LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I Appear To Be Falling Apart!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Appear To Be Falling Apart!
Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what's up.

I have long-term Lyme, Bartonella, and, apparently, Babesia. (I've never had a positive test result, but I have symptoms and have responded to past, brief, treatment.)

Some new stuff cropped up, beginning in March. I've been very sick, and I don't know if it's one or more of the above becoming more virulent, or a new disease altogether.

My SED rate has been climbing. In all my years with the tick diseases, I appeared to have a low SED rate. I also have joint pains that are unusual. I'm having a lot of digestive problems, also unusual. I was in the ER Friday morning, thinking I was having a heart attack. I had sharp, radiant pain in my mid-chest and upper back. My thyroid disease is getting worse even while on treatment.

It's like all h*ll has broken loose.

I'm not on ABX. I haven't had much of them. I have severe intolerances to most. I didn't respond to IV doxy after a few days, it seems.

I'm using Rife (Please be fair, and don't attack my treatment method), but I haven't used it for months since things went haywire.

I had two Hep-B shots, one in March, one in April. Maybe they set something off. I don't know.

My Lyme doctor ran no less than 26 tests--24 blood, one urine, and one stool test. My gastro doc ran blood tests and sent me for CT scans with contrast. I got more tests in the ER. My blood calcium is low, and that's never been a problem. Other values were off, too. I have yet to receive most of the results.

I'm not doing anything differently. I'm scared.

I wonder: autoimmune disease? digestive disease? I tested positive for IgG Mycoplasma, but I don't have current infection, according to the lab. I wonder about worms, too, since I noticed something bizarre when I took my stool test. (I don't want to be graphic.)

Thanks for listening. I had to get this out. Meanwhile, I'm planning to go back to school--to become a PA! I have great determination, hope, and faith.

I also have little money and am intolerant of many herbal/natural treatments, too.

Steph

[This message has been edited by Starphoenix (edited 13 June 2004).]

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steph, I'm so sorry to hear it.

The gut stuff, inflammation, and joint pain -- sounds intestinal, at least in part. My husband had this on and off for years, with occaisional intense and incapacitating pain in the chest area, as you describe. It resolved, eventually, after treatment for C difficile, H pylori, yeast, and using Zhang's therapy (it was the garlic that did in the yeast, I believe) How are you on leaky gut?

Parasites could be a good bet too. And, given the time of year, I also wonder about mold. The timing with the shots does sound suspicious. Might be several things that you've had in the background, with a trigger to set off a reaction.

You'll know more when the tests come back, I hope.

I know you don't want to hear this, but this is me speaking from bitter experience:

Be terribly careful about school. Do less than you think you can. I finally wore my long-suffering adrenals out, trying to work and do school etc. It's taken forever to get them even marginally back online. In the end, it was fatigue and fatigue-related brainfarts that put me on disability; I could cope with everything else.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I'm editing hear to say that I agree that TBDs are probably your primary problem. But the rest -- leaky gut, parasites, reaction to the vaccine -- can have a profound effect on how well your body can handle the TBD. In my experience, anyway.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 14 June 2004).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much, Minoucat!

I'm quite sure I have leaky gut. I think that's been the cause of my MCS.

I still don't have most of my results. I'm trying to be patient....

All the best to you, Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Star,
Sorry to hear all these problems you're having.
I tried several things after my first ...'treatment' ... failure. Some helped considerably. But all the while the lyme etc. was in there colonizing new parts of my body. When the s- hit the fan and I got really sick, I finally got around to finding a good doc. The treatment? Lots of abx, along with intensified herbal treatments.
It was tough financially. It was friggin EXXpensive- almost Exxed me right out! But I HAD to climb out of the lyme hewllhole-- I was so sick I could barely do anything!
I hope you pull through as soon as possible. From my experience, lyme needs at least some of the pharm stuff (abx, etc.)
Some herbals are quite powerful, though-- concentrated garlic, combined with artimisinin/artimesia anua (artimisinin is the extract of artimesia anua) is quite effective against babesia.
I took atovaquone, too (expensive stuff!), but I don't have a spleen which makes babesia much more serious. However, from the course of events I realy think the artimesia compounds were the most effective component against babs.
Against Lyme I used olive leaf extract combined with grapefruit seed extract, 250mg twice a day of both. They are actually pretty rude on the gut- be carefule to drink enough water. I tood them on an empty stomach. I have a suspicion the garlic/artimesia anua combi was also good againt lyme, but it might have been just that clearing the babs made the lyme much more possible to deal with.
I don't know much about bartonella, though. There's probably something herbal that would help. You might try searching google, "herbal treatment bartonella".
For me, Doxycycline was good at a higher dose, and it's not as expensive as some . it fights ehrlichia as wll as lyme. I did, however, usually take it in combi with other pricier abx.(like cefuroxime axefil or clarithromycin)
You may be able to get help with meds. There's a "needy-meds" program that may be worth looking into. I can't find the info, but somebody around here might have it. There's a lot of hoops to jump through, of course.
Good luck!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reibersc
Member # 5752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reibersc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post raises a very interesting question to me. Although I am still working on getting an official diagnosis and confirmation of LYME disease, I have all the clinical bells and whistles. For the past several years , I attributed all of my symptoms to other things and never thought about Lyme disease. Several months ago I got a Tetnus/Dyptheria shot. That was when it all broke for me. My symptoms intensified and new symptoms developed. My knees, ankles, and wrists felt like they were sprained and I broke out in itchy rashes, but only in the joint areas. My doctor attributed it to an allergic reaction to the shot. The rashes and joint pains went away, but the other lyme symptoms have become worse and new ones are manifesting. It was after this shot that I began to poke around the medical sites and came across a symptom list on Lyme and was floored by how many symptoms I had. It also provided a better explanation for my symptoms rather than the doctor's assessment that I had chronic fatigue syndrome, or depression and fibemyalgia rheumatica.

I was wondering if vaccinations and such somehow cause the disease to go into high gear.

I also have a friend who, after her flu shot, fell apart worse than me. She was virtually asymptomatic before her shot and was told when she came up with all the classic Lyme complaints including fatigue and cognitive deficits that she had rheumatoid arthritis.

Posts: 23 | From Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Reibersc,
Yes, vaccinations, flu shots, surgery etc. can really put the Lyme in high gear. Many others have had the same problems after having an injection of some sort. The same thing happened to my family as well some years ago. Wishing you better health. Barb

Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate you people so much!

I wish I weren't so reactive (negatively) to ABX and herbs. It's ironic; the Lyme, etc., caused the sensitivities, but now I can't use many things to treat it! My docs (PCP and Lyme doc) know to give me as little as possible. It puts me in a bind.

I had exploratory pelvic surgery in February and then the two shots. Maybe it is "only" the tick diseases and not something new. I think these things make the germs more virulent somehow. And I must get another shot in September....

Well, I'll see what the tests turn up, if anything, and go from there.

Hey, Cave76. I love that word, wonky. I have to add that to my vocabulary. I use the word "bazooka" in that context, like "It all went bazooka."

[This message has been edited by Starphoenix (edited 14 June 2004).]

Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Cave76: As a matter of fact, I have had PID. Unfortunately, I got an infection on my honeymoon!

I've had two attacks since then, although there has been controversy as to whether or not I've ever had it. I'm sure I've had it at least once.

Anyway, my organs looked nice and pink. I got to see the pictures.

Steph

jen13
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about IV magnesium? It seems to me it would help myoclonus.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I know no one who would do it, and I couldn't afford it. Steph
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all the lab work that you are waiting for doesn't give you a picture of what's going on, have your LLMD refer you to an endocrinologist for a work up.

Again...what are your reactions to antibiotics? A herx can feel like you're going to die...absolute misery....but it's an unfortunate part of the healing process...like sickness with chemo....with lyme you feel rotten, which means you're getting better.

I"m not insisting that you are experiencing herxheimer reactions, just curious as to how you respond to abx...

Thanks,
Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punkie
Member # 5402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Punkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Star!

My Lyme was triggered by Tetanus/Dyptheria vaccination also. I spent 6 month in the hospital as a baby after dyptheria vaccine.
3o years later I moved to states and didn't know that tetanus vaccine includes dyptheria.

I'm also allergic to most abx after about 2 days of use - I can't breathe and usually develope a blood clot (mostly in lungs or brain). So I had no abx treatment in 10 years of Lyme.

But 3 weeks ago I started insulin potentiated therapy, which uses tiny amounts of abx and flagyl once a week. I herxed reaaly bad for 6 days (to the point of "I don't want to live anymore), but now I'm much better.

I have to see the situation after 5 more treatments. My doc does it for 8 weeks to see if it worked. So I don't know if it is just temporrary improvement.

Before I have started this therapy I went thgrough NAET - allergy ellimination technigue at my chiropractor's office. May be that also helped.

It sound awfull but sometimes I get jelaus of other Lyme patient who have the "luxury" of taking abx daily for long period of time.

Hope you get some answers to your current situation and will be able to pull through it.

Wish all well!

Punkie

------------------

Posts: 89 | From Vail, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jen13
Unregistered

Ok, how about IM magnesium? You can do that yourself. My friend gives himself a shot in the butt, amix of magnesium, b6 and b12 (the latter for energy). The mixture helps mitigate the sting of the magnesium. It is very helpful and pretty cheap. Need a holistic doc to prescribe it and teach you how to do it. Magnesium stops migraines, asthma attacks, and is used to stop premature labor (magnesium sulfate). It seems to me it would help but who knows.
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

I have life-threatening responses to any "moldy" ABX. That rules out penicillins and cephalosporins. I don't respond to high doxy. I can't take quinilones (like Cipro) because of a dangerous heart effect. I have intolerable side effects with macrolides (not from herxing). I had a serious reaction with sulfa, and I mean serious!

I don't want to get into this much because I say, to each his own: I, personally, don't believe in long-term use of ABX anyway, for a few reasons. That's why I bought a Rife.

My husband and I are in fairly dire financial straits. We live hand to mouth and are in overwhelming debt. That's why I can't afford to see a holistic doc (must take insurance) and can't afford most supplements. I don't tolerate most natural treatments anyway. It's the darn MCS.

I deeply relate to your struggle, Punkie (and love that name!), and I hope you find relief soon.

Steph

jen13
Unregistered

Ok, here's a final thought. Allergy Research makes a magnesium solution. You can find it on amazon.com or vitaminshoppe.com. It might be better absorbed than tablets. I am as sensitive as you and can't tolerate antibiotics probably also because of systemic yeast and mold sensitivities. I've done fairly well on other treatments. I don't know where I'd be without my vitamin/mineral IV's ESPECIALLY magnesium, glutathione, and hyperbaric. They have made a big difference. I am still adding in other stuff. Once I go through a detox protocol I'm going to start back in on ozone but I realize I need to do some detoxing first to handle the die-off.
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IWith the cascading effect your immune system has shown here...

Starphoenix.....please consider Benicar and the Marshall Protocol...it is designed to stop the over reacting immune system.

Kent

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Hey, Fish Man.

I don't know anything about those protocols. I haven't been at this site much recently.

If it's herbal, I can't take it. I'm severely reactive to most drugs and herbs. Also, if it costs more than like, um, $1, I can't afford it.

It s*cks.

Steph

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement