idea what it meant, and root canals, was I able to be cured from Lyme and all infections. Mercury toxicity and chemical toxicity was nothing new to me, but that I could be supplying the playground for all the anaerobic critters (they need no oxygen to multiply) inside my jaw/sinuses and at places where I used to have wisdom teeth removed forty years ago, all that came as a shock. Today, I know that that is the reason many Lyme sufferers keep on suffering.

I just found this old article again and thought it might be helpful to some. Let me add here that once I had the problem root canals removed, all the metals and cavitations removed and started a supervised detox program, I was well on my way to wellness. I cannot count the many co-patients that had to undergo similar procedures before, minor or major, that have regained their health by addressing the dental issue. On the other hand, as my husband did until very recently, by delaying and putting this issue on the back burner, he suffered untold problems. He is now well on his way also - looking younger and healthier every day at the age of 78. It takes time and patience, and Lyme infections are gone. The major breeding ground for the undesirable microorganism overgrowth (Lyme and co-infections, viral infections, fungi, parasites) have been eliminated.

"CAVITATIONS AND ROOT CANALS

Dr. Meinig: Well, we were talking about the fact that he didn't know about double-blind studies and what he did instead. He knew that he could introduce his own thinking into what he was doing and so he repeated a lot of things.

For instance he had a patient who had kidney trouble and had a root filled tooth. He removed that tooth, put it under the skin of a rabbit, the rabbit got kidney trouble and died within a few days. He took the tooth out of that rabbit, surgically of course, and washed it in soap and water, disinfected it with a disinfectant and put it under the skin of another rabbit and that rabbit got kidney trouble and passed away. He then took that tooth out of that rabbit and put it in another rabbit and he repeated that 30 times.

Laura Lee: The same tooth?

Dr. Meinig: That's right. The same root filled tooth. Now the reason he did that was that he had to prove to himself and to the world that this infection was able to be transferred and the only way he knew it was to do more animals and it wasn't that he disliked rabbits, in fact he took very good care of his rabbits, but this was one way he could do something about it. Now one of the things that happens with these root filled teeth is that when they are removed it is very often that periodontal membrane that is infected and the surrounding bony socket remains in the jaw and sometimes healing gets rid of that but many times it doesn't. And what happens then is an infection that occurs in the jawbone and I think we should turn this over to Dr. LaMarche because he's going to be telling you something about that phase of things.

Laura Lee: And the term cavitation. Dr. LaMarche...

Dr. LaMarche: Well cavitation actually is a cavity within the bone which was formerly occupied by a tooth. I think it's important that our listeners know that our office is one of 30 in the United States, Canada and Europe that have been selected to participate in a research group called the North American NICO Research Group. NICO is an acronym - Neuralgia Inducing Cavitational Osteonecrosis. Which is another word for dead bone, actually it literally means a cavity within the jaw that is lined with dead bone that causes pain.

Our research group was formed by Dr. Jerry Eboco who is an oral pathologist in West Virginia, and he began researching this extensively in I believe early '90s. Papers have been written on it since the '80s, and more recently he's been pursuing this and he gathered together a group of dentists so that we could make the connection between trigeminal neuralgia, atypical facial pain, chronic migraine headaches and cavitations. And what we have found in addition to this is when cavitations are removed, not only do we find that these trigeminal neuralgia's or this pain is relieved, but we find that patients also realize other improvements within their systemic health.

Laura Lee: How do you remove a cavitation, what do you mean by that? Remove the dead bone?

Dr. LaMarche: Well, cavitations do not show up extremely well on X-ray, but when they are located and maybe a little bit later we can describe how we locate them, but a cavitation is...an incision is made in the gum tissue over where a tooth was formerly located, a large enough area or flap is laid so that the gum is removed from the bone and we are allowed to penetrate the cortical plate or the bone overlying the cavitation. The dental instrument, in this case a drill, will actually fall through the bone and into this cavity. Before we clean it out, however, we go in with an instrument called a curette and scrape it very thoroughly and we submit this sample to the pathologist.

Laura Lee: What kind of lab results do you often get?

Dr. LaMarche: Well, I would say that probably 98% and even larger than 98% what we find is what's called ischemic osteonecrosis, it's bone death due to poor perfusion of oxygen or blood supply to a local area. The cavitations are lined with dead bone, the body's response to that is to...

Laura Lee: Seal it off!

Dr. LaMarche: Seal it off, it does that with fat, we will find fat in there. Ultimately the fat becomes calcified so we see what's called calcific fat necrosis. We will sometimes see chronic inflammatory cells, however that is not the hallmark of this disease, as a matter of fact we see few inflammatory cells - many times we'll see bacteria colonies, toxide filaments, within these specimens. I think another very interesting thing that we have learned from this through our biopsying is that the pathologist will identify what he terms fibrin sludging. That is the fibrin will actually start pooling.

Laura Lee: What is fibrin?

Dr. LaMarche: It is the part of the clotting factor and there is some proteins - C proteins, S proteins...

Laura Lee: From blood that was in there when the tooth was pulled?

Dr. LaMarche: Exactly. What happens is the blood initially comes into the site but because of the body's inability to break down the clot or because of the body's ability to make a very tenacious clot - one has either what's called thrombopheha or hypofibrinolysis. Laura Lee: Whichever it is, it doesn't sound nice.

Dr. LaMarche: Either one of them, one of them is a very tenacious clot or an inability to break the clot down, consequently nothing gets in, nothing gets out, we have bone death.

Laura Lee: Why does it happen in the jaw bone 98% of the time? If someone breaks their leg bone, that bone heals up nicely in most instances. Why does the body have more trouble with the jaw bone tooth extractions than say other parts of the body?

Dr. LaMarche: That's a very good question. I believe that when a bone is broken and two pieces are put together that's a different kind of...

Laura Lee: There's no space left.

Dr. LaMarche: Exactly, however what has been done in the Jewish Hospital in Cincinatti, a Dr. Glick, MD has made a direct correlation between the head of the femur, people fracturing the head of the femur, that osteonecrosis or bone death is identical to that which we find in the jaws.

Laura Lee: Because that's a more solid part of the bone, a denser part of the bone? What is it about that site?

Dr. LaMarche: I would say that probably it has more to do with the circulation to the area.

Laura Lee: Okay.

Dr. LaMarche: Again, osteonecrosis as we see it is defined as ischemic osteonecrosis and ischemic implies that it is a lack of perfusion of blood to the site.

Laura Lee: In both cases it's a lack of oxygen that leads to the mutation of the bacteria, they go from being aerobic to being anaerobic bacteria in root canal instances. And here you find a lack of oxygen to the site so there is a common factor. How often do you find where you take out an infected tooth, say a root canal tooth, either it's infected and you say I don't want to put a root canal in, let's pull it and do other options, or it's a root canal infected tooth that you pull - probably you're going to have necrotic tissue arising because it's so full of bacteria, or that compared to say a wisdom tooth that needs to be pulled for other reasons, it's not infected or impacted - it just needs to get taken out.

Dr. LaMarche: That's what we're now recommending no matter why you have to take a tooth out - even if it isn't infected, then a protocol needs to be followed and that protocol means that the dentist after he removes the tooth he also removes the periodontal ligament or membrane which is a fibrous tissue that holds the tooth in the socket, that's what keeps the tooth from failing out.

That becomes infected and it's still attached very securely to the surrounding bony socket and so what we recommend is that the dentist go in with a slow moving drill and remove that periodontal membrane and about 1 mm of the bony socket in order to prevent these infections from occurring. And strangely enough we find in many areas for instance, wisdom teeth when they're removed, even though they were healthy teeth - for some reason or another they very often develop a cavitation around them.

Some 400/0 of all wisdom teeth extractions develop cavitations and the thing that should be done and what we're thinking is better to be done, is to remove that periodontal membrane at the time you remove the tooth and some of the surrounding bone in order to prevent this from happening.

Laura Lee: Well, that's great when you're getting a tooth extracted by a dentist that knows this research and knows the procedure, but what about all those people who have wisdom teeth? I mean most of us have had our wisdom teeth extracted and they've grown over and the dentist didn't know and so then you have a situation where you probably have to go in again and clean that out as you were describing. We'll take a break and take some phone calls when we come back and what we're going to do is have information only about the topic - cavitations, root canals, nutrition.

These are the topics, and please don't get too personal and ask for a diagnosis. That's not what these two doctors are here for, but to give out information on some of this new research. We'll be right back.

Laura Lee: And we are back, hi, Laura Lee here and we are talking with Dr. Michael LaMarche, dentist in Lake Stevens, Washington area and Dr. George Meinig. He's the author of Root Canal Cover-up, and you were in Ojai, California. We have some calls for you gentlemen, we have Call calling in next. Hi, Call, thanks for joining us.

Gail: Thank you. A couple years ago I had a root canal done and as soon as it was done it didn't feel very good and I kept telling them I thought something was wrong and they told me it was a great root canal and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. And I've had a lot of pain in my right ear, and the jaw as a result and I can't find a dentist that's willing to take that tooth out. I've been to three endodontists and five dentists and no one will pull that tooth, because they look at it and say it's a great root canal. So my question is - where can I find a dentist in my area that will actually look at this and possibly extract that root canal tooth, it's a bicuspid.

Dr. LaMarche: Can I ask what area she's in?

Laura Lee: You're in Tacoma, Washington, Gail?

Gail: Yeah.

Laura Lee: Michael, you mentioned that there were 30 dentists involved in the cavitation research, what about the root canal research? How many dentists are there out there that are up on this and familiar with the work?

Dr. LaMarche: Well currently, right now, in the research group there are 30 of us, and I'm sure that there will be more.

Laura Lee: Can dentists anywhere say "I want to get involved, I want to find out?" They're looking for more dentists?

Dr. LaMarche: Yes, if they would contact you perhaps you might connect them up with me and we could make arrangements for them to communicate with Dr. Bocho so that they could learn more about this because certainly we need more involved....

Laura Lee: Is there a list available so that someone could send...I'11 be happy to distribute the information, but if there's a list then our listeners in San Francisco to Minneapolis could also write in and get a list of dentists.

Dr. LaMarche: Exactly. Dr. Bocho did ask those of us participating in this research if we would have any objections to him giving the names out and I cannot recall that anyone raised their hand and objected, so I'm sure that he would provide you with that list.

Laura Lee: And Dr. Meinig do you have any sort of list of dentists who are up on this?

Dr. Meinig: I have a list of dentists that I refer. This is such a new subject many dentists are in disagreement with it of course, because they haven't heard or seen the research.

Laura Lee: They may disagree until they see the research...

Dr. Meinig: We do have a scattering of them around the country and the only thing is that when we give you a name, the first thing you ask is whether they follow the root canal extraction protocol. Now that may sound like a lot of things to say, but if you just ask if they follow the extraction protocol and they say "yes," then fine. If they say "no," then you keep looking, because what you want is somebody that does follow that protocol.

Dr. LaMarche: I would like to add too to this, if I may, that it's very important that you have that biopsy. I think to take the tooth out, to say we've taken care of your problem, or to remove a cavitation and to say that we've taken care of the problem is incorrect without substantiating the clinical diagnosis with a pathologist's report.

Laura Lee: So what do you find out? If you had any bacteria colonies, then what? Then what do you do?

Dr. LaMarche: Well, let me say that for example root canal teeth radiographically on X-ray - they look beautiful, and there are those people that don't believe that they cause a problem and probably they don't cause a problem when one is healthy and in a healthy state. I think when root canal teeth become a problem is when one becomes older and there are more immunological challenges. Each root canal tooth that we have removed we have documented on the last 150 - 147 of those have had ischemic osteonecrosis around the tooth.

Dr. Meinig: Is it in the bone around there?

Dr. LaMarche: That is in the bone surrounding the tissue. Laura Lee: Not to mention the tooth itself, right?

Dr. LaMarche: By the way, the trichologist (fungal scientist) also decalcifies the tooth and examines if there is any necrotic or dead tissue within the tooth and some ofthese have been extremely well filled, well done technically.

Laura Lee: Okay, we have Mike calling from a car phone before he gets out of range. Hi, Mike.

Mike: This has been a very interesting topic. My wife is suffering from a probable root canal, but my question is: the research that they did with the animals where they implanted a tooth - how it had affected the kidneys which was the thing of the original patient or whatever - I wanted to know if the original human patient got better or saw improvement after that and after the infected root canal tooth was pulled out.

Dr. Meinig: Sorry I didn't answer that right away. We get so involved in telling what's wrong we forget about telling you what happens. Most of these people recover quite quickly, a little of it depends on how long they've had the infection. Obviously if they've had it for five or ten years it may be pretty well entrenched and take a while to get rid of it and may not get rid of it completely. Most of them however, go away completely and so many of them in one or two days, it's really very startling.

Some of us are beginning to think that it's a little more than the transfer of infection and it may be electrical in some way, electrical transference through the acupuncture meridians and through other systems in the body. There are a number of things we don't know about this, other than we do know that it happens and very many people by the next day - their arthritis is gone. I've had them call and tell me that they can now do their mile jogging and walking that they couldn't do yesterday when they had that tooth in their mouth.

Laura Lee: To me it seems like "hedge your bets." If there's this kind of research on line, take advantage of it and this information. Hi, Laura Lee here for a second hour to spend with Dr. George Meinig and Dr. Michael LaMarche talking about cavitations, that space left in the jawbone when a tooth is extracted can lead to having necrotic dead bone tissue there, can lead to jaw pain, neck pain, other problems. And also root canals, the theory being that, in fact this is pretty much confirmed, it's not really a theory, it's confirmed science, is it not, Dr. Meinig?

Dr. Meinig: Well, Dr. Price used 5,000 animals to help with all of this confirming.

Laura Lee: And he ran through those rabbits. The research indicating that microtubules in the tooth can harbor bacteria that mutate and that can get out into the bloodstream and cause problems and compromise the immune system and lead to degenerative diseases.

So, we're going to find out what to do, how to prevent problems and the first place is - nutrition can play a role. I know that you also did some extensive research with Dr. Price's theory that nutrition impacts the development of the jaw and the person, the personality. An extraordinary amount of research done that is being confirmed today.

By the way, someone wanted to know about getting a list of dentists in your area that is upon this research and can perform some ofthese techniques. There is a list from Dr. Bocho who is heading up the NICO research of which Dr. LaMarche is a member, one of those 30 dentists nationwide who is conducting research into cavitations. And that's one reason why you're doing the biopsies and sending it to the lab, because that's part of the research. You want to know...

Dr. LaMarche: May I add something here - that Dr. Bocho and our group has applied for a grant and we are waiting to hear from NIH, the National Institutes of Health, regarding acceptance of this grant. And it looks as though they're very excited in supporting us in our research.

Laura Lee: So this is very mainstream then?

Dr. LaMarche: Yes, it is.

Laura Lee: It's not alternative research when we have the National Institutes of Health involved.

Dr. LaMarche: No. This makes very good sense, what's happening, and you can't lie with microscopic slides.

Laura Lee: There are two lists - the Dr. Bocho list of dentists, those 30 dentists in the area, and also the Price-Pottenger list of those who specialize in root canal removal problems.

Dr. LaMarche: Right.

Laura Lee: Okay, we have two lists available and if you send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to me at P.O. Box 3010, Bellevue, Washington 98009 we'll be happy to send you those two lists. Let's take a call next from Alex calling from Salt Lake City, KCNR, hi Alex.

This was an interview from the Laura Lee Show on radio that has been edited of news and commercials. For a complete listing of over 600 interviews on cassette as well as selected videos and books, write to Laura Lee, P.O. Box 3010, Bellevue, Washington 98009, or call the hotline at 1-800-243-1438 for the newest listings"

P.S. This is an article of several years ago, so I am not sure that this phone number is still a hotline.

GiGi
Member # 259

Jill, in the last few years a new filler replaced the Gutta Percha with some dentists. Biocalix - I believe the French came up with it - but it also is disappointing.

It's a dead tooth and a dead tooth does not belong in the body. I am glad that the bonding agent they used on your fillings works. Many people can tolerate the carbon based composites, but they become reactive to the bonding agents. The materials - before they are installed permanently in the mouth - need to be tested for compatibility. Does it make sense that the common materials used today for partial dentures and dentures - the pink stuff - still contains mercury for coloring? There are others that do not contain mercury, but most dentists are not aware of this or do not care. It's a small amount of mercury, and for that reason does not need to be listed as an ingredient. Many people are allergic to this and other materials. Ever wonder why so many people walk around with a raised pulse due to the material a dentist puts in. A permanent stress factor that people have to live with for the rest of their lives. It's wake-up time for general dentistry. Sorry, Doc and Bethe.

For general info - gold is even more of an allergen to many people than mercury. My doctor tests all materials in the mouth, cured, before they are put in the mouth permanently. The titanium implant I had nearly killed me - the tooth always felt warm and I was highly allergic to the metal. It's the first thing that was removed out of my mouth - and it was not a pleasant experience. It might not have caused that, but combined with amalgams, crowns and bridge metals already in my mouth, it caused electrogalvanism - a steady electric current leading from one tooth to the next - ongoing and forever, as long as they were in my mouth.

Neuro symptoms with depression right around the corner -- no, I did not need a psychiatrist, I needed a dentist that understood physics and chemistry.

Metal does not belong in the body, period.

The dentist never finds out what damage is being caused - because when we start getting ill with a general malaise, we normally do not see a dentist, and most medical doctors are also totally unaware of the damage that dental work can cause. And the two never sit in the cafeteria together to chat and the fact that the recently installed root canal is the culprit is never recognized.
Few people make the association like Jen13 did.

I have learned during my years of illness in meeting hundreds of patients, dentists and doctors that are seeking a better way, and fully agree with my doctor that most disease starts in the mouth. He puts it at 85%. Pretty sad that this continues and causes unpleasant discussions as displayed in this thread.

I have also learned that you can try every possible treatment, therapy, antibiotics for years of every type, gold, silver, supplements, physical therapies, herbals, rife - name every modality that has been talked about for years on this and other boards - if your mouth and jaw needs cleaning up, if the metals and toxins are still sitting in your brain and body, good health is still a mile away.

This has been my experience. I know this is a touchy subject. After I read one page out of the middle of the book "Root Canal Cover-up" years ago - I closed the book and never touched it again. I lived with my on-and-off depression that was abnormal but manageable, until that certain day of a tick bite. I struggled for two years with pain and paralysis and major brain fog, and all the fixes that most of you use. Meeting a genius physician that told me to clean up my mouth via the best dentist I could find, is what got me eventually well. The tick bite only was the straw that broke the camel's back - that's what he told me within the first five minutes of my first visit.

No, Doc, he is not in it for the money. He is in the real healing business as is the dentist that did my work. And you must know that toxic people are not the most pleasant patients to deal with. I think they really deserve every penny and much, much more.

Good luck to all.

jen13
Unregistered

I agree w/ what you say, Gigi.

I did try biocalex after the gutta percha, but it is not a good enough seal, frankly. I still remember all that agony of trying multiple root canals and finally giving up the tooth.

To prevent decay in the first place is the best idea. I now am more careful (was careless in earlier years). Get cleanings twice a year or even more often. I use hydrogen peroxide and water in my water pic once or twice a day--kills all the bacteria that would be causing decay. Haven't had a cavity since then knock on wood (or knock on tooth?). Also I've heard chewing xylitol gum, if you can stand it, prevents cavities (I don't like xylitol).

They cure my white fillings with some kind of light. I guess that's pretty common. I think it makes them pretty strong.

The metal fillings can, I suspect, change ethe pH of your saliva, and it's the pH that somewhat determines your susceptibility to cavities in the first place. Nobody has investigated this but I bet there would be a correlation.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement