LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone out there good on interpreting my equicocal Med lab test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone out there good on interpreting my equicocal Med lab test
Murt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping someone could give me some insight.
I got many negative lyme tests locally, but a CDC positive from Igenex last year.

I have been on meds for a year.
My new primary told me to stop meds and stupidly I did.
After 2 weeks off meds My lyme doc sent my blood to MEDLab (than I started back on them)

I was always in a bit of lyme denial because
I could never get a local test with one lyme band. I wandered about my Igenex test.

Now for the question, MedLab in N.J. said Neg. PCR for lyme but on the western blot I got Equivical IGM bands 58 and 41
IGG bands 41 and 31
Now does that mean I have lyme disease or not. After a year of meds I feel better but not good. I take Mepron because my Quest test said "out of range" but my MedLab said negative (Go Figure). Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 104 | From Thornton Pa. USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOps I meant equivical, Sorry, maybe it is lyme since I am definelty brain dead tonight.
Posts: 104 | From Thornton Pa. USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could checkout tincup's article in the forum. Wish I had seen it when I started asking questions. It is very good and has some good info on the Western Blot.

My daughter has had negatives and equivocals and just recently had positive urine tests. good luck!

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murt,

bands 31 and 41 are lyme specific- so even if the test comes out negative, equivocal or positive, you have to look at the bands.

Because of CDC restrictions, you have to pull so many different bands out of a hat and have what THEY want for any lab to consider you positive. BUT,

when you break down and look at the bands, you can see that you are infected with lyme otherwise you wouldnt be showing any antibodies to it at all, even if OVERALL- it comes out equivocal.

Uh- I hope that made sense, after six months of torture I am just NOW finally having a REAL herx and not just CRAP cause on the wrong meds.

Its either band 31 or band 41 that could potentially mean a coinfection, and for the life of me, I cant remember which band or which coinfection, but I think I want to say erlichia.

Let me fool around on my files and see wwhat I can email you- I have a whole list of what each and every band means if you dont have those.

While MedLabs is commonly used for lyme but not exactly a tick borne lab, I think its just more proof in the pudding that this is lyme.

Now-- about that mepron LOL.. biaxin is already killing me, we should talk on phone about how the mepron goes!

Ill email you too
Jodie

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murt,

My understanding is that the tests don't mean beans.

I never tested positive either; equivocal is what mine showed.

I have Lyme and I know it because everything else was ruled out first.

PLUS the way I react to abx is common when fighting Lyme.

Sorry to say but we really don't have a good Lyme test and that's really Step #1, isn't it?

Especially when trying to convince the ducks.

Lyme is a 'clinical diagnosis'.

Lots 'o Luck!
Nancy

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so good at explaining this, but my LLMD is!

Western Blot explanation: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022767.html

Read this very carefully, especially about each of the bands you have showing up.

I hope it takes you out of denial and into proper Lyme treatment so you can get well.....oh....and dump the primary if possible!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement