LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Naturopaths...how many see one?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Naturopaths...how many see one?
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinkng of seing a naturopath but cannot find one that is Lyme Literate in my area. do most of you have LL Naturopaths or is the nature of their treatment such that it doen't matter if they have a lot of experience with lyme?
Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see a naturopath if I could find one.

IMO, I think it is absolutely necessary for them to be lyme literate. Otherwise, they have nothing to refer to.

I, too, thought that it might be possible for "alternative" practitioners to be more open about lyme issues. But I can tell you that my experience has been that (at least the ones I have seen) they are clueless.

So, yes, I think they MUST by lyme literate or at least lyme knowledgeable. Just my opinion.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobTX
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobTX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need to educate yourself as to what treatments you need, and educate yourself as to what practioners can provide, and then decide for yourself when to use which practitioners. One naturopath I saw was good at muscle testing and recommending supplements to balance body systems. He did not deal with Lyme at all, but his skills had value to me, so I used him for that specific issue. I also see an ND that uses energy methods. She does some support and maintenance for the protocol from my doctor.

Take the good you get from one doc, and then find another if you need more. You are not likely to find one doc who can meet all your needs.

Posts: 284 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi BobTX,

I agree with what you are saying. I was looking at it in a different light. I was thinking along the lines of if you are ONLY see a naturopath for treatment.

I do agree, however, that if you are seeing them to help you deal with the Lyme or alleviate symptoms or even help with certain conditions caused by Lyme, it would probably be fine.

CAT

Posts: 43 | From Atlanta GA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobTX
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobTX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catrina: I understand your point, and find it reasonable. I was just making the point that it will be better in the long run if you see different practitioners, and learn a lot along the way. That way you manage your illness and the treatment, instead of leaving it up to one doctor who may not have all the answers.

Chronic Lyme is a multi-system illness. No one thing will eliminate it. You need detox, balancing systems, and of course you need to kill the bugs. You have to go to different places to get all those things.

Posts: 284 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great ND, see my other posts! Several Lyme people I know travel to see her for a week / two weeks of treatments and are verh happy with her protocols,etc. She is definitely Lyme Literate. I got so tired of the abs, I am thinking it is going to be a lifelong monitoring of this disease, and keep doing therapies, etc to ward off future attacks. It concerns me this spirochete buries so deeply and can resurface years later even if apparently cured before. Any thoughts on this one ?
Posts: 116 | From Plano, Texas, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

To those of you who have a good ND,

I would like to know how you went about finding one if your LLMD didn't refer you.

I already drive out of state for my LLMD and am too ill to go very often. I would love to find an ND in my area that I could see.

Sue,
could you post or email me privately the name & number of your ND. Perhaps they might do some kind of phone consultation or be able to refer me to someone in my area.

Thanks for any help,

CAT

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naturopaths, osteopaths and holistic MD's are all great alternatives. I see an osteopath.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent you an email - good luck ! What all are you doing to get well?

quote:
Originally posted by Catrina:
To those of you who have a good ND,

I would like to know how you went about finding one if your LLMD didn't refer you.

I already drive out of state for my LLMD and am too ill to go very often. I would love to find an ND in my area that I could see.

Sue,
could you post or email me privately the name & number of your ND. Perhaps they might do some kind of phone consultation or be able to refer me to someone in my area.

Thanks for any help,

CAT

Posts: 116 | From Plano, Texas, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a local naturopath in addition to my LLMD (who is 15 hours away). She's not LL, but she's energetic and very interested. I've emailed and sent her a ton of stuff about LD, including posts from this board, and she's followed up on the info.

When I first met with her, I laid out the LD/TBD issues, what I wanted from her (help in choosing tx for detox, immune support, and natural abx that would complement the regime I'm already on; and a plan for continuing tx when I'm off abx). She was very supportive, and willing to put time into research. That's been my criteria for choosing an ND.

Sue, I'd like the name/contact info for your ND too. I'll pass it on to my ND and...SAVE THE ENTIRE STATE OF WASHINGTON FROM LYME/TBDs.

Well, maybe not, but it will surely help.

Both the local ND and the MD I see (they share an office and a practice) are suddenly recognizing LD in many of their patients. I've given them contact information, the ILADS and Burrascano stuff, other literature, and a run-down on the miserable state of LD treatment in WA and OR. It's been a good synergy, and I'm hoping they'll both get interested enough to become LLMD/NDs, rather than just Lyme Friendly.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catrina
Member # 5344

Thanks minoucat,

Your post was very helpful to me. I will keep that in mind as I continue my search. My problem is that I don't have tons o' money to visit a dozen or so & try to find one to help me.

BTW, I wanted so much to take a vacation and come to WA this year. I had hopes of eventually one day living there. Although I have never been there, I think it is so beautiful.

Please save the state as I hope to eventually get to visit there.

CAT

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you live at your posting address, you have a complete clinic with everything that one could possibly need right there. look up www.nihadc.com. Do a search on ART on that site - most of them are well trained in that. They have an MD and a naturopath and several types in between, including a biological dentist.

Hope you check ART out. I would have been lost without this form of testing/determining
what to do next.

Good luck.

Some of them, if not most of them, all have taken Klinghardt training (who helped me get "cured" from Lyme and five co-infections) www.neuraltherapy.com

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 27 June 2004).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5671

I have had all that ART, kinesiology and found that electrodermal screening is the best method. With ART you can't make custom remedies, etc which is what really helped me.
Punkie
Member # 5402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actualy diagnosed for LD from ND. It was at Sierra Intregrative Medical in Reno,NV.

They are extremely well educated in LD and use different aproach in different people, combinig all treatments - homeopathy, detox, immune boosters, T-cell repair, alophatic medicines, chiro, acupuncture, etc.

I saw a lot of patients improve beyond my belief. I learned a lot, but didn't get better.

My main point is, what do you do, when you can't afford this healtier approach? I'm still looking for other tx than daily abx. I don't have the money or energy to travel out of state for tx.

Does anyone knows about a ND, who can bill Medicare?

Punkie

------------------

Posts: 89 | From Vail, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue, the making of custom remedies has nothing to do with the type of muscle testing used by a practitioner, ART, electrodermal, or others. Custom remedies can be made in several different ways, unproblematic and without an electrodermal machine.

It's quite nice to get an antidote for a problem so quickly and inexpensively, isn't it? I have had it done many times. Glad it helps you too.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1981Z28
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1981Z28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both a ND and a LLMD and although they aren't working together, so to speak, they each know what I'm doing when and how and so far so good.

My ND has helped me to balance out my hormones, work on detoxing, clearing the lymphatic system, and cranking up the thyroid some as well as stimulating the adrenals amonst other things.

My thoughts are that there is a lot of damage that LD has done and I would rather correct it by a natural means than introduce more chemicals. I'm all for the abx protocol because of how much it's helped me and I also encourage everyone to use any natural resources they can find to help themselves, be it a ND, accupuncturist, what-not.

To answer your question, try asking around at the health food suppliers or herbalist stores, that's where I found my ND and I'm very happy with him!

Posts: 302 | From Kamloops, B.C., Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judith16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judith16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have been seeing a ND for the past four years who is wonderful and believes that Lyme is rampant in CA. I started seeing him before my dx when he lived in my area. Now he lives along the central coast. I consult with him by phone often and drive up to see him on occasion.

He has consulted with my LLMD and wants to learn as much as possible about Lyme. He also is planning to join ILADS. My PCP is an alternative medicine internist who believes in Lyme and best of all, takes insurance.

I feel I have such a great team on my side with my LLMD, PCP and ND.

Judith

Posts: 131 | From Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found my ND through the local CFS support group. It turns out he is also the one who dxd me with Lyme (with a bit of a push from me.)

He is a PA as well, so is able to prescribe all meds for Lyme as well as manage the more natural aspects.

However, I agree with several other posters that it helps to have more than one doc on board. Each brings their own unique perspective and understanding.

I see an ostepath as well, who has naturopathic leanings. Mostly they agree with each other, but sometimes one will know more than another about a certain aspect. The osteopath definitely knows more about how structure and function affects everything.

I'm finding it a good combination.

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks for all of these great perspectives. currently I am trying to decide what care I can afford with my limited $. I already have an LLMD but she isn't up on alternatives. I am going to get an appt with a naturopath locally in Richmond. There is only one so I hope she is good. I think she will beable to help me build up to fight this off.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
robi

[This message has been edited by robi (edited 28 June 2004).]

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little late to this thread, but I wanted to say that I've received absolutely invaluable "info for life" as well as important diagnostic information from my ND.

She is as important to me as an LLMD.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abbywriter
Member # 5669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abbywriter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judith,
Can you email me? I am interested in your story. I am in Los Angeles too and exploring some options.
Deanna
[email protected]

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5671

As BobTX mentioned, the LAD's also have been most helpful to me. You will find not very many ND's know how to do this properly. The clinic www.nihadc.com very is expensive and no one there can do the LAD's. Custom remedies were made based on my testing, The custom remedies are made based on test results. They can certainly be made w/o testing, but every person is different, This has worked very well for me, as I had tried everything before.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement